S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S550 lane assist any good and how's the audio in the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
S550 lane assist any good and how's the audio in the car?

I sold my W221 last year to get a a Volvo XC90. I'm back in the market for a new car. Wife wants another SUV, range rover and the only other sedan I want is another S class.

One thing I'll miss about the Volvo is the pilot assist and the B&W system. It's the best sounding stock system I've had.

My W221 needed the assistance of a 10w7 to sound ok but not anywhere near the B&W of the Volvo.

The PA on the Volvo is not perfect but takes the stress out of traffic and long trips. Was wondering how well these two features are on the W222.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 520 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Our Maybach has the 3D Burmeister and it is awesome. Worth every penny. The auto drive features are nice. We recently had a Chrysler 300 with auto drive features and they were nowhere near as nice!
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
I personally would go for the 3D Burmester audio option.

I'm going to get trolled until I'm dead for this, but I will bold this for emphasis.

In my opinion, I feel the regular Burmester stereo in the S class is absolutely horrendous. The bass is absolutely terrible (I learned after hearing it that there is no real subwoofer) and that explains why. There are PLENTY of used S classes here with this Burmester option and while I will entertain the idea of buying a used car, I absolutely will NOT in this case because I'd rather pay the extra $40K or whatever to buy it new so I can get the 3D stereo option.

I have never heard a more worse sounding stereo option in any flagship vehicle in recent years.

Again, this is my opinionand I do confess I am an audiophile, and a picky one at that.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I suspect there are a lot of people that don’t care about audio quality and so the base system is fine for them. I love the 3D system just like I love the ceramic brakes on our gtc. They are priceless if for no other reason that they have no brake dust. Something I can’t say about the maybach that always needs the wheels cleaned big time from brake dust.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Katie22
I suspect there are a lot of people that don’t care about audio quality and so the base system is fine for them.
Yes, absolutely agreed. Many people just buy the car for status and other reasons (I'm not judging at all, I'm just saying). I buy cars because I love and enjoy them, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the S class without the 3D option. To each their own as they say!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 PM

yea Super I agree. I once asked myself if i was to build a bare bones S class what would I have to have. I ended up with a S 450 and the options I picked were 1. magic body control, 2. burmeister 3d, 3. front massage seats, 4. all the auto drive features.

Dont get me wrong our maybach as virtually everything but the silver champagne glasses and the magic sky. All thats stuff is nice but the for mentioned options I find the best.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
I suspect there are a lot of people that don’t care about audio quality and so the base system is fine for them. I love the 3D system just like I love the ceramic brakes on our gtc. They are priceless if for no other reason that they have no brake dust. Something I can’t say about the maybach that always needs the wheels cleaned big time from brake dust.
I had a lot of bake dust on my last car E220d, and it is even worse on this car. Still a small price to pay to have the best car in the world.

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
One thing I'll miss about the Volvo is the pilot assist and the B&W system. It's the best sounding stock system I've had.
he PA on the Volvo is not perfect but takes the stress out of traffic and long trips. Was wondering how well these two features are on the W222.
The pilot assist is pretty good. I use the system all the time. The audio i also good, but i have some problems with mine. I think i am the only one. If testing the car, use my playlist to test it. I hope that will be fixed, otherwise great sounding system.

yea Super I agree. I once asked myself if i was to build a bare bones S class what would I have to have. I ended up with a S 450 and the options I picked were 1. magic body control, 2. burmeister 3d, 3. front massage seats, 4. all the auto drive features.
Dont get me wrong our maybach as virtually everything but the silver champagne glasses and the magic sky. All thats stuff is nice but the for mentioned options I find the best.
As far as i know, you cannot get the Magic Body Control without V8 or V12 and you cannot combine it with 4Matic or S63AMG. Magic Body Control is the best option in my opinion. The big surprise was the curve feature(included on the coupe and facelift sedan). The curve feature sounds a little stupid, but it works so great. It adds to the comfort level, even in the city and low speeds. It is awesome. Check youtube for video.

I was going to an event in the mountains in may. Some of the others went the day before me. One of them called me and told me to stay away from a certain road on the Hardangervidda, the winter had damaged the road with frost heave.

Not as bad as in the picture, but sharper and more uneven, and long good/better stretches. Not at all unusual here. Also there is a lot of curvy roads here. I was told to stay away from this road, and drive an alternative road, which is better, but less scenic than the legendary Hardangervidda.

