S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2019 S560 - Wireless Apple Car Play yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 S63 4-Matic
2019 S560 - Wireless Apple Car Play yet?

I have a 2015 S550 and it's great, but we will be snowbirds this season, coming to the USA for winter, and I'd really like to be able to use Apple Car Play for Navigation.

I dislike having to plug in a wire every time I enter and leave the vehicle.

I see we have wireless Qi charging, but surely it is time to make wireless Apple Car Play function?

It's a deal-breaker for me and I might be checking out a BMW 7 series - All for the silly wireless Apple Car Play integration. We shall see how it goes.

I was really hoping the 2018 S560 would have wireless car play - but it does NOT.

Thanks for any help or comments!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Buddyk
It's a deal-breaker for me and I might be checking out a BMW 7 series - All for the silly wireless Apple Car Play integration. We shall see how it goes.
Can you just get an iPad Mini, add it to your cellphone plan, and leave it wired in your car? It seems a shame to pick your next car based solely on bluetooth Apple Car Play integration.

If iPhone integration is the most important thing to you then perhaps you should just buy a Tesla or Japanese car? They're going to have the latest telematics software.
The following users liked this post:
Buddyk (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Problem is that most car manufacturers are behind the 8 ball on Integration.
BMW has wireless CarPlay but the use is not without issues (check BMW forums) plus I hate that they charge for the option plus are moving to a subscription-based model.
Sinple money grab. This is not even their tech...

While CarPlay is wired only and only uses the single screen functionality, I like the wheel touchpad functionality for music and ability to use either navigation function (MB or Apple, Google Maps, Waze). Older versions had CarPlay take over too much. I thinks that BMW does not have that.
The following users liked this post:
Buddyk (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 S63 4-Matic
Originally Posted by mikey94025
Can you just get an iPad Mini, add it to your cellphone plan, and leave it wired in your car? It seems a shame to pick your next car based solely on bluetooth Apple Car Play integration.

If iPhone integration is the most important thing to you then perhaps you should just buy a Tesla or Japanese car? They're going to have the latest telematics software.

Haha - no. It is not the "most" important, but some years have passed and I'd very much like to have wireless Car Play for the purpose of navigation in a new city. It's very handy to use Siri and ask for particular restaurants etc - and then by looking at the GPS screen you can learn a lot about the layout of the city, and that has been how I have been learning about the main roads and neighborhoods etc. I think its a bit unfair to pick on me for my desire to have current tech. Its a big part of driving in a new city!

Would be nice to have it integrated into the car and be able to use the nice screen.

I would rather not tamper with the car at all.

Anyways - I love my 2015 S550 - but it is black, and I think a lighter colour car will be better for warmer climates. I'm looking at a 2018 S63 - "White designo metallic bright" or something, and I was surprised the updated S560 and S63 models do not include wireless Apple Car Play. I'd like to trade my car in right now and buy an 2018, but if the 2019 models have wireless Apple Car Play - I could justify waiting.

I did check out a 7 series 2018 short wheelbase. It was a bit of a copycat of the S-class actually. Feature by feature - copied.

I mean - it's too much of a coincidence to me that the 7 series has an air ionizing perfume thing and massage seats. One of the cars had a feature first and the other one copied. I was surprised a bit to see that because I do not think it is "obvious" that an automobile should have an air ionizing perfume dispenser! Don't these companies have the ***** to innovate? It's a lot like Apple and Android. Very nice car, but I noticed that the S550 was more comfortable and somehow feels bigger in every way. So it has Wireless CarPlay on the BMW - but the screen looks like it was an afterthought aftermarket installation. It reminded me of why I bought the S550. S550 has a very well designed interior, How stupid is it for BMW to have a fake stick-shift for a car that basically has automatic transmission. Mercedes S550 was very smart to have the traditional steering column "shifter stalk", Together with paddle shifters, there is zero need to have a "shifter". No wonder Tesla is doing so well - many cars are so poorly thought out. So the "deal breaker" for BMW is that their screen is too small and looks like it was like your suggestion "duct tape an iPad mini to your dashboard or buy a Japanese car!" - You said that right?

