MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Anyone who Got the New 2018 S450 Sorry they just did not go with the S560 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/717683-anyone-who-got-new-2018-s450-sorry-they-just-did-not-go-s560.html)

2012 merc amg 08-09-2018 12:26 AM

Anyone who Got the New 2018 S450 Sorry they just did not go with the S560

I'm thinking about replacing my 2015 S550 with a 2018 S450. Performance is not too much of a concern as I do have a E63 AMG Wagon which is a rocket. I'm mainly concerned with a comfortable smooth car and the added fuel economy would be nice as I'd think the range between fill ups on the highway should be around 600 miles or so. Plus the over 10 grand savings on the initial cost over the S560 would be nice too. I'm thinking if I got one it would be the 2WD with the optional Magic suspension upgrade. Probably be the Magno gray with the nut brown int and the Sport package as I like the way those cars look a lot better. I'd also get the Distronic and the Premium package 1. I figure the Sticker new would be around 110K and hope to get the car for around 100K and get at least 40K for my 2015. Anyhow, the main point of the post is there any people who are sorry they did not spend the extra ten grand and get the S560 with the 4.0 V8 Motor? I do really like the power my S550 has, but I figure the S450 is like 90 HP less so there should not be all that much of big difference plus the S450 has the 9 speed Auto, my car the 7 Speed Auto, so the 9 speed should help out too. I wish they were brining the S500 with the inline 429 hp 6 to the states soon, but I don't think thats gonna happen for a least another couple more years and I'm not getting any younger.

ajm0623 08-09-2018 08:21 AM

i’m not sorry at all. i bought my ‘18 s450 in may after seeing it on the lot. i come from 25yrs of owning s-class cars - always the biggest engine offered. but this s450 was loaded and looked stunning with the exclusive porcelain/black nappa leather. so - i thought - what the hell. if i don’t like it - i’ll trade it. the car has pleny of power for me. never leaving me wanting for anything. and an interesting upside is that - unlike in years past - the smaller engine s-class offers as standard all the equipment as the larger engine s-class; in prior years, in the smaller engine s-class, you had to buck up for equipment that was otherwise standard on the larger engine s-class. not so anymore - the *only* difference now is the engine size. and the 33mpg i get on the highway doesn't hurt either. i think those that don’t give the s450 a shot are doing themselves a disservice. if you can get past not having a ‘560’ nomenclature on the boot deck - then you’re good to go.

2012 merc amg 08-09-2018 09:11 AM

It looks like they must have moved up the fuel tank size too from previous years. It looks like it's 24.6 gallons, I know my 2015 is only 21. So I'd think the range on the highway with the 450 would be near 700 miles which is pretty darn good. I think with the twin turbo V6 the car should have plenty of power, not the rocketship the 560 is but not like I'm gonna be racing anyone in the car.

Streamliner 08-09-2018 09:48 AM

I drove a 2018 S450 and was very impressed, but I ordered an S560. There is just something about a V8 in a big, luxury sedan that is lost with the V6. I had a 2015 S550 and that was a good car, but the S560 is much improved, in ways that are very important to me, namely smoothness, ride comfort and quietness. Acceleration is effortless and virtually silent. And, the sounds it does make, give me the feeling that the car is being driven by some type of giant turbine, rather that an internal combustion engine. The S450 did not feel like that to me. Both the S450 and S560 are excellent choices, but like everyone else, I’m not getting any younger, I can afford the V8, I wanted it, so I got it and I am very happy with my choice. Lastly, I believe V8 powered cars, especially sedans, are going to become extinct sometime soon, so might as well enjoy them while we can.

Ronny G 08-09-2018 12:39 PM

No regrets

Had our S450 since January and really dig the engine and performance.

Somehow the weight savings of nearly 200lbs up front makes the car nimble with fantastic handling.

I think the 0-60 time is just under a second difference. If I live in Germany and Autobahn cruising then the maybe 560.

Drive both extensively and I think it should be an easy decision for you.

2012 merc amg 08-09-2018 03:01 PM

Thanks all, I think you're right Ronnie, I guess I'll take them both for a drive when the time comes and just go with my heart, sounds like fuel mileage is maybe 3 mpg more for the V6 which is not a hell of a lot. The 560 would still have tremendous range, like 600 miles on the highway. I do enjoy all the power my S550 has and can imagine a slight bit more with the S560. As Streamliner said the sounds of car would be more pleasant for me with the V8, I am kind of a moorhead, unless it was a deal just too good to pass up. What really got me going on this idea was I saw this car listed which is in CA for only 80 grand. It's a real bargain. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Merced...lbJOH6&vxp=mtr If I lived near thousand oaks in CA I'd probably scoop this car it, it seems too good to be true though, makes me wonder if it's got an accident on it or something else wrong. The Magno paint is like a 4000 option, the sport package another 5 grand and a few other things. I don't think it has the driver assistant package through which is a bummer.

