S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Horrible sound, Burmester 3D system.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
Horrible sound, Burmester 3D system.(VIDEO)

I had this problem since the car was new, in April 2018. The sound Is mostly great, but when I change the song, I brace myself because of the possibility for terrible sound. I lose a lot of enjoyment from this. I love this car, it is great.

I never had this problem on other cars ever. I come from a W212, and a loaner w214 both with great sound systems.

The sound is like a broken speaker in some songs. It took some time to identify the problem. It never comes when listening to radio. Only Spotify or Tidal. It is worse via Bluetooth, than cable. It is also worse with the “sound effects” turned on. That would be the 3d system. “pure” does reduce the problem. It also helps to turn down “speed volume adjusts”. It also comes only on some songs. I had a Samsung S7 Edge and the android auto was horrible on the display, so I changed it to Iphone x. I also tested with other phones, and the problem is still there.

The dealer tested an older pre-facelift s-class also and said the problem is also there, but to a lesser degree. They were willing to change 3 of the speakers in the roof, to test what the problem was, but it was not possible to order. They did change the front right speaker, and that also wound not unscrew itself. This did nothing.

I suspect there is an error in the software or some other component in my car, not the speakers. There should be cd quality in Bluetooth if they use the latest hardware, and cable should eliminate this.

I do not know if it is only my car that is affected, and that is why I need your help. Please test, and repost back. The problem is mostly in the first 10 seconds of the song, so just change songs rapidly to hear it. Please test this in your car with or without the 3D system. Please also test if you have a W213.

Here is a playlist that has only problem songs.

https://open.spotify.com/user/rogerl...RFu9t0rbgDd5Hw
https://tidal.com/playlist/d12e541c-...8-f84f55448249

Here is also a list where the problem never comes, even on Bluetooth and all systems turned on.

https://open.spotify.com/user/rogerl...TnyzwKby17A4yA

I you test, please report back your car, production year and sound system.

Mine is W222 S560, 2018, Burmester 3D, HORRIBLE SOUND!!!

Last edited by Carfan500; 09-04-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Video added.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Is it the same songs or does it happen randomly? Are you using the cellular system on your phone to stream the music or via WiFi in the vehicle?
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (08-03-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I doubt it's the speaker, most likely the AMP in cases like this. One of the channels is prob messed up.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Jason B
I doubt it's the speaker, most likely the AMP in cases like this. One of the channels is prob messed up.
Its definitely NOT the speakers. I don’t even think it’s the amp. Without getting the answers to the questions I asked, I can only speculate. But I’ll throw this out there anyway. It’s a problem with the streaming and/or connection. Absolutely nothing wrong with the cars audio system ( speakers-amps-crossovers or wiring ).

Another question I would ask would be if it happens when you go through a mountainous area or around an area that is dense with tall structures. Another thought is when I was in Bergen, there are lots of tunnels. Does it happen when you are going through a tunnel?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

Its definitely NOT the speakers. I don’t even think it’s the amp. Without getting the answers to the questions I asked, I can only speculate. But I’ll throw this out there anyway. It’s a problem with the streaming and/or connection. Absolutely nothing wrong with the cars audio system ( speakers-amps-crossovers or wiring ).

Another question I would ask would be if it happens when you go through a mountainous area or around an area that is dense with tall structures. Another thought is when I was in Bergen, there are lots of tunnels. Does it happen when you are going through a tunnel?
I agree. If it were the car's system, I think the problem would linger for longer than just the first 10 seconds of the songs. The source of the music (phone?) may be giving off too much preamp signal distorting the sound, then probably levels off after the car's radio or the phone's system levels off the preamp. Try turning down the volume on the source (phone) and use the car's amp for volume increases.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 S580 Selenite
Buy a couple of those songs on iTunes, convert them to apple lossless in iTunes then upload and play them through your phone. You should notice a huge difference.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Warehouser
Buy a couple of those songs on iTunes, convert them to apple lossless in iTunes then upload and play them through your phone. You should notice a huge difference.
What does it have to be so hard. What can't we just stream in lossless without needing a computer.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 S580 Selenite
What does it have to be so hard. What can't we just stream in lossless without needing a computer.

It may be the quality of the stream.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Bingo!!! Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

Put your playlist or whatever music you like on an SD card. I’ll buy you a bottle of Scotch* if the problem is still there.

*Scotch in Norway is ridiculously expensive, btw.

Warehouser (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90

Put your playlist or whatever music you like on an SD card. I’ll buy you a bottle of Scotch* if the problem is still there.

Do you buy CPO Scotch or New Scotch? 😆
Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Rockland

Do you buy CPO Scotch or New Scotch? 😆
Minimum 12 years. Too old for CPO.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 PM

S560
Is it the same songs or does it happen randomly? Are you using the cellular system on your phone to stream the music or via WiFi in the vehicle?
It is the same songs. It is also more than 50% of songs. But the one in the list is the worst. Some are perfect.
This is happening when using a phone. With the facelift i have the option of using bluetooth or cable with apple carplay or android auto. No difference in apple/android, but a big difference with Bluetooth or cable, but still horrible on most of the songs in the list. If i use cable and turn all audio enhancments off(use pure and other things), i improve this at least 70%. But then the sound is not so good. I never heard this in any car.

