MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Oil change W222 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/718647-oil-change-w222.html)

superangrypenguin 08-18-2018 05:07 PM

Oil change W222

One of the things that matters to me is the ability for me to do an oil change on my car easily. Quite literally today, I did an oil change on my W204 in about 15 minutes. I extract the oil through the dipstick, swap out the oil filter, rings, add new oil and voila. I love that.

As I look towards my next car, the ability to do my own oil change without going underneath the car, etc, matters to me. So I just want to confirm.

On the S450/550, etc (W222), the oil filter is still on top, right? And there is still a dipstick?

Thanks

Nice Ride 08-18-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7532331)
One of the things that matters to me is the ability for me to do an oil change on my car easily. Quite literally today, I did an oil change on my W204 in about 15 minutes. I extract the oil through the dipstick, swap out the oil filter, rings, add new oil and voila. I love that.

As I look towards my next car, the ability to do my own oil change without going underneath the car, etc, matters to me. So I just want to confirm.

On the S450/550, etc (W222), the oil filter is still on top, right? And there is still a dipstick?

Thanks

2014 W222 S550 yes

But, someone else on the forum brought up a good point..... Its a good idea to get under the car to do an inspection in general and look for leaks etc... The S550 w222 has lots of plastic panels which can conceal leaks and or problems. I had such a leak and it was repaired under warrantee. Also, there is no way that you can get ALL the oil out through the dip stick, I do understand that dealers / shops do it all the time, but if you want to remove all the oil, the plug is the best way. I usually do a drain from the plug till its just a drizzle, then I put the plug back loosely, then do the filter. After completing the filter, I go back to the plug. You will be amazed how much oil is still draining into the pan.

superangrypenguin 08-18-2018 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nice Ride (Post 7532375)
2014 W222 S550 yes

But, someone else on the forum brought up a good point..... Its a good idea to get under the car to do an inspection in general and look for leaks etc... The S550 w222 has lots of plastic panels which can conceal leaks and or problems. I had such a leak and it was repaired under warrantee. Also, there is no way that you can get ALL the oil out through the dip stick, I do understand that dealers / shops do it all the time, but if you want to remove all the oil, the plug is the best way. I usually do a drain from the plug till its just a drizzle, then I put the plug back loosely, then do the filter. After completing the filter, I go back to the plug. You will be amazed how much oil is still draining into the pan.

On my vehicle the drain plug is not the lowest part of the pan so an oil extraction is the best way to evacuate the oil. Is this different on the S?

I did the same as you today. After doing the filter I evacuated about another half a liter

Nice Ride 08-18-2018 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7532414)
On my vehicle the drain plug is not the lowest part of the pan so an oil extraction is the best way to evacuate the oil. Is this different on the S?

I did the same as you today. After doing the filter I evacuated about another half a liter

The longer you wait, the more you extract. If you have OCD like me, you will wait about 20min to 1/2 hr.... I usually dump in a can of (snake oil) Sea Foam every other oil change. Let it idle for about 15 20 min. This stuff does an incredible job at getting rid of the varnish and keeping all the tiny oil ports clear. I know that there are many who say the synthetic oil and proper changes will keep things clean, but.... when I look down the fill cap, that brownish varnish will not get removed with proper oil changes. Sea foam will make it dissolve and leave it shiny and new.... Keeps my OCD in check. Walmart is the cheapest for Oil and Seafoam.... and free delivery to boot.... I also use the WIX XP oil filters, one of the best out there.... OK, that's my 2 Cents... I'm off the Soap Box! Enjoy your ride....

Mitch Alsup 08-19-2018 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7532331)

Doing an oil change without changing the oil filter is a recipe for disaster.

ItalianJoe1 08-19-2018 12:57 AM

The new 4.0l V8 in the S560 or S63 as of 2018 doesn't have the dipstick or a filter up top, but the 450 V6 and 550 V8 cars are regular still.

Nice Ride 08-19-2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7532544)

LOL, I was bouncing back and forth on the Mercedes forum and the Cadillac forum.... I always change the filter when I do oil changes.... On the Mercedes, I also always use OEM filters. On the XT5, I use WIX XP filters. I do use the Seafoam on the S every other oil change also.

superangrypenguin 08-19-2018 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7532544)

I'm not sure how you interpreted that from my statement. I very clearly said "swap out the oil filter".

Mitch Alsup 08-19-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7532671)
I'm not sure how you interpreted that from my statement. I very clearly said "swap out the oil filter".

My misreading mistake.