S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

MBUSA Option Package Discrepancy/Bait & Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 C300
Question MBUSA Option Package Discrepancy/Bait & Switch

Hoping to find some sanity here! Today I was supposed to take delivery of my 2018 S560 ordered back in February. Initially I had planned to only order the Warmth and Comfort package until I discovered that MY2018 came with new, and decidedly more basic, rear head restraints. To overcome this, I modified my order to add the Rear Seat package which includes 4 zone climate control, power right foot rest, and most importantly, EASY-ADJUST rear seat head rests which are lower profile and provide 4 way adjustment. Much to my chagrin, this also necessitated that I add the PRE-SAFE rear seat package—adding an additional $3k to my build. I had multiple conversations with my sales guy regarding the headrests and I was assured that my car was now properly configured and have the build sheet with option codes to back it up, in addition to every piece of MBUSA literature regarding these packages.

Well, this afternoon, I was stunned to find that my car arrived with the standard rear head restraints. My sales associate insisted that Mercedes must have changed the packages (not true) and then proceeded to tell me that I needed to have also ordered the Executive Rear Seat Package to get the EASY-ADJUST head restraints. There is not one piece of writing in the hard copy brochure, website, dealer order guide, anywhere, that indicates that the Executive package is required. If that were true, I would have cut my losses at the time of ordering and just stuck with Warmth and Comfort package and saved myself a few thousand dollars.

I am now conflicted as to whether or not to complete my purchase and take delivery. On the one hand, I realize that I’m obsessing over head restraints, but on the other hand, I am somewhat disconcerted by the fact that MBUSA appears to be selling me something and not delivering it. What’s even more frustrating is that I cannot seem to get a definitive answer as to whether or not my car should, in fact, have the EASY-ADJUST head restraints, or if indeed this is only part of the Executive package? Is it possible that there was an error made during production? Do any of you have a 2018 with EASY-ADJUST without the Executive package?

My dealership is rightfully agreeing to eat the $3k due to the clear discrepancy between what I ordered in writing and signed off on vs what was built, but this is only a partial resolution. I have no problem paying for what I ordered and would be willing to wait for a 2019 if a mistake was somehow made, but this also means accepting even less for my my 2015 trade 4-6 months down the road. I can’t possibly be the only buyer who purchased the Rear Seat package with the expectation that all of its advertised features would make it into the car, right? I’m not a UCC expert, but I am an attorney and this strikes me as borderline deceptive trade, particularly in light of how quickly the dealer agreed to cover the option cost.

