Mercedes is just not what it used to be

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by HSCLA
Well, I have a $136k S560 that I hate driving, after owning more than a dozen great enjoyable MB cars over the years. MB truly does not care that I’m miserable with this noisy 560. “Can not verify customer complaint”. They think I have nothing better to do than complain about this car? Really? After 30 years of no complaints?
Their solution? Diamond Tier status gets you a $10k discount on your next new MB purchase. (Sorry about the issues you think you have with your current car).
News alert: there won’t be a next new MB purchase from this former customer.
I’m hoping the next Audi S8 Plus will close the gap with the what was once special about about the S Class experience.
OK, maybe I have a lemon. But worse, much worse is the awful way MB has dealt with the first real problem I’ve had in 30 years of brand loyalty.
I wish MB would listen to customers like you! It would greatly improve the brand. A dream would be Amazon like customer experience (safe,fast,trustworthy,reliable,friendly) in a situation like yours.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 gl300 blutec
I'm new to Mercedes- coming from an Audi Q7 and now have a GL 350 bluetec. I absolutely hate it-- only upside is the added cargo space. The seats aren't even real leather-- some synthetic crap that easily wears. What brought us to MB was the deisel but I can't wait to go back to Audi. I feel like I'm a driving an really over priced station wagon 😁
Old 05-27-2018, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Kate Czeck
I'm new to Mercedes- coming from an Audi Q7 and now have a GL 350 bluetec. I absolutely hate it-- only upside is the added cargo space. The seats aren't even real leather-- some synthetic crap that easily wears. What brought us to MB was the deisel but I can't wait to go back to Audi. I feel like I'm a driving an really over priced station wagon 😁
That's a punishment for buying a diesel car
Old 05-27-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
I wish MB would listen to customers like you! It would greatly improve the brand. A dream would be Amazon like customer experience (safe,fast,trustworthy,reliable,friendly) in a situation like yours.
Ah, no offense, but the last thing I want regarding my car is an “Amazon like customer experience.” Frankly, I have been pretty satisfied with MB customer service and just service in general from my SA and the service department. Sure, I would like everything to be better, with more choices, but I need way more in the way of personal interaction from my car company than I get from Amazon, which, by the way, I go out of my way to not patronize, whenever possible.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Ah, no offense, but the last thing I want regarding my car is an “Amazon like customer experience.” Frankly, I have been pretty satisfied with MB customer service and just service in general from my SA and the service department. Sure, I would like everything to be better, with more choices, but I need way more in the way of personal interaction from my car company than I get from Amazon, which, by the way, I go out of my way to not patronize, whenever possible.
Sorry, I should have been more thorough in my explanation ... by Amazon experience I meant:

1] Fast
2] No bull**** -Trustworthy
3] Caring

So far, my MB experience has varied and I have experienced

1] Slow (Takes days or weeks to fix something unless you push them)
2] Unreliable and Untrustworthy (Lying such as "AMG cars vibrate, because they have so much power" when it's clearly a technical issue)
3] Not caring "because there are always new customers coming"

If MB would be like Amazon in those 3 points, it would mean a lot to customers like the above gentleman.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Well, I have a $136k S560 that I hate driving, after owning more than a dozen great enjoyable MB cars over the years. MB truly does not care that I’m miserable with this noisy 560. “Can not verify customer complaint”. They think I have nothing better to do than complain about this car? Really? After 30 years of no complaints?
Their solution? Diamond Tier status gets you a $10k discount on your next new MB purchase. (Sorry about the issues you think you have with your current car).
I’m hoping the next Audi S8 Plus will close the gap with the what was once special about about the S Class experience.
OK, maybe I have a lemon. But worse, much worse is the awful way MB has dealt with the first real problem I’ve had in 30 years of brand loyalty.

They don't care. Had a S550 with 29,000 miles or so and 1 month over warranty. Key would not work . They told me $600+ for a new key. Had a GL450 at the time also and told them if they wanted to charge me for a key when I replaced the S550 3-6 months later and the GL450 3-6 months later we would move away from MB. They said they did not care. Both were replaced 3-6 months later with non MB products. Hope the $600 was worth over $200K in lost revenue and a the likelihood we don't go back.

