MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Rattle from behind LCD panels (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/715599-rattle-behind-lcd-panels.html)

Merserybenze 07-24-2018 10:39 AM

Rattle from behind LCD panels

Since new I've had a rattle coming from behind my lcd panel in the center. I waited until Service A to have dealer look into it. Of course they could not replicate it. It happens particularly at around 1100 rpms when steering wheel is slightly left of center. Anyway, got my car back and decided to look into it myself. Removed panel using instructions below..

​​​​​​

Did not disconnect any cables. Just looked around for anything loose. Did not find anything so put everything back together ensuring I firmly tightened the 3 screws (which were not very tight actually). Took it for a test drive and no noise. Reseating it may have done the trick.

Worth a shot if the rattle annoys you.

Hope this helps.

MBS63AMG 07-25-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Merserybenze (Post 7510358)
Since new I've had a rattle coming from behind my lcd panel in the center. I waited until Service A to have dealer look into it. Of course they could not replicate it. It happens particularly at around 1100 rpms when steering wheel is slightly left of center. Anyway, got my car back and decided to look into it myself. Removed panel using instructions below..

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cei3LzK38g

Did not disconnect any cables. Just looked around for anything loose. Did not find anything so put everything back together ensuring I firmly tightened the 3 screws (which were not very tight actually). Took it for a test drive and no noise. Reseating it may have done the trick.

Worth a shot if the rattle annoys you.

Hope this helps.

Easier than I thought.

Merserybenze 07-25-2018 11:29 AM

spoke too soon. rattle came back. opened her up again and put foam tape over everything I could see might be rattling...still there. I wonder if it's inside the lcd panels....I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer, unless anyone else has any ideas?

RGS 07-25-2018 07:18 PM

Do you have Heads Up Display. The plastic cover, above the dash, sounds like "radio static"(very high pitched) on mine. You can put your hand on it to stop vibration. Hopefully at my next dealer visit they will have a fix?????

Nice Ride 07-25-2018 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by RGS (Post 7512372)
Do you have Heads Up Display. The plastic cover, above the dash, sounds like "radio static"(very high pitched) on mine. You can put your hand on it to stop vibration. Hopefully at my next dealer visit they will have a fix?????

With the assembly removed but still connected ( I assume ), cant you bring the car up to the 1100 RPM and move the wheel to the location you stated? Or is it only when driving... Just curious.

Merserybenze 07-25-2018 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by RGS (Post 7512372)

No

Merserybenze 07-25-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nice Ride (Post 7512443)
With the assembly removed but still connected ( I assume ), cant you bring the car up to the 1100 RPM and move the wheel to the location you stated? Or is it only when driving... Just curious.

I did that and it didn't rattle. It appears to be when the lcd panel is screwed into place. Tomorrow I'm going to try putting some packing foam behind the panel before re-assembling it.

S63AMG888 07-26-2018 01:36 AM

I would put everything back together exactly how it was and take a video of the rattle sound and then bring the car and video back to the dealer and ask them to find the problem. You could potentially void some warranty by removing the LCD panel.

S550e 07-26-2018 01:47 AM

I have an annoying rattle in my HUD. I've taken it to the dealer multiple times and have many videos. They don't want to take apart the whole dash so everytime I take it in, theres nothing they want to do about it. The last time I took the car in for the rattle complaint, they asked me if I could authroize the GM to joy ride in it all weekend so I hesitantly said yes, hoping he would hear it. Nope

Katie22 07-26-2018 06:56 AM

s550 I had the hud rattle and three times to the dealer. I ended up fixing it myself. I took felt and placed it around the cover edge that touches the plastic lense on the hud. It adds pressure to the lense and no longer makes noise.

Merserybenze 07-26-2018 11:50 AM

One last try - removed panel and put sponge sheets behind panel before re-assembly. i'll give it a few days to see if it worked.

MBS63AMG 07-28-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Merserybenze (Post 7512879)
One last try - removed panel and put sponge sheets behind panel before re-assembly. i'll give it a few days to see if it worked.

I feel your pain. Immediately after I bought my car 16 months ago the rattling around the plastic covers that are in and around the rear view mirror where all of the cameras and sensors are located rattled something terrible. I had to jam black rubber/foam material along the seams to stop it. The other rattles in the right rear area of my car are either coming from the pano roof or they are coming from within the C pillar /roof areas where possibly airbag components are not secured well enough. I've learned to just ignore it. My W221 (2007 S600) never had a single rattle or squeak. They have definitely dropped the ball in quality of build on the W222 compared to other models. That being said, when I test drove a 2018 S560 a month or two ago, I was amazed at how quiet it was in terms of lack of interior squeaks and rattles.