Needless to say, I am beyond puzzled by all of this and would greatly appreciate any thoughts/insight from others who may have dealt with a similar issues!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
easy adjust headrests are part of the rear seat package (325). Executive package has nothing to do with it. You need to look at the window sticker for the car to see what should be included. If you have the rear seat package then you should have them. If they are not there but the rear seat package is listed then there is a problem and MB will fix it. Mistakes happen and they don't mean it's a deceptive trade practice on part of MB.
Sales people often are not as knowledgeable as consumers which is another story.
The following users liked this post:
MrMBenz1 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by sam9187
easy adjust headrests are part of the rear seat package (325). Executive package has nothing to do with it. You need to look at the window sticker for the car to see what should be included. If you have the rear seat package then you should have them. If they are not there but the rear seat package is listed then there is a problem and MB will fix it. Mistakes happen and they don't mean it's a deceptive trade practice on part of MB.
Sales people often are not as knowledgeable as consumers which is another story.
Thanks, Sam; that’s my understanding as well. My window sticker does have the rear seat package listed and the car is equipped with the 4 zone climate and foot rest, just no easy adjust—unfortunately the sticker does not break down the actual items in the package though. My sales associate is insistent that the car is built properly, yet can’t/won’t explain how my configuration printout shows otherwise...
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
In this price range, get what you specifically want. If not, you’ll always gnash your teeth for accepting.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
You are correct. I looked at my window sticker and it doesn't have it listed as well. Have them print you a MSRP sheet of the car and that does have the easy adjust headrest listed as a part of rear seat package.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 PM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by docsout
In this price range, get what you specifically want. If not, you’ll always gnash your teeth for accepting.
I tend to agree, docsout; when I ordered my MY2000 S500, I wanted the electronic trunk closer (new and novel at that time), but was told it had delayed availability. I got the car without the feature and it drove me nuts. I am thankful to even be in a position to “complain” about such issues, but the Mercedes car buying experience can be so very frustrating!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 PM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by sam9187
You are correct. I looked at my window sticker and it doesn't have it listed as well. Have them print you a MSRP sheet of the car and that does have the easy adjust headrest listed as a part of rear seat package.
Headed back to the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll either get more information, or if I don’t lose my mind, maybe my new car!
MFleg (06-01-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
I wouldn't blame your dealer, it was more likely a build issue, we've had customers get cars that were ordered a certain way, and when the factory runs out of a specific part, they change the option code slightly and remove that one item so they can keep building the cars until the parts show up. Happened on some 205 C class cars, the power folding mirrors were "deleted" from the P03 package, instead it was a Q03 package with everything but the mirrors. The option to fold them in was still there in the menus and everything, but the hard parts were from the non-power car. When things like this are done, often the salesmen are completely unknowing, and although i'd assume someone at some level at the dealer is notified, I don't work in sales so I can't say for certain.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 PM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I wouldn't blame your dealer, it was more likely a build issue, we've had customers get cars that were ordered a certain way, and when the factory runs out of a specific part, they change the option code slightly and remove that one item so they can keep building the cars until the parts show up. Happened on some 205 C class cars, the power folding mirrors were "deleted" from the P03 package, instead it was a Q03 package with everything but the mirrors. The option to fold them in was still there in the menus and everything, but the hard parts were from the non-power car. When things like this are done, often the salesmen are completely unknowing, and although i'd assume someone at some level at the dealer is notified, I don't work in sales so I can't say for certain.
Valid point regarding production; that being said, if there was a production issue during my build, *someone* should have been alerted so that I could make a decision as to whether or not to re-order at that time rather than being surprised on delivery day. I get that things happen, but when you’re spending upwards of $120k+ on a custom spec vehicle, nothing should be left to chance.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Since this was important enough for you to order it a certain way just get another car. They can do a nationwide search and if none are available in the US (or better), order again as a MY19. You will get some improved software/hardware for the wait...
Old 05-23-2018, 07:34 AM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Since this was important enough for you to order it a certain way just get another car. They can do a nationwide search and if none are available in the US (or better), order again as a MY19. You will get some improved software/hardware for the wait...
Hi Wolfman; while I am certainly not buying the car for the rear head restraints, it was enough of a sticking point to add unnecessary packages to my rear seat to get them, but there's also a limit to how far I'm willing to go--i.e., I have no interest in adding another $3k in options to have the Executive Rear Seat package. The crux of my dilemma is whether or not I spec'd my car out sufficiently to obtain the desired feature--my sales guy told me I did when I ordered the Rear Seat Package + PRE-SAFE package + Warmth and Comfort package, and the same is confirmed by all of MBUSA's literature as well as my build sheet generated by the STAR system (or whatever that internal platform is where they put in all of the option codes, etc.). Now, at the moment of truth, I'm getting a different story which is why I am so frustrated. If I could get a clear answer as to where the error occurred, whether it be my sales guy giving me incorrect guidance, or a possible manufacturing error, I could make an informed decision as to what to do next. There are no vehicles in the US with my color & option choices so I would have to order a 2019. My concern is going through the same thing only to receive a car identical to the 2018 waiting for me now. If in fact one does need to order Executive Rear Seat to get EASY-ADJUST headrests (which contradicts everything advertised by MBUSA), then it's a non-starter and I will simply take delivery and accept the gigantic rear headrests and move on. If, however, I did properly configure my car, I'd at least just like to know what happened and why I am just learning about this now.

