S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Newbie - s class juddering on braking

Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 W222 S Class SE 350d
Newbie - s class juddering on braking

hello all - just wanting some advice on an ongoing issue...

Long story but i bought a 14 plate W222 in February 2017 - only 33k and from a Mercedes dealer so as new.
later that year i got a warning indicator for brake wear on the front - no problem - a friend has a garage handling prestige brands so they put me some new Merc pads on (as didnt want to invalidate my warranty).
a few weeks after i noticed a juddering on the braking which increasingly got worse.
Took it to the guys who fitted the pads before revisiting Mercedes to see if something they had done.
They said the front discs had "run out" (warped). I contacted Mercedes stating that surely they shouldn't warp at such an age/mileage and got the stock response of "brakes are wear and tear and arent covered under the warranty".

Back to my local garage for new Merc Discs to be fitted £240. 2 months later - same issue.
I take up conversation again with Mercedes stating "how if this wear and tear?".
Agree to put into Mercedes locally who after diagnosis eventually advise me that if the torque settings are not right when fitting the wheel this can warp the discs.
So - okay firstly I have a ongoing discussion with my local garage re their fitting...

I then have Mercedes fit new discs early May at £310- all seems fine.
Had a service at Halfords (£200 vs £800) 22nd May but stressed verbally and with a note in the car they MUST use the manufacturers torque settings when refitting the wheels and confirmed the same when i collected the car. I am waiting for Halford to doubly confirm before I go back to Mercedes.

Have tried to block it out but finally accepted that I seem to again have an intermittent judder when braking - slight at the moment but as previous, will expect it to get worse.

Time, effort and stress aside I am £550 light and still do not have a resolution and getting to the point of wanting to get rid...

Looked online and cant find anything specific to my model as an issue so thought would post here see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas whilst I am still going through the process.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
odd, is it coming from the front? sounds like you may have a stuck caliper.
The following users liked this post:
Hoover2112 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Possible avenue of discussion with MB if not already addressed see attached service campaign page 2 procedure "Locktite 243 thread locking compound must be applied to the threads of the new bolt". BTW not certain this applies in your market but worth mentioning MB service campaigns repair/parts are free, no expiration even out of warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014090003.pdf (192.3 KB, 194 views)
front brake pads.pdf (415.3 KB, 171 views)
rear brake pads.pdf (544.1 KB, 102 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
Hoover2112 (07-11-2018), Psylon (08-14-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.

Tbh I am at a loss.

The car has had new pads prior anyway so assume this was done and you would "hope" Mercedes had explored all options to resolve the issue once it went into them.
At least I am hopefully at the point (once Halfords confirm the torque settings) of going back to Mercedes and saying "that fix - it doesn't work..."
Old 07-11-2018, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad540
odd, is it coming from the front? sounds like you may have a stuck caliper.
yes front both times..
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
has anyone checked the caliper?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:03 AM

I would hope they would have checked that but could be next port of call. Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 12:06 PM

Hi All,
Just thought I would update you on this issue...

Back to Merc today. Service guy told me about what they were investigating. Apparently very common on certain C Class models - think he said they ahd a presentation or something about the issue and, he just showed me docs relating to my S Class no as well and potential issues for brake juddering...

The test was to measure and test the high point on the disc with the wheel in place then rotate it 90 degrees - if the high point is the same its not the disc its the wheel.

It's caused by incorrect refurbishing of the wheels so they dont sit properly. Guess what the personalized sales video i received prior to getting the car mentions? "Its just got back from the workshop after having the wheels refurbed".
Causes issue every 3-5k after new discs fitted? Check!

So the problem was there day one. I had a non Merc Garage fit some brake pads last year so put itno them when it started as thought discs could be an issue they caused. The said the NSF was warped and replaced the discs. £250...thanks.

Put into Mercedes 3-5k later with juddering. Said it was Torgue settings on the wheel - smelt BS but.... Put on 2 new discs - £310 thanks..

Contacting Mercedes tomorrow. Guy at dealer said will furnish them wiht findings and "give (me) some bullets"
Just waiting for the "shouldn't use a none authorized dealer" line for the first time - sorry but the problem shouldn't have been there to start with and your own Mercedes Dealer didn't spot the problem either first time but happily relieved me of £310.

Happy and fuming at the same time so - let's see what happens..
Expecting reimbursement for all outlay, issue fixing FOC and something for the 9 months fo stress whilst they have missed the problem and dodged the blame...