S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2016 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 S550
2016 S550

Overall, I am happy with my S550 with a few caveats.
I have 13,000 miles on the car and have worn out the first set of Pirelli PZeros. I am a pretty gentle driver but for the tires to have run down that quickly is ridiculous. Do owners with the “standard” 19 inch wheel/tire combination have the same limited tire life? If bought another S class, I would stay away from the AMG wheels and Pirelli tires.
Second, my AC went out last month which the dealership traced to a defective O ring(they ran dye through the system to find the leak).
About a week ago my check engine light went on, I tried tightening the fuel cap to no avail. The car runs normally otherwise. I will have to bring it in again although I figure that it is a bad sensor.
Finally, I had to have the door panel mended because the pleather trim was starting to peel off the interior door handle. A private firm affiliated with the dealership fixed for $122(MB refused to fix it because they claimed that it was a wear and tear item).
I love the ride,power and general workmanship of the car but I feel that they could have done a lot better. I purchased the car new in July 2016 for $114,000+ttl.
Are my expectations unrealistic? My wife has a 2016 Infiniti QX80 with about 15k on the odometer and nothing has gone wrong and the tires look new!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
P Zeros are high performance tires, I would be lucky to get that much on any of my sports cars. Try all season tires next time, you get more life out of those.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:11 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Yes, Pirelli's are horrible, don't buy them. MB wheels are SO HEAVY they eat tires and brakes too.......try aftermarket wheels. Yes, the dealers will not give you a millimeter hope on 'wear and tear' items. They assume if you buy an S you can afford to fix it.........or want to throw away money......it's part of the mental games they drop on us.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Try Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Wonderful and quiet tires with claimed 30,000Km life from the manufacturer.

What hyperion says is true - you can get a set of aftermarket wheels and lower the unsprung weight by a big margin.

Small things went wrong - sounds like a typical Mercedes
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
s class
Agree on the factory Pirelli's, they didn't make it past 15K on my wife's MB SUV, I replaced them with Michelin's, I have had excellent experience with them. My 2017 S has Goodyear Run Flats, not my favorite tire and once they wear I will replace with Michelin's also.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MFleg
Overall, I am happy with my S550 with a few caveats.
I have 13,000 miles on the car and have worn out the first set of Pirelli PZeros. I am a pretty gentle driver but for the tires to have run down that quickly is ridiculous. Do owners with the “standard” 19 inch wheel/tire combination have the same limited tire life? If bought another S class, I would stay away from the AMG wheels and Pirelli tires.
Second, my AC went out last month which the dealership traced to a defective O ring(they ran dye through the system to find the leak).
About a week ago my check engine light went on, I tried tightening the fuel cap to no avail. The car runs normally otherwise. I will have to bring it in again although I figure that it is a bad sensor.
Finally, I had to have the door panel mended because the pleather trim was starting to peel off the interior door handle. A private firm affiliated with the dealership fixed for $122(MB refused to fix it because they claimed that it was a wear and tear item).
I love the ride,power and general workmanship of the car but I feel that they could have done a lot better. I purchased the car new in July 2016 for $114,000+ttl.
Are my expectations unrealistic? My wife has a 2016 Infiniti QX80 with about 15k on the odometer and nothing has gone wrong and the tires look new!
Regarding Tires--based on my experience, your problem is with the tires and not the car. My '16 S had just past 28k miles with lots of tread remaining before I hit a pothole at 60mph on the PA turnpike that destroyed the one tire. My tires are 19 inch all season Continental Runflats (MOE) on the AMG wheels.

Additionally, I have had zero problems with my car. It has been great!