Ronny G 08-09-2018 03:48 PM

Thats a great deal. I'd suggest hopping a plane to CA and getting this deal wrapped up.

Looks like the car is well optioned with great color combo.

superangrypenguin 08-09-2018 05:41 PM

Pls report back on the outcome. I am curious what the OP decides as I may be in a similar situation soon.

jumpman726 08-09-2018 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7524900)
Thanks all, I think you're right Ronnie, I guess I'll take them both for a drive when the time comes and just go with my heart, sounds like fuel mileage is maybe 3 mpg more for the V6 which is not a hell of a lot. The 560 would still have tremendous range, like 600 miles on the highway.

Nothing wrong with the S450. Test drive both and see what feels better. According to Mercedes, the fuel savings is only 1 mpg between the S450 & S560, so don't put too much weight into fuel savings when deciding. One thing that isn't talked about much is that the V8 in the 560 has cylinder deactivation. The V6 in the 450 doesn't have that. That's why the mpg difference is negligible between the two.

Streamliner 08-10-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jumpman726 (Post 7525327)
Nothing wrong with the S450. Test drive both and see what feels better. According to Mercedes, the fuel savings is only 1 mpg between the S450 & S560, so don't put too much weight into fuel savings when deciding. One thing that isn't talked about much is that the V8 in the 560 has cylinder deactivation. The V6 in the 450 doesn't have that. That's why the mpg difference is negligible between the two.

I’m glad you brought up “Cylinder Deactivation.” I remember hearing that the face lifted W222 would have this feature and being concerned, remembering the old Cadillac “8-6-4” system that was such a bust in the 80’s. However, that was the first and last time I ever heard the term regarding the new W222. My S560 must have the feature, but I have never noticed it and I am hyper sensitive to such things. So, I am wondering if the car needs to be in ECO mode for it to work? I know, “read the manual,” but if someone just knows, I’d like to hear about it.

ChuckinTucson 08-11-2018 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7524900)
Thanks all, I think you're right Ronnie, I guess I'll take them both for a drive when the time comes and just go with my heart, sounds like fuel mileage is maybe 3 mpg more for the V6 which is not a hell of a lot. The 560 would still have tremendous range, like 600 miles on the highway. I do enjoy all the power my S550 has and can imagine a slight bit more with the S560. As Streamliner said the sounds of car would be more pleasant for me with the V8, I am kind of a moorhead, unless it was a deal just too good to pass up. What really got me going on this idea was I saw this car listed which is in CA for only 80 grand. It's a real bargain. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Merced...lbJOH6&vxp=mtr If I lived near thousand oaks in CA I'd probably scoop this car it, it seems too good to be true though, makes me wonder if it's got an accident on it or something else wrong. The Magno paint is like a 4000 option, the sport package another 5 grand and a few other things. I don't think it has the driver assistant package through which is a bummer.

It's at Rusnak which owns a number of dealerships in the SoCal area, including a Mercedes Benz dealership. This particular car looks like it's at their Porsche dealership. Rusnak has been around for a number of years and is very reputable. I had an A/C problem while traveling through Pasadena from my home in Arizona to Northern California, called my local dealer who called the Rusnak MB dealership and they got me in/out in a matter of a couple of hours.

joeyb1000 08-13-2018 10:21 PM

The engine is one of the things I brag about. Very smooth, good power, great gas mileage.

Given that, the 560 must be wonderful.

Mitch Alsup 08-13-2018 11:25 PM

I got 25.2 MPG today in my S600 (yes the V12) from Reno to SLC.

The thing is, if you know how to drive them, they are all economical.

Mitch Alsup 08-14-2018 10:00 PM

Just to reinforce the previous message::

Today I got 24.7 MPH between SLC and Glenwood springs CO.
Nobody can assert this route does not have lots of up and down in the mountains.

2012 merc amg 08-14-2018 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7529028)
Just to reinforce the previous message::

Today I got 24.7 MPH between SLC and Glenwood springs CO.
Nobody can assert this route does not have lots of up and down in the mountains.

Ya, I can get around 23 on my E63 AMG on the highway just nursing it along and I generally get around 26 on my 2015 S550 4 matic Sedan. I still kind of want to test drive a Genisis G90 and compare it to my 2015 S550. I figure I could get one of those new for around my 2015 S550 plus 25 grand, It I get the S560 it's gonna be my car plus 60 grand or so. Big difference.

