S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Horrible sound, Burmester 3D system.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Reporting back that after half an hour of testing just this stereo system I had no issues.

Spotify on max quality. Streamed.
The following users liked this post:
Carfan500 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
At 1:34, it almost seems like a speaker grill that is vibrating? Are you referring to that? I think the problem for me is that I don't know what those songs should sound like. I would try putting your hand on the various speaker grills. Maybe there is something that shouldn't be vibrating.
It sounds a little like that yes. I can try that.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Carfan500
Try using the balance/fader too, so you can try to identify and localize the issue.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
After spending a lot of time with the sound systems on this car vs the ML system on the Lexus LS500, I must say that I feel the ML system is better. Please don't get me wrong and I don't want to upset anyone here, the 3D Burmester stereo is pretty damn good, and MILES and bounds better than the stock Burmester on the W222 (which I detest...sorry, just my opinion), but it's not as full and concert sounding as the ML system on the Lexus.

Just sharing my thoughts on this! I had a very high level of expectation with the 3D stereo system which was almost met, but it didn't wow me like the ML system did. As an audiophile, I am a picky AF person, but I did try my best to listen to the same songs in roughly the same surroundings as I tested the two systems.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2023 S580 Selenite
After spending a lot of time with the sound systems on this car vs the ML system on the Lexus LS500, I must say that I feel the ML system is better. Please don't get me wrong and I don't want to upset anyone here, the 3D Burmester stereo is pretty damn good, and MILES and bounds better than the stock Burmester on the W222 (which I detest...sorry, just my opinion), but it's not as full and concert sounding as the ML system on the Lexus.

Just sharing my thoughts on this! I had a very high level of expectation with the 3D stereo system which was almost met, but it didn't wow me like the ML system did. As an audiophile, I am a picky AF person, but I did try my best to listen to the same songs in roughly the same surroundings as I tested the two systems.
My 15' S550 had the Burmester 3D also, but my 18' S63 sounds different for some reason. I feel the S550 had a little more deep bass up front and the sound stage was better, that may just be the fact that is was 3 years ago and I had a vehicle in between that had aftermarket subs. I did make a change on my 18 and turned on VIP to the driver and that made a big difference in the sound stage and instrument separation.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Warehouser
My 15' S550 had the Burmester 3D also, but my 18' S63 sounds different for some reason. I feel the S550 had a little more deep bass up front and the sound stage was better, that may just be the fact that is was 3 years ago and I had a vehicle in between that had aftermarket subs. I did make a change on my 18 and turned on VIP to the driver and that made a big difference in the sound stage and instrument separation.
Thank you for the opinion! Just a polite fyi that I too enabled that setting.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:18 AM

S560
No difference. And i remember we tried also before.

Try using the balance/fader too, so you can try to identify and localize the issue.
We did this several times, and the problem comes on all speakers, it seems. It is not possible to isolate sound to one speaker.

At least it looks like i am the only one with this problem.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
No difference. And i remember we tried also before.

We did this several times, and the problem comes on all speakers, it seems. It is not possible to isolate sound to one speaker.

At least it looks like i am the only one with this problem.
Sorry buddy, I'm completely out of ideas. I'd say "change out the amp!", but then again you're only reporting this with Spotify as a source, so I have no clue.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:29 AM

S560
Sorry buddy, I'm completely out of ideas. I'd say "change out the amp!", but then again you're only reporting this with Spotify as a source, so I have no clue.
It is not only spotify, it is all sound from all phones tested. So probably have to change the amp in the end like my audio expert told me. But MB is not doing that, yet.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550
My '14 model has the standard Burmeister setup and sounds really good except for Sirrus. Sirrus sounds boomy and muddled. My 07 model sounded pretty good, satelite included. I wonder if there is an issue that can be fixed because satellite radio is all but unusable.

Bill
Old 09-09-2018, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by obwielnls
My '14 model has the standard Burmeister setup and sounds really good except for Sirrus. Sirrus sounds boomy and muddled. My 07 model sounded pretty good, satelite included. I wonder if there is an issue that can be fixed because satellite radio is all but unusable.