For what it's worth, MBUSA's new headquarters are on the way to my dealership. Thinking of stopping by to see if I can get the number of someone at corporate who may hopefully provide me with an actual answer. I'll probably get walked out by security, but I'm willing to give it a try! Updates to follow...
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I understand your frustration. Something is advertised or at least presented as being available a certain way, you order it that way, wait months to get it, only to have it arrive differently. Very disappointing. I’m usually not one who will accept something like this, but with the item in question being something that will, most likely, rarely be an issue, like rear seat headrests, I would probably still take the car. That said, I do believe that MBUSA might cough up some “brand retention” money, if you call them, explain the problem and then threaten to buy a new BMW or other competing car instead. The dealer may sharpen their pencil a bit more as well. I’d grind everyone as best I could and then I’d probably take the car. Best of luck to you and please let us know the outcome.
MrMBenz1 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 AM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I understand your frustration. Something is advertised or at least presented as being available a certain way, you order it that way, wait months to get it, only to have it arrive differently. Very disappointing. I’m usually not one who will accept something like this, but with the item in question being something that will, most likely, rarely be an issue, like rear seat headrests, I would probably still take the car. That said, I do believe that MBUSA might cough up some “brand retention” money, if you call them, explain the problem and then threaten to buy a new BMW or other competing car instead. The dealer may sharpen their pencil a bit more as well. I’d grind everyone as best I could and then I’d probably take the car. Best of luck to you and please let us know the outcome.
Thanks, Streamliner! On principle alone, I am tempted to walk away; however, I really do want the car! I realize that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here, and will ultimately not care about the head-restraints after a few days, but like you said, I did everything necessary to get the car exactly how I wanted it, and yet, here we are.

I noticed that you are now driving a 2018 S560--do you happen to have any of the rear seat packages? I'm curious as to any rear visibility issues with the new "standard" head-restraints? They seem to stand up quite a bit higher than the EASY-ADJUST and whatever version that came with the 2015-2017 production...
Old 05-23-2018, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by MrMBenz1
Thanks, Streamliner! On principle alone, I am tempted to walk away; however, I really do want the car! I realize that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here, and will ultimately not care about the head-restraints after a few days, but like you said, I did everything necessary to get the car exactly how I wanted it, and yet, here we are.

I noticed that you are now driving a 2018 S560--do you happen to have any of the rear seat packages? I'm curious as to any rear visibility issues with the new "standard" head-restraints? They seem to stand up quite a bit higher than the EASY-ADJUST and whatever version that came with the 2015-2017 production...
I only ordered the Warmth & Comfort Pkg. with the Exclusive Nappa interior. Just about the only ones to ride in the rear seat are my young granddaughters. The standard rear headrests have not caused me any inconvenience, not even once, due to the wonderful Surround View Camera System.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 AM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
Originally Posted by Streamliner

I only ordered the Warmth & Comfort Pkg. with the Exclusive Nappa interior. Just about the only ones to ride in the rear seat are my young granddaughters. The standard rear headrests have not caused me any inconvenience, not even once, due to the wonderful Surround View Camera System.
Well, looks like you made the smart decision there--my original plan was to just order warmth and comfort and in hindsight, wish that's what I had done. I am relieved to learn that visibility hasn't been impacted! Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2018, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Hoping to find some sanity here! Today I was supposed to take delivery of my 2018 S560 ordered back in February. Initially I had planned to only order the Warmth and Comfort package until I discovered that MY2018 came with new, and decidedly more basic, rear head restraints. To overcome this, I modified my order to add the Rear Seat package which includes 4 zone climate control, power right foot rest, and most importantly, EASY-ADJUST rear seat head rests which are lower profile and provide 4 way adjustment. Much to my chagrin, this also necessitated that I add the PRE-SAFE rear seat package—adding an additional $3k to my build. I had multiple conversations with my sales guy regarding the headrests and I was assured that my car was now properly configured and have the build sheet with option codes to back it up, in addition to every piece of MBUSA literature regarding these packages.

Well, this afternoon, I was stunned to find that my car arrived with the standard rear head restraints. My sales associate insisted that Mercedes must have changed the packages (not true) and then proceeded to tell me that I needed to have also ordered the Executive Rear Seat Package to get the EASY-ADJUST head restraints. There is not one piece of writing in the hard copy brochure, website, dealer order guide, anywhere, that indicates that the Executive package is required. If that were true, I would have cut my losses at the time of ordering and just stuck with Warmth and Comfort package and saved myself a few thousand dollars.

I am now conflicted as to whether or not to complete my purchase and take delivery. On the one hand, I realize that I’m obsessing over head restraints, but on the other hand, I am somewhat disconcerted by the fact that MBUSA appears to be selling me something and not delivering it. What’s even more frustrating is that I cannot seem to get a definitive answer as to whether or not my car should, in fact, have the EASY-ADJUST head restraints, or if indeed this is only part of the Executive package? Is it possible that there was an error made during production? Do any of you have a 2018 with EASY-ADJUST without the Executive package?