Mitch Alsup 05-02-2019 03:53 PM

The downhill run from Flagstaff to Moabi near the Colorado river crossing into California last week.
This is in the V12
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7e936434e3.jpg

It was down to 26.7 by the time I got to Bakersfield

UrBusted 05-02-2019 04:55 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c51736e57b.jpg

Some around "town" driving. My 2016 S8 got 15-25mpg under similar conditions, and 2014 A8l 3.0 around 35-40mpg for comparison of luxury barges. I have a loaner 2019 3.0 V6 Discovery which barely hangs onto 30mpg. There's nothing I've had this luxurious which provides this level of economy, I used to live in petrol stations until I decided to try a V6 S Class.

fun33 05-03-2019 08:57 AM

S560

When I ordered my S560, the deciding factor was the availability of MBC. The brochure shows ABC is available on the S450 but that is an error. We were not interested in either AMG model. I love the V8 and just can't imagine having a vehicle this weight and size without both MBC and a smooth, powerful V*.

Mitch Alsup 05-03-2019 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7524607)
I drove a 2018 S450 and was very impressed, but I ordered an S560. There is just something about a V8 in a big, luxury sedan that is lost with the V6.

One can say exactly the same thing about the V12 versus the V8, too.

Streamliner 05-03-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7747592)

Yes, in an S Class, I imagine that is probably the case. However, I drove 2017 SL65 AMG a couple of days ago and that car, to me, was just HORRIBLE! Very heavy feeling, horrible ride quality. I have often heard of that car being referred to as a “monster.” I would agree with that depiction. I love the look of that car, but would never wish to own one.

Ronny G 05-03-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by fun33 (Post 7747477)
When I ordered my S560, the deciding factor was the availability of MBC. The brochure shows ABC is available on the S450 but that is an error. We were not interested in either AMG model. I love the V8 and just can't imagine having a vehicle this weight and size without both MBC and a smooth, powerful V*.

You've got an extra 178 pounds to lug around...

places 05-03-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7747592)

V12's are anomaly's. Most people will pass on the V12 and stick with the V8, price independent. It's a very small number and market. I've considered the 12's but just don't really see a big enough difference other than bragging rights.

Radman991 05-03-2019 06:22 PM

S560

I traded in my 2015 S550 for a 2018 S560. I drive from RI to southeast Florida every year and put a decent amount of hiway miles on the car in Florida as well. Driving on 95 for over 40 years I’ve had my share of close calls, mostly with semis driving up my butt. I wanted a car to accelerate smoothly and get me out of harms way. Just didn’t think a 6 in such a big car would do it. Plus like Streamliner I’m not getting any younger, I can afford it and was amazed at averaging over 30 mpg on my Ri-Fl trip. It’s also supposed to have cylinder deactivation, but like Stream I could not tell when or if it engaged. Plus as I recall when I ordered the car, the 19” wheels and the Napa leather were standard on the 560 whereas it was option on my 550 (and I believe at the time the 450). Don’t regret it for a second getting the 560. From what I am hearing about the new redesign S class coming down the road with level 3 self driving, I am looking forward to ordering that model when it comes out. The electronics on the 560 were a major upgrade to the 550 and I expect the new redesign to be even more advanced.

Streamliner 05-03-2019 09:54 PM

Yesterday, I took delivery of a 2019 SL450. I never dreamed that I would go for a V6 over a V8, but on this particular car, it was the way to go for me. The car drives with such a nimble, sportier, smoother feel over the V8 SL550. And, with 360+ HP, it has plenty of get up and go for this old guy. As for my 2018 S560, it never ceases to amaze me, with its turbine like acceleration, smoothness and ultra quiet delivery of power. I simply LOVE the V8 in the big sedan. We need to enjoy these marvelous V8’s while we can, as their days are numbered.

DABRONX 05-04-2019 01:27 PM

If you like that effortless puling away then you have to have a v8. If you don't mind a more normal take off you will be ok with the v6. I looked at trading in for newer but why? Its the exact car unless you have miles or wear? I would wait for a refresh your getting the same car and if you get the v6 your getting a lesser car.

As far as trying other makes and comparing to your older s550 I will bet you will choose when of the newer off brands. Th problem is if you look at the other brands they have all up'd their quality and options so much and Mercedes and BMW have done the opposite in cost cutting that they are losing their edge. I had a BMW 2016 750 with every single option available and will tell you the interior just looked cheap. It looks incredible in pictures but in reality a Kia or Genisis looked very similar.

Funny thing is you are almost getting that more distinctive ride with a KIA900 or Gneisis vs a S class with the identity issue with their lower models. I drive a 2015 S550 and cannot tell the difference if I'm near an E class without looking at the emblem.

We have a 2015 and my wife loves the car but it will be the last Mercedes I buy unless they make the car more distinctive. I have been in the Lexus, Kia and Genisis and will tell you they are catching up quickly!!! That K900 is a distinctive looking car in the right color. If only Maserati would up their game.