My solution so far is to "suffer" the agony of plugging in a cord to my iPhone every time I get into the car. At least I have this excuse to upgrade my 2015. I paid $140K in January 2015 and trade in is looking like $65K (Canadian Dollars) - I can keep it for years and years more - but life is way too short. Give me an S63 with a sport exhaust button so I can make big noise when someone tailgates me

Sorry for there poor sentence structure this evening - I should go back and edit my grammar, but probably won't - so my apologies.

Last edited by Buddyk; 09-29-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Buddyk

Haha - no. It is not the "most" important, but some years have passed and I'd very much like to have wireless Car Play for the purpose of navigation in a new city. It's very handy to use Siri and ask for particular restaurants etc - and then by looking at the GPS screen you can learn a lot about the layout of the city, and that has been how I have been learning about the main roads and neighborhoods etc. I think its a bit unfair to pick on me for my desire to have current tech. Its a big part of driving in a new city!

Would be nice to have it integrated into the car and be able to use the nice screen.

I would rather not tamper with the car at all.

Anyways - I love my 2015 S550 - but it is black, and I think a lighter colour car will be better for warmer climates. I'm looking at a 2018 S63 - "White designo metallic bright" or something, and I was surprised the updated S560 and S63 models do not include wireless Apple Car Play. I'd like to trade my car in right now and buy an 2018, but if the 2019 models have wireless Apple Car Play - I could justify waiting.

I did check out a 7 series 2018 short wheelbase. It was a bit of a copycat of the S-class actually. Feature by feature - copied.

I mean - it's too much of a coincidence to me that the 7 series has an air ionizing perfume thing and massage seats. One of the cars had a feature first and the other one copied. I was surprised a bit to see that because I do not think it is "obvious" that an automobile should have an air ionizing perfume dispenser! Don't these companies have the ***** to innovate? It's a lot like Apple and Android. Very nice car, but I noticed that the S550 was more comfortable and somehow feels bigger in every way. So it has Wireless CarPlay on the BMW - but the screen looks like it was an afterthought aftermarket installation. It reminded me of why I bought the S550. S550 has a very well designed interior, How stupid is it for BMW to have a fake stick-shift for a car that basically has automatic transmission. Mercedes S550 was very smart to have the traditional steering column "shifter stalk", Together with paddle shifters, there is zero need to have a "shifter". No wonder Tesla is doing so well - many cars are so poorly thought out. So the "deal breaker" for BMW is that their screen is too small and looks like it was like your suggestion "duct tape an iPad mini to your dashboard or buy a Japanese car!" - You said that right?

My solution so far is to "suffer" the agony of plugging in a cord to my iPhone every time I get into the car. At least I have this excuse to upgrade my 2015. I paid $140K in January 2015 and trade in is looking like $65K (Canadian Dollars) - I can keep it for years and years more - but life is way too short. Give me an S63 with a sport exhaust button so I can make big noise when someone tailgates me

Sorry for there poor sentence structure this evening - I should go back and edit my grammar, but probably won't - so my apologies.
Just FYI,
Siri works wirelessly anyway by using the Voice command button on the steering wheel. No need to be wired... I use it to make calls without having the phone connected via CarPlay but I have never attempted other functionality. Will try that...
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have carplay in my current 5 series - I've used it twice. It stinks, the regular headunit software is much better. They are moving to a subscription based model? I won't be signing up.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Just FYI,
Siri works wirelessly anyway by using the Voice command button on the steering wheel. No need to be wired... I use it to make calls without having the phone connected via CarPlay but I have never attempted other functionality. Will try that...
Wolfman I found your quote in an old thread from 2018.

I wonder how much you are/were able to do with Siri and iPhone and the Voice command button? How do you get to Siri? Press and hold? On my Buick I can get Apple navigation, Send email or text messages, Make calls. etc.

I am looking for used and certified S class 560s and 580s. I found a low mileage 2015 560 but it doesn't have Car Play. It does seem to have the rare CD changer in the front, or is that a DVD changer?