MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Suggested leather care for steering wheel? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/717927-suggested-leather-care-steering-wheel.html)

garygnu 08-11-2018 08:03 AM

Suggested leather care for steering wheel?

hi all,
I HATE when the leather on a steering wheel gets shiny. I have I think mother’s leather cleaner and conditioner which I’ve Used on bmw seats. Can anyone recommend some good stuff for those few leather points of contact on the steering wheel? They’re starting to get shiny' I figure a good clean and condition ca help. Many thanks!

superpop 08-11-2018 11:13 AM

I use a product from Griot's Garage called leather cleaner and restorer. Brings back the natural finish of the leather.

garygnu 08-11-2018 01:38 PM

Thank you!

MBS63AMG 08-11-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by garygnu (Post 7526210)
hi all,
I HATE when the leather on a steering wheel gets shiny. I have I think mother’s leather cleaner and conditioner which I’ve Used on bmw seats. Can anyone recommend some good stuff for those few leather points of contact on the steering wheel? They’re starting to get shiny' I figure a good clean and condition ca help. Many thanks!

I feel the same way. In fact I clean mine every month. I also clean the front seats every month. I can't stand it when skin cells, sweat , food debris, and grime begin to make the leather shine. I rarely eat in my car but still every now and then I have to.
I clean mine (the leather and suede) with a canned foam , spray-on detergent . It's a dirt lifting foam spray that I bought at Advance Auto. It is a leather, plastic, all surface foam cleaner. I spray it onto the area, let it sit for 30 seconds and then gently wipe with a soft cloth. I repeat it if necessary.

One clean, the suede doesn't leave those fingernail scar marks any longer. That's how I test if I need to clean the suede on my steering wheel. I scratch it with a fingernail and if it leaves a scar mark....time to clean! Once that scratch residue marks returns, I clean it again.
My wife spilled something on her seat the other day, leaving debris down in those ventilation holes in the leather. I thought there was no way to get it out. WRONG! This foaming cleaner lifted it right out and it looks new.

Detailingdoc 08-11-2018 03:32 PM

For protecting leather you could also look into something like gyeon leather shield which lasts a couple years. They also have a coating which lasts 6 months.

I recently used it to protect my leather as i have two small toddlers. It doesnt change the appearance or texture so i imagine it can also be used on the steering wheel.
You start by cleaning with their leather cleaner or any other cleaner like lexol, griots etc.

its available on autogeek

Utopia Texas 08-11-2018 04:48 PM

Well, The stylish way to protect the steering wheel used many years ago was to wear leather driving gloves! :)

BenzV12 08-12-2018 02:37 AM

I think any leather product than can be used for cleaning ,reconditioning the seats can also be used for leather steering wheel . I don't wanna steer you wrong way but I use any antibacterial wet towel and cologne to clean the steering wheel.

El Cid 08-12-2018 11:14 AM

I use Lexol on my car. But, part of it is the oils from your hands is going to get on the steering wheel. The longer you have the car, the more it will build up. Not sure any leather cleaner will get it out as it ages.

carsnob 08-12-2018 11:49 AM

Consider "Leatherique". It's a two-step process that cleans and conditions both new and old leather. Works great on seats and prevents that wear & cracking --especially that left side part of the driver seat that seems to get worn first.
You rub in the conditioner (part one), then ideally leave the car in the hot sun for it to "bake" into the leather .
After an hour or two run off with part two (" pristine clean"), and you'll also notice right away that the leather has a softer feel.
...same thing on the leather part of the steering wheel

carsnob 08-12-2018 11:52 AM

Consider "Leatherique". It's a two-step process that cleans and conditions both new and old leather. Works great on seats and prevents that wear & cracking --especially that left side part of the driver seat that seems to get worn first.
You rub in the conditioner (part one), then ideally leave the car in the hot sun for it to "bake" into the leather .
After an hour or two run off with part two (" pristine clean"), and you'll also notice right away that the leather has a softer feel...same for the leather part of the steering wheel

garygnu 08-12-2018 11:57 AM

thanks all - based on the replies i watched some griot's videos - and then dusted off my lexol cleaner and conditioner and gave it a shot - i put it on thick and let it sit (so it should soak in) and then any residue i'll wipe off. i did try to go a little heavier than normal with the water on the rag as i wanted some sudsing action.

my recollection from the past is that is was a little greasy and didn't remove sheen. on my bmw (where i didn't care) i tried everything including rubbing alcohol (which i know is a bad, bad thing) and 409 (maybe a worse thing!) and i didn't quite try sandpaper but i was close - i think i did use a toothbrush. the leather cleaners with glycerin? say how gentle and ph balanced they are - i don't know how important that is if you condition shortly thereafter, but i'm no leather expert.

my wheel and leather seem great, but the sheen is starting by the leather edges where it meets the wood - in fact, if my hands are sweaty or i think not clean i'll try to use the wood part of the wheel versus the leather - for giggles i also did the seats and center console and armrests (and i frankly don't know where the leather ends and vinyl or mbtex or whatever begins).

thank you again for the replies, and i welcome any further advice, warnings, etc.
if i'm not happy i'll either continue to search or just buy one or more of the products suggested by you kind folk - the gist seems to be to just use anything.
i know there's that special seat stuff mentioned a few replies ago - i'd get that - however i don't want sheen, i want a dull, satin type of finish that new car leather seems to have.
again, thanks.