Bill
Sat radio has VERY VERY poor quality, and that is the nature of the beast.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
AGREED!! That's why I refuse to use it. Plus the playlists are incredibly short and woefully inadequate.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 232 Posts
S600
A) I can hear the issue
B) it seems to correlate with you doing something at the controls.

If you don't manipulate the controls does it still do that?
and can we have a video of it doing that without you touching any of the controls?

On A) I con't make out if the odd-sound is from a mechanical resonance in the system,
or
if there is an electrical issue (current "slew rate" limiting, or voltage saturation) in one or more amplifiers; either of which can accentuate mechanical vibrations.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM

2014 S550
My w221 uses the same service and sounds fine.
Bill

Old 09-10-2018, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by obwielnls
My w221 uses the same service and sounds fine.
Bill
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Bill. The reality is that the bandwidth assigned for each channel in satellite radio is very small, so the sounds coming through it are highly compressed and distorted. Maybe you do not notice, but I and other audiophiles certainly do. That said I'm also well aware that I'm one of the few people that has criticized the standard Burmester stereo option in the W222, while many others go "eh, it's fine". To each their own, that's all
Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 AM

2014 S550
I get that. I was saying that on my 07 S550 the satellite radio sounded just fine (to me) at least it sounded the same as all the other input options. On my '14 model everything sounds just fine (to me) except for the satellite radio and it sounds so bad it's almost unlistenable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Bill. The reality is that the bandwidth assigned for each channel in satellite radio is very small, so the sounds coming through it are highly compressed and distorted. Maybe you do not notice, but I and other audiophiles certainly do. That said I'm also well aware that I'm one of the few people that has criticized the standard Burmester stereo option in the W222, while many others go "eh, it's fine". To each their own, that's all
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
It is not only spotify, it is all sound from all phones tested. So probably have to change the amp in the end like my audio expert told me. But MB is not doing that, yet.
If the radio, CD’s and SD cards do not create this issue, swapping amps will not do a thing to help this. Do you have any issues with regular Bluetooth while on the phone? Does this happen when the phone is plugged in or just through Bluetooth audio? Has the dealer done any software updates at all?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

If the radio, CD’s and SD cards do not create this issue, swapping amps will not do a thing to help this. Do you have any issues with regular Bluetooth while on the phone? Does this happen when the phone is plugged in or just through Bluetooth audio? Has the dealer done any software updates at all?

I've been thinking about this thread, and I was going to post what you did, but I'm not intimately aware of how the DSP systems tie in with the amp. If they are part of the same unit, maybe swapping it out is the only option that is left that would resolve the issue. Something about what Sherlock Holmes used to say...
Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 PM

S560
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
A) I can hear the issue
B) it seems to correlate with you doing something at the controls.

If you don't manipulate the controls does it still do that?
and can we have a video of it doing that without you touching any of the controls?

On A) I con't make out if the odd-sound is from a mechanical resonance in the system,
or
if there is an electrical issue (current "slew rate" limiting, or voltage saturation) in one or more amplifiers; either of which can accentuate mechanical vibrations.
If i dont touch anything it still does that. I turned the volume up and down to demonstrate that the sound does not come on if i use a very low volume. It only comes after turning volume up over 50%.

I can of course make a video without me touching everything.

Originally Posted by Socalsteve

I am not sure i agree here. If no other car has this problem i think a new headunit will fix this. I can also test it in a demo when i visit Mercedes HQ. They do not have a demo or similar car i my town, at least not facelift. There was no update on the stereo.

I've been thinking about this thread, and I was going to post what you did, but I'm not intimately aware of how the DSP systems tie in with the amp. If they are part of the same unit, maybe swapping it out is the only option that is left that would resolve the issue. Something about what Sherlock Holmes used to say...
I agree with this. I am not happy with MB, at this price, they should just change it. I would expect any car maker at any price to fix this, without me being a detective.