So i was told to stay away from this road. I of course had to try the worst road in the country, with the most comfortable car in the world. The drive was fantastic. The cars ahead of me almost jumped over the road, and Magic Body Control just ate it. It was one of the best drives in my life. I had to call my friend and tell him about this, and it was a fun conversation. I also liked the curve control on this trip because it made everything even more comfortable. I love these features.

Big mistake on the Magic Sky control, one of my most used features, but it is costly, and sounds idiotic. A touch of a button and one second, and its the same as closing the sunroof totally, but you can still see the sky, and it blocks all heat. A pure luxury feature, but sounds stupid for the price. But one of my favourite features. I did regret ordering it because of the price, and how stupid it sounds, but when i got it, i was blown away, because it is so useful.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Oh I agree on the magic sky I am familiar with it but sadly our maybach does not have it. Next one will.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
You cannot get MBC (magic body control) with 4matic models.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Is the "curve feature" the same as "Route-based Speed Adaptation"? I'm asking because on the specs for the S450 4Matic, RBSA comes with the Driver Information Package and Distronic. That sounds pretty awesome.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Is the "curve feature" the same as "Route-based Speed Adaptation"? I'm asking because on the specs for the S450 4Matic, RBSA comes with the Driver Information Package and Distronic. That sounds pretty awesome.
I don't believe so, the Curve feature references active leaning in on curves/bends.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't believe so, the Curve feature references active leaning in on curves/bends.
Well, for me the RBSA is good enough. Here is what MB says for the S450 4Matic about this feature:

Route-based Speed Adaptation
Optional
COMAND® navigation and the advanced driver assistance suite collaborate to make using DISTRONIC® cruise control even easier. Using the map database, the system can automatically slow down in anticipation of curves, traffic circles, even tollbooths and highway interchanges, then resume up to the posted speed limit afterwards. The system can also slow down automatically when you signal for a highway exit, to help prepare you for stopping the car as needed.
superangrypenguin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 07:31 AM

I did do a quick build for an s450 and you can order it with magic body control. It is selected under performance and safety page.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
I did do a quick build for an s450 and you can order it with magic body control. It is selected under performance and safety page.
Not for 4matic models ...
Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM

S560
Yes that is correct.

Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Well, for me the RBSA is good enough. Here is what MB says for the S450 4Matic about this feature:
Route-based Speed Adaptation
Optional
COMAND® navigation and the advanced driver assistance suite collaborate to make using DISTRONIC® cruise control even easier. Using the map database, the system can automatically slow down in anticipation of curves, traffic circles, even tollbooths and highway interchanges, then resume up to the posted speed limit afterwards. The system can also slow down automatically when you signal for a highway exit, to help prepare you for stopping the car as needed.
I turned this off. Difficult to get right. If in sport, it goes the speed you set on cruise control. If in comfort it will slow down. Sometimes too much. Not good if you have traffic behind you. Too many times i had to intervene, so i turned it off. Great idea on paper, perhaps next version will have radar on the back of the car? LOL.

I would double check that with a dealer. Could be new for the facelift, but i have read a lot about how it is not possible to get Without the V8. Great news if true.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:39 AM

S560
Originally Posted by Carfan500
I would double check that with a dealer. Could be new for the facelift, but i have read a lot about how it is not possible to get Without the V8. Great news if true.
I tried now to build a S450 with Magic Body Control on the german site. That was not possible.

When i built my car i had several problems with the build. The dealer also had many problems. It took me a month to put together my build. This month cost me 3-4 months longer delivery time.

I was told that if i could build it in the german site, they could deliver it, and they did, but they had to place some phone calls. Bot the configurator in my country and the dealer ordering system said my build was not possible.

The german site is the right one.The configurator in each country is not what they use to order the car. But it seems that the german configurator is closest to what you can order. Some germans are unhappy that their configurator is not always 100% accurate, but i think they have the best one.

Last edited by Carfan500; 09-08-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads

I'm going to get trolled until I'm dead for this, but I will bold this for emphasis.