I do not think it is the speaker, i got one replaced.

Sorry for late reply, work is crazy. I think maybe something with the software? Tunnels have no impact.

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I agree. If it were the car's system, I think the problem would linger for longer than just the first 10 seconds of the songs. The source of the music (phone?) may be giving off too much preamp signal distorting the sound, then probably levels off after the car's radio or the phone's system levels off the preamp. Try turning down the volume on the source (phone) and use the car's amp for volume increases.
Sorry if i was unclear. In most songs (on the list), the problem is present in the whole song. In other songs it is only in some parts. To save time i specified that in all of the songs the problem is present in the first 10 seconds(but mostly more than that). It is mostly on vocals and some sounds i cannot explain.

I do not think this will have an impact, but i will try. I tested multiple phones and Spotify and Tidal.

[
There is some problem with the stream. But i cannot identify it.

I do not think this sound will come from an SD card. Radio works just fine, and is never a problem, both DAB and FM. We have huge taxes on all things that are fun, including cars.

Last edited by Carfan500; 06-28-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 amg
Same problem

Just bought a C43 and I thought the speakers were blown, specially on some songs they just sound terrible. Not so with radio.
Please let me know if someone finds a solution for this, it super annoying, I can´t listen tu my music on spotify at all.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:54 PM
RGS

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
Here is a wild guess: do you have HeadsUp Display? Does the bad sound resemble "radio static"? If so, when it happens press on the edges of the plastic lens(above dash) of the HeadsUp Display.
Maybe you could post an audio recording of the sound.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:45 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by jlc012
Just bought a C43 and I thought the speakers were blown, specially on some songs they just sound terrible. Not so with radio.
Please let me know if someone finds a solution for this, it super annoying, I can´t listen tu my music on spotify at all.
As stated numerous times in this thread, this is not Burmeister problem, it’s a Spotify issue. If the radio sounds fine ( and I assume all other media as well ) then there is an issue with Spotify. Try Pandora or Apple Music. Then get back to us. If the other streaming services don’t work well, then it’s an interface issue. Good luck!
Warehouser (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
This is most worrisome. I too use Spotify and am thinking about buying a new W222 with the 3D Burmester stereo option. This is disconcerting to me that MB may have overlooked Spotify as a source for music!!!

To OP: try ensuring the Spotify stream is set to the highest quality. My phone has an option (S9) to simulate dolby surround or all of that crap. Make sure they are turned off for your car's streaming purpose.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is most worrisome. I too use Spotify and am thinking about buying a new W222 with the 3D Burmester stereo option. This is disconcerting to me that MB may have overlooked Spotify as a source for music!!!

To OP: try ensuring the Spotify stream is set to the highest quality. My phone has an option (S9) to simulate dolby surround or all of that crap. Make sure they are turned off for your car's streaming purpose.
I’m sure you realize that the vehicle doesn’t care where the Bluetooth audio comes from ( pandora, Apple Music, Spotify or whatever other app you have on your phone that streams audio ) . It’s not a MBZ issue. It’s either a Spotify issue or a phone issue.
Warehouser (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car

I’m sure you realize that the vehicle doesn’t care where the Bluetooth audio comes from ( pandora, Apple Music, Spotify or whatever other app you have on your phone that streams audio ) . It’s not a MBZ issue. It’s either a Spotify issue or a phone issue.
Yes, I realize that. I'm just wondering if the low quality sound from internet streaming audio is contributing to the problem; however, I do agree with you, it's probably a spotify/phone issue.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM

S560
Originally Posted by RGS
Here is a wild guess: do you have HeadsUp Display? Does the bad sound resemble "radio static"? If so, when it happens press on the edges of the plastic lens(above dash) of the HeadsUp Display.
Maybe you could post an audio recording of the sound.
I have head up display. No it sounds like a broke speaker. And it sounds like it is from every one. Even the one they changed.

As stated numerous times in this thread, this is not Burmeister problem, it’s a Spotify issue. If the radio sounds fine ( and I assume all other media as well ) then there is an issue with Spotify. Try Pandora or Apple Music. Then get back to us. If the other streaming services don’t work well, then it’s an interface issue. Good luck!
I do NOT think it is a Spotify problem. This happens when the audio source is a Phone. I use a Iphone x. I also have several Samsung and other phones testet. Same result. I tested several music services. Tidal apple radio apps. Same result. regular radio works great, never a problem.

It is very bad. On the top stereo system this should not be. My last car was a E220 diesel from 2010, and it had a tune2air module retrofitted for $70. Worked flawless. HK system was great. I do not think Spotify is overlooked, i think there is something else wrong.