The best or nothing is a joke.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Landers
They don't care. Had a S550 with 29,000 miles or so and 1 month over warranty. Key would not work . They told me $600+ for a new key. Had a GL450 at the time also and told them if they wanted to charge me for a key when I replaced the S550 3-6 months later and the GL450 3-6 months later we would move away from MB. They said they did not care. Both were replaced 3-6 months later with non MB products. Hope the $600 was worth over $200K in lost revenue and a the likelihood we don't go back.
Not try to claim a warranty replacement 1 month over warranty with your non MB product. I'm curious how that will work out.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I know that dealing with this is not pleasant but I am surprised at the dealer (or dealers) you are working with. MB corporate always works with the dealers first before taking action. While i never had to do it, i have seen dealers take back cars for less than your issue.

It’s a pain but you could get the car lemoned...
Old 05-27-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Not try to claim a warranty replacement 1 month over warranty with your non MB product. I'm curious how that will work out.

I have had other dealerships take care of issues when out of warranty. If it was my dealership I would have said lets split the difference and I'll make the difference back up to you (and more) on your next car you buy. Don't go touting "the best or nothing" when you have keys that don't last to 30,000 miles.

This wasn't a $10,000 fix I was asking for out of warranty. This is something that probably cost the dealership $300 or so max to deal with.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Landers
I have had other dealerships take care of issues when out of warranty. If it was my dealership I would have said lets split the difference and I'll make the difference back up to you (and more) on your next car you buy. Don't go touting "the best or nothing" when you have keys that don't last to 30,000 miles.

This wasn't a $10,000 fix I was asking for out of warranty. This is something that probably cost the dealership $300 or so max to deal with.
A key is a cheap chinese piece of electronic circuit with a transmitter. It probably costs under $10 to make and ship (iPhone costs under $200). Additional costs involve coding of the key and 30mins of administrative labour. So it could have been solved for free as a courtesy.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
Originally Posted by Wolfman

I know that dealing with this is not pleasant but I am surprised at the dealer (or dealers) you are working with. MB corporate always works with the dealers first before taking action. While i never had to do it, i have seen dealers take back cars for less than your issue.

It’s a pain but you could get the car lemoned...
yup, that’s where this is headed. I’ve now processed thru the 5 stages of grief...I’d resigned myself to the fact that I have a defective car that MB doesn’t wish to address. It’s been sitting on a trickle charger and only used rarely when I head up to our Napa place every month or so.... Which I just did and re-experienced the hugely annoying traffic noise penetration. Then I get nuts again when I drive the car and start *****ing on this blog...(apologies to all). Still in disbelief that MB has chosen to not make this right. Doesn’t make sense even if they don’t (truly) give a damn about my personal happiness. I would have been good for probably 4 or 5 more MB vehicles. Too bad all around.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
OMG please sell the car so the agony will stop already (ours and yours). I've read about this so many times in different threads I'm about ready to buy it from you myself just to make it end.

I truly do sympathize with you but honestly it's time to move forward and get rid of it already. Venting over and over isn't changing anything.
The following 6 users liked this post by XboxMeister:
C280 Sport (05-30-2018), Germancar1 (05-31-2018), Jan AMG (05-28-2018), Socalsteve (05-28-2018), speedrx (05-28-2018), Utopia Texas (06-07-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by XboxMeister
OMG please sell the car so the agony will stop already (ours and yours). I've read about this so many times in different threads I'm about ready to buy it from you myself just to make it end.

I truly do sympathize with you but honestly it's time to move forward and get rid of it already. Venting over and over isn't changing anything.

Haha, good response.

Imagine buying shoes and then complaining about them being uncomfortable. This is like shoes just it costs a bit more, but the principle stays the same.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 AM

S65, SL65

Haha, good response.

Imagine buying shoes and then complaining about them being uncomfortable. This is like shoes just it costs a bit more, but the principle stays the same.
Shoes? One of MB’s solutions was to buy back the 2 week old car with 200 miles on it for $100k (cap cost after discount was $126k) leaving me $26k upside down on the lease payoff. This was for the pleasure of waiting for the car to be built and the disappointment you’ve read about here ad nauseaum.
The shoe analogy doesn’t quite fit.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Shoes? One of MB’s solutions was to buy back the 2 week old car with 200 miles on it for $100k (cap cost after discount was $126k) leaving me $26k upside down on the lease payoff. This was for the pleasure of waiting for the car to be built and the disappointment you’ve read about here ad nauseaum.
The shoe analogy doesn’t quite fit.
You may make me reconsider placing an order for a new S63 .. do you think it is better/safer to find a stock car and test it thoroughly before buying?

