Just had reflash for rough shifting trans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Just had reflash for rough shifting trans

Now it seems like my steering wheel is not going down as far as it use to? Crazy Huh? I think maybe the ECM Reflash has new software that does not allow the steering wheel to tilt down as much (Limit) maybe due to airbag considerations or something. I took the car back to the dealer and they said all looked normal that the steering wheel travels no lower down then around extended straight out and thats where it stops. I coulda sworn I remembered it going down further and closer to my legs, the way it is now I can see the top of the steering wheel in my view looking out on the road, I don't remember it being like this before the flash. I dunno, maybe I'm finally cracking up, lol.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-18-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Now it seems like my steering wheel is not going down as far as it use to? Crazy Huh? I think maybe the ECM Reflash has new software that does not allow the steering wheel to tilt down as much (Limit) maybe due to airbag considerations or something. I took the car back to the dealer and they said all looked normal that the steering wheel travels no lower down then around extended straight out and thats where it stops. I coulda sworn I remembered it going down further and closer to my legs, the way it is now I can see the top of the steering wheel in my view looking out on the road, I don't remember it being like this before the flash. I dunno, maybe I'm finally cracking up, lol.
Did you check the height of your seat
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg

Hello from Venice. I would bring it right back to MB of Sarasota. They are pretty good there. Check your seat height first lol. The dealer tends to play with controls I notice.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Thats the first thing I did was move up and down the seat and play with all the seat adjustments. I dunno even know if you could make the steering wheel limit go down less through a computer reflash, if not then I guess I must just be confused as to how the car was as I do drive a E63amg and I was driving the E300 loaner and both those steering wheels go down further. Yes, I agree MB Sarasota is real good, thats where I had the car. They replaced the broken front spoiler, new tires and Service A3 and reflashed the ECM for a rough shifting trans. When I went back saying the steering column did not seem to be going down the service writer had the lead mechanic come out and talk to me and he showed me another S550 and ya, it did not seem like the steering column went down in that car anymore than the halfway point or so like mine, I just coulda sworn I remember the steering wheel tilting down much lower than the halfway point. I had a VW Golf 2015 where the same thing, the steering wheel would not go down any further than straight out. I think it might have something to do with the Air bag as if the steering wheel is tilted down too low it may not be as effective. It just seemed like it changed on my S550, I guess I'll never know.