S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Car wash broke my mirror - waaaaa!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Car wash broke my mirror - waaaaa!

Hi all,
last week i didn't realize my wipers were set in auto - poof, there went my passenger blade.
i've seen washed the car twice (we've had a lot of rain here) - i check the wiper stalk at least 10 times before the wash now to make sure it's off. like, super off.
today, i folded my mirrors for the car wash as usual - and saw one of the "hula girls" get caught in the mirror hinge.
i tried to unfold - no dice.
outside of the car wash, the hula girl was still with me - and hard to get out.
the manager came out, (after i gently manhandled the mirror) and kept getting me to fold and unfold and the mirror just won't lock into place appropriately - i'm guessing either a gear broke or stripped, or some plastic part broke or stripped. either way, i have an appointment later this week at the MB dealership.
i'm guessing this NOT a do it yourself thing - i wouldn't know how to get the glass out, and really don't want to muck around.
the car wash hasn't gotten back to me yet - i filled out a report, and the manager said they may send me to one of "their guys" - heck, last thing i need is billy bob to monkey around with the mirror, and then have MB disclaim a warranty issue in the future regarding that mirror.
i welcome any thoughts or suggestions. otherwise, just mentioning beware.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by garygnu
Hi all,
last week i didn't realize my wipers were set in auto - poof, there went my passenger blade.
i've seen washed the car twice (we've had a lot of rain here) - i check the wiper stalk at least 10 times before the wash now to make sure it's off. like, super off.
today, i folded my mirrors for the car wash as usual - and saw one of the "hula girls" get caught in the mirror hinge.
the manager came out, (after i gently manhandled the mirror) and kept getting me to fold and unfold and the mirror just won't lock into place appropriately - i'm guessing either a gear broke or stripped, or some plastic part broke or stripped. either way, i have an appointment later this week at the MB dealership.
i'm guessing this NOT a do it yourself thing - i wouldn't know how to get the glass out, and really don't want to muck around.
the car wash hasn't gotten back to me yet - i filled out a report, and the manager said they may send me to one of "their guys" - heck, last thing i need is billy bob to monkey around with the mirror, and then have MB disclaim a warranty issue in the future regarding that mirror.
Do hand wash car washes not exist where you live? Feels like you would be much better served going this route. After owning 3 x 911’s and now my S Class, I would NEVER take my car to anyplace but a hand wash car wash.

Have a MBZ dealership fix it and send the bill to the car wash. Unless they have posted warning signs regarding them not being responsible for damages, I would think they would have to pay up.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:16 PM

2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
thanks - i love my car - but it's "just a car" - a nice one, but a car.
i can live with swirl marks and little scratches - i run it through when the wash is on my way or will go out of my way a tad if filthy, but otherwise not so much.
i used to wash my cars by hand - a labor of love, and a bit of "me time" - now frankly i don't want to be bothered but i AM looking forward to lovingly putting some wax on it.
my plan - either get a direct reimbursement from the car wash, or a credit - i'm fine with a monthly credit.
it IS brushless - i just didn't know it makes your car mirrorless
Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Hi all,
I posted on another thread somewhere that my drivers side magic wiper blade was ripped off at the car wash a couple months ago since I forgot to turn the wipers off. The driver is also suppose to check to make sure they are off, but he didn't do so until the damage was done. The cost to replace these magic wiper blades was about $235. We agreed that the car wash would pay half the cost. This car wash is second to none. They do an incredible job of cleaning the exterior and interior of car for unlimited times for about $42/month. I've been taking my cars there for years. They will continue to have my business for years to come. Good luck with your mirror issue.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:39 PM

thanks - wipers were completely my fault - mirror was not - in fact, i folded it (now i wish i didn't) though prior wash instructed us to fold the mirrors every time, and he was having a lincoln fold his mirrors (and went and folded the passenger mirror) after i told him what happened. - basically, i think it was a frayed (not afraid) hula girl that got caught in there.
i was thinking of changing car washes to a better one - this one is just really convenient. if they do right, great. if i have to fight them, grrrr, and then i'll leave.
i'm not aware of hand washes near me (i'm sure there are some) but for the few dollars, as mentioned, i'll accept minor car wash scratches. but i do require all my mirrors and at least most of my wheels when i leave the wash. i'm picky that way.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
When I read about carwash damage I am reminded of something I read on an edmunds forum maybe 15 years ago. An MB ML owner took his SUV through a wash and both front and rear bumpers fell off! The workers at the carwash couldn't stop laughing. Of course this incident probably had much more to do with shoddy work at the Alabama MB plant than anything wrong with the carwash itself.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:21 PM

i wouldn't be happy if my car's body parts started to come off like the walkers in the walking dead - shudder.
in the old wash, my yellow z4 went through and the front shipping hook cover came off - they found it for me - went to a collision shop and they glued that bad boy in so well that i hope nobody ever needs to remove it again.
maybe the SUV owner should use some of that same glue.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
those washes arent meant for nice cars.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by 1bad540
those washes arent meant for nice cars.
Most car washes are not meant for nice cars, but I honestly believe that the car was that I use IS. It's called Mr. Car Wash. Unfortunately, it is not available in most states, but it is here in IA. They do an incredible job.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Hand wash or automated touchless only
Old 05-24-2018, 08:22 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Damn man, you've been having some bad luck as of late
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
I mostly wash my car myself because I enjoy it, I occasionally visit the carwash....last time I went on my w221 the steering wheel mysteriosly stopped going up and down? wound up replacing the column.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:19 PM

okay, just got my car back - 2 days in the shop - new mirror housing about $640, plus 1.6 "units" labor - all in $960.
car wash says they'll cover - it seems to me the 360 camera isn't aligning as well on the repaired mirror - i may have to go back in for a hopefully quickie adjustment.
there is a LOT that goes on with the mirror - folding, heated, remote operation, camera, and blind spot warning.
still, i quipped to the cashier that if this was a honda it would probably only have been $50 (exaggeration, maybe more like $100)
still, VERY glad to have it back!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
okay, just got my car back - 2 days in the shop - new mirror housing about $640, plus 1.6 "units" labor - all in $960.
car wash says they'll cover - it seems to me the 360 camera isn't aligning as well on the repaired mirror - i may have to go back in for a hopefully quickie adjustment.
there is a LOT that goes on with the mirror - folding, heated, remote operation, camera, and blind spot warning.
still, i quipped to the cashier that if this was a honda it would probably only have been $50 (exaggeration, maybe more like $100)
still, VERY glad to have it back!
Just for the fun of it: List price for a Honda mirror is $498 so with labor I think you are looking at $700
https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/oem...yABEgIZQPD_BwE
Old 05-31-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Just for the fun of it: List price for a Honda mirror is $498 so with labor I think you are looking at $700
https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/oem...yABEgIZQPD_BwE
Ack! i may need a second job to get a honda!
(I've had 3 or 4 if you count Acura - great cars)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
Good to see things worked well for you
Old 06-03-2018, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Happened to my wife's G63, side mirror was torn off completely and hanging on wires.
My dealer did repair, car wash picked up the bill without any argument even though she forgot to fold it.