S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Added Higher Incentive to Take Over Lease

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
Added Higher Incentive to Take Over Lease

I'm leaving the US in about two months and unfortunately cannot take my beloved brand new S560 with me. So, with great regret, I must get out of my lease, and I just increased the cash incentive to take over the lease to $9,000, which makes the monthly payments effectively $1,686 plus tax. It's fully loaded with $25k of the best options. Sorry to see it go, but go it must. Other pics available (didn't want to clog up this board with too many pics).

Old 09-28-2018, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 374 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Hate to tell you but you are in a precarious situation here because you are trying to sell a car right after it's biggest depreciation hit. In the first year these cars lose about 20-30% of the MSRP so you will probably have to eat that much to get anyone to bite. I hope you find a buyer though as it is a great car.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
brings the payment to 1686? what are you paying a mo for it?
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by superpop
Hate to tell you but you are in a precarious situation here because you are trying to sell a car right after it's biggest depreciation hit. In the first year these cars lose about 20-30% of the MSRP so you will probably have to eat that much to get anyone to bite. I hope you find a buyer though as it is a great car.
Agreed, and with the higher incentive I'm just about there. May have to take the incentive just a bit higher. And you're right -- the car is absolutely amazing. Wish I could take it with me when I leave the country, but there are too many associated costs and hassles.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:02 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by 1bad540
brings the payment to 1686? what are you paying a mo for it?
With taxes, a little over $2100. That's a function of 1) virtually nothing down 2) the car being effectively fully loaded, with about $25,000 worth of options 3) high lease taxes here in CA 4) higher interest rates this year than several years ago and 5) a somewhat low residual factor given that a new and even better S Class will be available when this one comes off its lease. So, I'm going to be even more generous with the cash incentive and take it up a few thousand more. Ultimately that will get the payment down to something around 1550/mo plus taxes once the cash incentive is factored into the numbers..
Old 09-29-2018, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 212 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by superpop
He is looking to lease transfer the vehicle, not sell it. Depreciation is not really a factor here, payment is- and unfortunately the payment is very high. I hate to say it but even at $1686 plus tax that's still quite high.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Those are def high nmbrs.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 374 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Originally Posted by emilner
He is looking to lease transfer the vehicle, not sell it. Depreciation is not really a factor here, payment is- and unfortunately the payment is very high. I hate to say it but even at $1686 plus tax that's still quite high.
Depreciation is a huge factor here, you are paying the depreciation in the first year or two in the lease. There is nothing magical about a lease, someone has to pay the depreciation and that is typically the original buyer, thus the high payment. The residual value on these cars is typically about half of the new cost depending on the lease term but the biggest hit on depreciation is when you drive it off the lot. For all intent and purpose, this is now a used car, a very nice used car but used nonetheless. Private party is probably around 90K but the bigger problem is that anyone that can afford a 90K used car or even a used car with a 1600 lease payment will usually prefer new.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
I believe your numbers are attractive for a California buyer and someone comparing them to what they would pay to lease new. Leasing is basically renting so it's not so much new vs sightly used, more does your car have the features they want.

If you haven't already done so, post your offer to swapalease and leasetrader so you broadcast your offer most widely. The number of people interested in a lease deal like yours is small and this forum is probably not where they are looking.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:54 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by emilner
You're right, depreciation really isn't a factor at all.

The payment may seem high, but compared to others on the Swapalease.com site it's fully in line if not below the price of many other leases, including some for a S560 with less equipment.

Mine has $25,000 worth of options on it. That adds more than $325 to the monthly lease price compared to a stripped down version. So I could have gotten an S560 for about $1400 per month if I skipped the terrific $6,000 sound system and the $4,400 Magic Body Control and a few other goodies.

Plus I put only $2,000 down.

Nonetheless, I'm about to increase the cash incentive to bring the monthly price down to something in the $1500/mo equivalent range.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:57 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by mikey94025
I believe your numbers are attractive for a California buyer and someone comparing them to what they would pay to lease new. Leasing is basically renting so it's not so much new vs sightly used, more does your car have the features they want.

If you haven't already done so, post your offer to swapalease and leasetrader so you broadcast your offer most widely. The number of people interested in a lease deal like yours is small and this forum is probably not where they are looking.
You're quite right. I posted the deal on Swapalease and have received three soft leads (one from a game player so I ditched him). Maybe I should try Leasetrader as well.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:05 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by 1bad540
Those are def high nmbrs.
May seem so, but after comparing about two dozen other leases on Swapalease.com the price is easily in the ballpark if not a bit on the low side now.

Mine has $25,000 worth of options on it. That adds more than $325 to the monthly lease price compared to a stripped down version. So I could have gotten an S560 for about $1400 per month if I skipped the terrific $6,000 sound system and the $4,400 Magic Body Control and a few other goodies.

Plus I put only $2,000 down. And the full service package is built into the price.

When I was shopping for the car, I got lease prices from several dealers and went with the one that offered the lowest, so I know from my research that the deal is a good one.

One factor that may be producing a slightly higher price than in the past is the big 54% depreciation rate that Mercedes Finance used. That's a lot higher than the figure I have had on past leases, probably due to a major overhaul of the S-Class coming up, which will reduce the desirability of prior models, and the glut of S-Class cars coming off leases in a few years given the big sales increases they have had.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
With the additional options on the OPs car $1600+ tax is an excellent lease price. The problem is most lessees are going through dealerships, and these high-end buyers are conditioned to only lease new vehicles. And the Burmeister 3D system and Magic Body Control options, et al may mean more to WorldExplorer than to the vast majority of S Class lessees that might not care about these features. I sure would want to have them, though!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 212 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Rockland
With the additional options on the OPs car $1600+ tax is an excellent lease price. The problem is most lessees are going through dealerships, and these high-end buyers are conditioned to only lease new vehicles. And the Burmeister 3D system and Magic Body Control options, et al may mean more to WorldExplorer than to the vast majority of S Class lessees that might not care about these features. I sure would want to have them, though!

Agreed. The vast majority of S class buyers buy off the lot. And dealers usually stock a typical car with executive and maybe a few other add ons like AMG sport, distronic etc. The people who special order a well optioned car are few and far between and typically order exactly as they want. They aren't looking to swap a lease to save money or time to get a car that's 90% what they want. It is very much like the used car market- a $109k S class and a $130K will sell within a few $k of each other a couple of years down the line. It's a great car nonetheless- good luck with the swap.
The following users liked this post:
WorldExplorer (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:13 PM

S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by Rockland

Those features add SOOOO much enjoyment to driving this car! Well worth the money and some day I hope to get back into another S Class with these features. But, I'm moving to a semi-rural part of Mexico where an S Class would be far out of place (and MB Finance won't let me take it there anyay) -- I'm going to get an SUV when I get there in about two months. Maybe a Mercedes GLE, possibly (and with great apologies) a Porsche Macan. Fortunately I got a call from someone yesterday who is very interested in the car -- especially because it has the Magic Body Control and the Burmeister 3D! Apparently a car with both options is hard to come by, and he didn't want to wait the six months or so it would take to order and get one. Plus he likes the very low lease price. So maybe, just maybe, someone is going to be driving off in a great car at an amazing price very soon. But, boy, am I gonna miss it!
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (10-02-2018)