In my opinion, I feel the regular Burmester stereo in the S class is absolutely horrendous. The bass is absolutely terrible (I learned after hearing it that there is no real subwoofer) and that explains why. There are PLENTY of used S classes here with this Burmester option and while I will entertain the idea of buying a used car, I absolutely will NOT in this case because I'd rather pay the extra $40K or whatever to buy it new so I can get the 3D stereo option.

I have never heard a more worse sounding stereo option in any flagship vehicle in recent years.

Again, this is my opinionand I do confess I am an audiophile, and a picky one at that.
I agree. The base Burmester is lacking... Even with its surround settings, it gets very muffled and is not loud. Similar quality with BT or USB using Spotify, slightly better with HD radio.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 09-12-2018 at 01:44 AM.
superangrypenguin (09-12-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
S500 / Db9 / F360 / Range Sport V8
+1, I thought Bursmester was going to be good since it is an option... but it is just the same level as what you get in standard with other brands... I love my S but owning it I can notice a lot of cheap details and I can’t help to think they tried to please their shareholders by secretly compromising on the quality here and there...
superangrypenguin (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Carfan500
Yes that is correct.

I turned this off. Difficult to get right. If in sport, it goes the speed you set on cruise control. If in comfort it will slow down. Sometimes too much. Not good if you have traffic behind you. Too many times i had to intervene, so i turned it off. Great idea on paper, perhaps next version will have radar on the back of the car? LOL.

Cars in different countries can't be easily compared. Different markets, taxation, options packaging, and regulation/certification.

Plus the European navigation versions are more detailed than the US and road markings are typically significantly better. Speed-based navigation is silly unless you are the only one on the road as most don't obey the speed limit anyway and will push you (in theory ). I found the navigation-based speed to be quite good and had ample time to test it on Swiss mountain roads.
I did test driving on cruise in Germany up to 200 km/h for an hour or so just to see how well the car holds the lane at traffic and was impressed. Without the annoying messages to touch the steering wheel it could have fallen asleep. At least on the newer models you just have to touch the left steering wheel touchpad instead of touching/moving the actual steering wheel.

Looking forward to the next gen. system.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I guess I have to troll you then
IMHO I don't think the Burmester is horrendous and find it better than most. Previous MB systems (Harman Kardon, Bose, B&O) in different models were inferior to me. Our last BMW 7 series was bad and so were the Audi A8's we used to rent. Bentleys were no better. I do like the B&W system in the G12 BMW 7 series. I would also pay for the 3D audio upgrade.

That said, there are too many self-declared audiophiles that simply are looking for the type of sound they like best for the type of music they enjoy the most. This, however, only equals to be the best system for their music and their ears. It is subjective and personal, myself included
Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Im also a stereo nut.... I think the stock burmeister sounds great. I havent heard the 3d. Just for reference heres another one of my cars stereo.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I guess I have to troll you then
IMHO I don't think the Burmester is horrendous and find it better than most. Previous MB systems (Harman Kardon, Bose, B&O) in different models were inferior to me. Our last BMW 7 series was bad and so were the Audi A8's we used to rent. Bentleys were no better. I do like the B&W system in the G12 BMW 7 series. I would also pay for the 3D audio upgrade.

That said, there are too many self-declared audiophiles that simply are looking for the type of sound they like best for the type of music they enjoy the most. This, however, only equals to be the best system for their music and their ears. It is subjective and personal, myself included
Oh that's perfectly alright. Audio is entirely subjective. My main issue with the standard Burmester stereo on the S class, and same as with other Mercedes models, is the lack of a subwoofer. I am NOT that person who goes around thumping bass, but the standard woofer/lack of a subwoofer on the cars makes a very hollow sound. I would much rather take the 12 speaker H+K Logic 7 sound system on my current car than the Burmester base stereo on the S. I also prefer the outgoing Audi A8's Bose sound system as well, although it was too bass-y to me (I have the option to turn it down).

I have never heard the B&W sound system on the G12, but based on what I read on bimmerforums people were disappointed. That said, again, I haven't heard it myself.

Audio is subjective, that is for sure, and like opinions, to each their own!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 S450, 2020GLC300
I'm in the middle of you guys on the base Burmester. It's good, but I expected a little more.

It's kind of a Bose style system -- a lot of tweeters/horn speakers, plus a large woofer to handle everything else. So, you lose a bit in the mid-range, and the bass is very "puffy". And like most bose systems, it doesn't take up a lot of space