S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Bye-Bye V12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This is all about nothing. Loved our V12TT but the engine was a dinosaur a long time ago and the writing was on the wall for many years. When MB axed the 4matic for the W222 facelift it was time stamped.
MB invested in a few engine updates 5-7 years ago but that was to deal with some mandatory fixes. There isn't enough usage to justify making a modern V12 and jump emission hurdles for MB.
BMW's V12 only exist because of Rolls Royce and there wouldn't have been a G12 760 otherwise...
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The question is what will this do to Maybach?

M
Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
After seven years including extended warranty, the thought of repairs was scary so I sold my 07. S600.
Price dropped to 20% of its original price with only 60,000 miles.
I doubt that these will be a collectors item of increasing value ...
Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 AM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Exactly, there's something about the smoothness of a 12 that is just not the same as smaller engines, although, the new 4.0 in non-amg trim is quite smooth and has a similar starter sound, it can fool the unaware.
60º V12 is the smallest engine cylinder count that is perfectly balanced in first, second, and third order vibrations.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
for daily driving I don’t mind a hybrid or EV. For a weekend toy no thanks. Honestly even the quickest EV’s I have driven are overall boring and the 0-60 novilty wore off very fast. Unless someone gave me a Rimac or NIo that would be the only way to get me to have a EV as a toy. Other then that I need some sight and sound. You would not watch a action packed film on mute would you?

MB could offer an engine sound option on EVs if it wanted. The new Jaguar EV for example uses the audio system to make the car sound like a cross between a real car and a something out of science fiction:

...I believe that with the Jag,the driver can set volume only, but MB if it wanted could offer a menu of selectable choices, or different "soundtracks" for how the EV sounds...normal/pretty silent, various V8s, various V12s, etc. With the optional 3D sound system (e.g., a subwoofer), it might even sound pretty good. Knowing MB, they might even charge you for each "soundtrack".

Last edited by syswei; 10-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by syswei
MB could offer an engine sound option on EVs if it wanted. The new Jaguar EV for example uses the audio system to make the car sound like a cross between a real car and a something out of science fiction:

https://soundcloud.com/timstevens/ja...-dynamic-audio

...I believe that with the Jag,the driver can set volume only, but MB if it wanted could offer a menu of selectable choices, or different "soundtracks" for how the EV sounds...normal/pretty silent, various V8s, various V12s, etc. With the optional 3D sound system (e.g., a subwoofer), it might even sound pretty good. Knowing MB, they might even charge you for each "soundtrack".
I have to say that sounds awful. I was never a fan of this at all. Why go from having the real mccoy to a fake? It makes no sense to me. I would rather have the V12 or just get a all out EV. Why fake it? It is bad enough MB did fake exhaust tips.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
From what I have found they are keeping the V12 in the Maybach line but not for AMG's or any standard MB's G,SL,S
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
The referenced article includes this line, "But although a V-12 might not make sense for AMG, Maybach is expected to continue using the large engines." So, there's your answer
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
I have to say that sounds awful. I was never a fan of this at all. Why go from having the real mccoy to a fake? It makes no sense to me. I would rather have the V12 or just get a all out EV. Why fake it? It is bad enough MB did fake exhaust tips.
The SL450 already has a sound generator in the trunk floor that plays an exhaust tone on startup to make it sound more like a v8. Strictly for outside effect, not though the audio system, it's a separate speaker in a housing that exits under the rear of the car. Sadly this is enough for 99% of the people who buy these cars.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
The SL450 already has a sound generator in the trunk floor that plays an exhaust tone on startup to make it sound more like a v8. Strictly for outside effect, not though the audio system, it's a separate speaker in a housing that exits under the rear of the car. Sadly this is enough for 99% of the people who buy these cars.
Ya I was aware of that. It is beyond silly to me. Why trade the real for the fake? And the fake exhaust tips drive me mad! Not a big deal for my wifes ML350. But a 100k SL? or AMG! What next? I guess I should trade in my used older Rolex for a new fake style one too while we are at it.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ya I was aware of that. It is beyond silly to me. Why trade the real for the fake? And the fake exhaust tips drive me mad! Not a big deal for my wifes ML350. But a 100k SL? or AMG! What next? I guess I should trade in my used older Rolex for a new fake style one too while we are at it.
I understand and agree with your dislike of the sound generator but your argument for the exhaust tips makes little sense. Exhaust tips have become part of the exterior design aspect of a car and these days have little to do with the actual exhaust itself. Sign of the times; not a question of brand, the type or value of the car. People are bored with typical exhaust designs I assume as virtually every manufacturer does it.
Particularly sports, performance and hyper cars. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, McLaren; not one has actual exhaust tips either. So if a $3M car can have it, a lowly $100k SL should be OK as well
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I understand and agree with your dislike of the sound generator but your argument for the exhaust tips makes little sense. Exhaust tips have become part of the exterior design aspect of a car and these days have little to do with the actual exhaust itself. Sign of the times; not a question of brand, the type or value of the car. People are bored with typical exhaust designs I assume as virtually every manufacturer does it.
Particularly sports, performance and hyper cars. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, McLaren; not one has actual exhaust tips either. So if a $3M car can have it, a lowly $100k SL should be OK as well
wolfman with all due respect I think you are missing my point when I mention the exhaust tips. I was not just talking about MB but manufacturers in general like you said including the high end exotics. I was basically saying how I liked when the cars of old shown the exhaust. Example look at the old W211 E55 AMG. Then look at the new E AMG’s. All I was saying is that I wish they still had the aggressive look of the real exhaust as where today you have the pipe hidden away and fake tip encorporated into body/bumper.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

wolfman with all due respect I think you are missing my point when I mention the exhaust tips. I was not just talking about MB but manufacturers in general like you said including the high end exotics. I was basically saying how I liked when the cars of old shown the exhaust. Example look at the old W211 E55 AMG. Then look at the new E AMG’s. All I was saying is that I wish they still had the aggressive look of the real exhaust as where today you have the pipe hidden away and fake tip encorporated into body/bumper.