My dealership is rightfully agreeing to eat the $3k due to the clear discrepancy between what I ordered in writing and signed off on vs what was built, but this is only a partial resolution. I have no problem paying for what I ordered and would be willing to wait for a 2019 if a mistake was somehow made, but this also means accepting even less for my my 2015 trade 4-6 months down the road. I can’t possibly be the only buyer who purchased the Rear Seat package with the expectation that all of its advertised features would make it into the car, right? I’m not a UCC expert, but I am an attorney and this strikes me as borderline deceptive trade, particularly in light of how quickly the dealer agreed to cover the option cost.

Needless to say, I am beyond puzzled by all of this and would greatly appreciate any thoughts/insight from others who may have dealt with a similar issues!!!
I am guessing MB in Sindelfingen (the plant) made a change. I looked at a picture from my local MB dealers affiliated store that just had a $141k S560 4matic delivered with the rear seat package (this should have had the Easy Adjust head restraint like my ‘16). This appears to have a manufacturing date of April 2018 a vin number around 416000 I believe. It does not have the Easy Adjust rear head restraints but rather the larger restraints. JUST FYI.
MrMBenz1 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 PM

2018 S560; 2021 C300
After a long conversation with my dealership today, I have come to terms with the fact that I will not be getting my stupid EASY-ADJUST head-restraints. Despite there being no logical explanation as to why their literature states otherwise, the only way to get them is, in fact, to configure the car with the Executive Rear Seat Package. They performed a pretty thorough search of all S560 inventory and confirmed that no 2018 vehicles equipped with the "standard" Rear Seat Package came with EASY-ADJUST unless it also had the Executive Package. We walked through the order process for a 2019 and found the same results--although the part number is listed under the package, it somehow disappears from the final build.

While I am relieved to learn that there were no errors made during my production, I do wish that MBUSA paid a bit more attention to the information they advertise so as to avoid these types of situations from happening. I am happy to confirm that as a gesture of good will, the dealership is removing the cost of the Rear Seat Package and the required PRE-SAFE Package from my negotiated price, plus an additional $500, acknowledging the fact that they were made aware at the time of ordering that those items were added specifically to get the EASY-ADJUST head-restraints. I certainly was not looking for a means to secure an additional discount and am more than pleased with this outcome.

I now feel absolutely insane after expending so much energy on head-restraints and am looking forward to putting this in the rear-view mirror (even though I'm positive I will have PTSD any time I see an EASY-ADJUST head-restraint in the future) and picking up the car on Saturday.

Thanks to all who have chimed in--it's truly great to have this community!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After a long conversation with my dealership today, I have come to terms with the fact that I will not be getting my stupid EASY-ADJUST head-restraints. Despite there being no logical explanation as to why their literature states otherwise, the only way to get them is, in fact, to configure the car with the Executive Rear Seat Package. They performed a pretty thorough search of all S560 inventory and confirmed that no 2018 vehicles equipped with the "standard" Rear Seat Package came with EASY-ADJUST unless it also had the Executive Package. We walked through the order process for a 2019 and found the same results--although the part number is listed under the package, it somehow disappears from the final build.

While I am relieved to learn that there were no errors made during my production, I do wish that MBUSA paid a bit more attention to the information they advertise so as to avoid these types of situations from happening. I am happy to confirm that as a gesture of good will, the dealership is removing the cost of the Rear Seat Package and the required PRE-SAFE Package from my negotiated price, plus an additional $500, acknowledging the fact that they were made aware at the time of ordering that those items were added specifically to get the EASY-ADJUST head-restraints. I certainly was not looking for a means to secure an additional discount and am more than pleased with this outcome.

I now feel absolutely insane after expending so much energy on head-restraints and am looking forward to putting this in the rear-view mirror (even though I'm positive I will have PTSD any time I see an EASY-ADJUST head-restraint in the future) and picking up the car on Saturday.

Thanks to all who have chimed in--it's truly great to have this community!!!
I think you made the right decision. Life is too short, so start enjoying the new car now. This is yet another example of MBUSA grouping desirable options with what many might feel are undesirable options. Those head restraints should be a STAND ALONE OPTION, available to anyone. Better yet, they ought to be standard equipment on a car of this caliber. It’s still a wonderful car and I love mine, but the experience could be SO MUCH better, with just a few, very reasonable adjustments in how the cars are optioned, color choices, etc. Best of luck with your new car!