I still can't believe the order contract doesn't allow you to cancel the order if you are not satisfied in case of qualitative or technical problems.

In Europe, the order deposit is $10k.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You may make me reconsider placing an order for a new S63 .. do you think it is better/safer to find a stock car and test it thoroughly before buying?

I still can't believe the order contract doesn't allow you to cancel the order if you are not satisfied in case of qualitative or technical problems.

The US has dramatically better buyer protection than Europe and California is on top of the US. It will be reasonably simple to get the car lemoned but it will require a couple more shop visits and getting a lawyer involved.

It’s hassle to be sure but I would attempt it out of principle. The “within spec” comment can be addressed and that has been nothing more than the personal opinion of the mechanic that worked on the car.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:19 PM

S65, SL65
Originally Posted by XboxMeister

The lease payoff is $126k, showing 920 gentle miles. RWD 183 version, no AMG sport package. MSRP $136k. Magnetite with Porcelain / Black Designo exclusive Napa leather. Factory upgraded 20” 5 spoke Maybach type wheels. Excellent condition. Or assume remaining 3 year lease at $1985 / month includes SF sales tax. Make it yours!

Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70

I think when I ordered my 2015 I asked to test drive the vehicle before finalizing the purchase. In most (all?) US states, an order deposit is refundable by law, so you should be able to order a car and when it arrives, test and then back out if you find anything amiss. How "thorough" you might be in testing might depend on the dealer, I suppose.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
I've had many Audi vehicles over the years -- 2 A8s, an A6 with the 4.2 engine, an A7, an S5, and an A3.
All were very good cars.
However, none rode as well as a Mercedes S Class (well, I wasn't expecting that in the A3, but I did in the A8s that I had and was very disappointed), or had as beautiful an interior or such a luxurious feel overall. And for a while, Audi seemed to have dropped anchor and stopped innovating -- or at least slowed down. Frankly, I got bored with Audi and its failure to innovate. Mercedes leaped ahead with a vastly better dashboard display in terms of presentation and ease of use.
I currently have an Audi Q5 rental because my 2015 S Class Coupe was demolished 3 weeks ago by a guy who ran a red light at very high speed. Fortunately I have a 2018 S Class Sedan arriving at the Mercedes port in California in a few hours, so I should get it next week. The Q5 is fairly nice, but at times maddening or infuriating. The only areas where I believe Audi is superior to MB are 1) vastly better NAV system (my MB accuracy rate is an abysmal 20% -- I'll often use WAZE on my phone instead) and 2) a brilliant night view option that shames MB's in many ways. But both of my Audi A8s blew their thermostat at about 25,000 miles, leaving me stuck for hours in one case. And a dealer was so unfamiliar with the car that their mechanics installed new brake pads backwards. I loved my 2015 S Class Coupe and will miss it very much. I'm hoping my 2018 S Class Sedan is at least as good as that car was.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Update: I'm keeping my car . My wife won't let me sell it as she enjoys it too much. I'm waiting on a new AudiA8 in September to arrive.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 AM

S65, SL65
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
Update: I'm keeping my car . My wife won't let me sell it as she enjoys it too much. I'm waiting on a new AudiA8 in September to arrive.
That’s the problem. The new S Class products are almost great. Much about the cars is not attainable elsewhere. Audi 8 Series cars are just not quite there. Same with the BMW 7 Series. I read the thoughtful posts here and i’m left feeling frustrated as I contemplate what to replace my troubled 560 with. What seems to be needed is a slightly better executed S Class that has optimal exterior noise isolation, industry leading navigation and media interface - not the weak effort that exists now and just a thoughtful “going through“ to make the cars what they could / should be. T wouldn’t take that much. If they have to charge another $3-5k to make these cars perfect, do it! So close, yet...
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
I was interested to see that MB owners aren't a very satisfied lot, though of course the below is across the product line, not just S owners:

Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550

That’s the problem. The new S Class products are almost great. Much about the cars is not attainable elsewhere. Audi 8 Series cars are just not quite there. Same with the BMW 7 Series. I read the thoughtful posts here and i’m left feeling frustrated as I contemplate what to replace my troubled 560 with. What seems to be needed is a slightly better executed S Class that has optimal exterior noise isolation, industry leading navigation and media interface - not the weak effort that exists now and just a thoughtful “going through“ to make the cars what they could / should be. T wouldn’t take that much. If they have to charge another $3-5k to make these cars perfect, do it! So close, yet...
And Streamliner claims his 560 is the quietest car he has ever owned ( I do believe he has owned - test driven many ). As for Nav and media interface, my 2015 does a great job on both fronts. Would I like CarPlay, probably. Would I use it often, probably not. What I have is beyond sufficient and does a great job. If you want a German car that appears to have really cool electronics, check out the latest generation Panamera. If not, go Japanese.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
The old adage sometimes is true... Newer isn't always better.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I'm leaving the MB fold as Audi quality has stolen my heart. What for over 50 years has meant to me as high quality , Mercedes has dropped the ball on providing quality build for extended features that don't mean a lot to me. Audi is now my brand of quality. After driving a Genesis G90 for almost a year, I realize that true evaluations of service, quality, refinement, after -the-sale attention, and material craftsmanship mean more than brand royalty. It is hard to face this reality, but Audi is the king of quality in the German world. Genesis is the king of price/quality. The Audi A8 is a better car than the current S class. Quieter interior and adequate infotainment systems while still providing the bank-vault tightness of the Mercedes of the 90's ! . Genesis G90 (which I own now) even trumps that!!! Mercedes has cheapend themselves and I can no longer chase their products and prices. Be real with yourself.
I will agree that Mercedes quality definitely isn't what it used to be. My first car was a very well-used 240D. Great car, even with the further abuse I dished out at it. I had several Mercedes after that including a 420SEL and 190E-2.3 16v. I then drove Infiniti for 20 years. The Infinitis weren't Mercedes. They were merely "good enough". Carpeting only went as high as your eye could see, systems were flat-out archaic. BUT great value for money and generally reliable. Lots of teething pains (initial quality problems) but the squawk list got smaller and smaller with each visit. My M45 was a better car at 100,000 miles than new. The dealerships were consistently good, if not absolutely amazing. When my Q45's week old battery exploded, they sent out a loaner car and their driver waited for the tow truck. 3 days later my car was delivered to me at my office, completely cleaned up as if nothing had happened.

Contrast this to MB where the dealership experience varies widely, mostly on the lower-end. The first dealership that touched my '15 E350 managed to break an air vent and corrupt the firmware on the car.. along with new scratches every time I took it in. I started using a different dealer and they were good initially, BUT management changed and they went straight down the toilet. They managed to break the defrost vents, damaged 2 steering wheels, damaged the rear window, and got nasty about it when I called them on it. The current dealership I'm working with (3rd one now!) has been good so far.

My '15 E350 was by all means, a lemon. I was told Mercedes was good at after-purchase support. This was not the case. Yes, MB even sent out a Factory Tech who worked on the car for 3 days and replaced just about every control module in the car... EXCEPT the ones I specifically asked him to. BUT this same tech didn't know why certain error messages would be displayed in yellow at times and white in others. His ultimate conclusion to why the car would crank but not start -- I wasn't pressing the brake pedal hard enough. Seriously? Even with my foot to the floor I'd get the same behavior. "Working as designed" is all MBUSA would say. The dealership which sold me the car was of NO help at in regards to getting the car bought back.

My current '18 E300 has already been in the shop 5x since February and currently in discussions with MBUSA to buy it back before I resort to lemon law'ing it at the end of this month. Forms/letters/documentation's already filled out and sitting in the envelopes. Essential parts of the car weren't even installed at the factory.

Even the head mechanic at the local MB dealership has said, "they don't make them like they used to" and went into detail about his frustration with many of the changes, including his frustrations with MBUSA. Some of it is for weight savings to comply with gov't regs...others are pure & simple cost-cutting. One of the other issues is that MBUSA subcontracts out much of the work these days. People from different companies and groups building parts independent of each other. In the old days, MB did most of this in-house.

As far as the G90... it's a great value for money, but there was a ton of cost-cutting. Anything which looks metallic in the cabin is plastic. The manual warns that operating more than 1 power seat at a time may damage the electrical system, etc. I commend them on being able to build such a good car at such a price. Even with the cost-cutting, it's still a good car.

I, like others, wish MB would clean up their act. They have the design & feature set mostly right. Quality is majorly lacking.

In my experience with my 15 E350 -- "The Best or Nothing", I got Nothing. And MB has lost ~10 car sales due to it. I referred multiple people to other makes until MB shows me they can build a car which actually works, with ALL the parts installed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes is just not what it used to be