S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2015 - S550 Auto High Beams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
2015 - S550 Auto High Beams

A friend owns a 2015 S550. The manual refers to Automatic High Beams and when you press the turn signal lever forward, an icon lights in the instrument cluster, indicating the auto function is active. Problem is, the high beams NEVER come on. The dealer, first tried to convince my friend the feature was an option he did not purchase. Then said, it wasn't an option, just not a feature and the only way to have your high beams on is, "Take the headlight switch from Auto to On, then move the turn signal indicator forward," and the high beams, do indeed stay on. Of course, when you pull into your garage the lights continue to stay on since no longer in Auto mode! Ridiculous, I say the function is in the vehicle, but broken!

Why would the instrument cluster have an icon that lights up indicating automatic high beams if not an active feature of the vehicle? Further, if not a feature then why wouldn't high beams simply go on with the headlight control in Auto, when moving the turn signal lever forward, as in every older Mercedes such as my 2008 S63 and even my 2013 G63?

Question for other owners of an 2015 S550 in the US. Does your vehicle have working automatic high beams or do you have to turn the switch from Auto to On to have high beams?

Thank you in advance to any who can respond!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
I've driven my uncles 2017 S class for a week or so and you did have to set the light switch to auto, with the indicator stalk foreword to enable the auto high beam function. The high beams only came on during long stretches of open, dark road lmao, Never during basic city driving.

Same thing with my 2014 CLS550, switch on auto, stick forward.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by bob2011
I've driven my uncles 2017 S class for a week or so and you did have to set the light switch to auto, with the indicator stalk foreword to enable the auto high beam function. The high beams only came on during long stretches of open, dark road lmao, Never during basic city driving.
Mine also works like this, a 2015 S. So darn SLOW that much of the potential utility is just lost. Our Volvo's auto highbeam works much much faster/better.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
For city driving, if you want high beams put on manual. When you park and turn off ignition the lights go out. On auto mode the highs only come on pushing turn signal stalk forward.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Why do people need to drive around with high beams on though? It does nothing but blind oncoming traffic, the extra light is thrown up and away from the road. I can see if you are out on the open road by yourself at night, but in any other situation, the normal headlights should work just fine if they are aimed correctly and clean. If you're having that much difficulty seeing at night, perhaps an eye exam is in order.

Personal pet peeve, I hate being blinded by idiots in oncoming traffic with high beams on.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Why do people need to drive around with high beams on though? It does nothing but blind oncoming traffic, the extra light is thrown up and away from the road. I can see if you are out on the open road by yourself at night, but in any other situation, the normal headlights should work just fine if they are aimed correctly and clean. If you're having that much difficulty seeing at night, perhaps an eye exam is in order.

Personal pet peeve, I hate being blinded by idiots in oncoming traffic with high beams on.
In the burbs, where I live, in many areas there are no streetlights, and my night vision isn't great...for which I believe nothing can be done. High beams let me see farther, and are useful at least for me. The whole point of the auto function is precisely to NOT blind oncoming traffic.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
Yes they work perfectly in my 2015 S550. It's on auto mode and stalk pushed forward. I don't have the complaints others here do. They come on when needed and automatically turn off when oncoming traffic is detected.

Sounds like they're broken somehow in this case. Can't imagine dealer can't diagnose this really easily.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1

I can see your point with manual hi-beams but seeing further is simply safer. The last 15 years of lighting tech has revolved around turning the headlights to constant-on hi-beams with long distance beams. Laser light was the distance king but multi-beam LED can now match the distance. The whole point of the "intelligent" lighting was to eliminate the blinding of other people and drivers. Hence cameras that detect the cars, motorcycles and pedestrians and the computers that turns off select LED elements to blank them out dynamically.

These always-on hi-beam headlights is what the rest of the world can get, in the US we get the dumbed down headlights that selectively enable the high-beam function. Poor mans approach... Also very misleading as the manufacturers don't change the names of the lighting systems. The US intelligent lighting isn't very intelligent
Old 05-26-2018, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by dharrar
A friend owns a 2015 S550. The manual refers to Automatic High Beams and when you press the turn signal lever forward, an icon lights in the instrument cluster, indicating the auto function is active. Problem is, the high beams NEVER come on. The dealer, first tried to convince my friend the feature was an option he did not purchase. Then said, it wasn't an option, just not a feature and the only way to have your high beams on is, "Take the headlight switch from Auto to On, then move the turn signal indicator forward," and the high beams, do indeed stay on. Of course, when you pull into your garage the lights continue to stay on since no longer in Auto mode! Ridiculous, I say the function is in the vehicle, but broken!

Why would the instrument cluster have an icon that lights up indicating automatic high beams if not an active feature of the vehicle? Further, if not a feature then why wouldn't high beams simply go on with the headlight control in Auto, when moving the turn signal lever forward, as in every older Mercedes such as my 2008 S63 and even my 2013 G63?

Question for other owners of an 2015 S550 in the US. Does your vehicle have working automatic high beams or do you have to turn the switch from Auto to On to have high beams?

Thank you in advance to any who can respond!
It's broken. It should work in the auto position with the stalk pushed forward. The dealer is wrong.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by syswei
Mine also works like this, a 2015 S. So darn SLOW that much of the potential utility is just lost. Our Volvo's auto highbeam works much much faster/better.
I absolutely LOVE this feature on the w221. It comes on over 30 mph, but yea, you need to be mostly on dark roads and they will stay on, and on the highway if there isn't oncoming traffic. Maybe they made it more sensitive for the w222, but what's stupid is, there SHOULD BE SOME TYPE OF CONTOL in command to adjust that sensitivity, vs. Mercedes just doing it for you. Sounds like they scaled it back.

I remember an old lincoln town car having this option back 25+ years ago, and you could adjust it and it worked great. It's an open on lower model Mercedes, like the new E class loaner I had, didn't have it, and it drove me nuts. It's a must, especially if you live on twisty roads to get home, etc.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 S450
My 2015 Auto Dim works fine. I notice if I want it to go to high beam a little quicker , I push the stalk towards the dash slightly and it usually goes to High Beam
Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 C350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by XboxMeister
Yes they work perfectly in my 2015 S550. It's on auto mode and stalk pushed forward. I don't have the complaints others here do. They come on when needed and automatically turn off when oncoming traffic is detected.

Sounds like they're broken somehow in this case. Can't imagine dealer can't diagnose this really easily.
auto high beams works as you described in my 2015.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Not sure where you're driving or how fast, but auto high beam doesn't work below 25 mph. Also it will not work when following another car -- it's that sensitive that it can pick up taillights. I've also had it switch back to low beams when I'm passing a yellow warning sign on the road due to reflection.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
Not sure where you're driving or how fast, but auto high beam doesn't work below 25 mph. Also it will not work when following another car -- it's that sensitive that it can pick up taillights. I've also had it switch back to low beams when I'm passing a yellow warning sign on the road due to reflection.
Correct, it doesn't work below 25 mph. It's around 30 mph.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 S550 ordered
Related question - how do you briefly flash your brights when you are in auto mode?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X156, C117, W212, W222
Originally Posted by DFW_Neal
Related question - how do you briefly flash your brights when you are in auto mode?
No easy way. Either pull the stalk and push it back for auto mode or turn the headlight switch to low beam and back to auto.