Merserybenze 07-29-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG (Post 7514828)
I feel your pain. Immediately after I bought my car 16 months ago the rattling around the plastic covers that are in and around the rear view mirror where all of the cameras and sensors are located rattled something terrible. I had to jam black rubber/foam material along the seams to stop it. The other rattles in the right rear area of my car are either coming from the pano roof or they are coming from within the C pillar /roof areas where possibly airbag components are not secured well enough. I've learned to just ignore it. My W221 (2007 S600) never had a single rattle or squeak. They have definitely dropped the ball in quality of build on the W222 compared to other models. That being said, when I test drove a 2018 S560 a month or two ago, I was amazed at how quiet it was in terms of lack of interior squeaks and rattles.

my 2018 s450 was really quite and rattle free for the first couple of months too...then the rattle started.

Merserybenze 07-30-2018 05:42 PM

removed the cluster (Duo LCD unit) totally and put it on the back seat. Removed ac vent in front of LCD panels. drove it and still heard rattle coming from the dashboard. I give up. Have an apt with the dealer later this week. I can say I tried!.

MBNUT1 07-30-2018 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Merserybenze (Post 7516275)
removed the cluster (Duo LCD unit) totally and put it on the back seat. Removed ac vent in front of LCD panels. drove it and still heard rattle coming from the dashboard. I give up. Have an apt with the dealer later this week. I can say I tried!.

You are a brave man to be doing this with an in warranty car.

Merserybenze 08-13-2018 06:04 PM

Fixed! Dealer kept the car for a week and tried various things including removing most of the dash. In the end it was the HVAC connection to the ventilation system under the hood near the windshield in front of the passenger side - under the cowling. Technician put some adhesive felt between the joint and it fixed it. Car is back to a quite vibration free drive.

MBS63AMG 08-13-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Merserybenze (Post 7527919)
Fixed! Dealer kept the car for a week and tried various things including removing most of the dash. In the end it was the HVAC connection to the ventilation system under the hood near the windshield in front of the passenger side - under the cowling. Technician put some adhesive felt between the joint and it fixed it. Car is back to a quite vibration free drive.

Wow. That turned out to be almost open heart surgery. Hopefully that is the end of that!

Nice Ride 08-13-2018 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Merserybenze (Post 7527919)

Thanks for posting the solution... Hopefully it will not happen to anyone else. :)

Denis Frcko 11-06-2020 07:12 AM

Hello,w205 owner here.

After a year of use i've noticed all kind of sounds inside during driving(our Croatian roads are.,...on the bad side)....went to sound isolating jihad(aka holy war lol)

Located 4 main sources of squeaks:

Piano black console/command display.
Casing of cluster gauges(loudest)
Prolly a glovebox but still to investigate more
Doors(sometimes),usually during SHARP turns or fast acceleration/breaking

Till i find where to buy felt tapes in Croatia i played around command display and found a quick and cheap solution,dunno how to say it on English: tiny rubbers

One longer for whole circle around diplay/dashboard joing...it will almost completely slip inside that joint,then i took two black,shorter ones and padded that slip ins from passenger side and driver side(more demanding due to steering wheel in the way.

Aesthetic is great u don't see them,rattles and squeaks from smaller bumps completely eliminated from the center part of the cabin.

Now God help me with others :D

hyperion667 11-06-2020 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Denis Frcko (Post 8196364)
Hello,w205 owner here.

After a year of use i've noticed all kind of sounds inside during driving(our Croatian roads are.,...on the bad side)....went to sound isolating jihad(aka holy war lol)

Located 4 main sources of squeaks:

Piano black console/command display.
Casing of cluster gauges(loudest)
Prolly a glovebox but still to investigate more
Doors(sometimes),usually during SHARP turns or fast acceleration/breaking

Till i find where to buy felt tapes in Croatia i played around command display and found a quick and cheap solution,dunno how to say it on English: tiny rubbers

One longer for whole circle around diplay/dashboard joing...it will almost completely slip inside that joint,then i took two black,shorter ones and padded that slip ins from passenger side and driver side(more demanding due to steering wheel in the way.

Aesthetic is great u don't see them,rattles and squeaks from smaller bumps completely eliminated from the center part of the cabin.

Now God help me with others :D

Maybe try the 205 board :D

Denis Frcko 11-06-2020 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 8196380)
Maybe try the 205 board :D

Sorry,no idea how that ended up here :D