S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Odd Quirk With Tilt Function/Magic Body Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
Odd Quirk With Tilt Function/Magic Body Control

Got my 2018 S 560 sedan 10 days ago and love it -- much better than my 2015 S 550 coupe in many ways. The Magic Body Control function is wonderful. It noticeably improves an already smooth ride.

However -- there is a very odd quirk I've noticed when engaging the tilt (or curve) function with Magic Body Control. When going into a curve with the curve function engaged, it significantly and quickly reduces the speed. I tried entering a fairly slight curve at 65 mph and it hunkered the car down to only about 50 mpg, and it did so with much less grace than this car usually exhibits. I've entered this particular curve several times, and it's gotten so that I now no longer engage the curve function.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by WorldExplorer
Got my 2018 S 560 sedan 10 days ago and love it -- much better than my 2015 S 550 coupe in many ways. The Magic Body Control function is wonderful. It noticeably improves an already smooth ride.
H
However -- there is a very odd quirk I've noticed when engaging the tilt (or curve) function with Magic Body Control. When going into a curve with the curve function engaged, it significantly and quickly reduces the speed. I tried entering a fairly slight curve at 65 mph and it hunkered the car down to only about 50 mpg, and it did so with much less grace than this car usually exhibits. I've entered this particular curve several times, and it's gotten so that I now no longer engage the curve function.

Anyone else notice this?
Are you saying that this happened with the Distronic system engaged? If not, there is no way the Curve function of MBC should have any effect on the speed of the car.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Are you saying that this happened with the Distronic system engaged? If not, there is no way the Curve function of MBC should have any effect on the speed of the car.
My first thought as well. It’s my understanding that the gen 2 Distronic work with radar as well as gps. The gps helps the vehicle slow down around curves ( which the gen 1 doesn’t do ). This would answer the question.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by WorldExplorer

Anyone else notice this?
What is the speed limit in that curve? Are you putting too many G forces in that curve ? Would the speed limit alert built into the car be triggering this response? I don't know much about a 2018 but these are things that come to mind that might be playing a role.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:03 AM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
What is the speed limit in that curve? Are you putting too many G forces in that curve ? Would the speed limit alert built into the car be triggering this response? I don't know much about a 2018 but these are things that come to mind that might be playing a role.
The speed limit on that road is 65, and there are no signs for a slower speed for the curve. Very odd. Maybe there's something in GPS that says the curve should be taken at 50. The strong braking is also fierce compared to other automatic braking applied by Distronic.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:05 AM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Yes, Distronic was engaged, but there was no other car ahead of me.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
When I first got my 2018, when on the freeway with Distronic engaged and I was in the right lane, as I would approach an off ramp, the car would automatically slow down, “thinking” I was taking the off ramp. This was very annoying and I’m sure it is what you are experiencing. There is a setting in the menu to turn this feature off, I’m not sure which one it is as I write this, but I believe it has to do with speed limit recognition. Once this is turned off, I believe you will enjoy the car much more. Check it out.