S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Best Dash Cam for S 560 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
Best Dash Cam for S 560 Sedan

I'm looking to install a high quality dash cam in my new S 560 when I get it in a few weeks. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with these? I'm looking at a Garmin 55 or possibly a KDLINKS X1. California law permits mounting in only 3 specific places with tight limitations -- lower left, upper center or upper right. Not sure I could mount one on the back of the rearview mirror given everything else MB has placed in that area. So I'm thinking lower left. Would require snaking the power cord down the left side of the dash then under it and somehow into a usb port. Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Given how people drive here -- red light running is seen daily (and the only town in the area that has red light cameras is ripping them out next month) -- collisions are frequent and often fierce. I want to have a solid record the next time someone crashes into me.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WorldExplorer
I'm looking to install a high quality dash cam in my new S 560 when I get it in a few weeks. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with these? I'm looking at a Garmin 55 or possibly a KDLINKS X1. California law permits mounting in only 3 specific places with tight limitations -- lower left, upper center or upper right. Not sure I could mount one on the back of the rearview mirror given everything else MB has placed in that area. So I'm thinking lower left. Would require snaking the power cord down the left side of the dash then under it and somehow into a usb port. Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Given how people drive here -- red light running is seen daily (and the only town in the area that has red light cameras is ripping them out next month) -- collisions are frequent and often fierce. I want to have a solid record the next time someone crashes into me.
The best cams IMO are Blackvue and Thinkware. Dual channel setup for front and rear. We have the Thinkware F800 Pro and the Blackvue DR750s (which I am replacing with a DR900s with is 4K front, 1080P rear). The Blackvue has been a bit more touchy with heat. The Thinkware cameras are great for night recording. Use a 128GB SD card to have ample recording time fo repacking etc. Plan to spend around $500 plus install ($600 for 4k).
Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Just got my Blackvue 900S - been using 2ch Blackvue for awhile with no major complaints
Old 05-18-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
I don't see how that will help you if you get hit since it would need to pick up the entire area to be of any use.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:16 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The best cams IMO are Blackvue and Thinkware. Dual channel setup for front and rear. We have the Thinkware F800 Pro and the Blackvue DR750s (which I am replacing with a DR900s with is 4K front, 1080P rear). The Blackvue has been a bit more touchy with heat. The Thinkware cameras are great for night recording. Use a 128GB SD card to have ample recording time fo repacking etc. Plan to spend around $500 plus install ($600 for 4k).
The Thinkware F800 Pro has a much higher operating and storage temperature rating, so I think I'll be going with that one. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by carnut1
I don't see how that will help you if you get hit since it would need to pick up the entire area to be of any use.
The cameras I'm considering have a wide field of vision. Got hit by a guy who ran a red light last week and the camera would have shown clearly that I had a green light. Far too many careless and dangerous high speed drivers in this area, so I want to have hard evidence the next time someone crashes into me. Probably won't be long given the number of crazy drivers here (and bizarre intersections).
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550 4matic, 2014 Corvette, 2016 Camaro SS 2011 Lexus RX350
I have a blackvue 2 ch. Works great. Installed top right front under pass sun visor. Stay away from center top windshield electronics. I have heard of interference but also some (like mine) have some wires embedded in the glass there which ruins the view... Run wires across the top under the trim to the left fuse panel then under the door threshold trim up the side of the rear seat to the rear camera. Install the rear camera on the bottom left of the rear window to avoid the blind. Because the rear camera is on a very slopping glass and mine is not swivel adjustable like the front, mount it at a slight off level attitude and you get great coverage of the rear. A little experimenting before glueing it is worthwhile.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wilfie
I have a blackvue 2 ch. Works great. Installed top right front under pass sun visor. Stay away from center top windshield electronics. I have heard of interference but also some (like mine) have some wires embedded in the glass there which ruins the view... Run wires across the top under the trim to the left fuse panel then under the door threshold trim up the side of the rear seat to the rear camera. Install the rear camera on the bottom left of the rear window to avoid the blind. Because the rear camera is on a very slopping glass and mine is not swivel adjustable like the front, mount it at a slight off level attitude and you get great coverage of the rear. A little experimenting before glueing it is worthwhile.
I had the Blackvue in the center on the S-Class. Driver side never even sees it as it is (somewhat) covered by the mirror. On the Thinkware, it is place on the passenger side top IR cutout
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 C350, 2015 S550
Any pics of where you mounted the rear dash cam? I was thinking of center rear top but was worried about contact with blind. If bottom works and still not obstructed thats be great.

i have a Thinkware F750 front and rear from my old car.

Any issues with running the wires along the pillars and interfering with the airbags if they ever deploy?
Old 05-27-2018, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Detailingdoc
Any pics of where you mounted the rear dash cam? I was thinking of center rear top but was worried about contact with blind. If bottom works and still not obstructed thats be great.

Any issues with running the wires along the pillars and interfering with the airbags if they ever deploy?
Center top of the rear window works perfect with the Blackvue and won’t touch the screen. Other locations will be inferior from the camera angle and looks too...
Old 05-27-2018, 06:56 PM

I like the low mount as it's out of my rear view, It seems too close to the curtain on my car for a center mount. The pic shows a unlevel mount and that's intentional for a good view. I stayed away from airbags by going along the bottom of the car.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 PM

2009 C350, 2015 S550
I like the low mount as it's out of my rear view, It seems too close to the curtain on my car for a center mount. The pic shows a unlevel mount and that's intentional for a good view. I stayed away from airbags by going along the bottom of the car.
Thanks for the pic.
i like running it along the base boards but what about the front camera when running it down the A pillar to the fuse box?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the pic.
i like running it along the base boards but what about the front camera when running it down the A pillar to the fuse box?
I stayed away from the airbags on my car. , you have to figure what's best in your car, best for you to get a professional installer than to get advice from me.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:37 PM

2009 C350, 2015 S550
I stayed away from the airbags on my car. , you have to figure what's best in your car, best for you to get a professional installer than to get advice from me.
Thanks for the help!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Be careful not to Block or Interfere with any Safety Airbags. They are all throughout the car.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM

This from MB a model 221 methinks
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a post where it shows the rear camera location we used in our S-Class. Not quite sure what the benefit of the lower side location would be as the field of view is diminished and it's visible. Top center location is not visible from the inside at all.
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ouple-s-2.html
Re. the wires, running the rear camera cable can be run easily underneath the carpet. The wire from the front cam runs down the A-pillar and it's easy run it besides the airbag. The included cable clips hold the cables (front, rear) in place. Lots of space in the A-pillars...

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-31-2018 at 01:30 PM.