I suppose I didn’t get that from your earlier comments but in the end it’s just a matter of taste.
Remembering our old SL55, the tips were just decorative end pieces as they are today (oval chrome tips welded or screwed onto ugly metal pipes). Wether it’s attached or an inch away it’s the same to me.
At least the new ones stay a bit cleaner

That said, I am not a huge fan of the single black trapezoid exhaust bricks on our E63s. Quad tips look better...

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-12-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I'm working with a company right now that has this for the s550. You can even change the exhaust tone to a Maserati and others, change the bass, treble, volume, idle sound, startup sound etc. all from an App on your phone too. BMW does this with the I8 and many other cars, and it's kinda of a secret why some cars sound so good.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll try to get more info. Some of you may hate that idea, but I've heard multiple cars with these, and it sounds really really good, classy and sexy. Just something I thought I'd mention that many don't know about that exists.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I had my fake exhaust tips taken off and real ones put on it. I don't mind cleaning real tips.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by syswei

https://soundcloud.com/timstevens/ja...-dynamic-audio

Virtual sound, in plain English fake sound.
This is the direction we are going in, fake sound, fake cars (electric appliances), fake news, etc.
What is next?
Virtual sex?
Come to think of it, it's already here.....
The following users liked this post:
C280 Sport (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I wish I could trade my car to an S65 knowing this news. I LOVE 12 cylinder cars.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by absent
Virtual sound, in plain English fake sound.
This is the direction we are going in, fake sound, fake cars (electric appliances), fake news, etc.
What is next?
Virtual sex?
Come to think of it, it's already here.....
For at least the last 10 years, appliance manufactures have been putting speakers down where the motor bits go. These speakers emit the opposite sound to the motor and cancel out its noise.
It is a lot less expensive than using balanced motors or otherwise preventing the sound from being created in the first place.

Automobiles are experimenting with mufflers using the same principle.

Whereas I love the sound of a well balanced and tuned engine, my wife things automotive sounds would be below 50dBA.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
For at least the last 10 years, appliance manufactures have been putting speakers down where the motor bits go. These speakers emit the opposite sound to the motor and cancel out its noise.
It is a lot less expensive than using balanced motors or otherwise preventing the sound from being created in the first place.

Whereas I love the sound of a well balanced and tuned engine, my wife things automotive sounds would be below 50dBA.
Until we all have to drive EV's, creating the right sound on ICE engines is an art form. Just like a movie, the soundtrack is essential to the experience and emissions/fuel consumption requirements create new needs to tune the sound output. It's not that automotive engineers want to create these engines. The requirements push for small displacement, high output engines, so the are all boosted. If a speaker can assist to make something appear bigger/better, not great but not terrible either...
Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Until we all have to drive EV's, creating the right sound on ICE engines is an art form. Just like a movie, the soundtrack is essential to the experience and emissions/fuel consumption requirements create new needs to tune the sound output. It's not that automotive engineers want to create these engines. The requirements push for small displacement, high output engines, so the are all boosted. If a speaker can assist to make something appear bigger/better, not great but not terrible either...
Here is the company I'm a dealer for, on a GLE. The new unit has 5 separate exhaust tones, and you can set idle, start-up, etc, etc.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 s550, 85 iroc z28, 87 Buick Grand National
Originally Posted by Rockland

Get the BMW M760!
why? To touch low grade leather and plastic switches all day. S class crushes 7 series all day. No question
Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 s550, 85 iroc z28, 87 Buick Grand National
Doesnt matter what car or engine it is. No power adder on a v8 will ever ride or produce power as smooth and as quick as a v12. Amg v8 biturbos dont touch base 600 model v12s imo
Old 10-17-2018, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kevwalt22
Doesnt matter what car or engine it is. No power adder on a v8 will ever ride or produce power as smooth and as quick as a v12. Amg v8 biturbos dont touch base 600 model v12s imo
It's a smooth engine but that's about it. The cars are not as quick as the V8's and are paired to old-school 7-speed transmissions (not the same as the 7G-Tronic). Low volume equals less R&D which makes the whole package more outdated technically.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

why? To touch low grade leather and plastic switches all day. S class crushes 7 series all day. No question
I am not a huge fan of the BMW 7 series but the 760 is likely a better car than the S600 or the S65 in terms of engine/transmission/drivetrain. Newer engine (developed for Rolls Royce), better transmission and AWD. It depends of what people's priorities are...
Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90

The merino leather seems very nice to me. What plastic switches are you talking about. The switchgear is ceramic and metal? I like the 760.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bye-Bye V12