It is a phone issue, but for all phones. But it could also be just my car. I am begging anyone with the facelift to try my playlist.

Yes, I realize that. I'm just wondering if the low quality sound from internet streaming audio is contributing to the problem; however, I do agree with you, it's probably a spotify/phone issue.
I have had my car in several times, and the tech is able to replicate my error from his phone. The issue is the same, but less with cable. He has also tested with a pre-facelift car, and tells me he can hear some of this sound it that car. But he only has one to test.

I drove by a local stereo expert and they told me the processor was broken if no update could fix it. They heard the same problem, and when switching to radio there is no problem.

After a lot of back and forth with MB HQ in my country, further action is declined. This will of course not work for me for a car costing over $270k, so i am driving to MB HQ in my country soon. They are willing to look at the car, but they dont understand the problem. I think they will figure out the problem in the end.

Audio recording is a great idea, i will try to do this in the next few days.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Carfan500
I have head up display. No it sounds like a broke speaker. And it sounds like it is from every one. Even the one they changed.

I do NOT think it is a Spotify problem. This happens when the audio source is a Phone. I use a Iphone x. I also have several Samsung and other phones testet. Same result. I tested several music services. Tidal apple radio apps. Same result. regular radio works great, never a problem.

It is very bad. On the top stereo system this should not be. My last car was a E220 diesel from 2010, and it had a tune2air module retrofitted for $70. Worked flawless. HK system was great. I do not think Spotify is overlooked, i think there is something else wrong.

It is a phone issue, but for all phones. But it could also be just my car. I am begging anyone with the facelift to try my playlist.

I have had my car in several times, and the tech is able to replicate my error from his phone. The issue is the same, but less with cable. He has also tested with a pre-facelift car, and tells me he can hear some of this sound it that car. But he only has one to test.

I drove by a local stereo expert and they told me the processor was broken if no update could fix it. They heard the same problem, and when switching to radio there is no problem.

After a lot of back and forth with MB HQ in my country, further action is declined. This will of course not work for me for a car costing over $270k, so i am driving to MB HQ in my country soon. They are willing to look at the car, but they dont understand the problem. I think they will figure out the problem in the end.

Audio recording is a great idea, i will try to do this in the next few days.
How can I try your playlist?

I will be in a brand new W222 with the 3D Burmester Stereo this Friday afternoon (test drive). I will most certainly be trying it with my phone/Spotify!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
The compute is the decoder for the stream of bits.

I suspect that the decoder (software) has a bug in it that has to do with switching streams in the middle of a song.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 AM

S560
How can I try your playlist?
I will be in a brand new W222 with the 3D Burmester Stereo this Friday afternoon (test drive). I will most certainly be trying it with my phone/Spotify!
https://open.spotify.com/user/rogerl...RFu9t0rbgDd5Hw

The link is in the first post, also there is a Tidal link.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 AM

S560
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
The compute is the decoder for the stream of bits.
I suspect that the decoder (software) has a bug in it that has to do with switching streams in the middle of a song.
I do change songs a lot, but this is on the same parts of the songs every time.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM

S560
Here is a video:

It is MUCH more noticeable live, on every song on this list, but at 1:34 it is very noticeable. When playing low it is not present, or very little. With Apple Carplay it is maybe 60% reduced. Later i turn off the audio gimmics, and it gets even better, but still present.

You may notice it is mostly the same sound that gets warped. So everytime i hear this sound in a song, i brace myself, but it only comes sometimes. Not what i wanted when ordering the most expensive S560 i could buy.

This is a first world problem, and not my highest priority. But i paid for the system, so it better work better than my old E-class.

I do not know why the video is so low resolution, it was filmed in full HD(they fixed it now, was 360p), but youtube did something, and its the audo that is important here. Also sorry for the dust.

Last edited by Carfan500; 09-04-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Carfan500
Here is a video: https://youtu.be/6uwTNUAxFeQ?t=91

It is MUCH more noticeable live, on every song on this list, but at 1:34 it is very noticeable. When playing low it is not present, or very little. With Apple Carplay it is maybe 60% reduced. Later i turn off the audio gimmics, and it gets even better, but still present.

You may notice it is mostly the same sound that gets warped. So everytime i hear this sound in a song, i brace myself, but it only comes sometimes. Not what i wanted when ordering the most expensive S560 i could buy.

This is a first world problem, and not my highest priority. But i paid for the system, so it better work better than my old E-class.

I do not know why the video is so low resolution, it was filmed in full HD(they fixed it now, was 360p), but youtube did something, and its the audo that is important here. Also sorry for the dust.
At 1:34, it almost seems like a speaker grill that is vibrating? Are you referring to that? I think the problem for me is that I don't know what those songs should sound like. I would try putting your hand on the various speaker grills. Maybe there is something that shouldn't be vibrating.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-04-2018 at 11:03 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible sound, Burmester 3D system.