How to use Lane Change Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S350d AMG Premium
How to use Lane Change Assist

Hello,

We just purchased new facelift S350d AMG Premium in Thailand. Buying a car in Thailand is really expensive due to taxes and duties. This car costs over $200,000 USD. At this price, I could have bought the one with much bigger engine in the States.

Anyway, I have been trying all of its features and so far everything work without any issue except Lane Change Assist. I can't manage to get this to work. I pressed and turned on both Distronic and Lane Keep Assist buttons. I see lights on both buttons. On instrument cluster, I see green steering wheel showing on display. I was driving around the Bangkok. When I entered a road with light traffic which allowed me to drive a bit faster, I let the car automatically follow traffic at around 80~90km/h. Then I turned on a turn signal. I waited about 7 seconds, but car doesn't lane change on its own. I tried this 3 times, so far unsuccessful. One time, I was going at 90km/h using Distronic. No traffic in front or around me. It still didn't change lane on its own. Do I need to go faster in order to make it work? which won't be easy in Bangkok.

Exactly what are the requirements for LCA to operate? If you have used this feature, could you please explain the road condition of when you used it?

Thank you
Old 07-15-2018, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Cant really help much because I've never had a problem with mine on my 2018 E 63, my s550 is a 2015 so does not have that. But you should be able to just push the turn signal with the Distronic on and the car should change lanes as long as there are no other cars around. Anything over like 30 mph should work. Maybe they disable that feature where your from or something. I think cars 2017 and up have it. Check with your dealer and look in your owners manual. Wow, these cars are not cheap there. I got my 2015 used about a year ago for 60K usd
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S350d AMG Premium
Looks like you are right. Active Lane Change Assist seems to be not available in this market. I checked MB website and manual but both were not very helpful. They are just translated version from English. The manual even talks about Mbrace, which isn't available in many part of the world including Thailand. I had to check with automotive websites. Among Driver Assistance features, Active Lane Change Assist is the only one wasn't listed. I also checked Maybach S-class, ALCA wasn't listed in its specs as well. Looks like MB had to disable this feature in Thailand probably due to legal/regulation issues. It sucks that my car doesn't have ALCA, but after reading its requirements, it wouldn't work most of time in Thailand's traffic condition anyway. But other features work great especially in traffic jam.

I guess it could have been worse if I had purchased new 7-series. Before we decided to go with S-class, we looked at BMW. I asked about how its auto pilot features compared to S-class. Salesman told me most of those features are missing from 7-series in Thailand. It only had typical active cruise control with some lane assist and auto breaking. He then shifted the discussion to its auto parking in hurry

Last edited by Sitti; 07-16-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 138 Likes on 106 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
I was in Bangkok years ago and have to say that was some of the worst traffic I have ever seen. The active lane change is a great feature here in the states, but may be impractical because of the traffic situation in Bangkok. It won’t change lanes if there is a car beside you, but I don’t know how it reacts in tighter traffic. I’m too chicken to try it out in heavy traffic, I use it when I clearly see there is no obstructing car in the lane I want to change in to. Haven’t tried it when someone in the next lane is clearing approaching me at a faster speed.