S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Mercedes S-Class vs Audi A8 vs BMW 7 Series review - which is the best? | carwow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Mercedes S-Class vs Audi A8 vs BMW 7 Series review - which is the best? | carwow

I'm curious what your folks thoughts are on this. I know this is a very biased forum, and there's nothing wrong with that since we all have our toys. Thoughts on the feedback from the reviewer?

Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
S Class or no class.
The following users liked this post:
DonS550 (10-15-2023)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm curious what your folks thoughts are on this. I know this is a very biased forum, and there's nothing wrong with that since we all have our toys. Thoughts on the feedback from the reviewer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBLVMsXPBQ
Why does this knucklehead say (near start of video) that S-Class does not come in AWD? Is he nuts?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Why does this knucklehead say (near start of video) that S-Class does not come in AWD? Is he nuts?
This is a car reviewer based out of the UK. Every geo is different.

Based on a quick perusal of: https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pass...lSalesType=GB6

It appears he is right.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by superpop
S Class or no class.
Based on?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Based on?
The overall package. Beauty, driving and its a Mercedes. Look this is more simple than you are making this out to be. If you are a real Mercedes person nothing else will do. Doesn't mean other cars don't do somethings better. Its not some kind of competition. Had an Audi A4 for 18 years. Had it that long because it was a fine car. Tracked it twice, my teenage some drove it and nary a complaint from the drivetrain over 220K miles. Stupid E Class transfer gearbox went belly up at 120k. The E class steering is kind of vague but when it all comes together nothing compares. Wouldn't blame anybody for selecting the A8 but when I look at it its meh.
DonS550 (10-15-2023)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The S Class is purpose built, the other two are just trying to catch up. This is the a luxury car segment, not a sports car segment. For all out luxury, the S class is the standard bearer. The Audi and the Beemer are both very nice and I would not hesitate to drive one but if you want a true luxury car with the lux ride and quietness than the S is it.
DonS550 (10-15-2023)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by superpop
The S Class is purpose built, the other two are just trying to catch up. This is the a luxury car segment, not a sports car segment. For all out luxury, the S class is the standard bearer. The Audi and the Beemer are both very nice and I would not hesitate to drive one but if you want a true luxury car with the lux ride and quietness than the S is it.
I'm going to challenge a few things here, as I am, literally, down to deciding whether or not I'm buying a 2019 S or a 2019 A8. I have not driven the A8 yet, but I have absolutely researched the heck out of it. Don't take my word for it, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...iscussion-221/ - you can quickly figure out who I am on that.

Since this is a MB board, I'm going to stick with objective statements which are hard to disagree with, and that way we can perhaps see if I can be convinced to go with MB (as that is a good outcome since I'm on a one way ticket towards the Audi right now).

1) The A8 does not have RFTs, nor does the A8 have staggered tires. The former does make an impact to ride quality, and I suspect that is why Mat Watson (The car reviewer in my OP) said the A8 rides better, and is perhaps slightly quieter. (oh, and on a non relevant note, the A8 has a spare!)
2) The A8's steering wheel actually is centered, as opposed to the S class, which seriously bothers me. It causes me to contort - and this problem is probably worse for me than many of you because I'm a skinny/not heavy guy.
3) The massage function on the Audi (if the performance of said function is the same as the outgoing A8 -reviewers have said it's gotten even better) is significantly better than the S class.

So I'm not sold the S class is more comfortable/quieter. Almost every single review has listed that the A8 rides better and is more comfortable than the S. I have not driven the A8 but will the day it lands here. Btw, I'm that guy who carries a decimeter to test drives.....and tries to do as scientific tests as possible to be as objective as possible (same speed, same day, same road tests)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I'd stay away from a first year model car. THe S class has already been refreshed and all the quirks worked out as best they can be. You will be getting a much more refined car where you don't have to play guinea pig.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm going to challenge a few things here, as I am, literally, down to deciding whether or not I'm buying a 2019 S or a 2019 A8. I have not driven the A8 yet, but I have absolutely researched the heck out of it. Don't take my word for it, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...iscussion-221/ - you can quickly figure out who I am on that.

Since this is a MB board, I'm going to stick with objective statements which are hard to disagree with, and that way we can perhaps see if I can be convinced to go with MB (as that is a good outcome since I'm on a one way ticket towards the Audi right now).

1) The A8 does not have RFTs, nor does the A8 have staggered tires. The former does make an impact to ride quality, and I suspect that is why Mat Watson (The car reviewer in my OP) said the A8 rides better, and is perhaps slightly quieter. (oh, and on a non relevant note, the A8 has a spare!)
2) The A8's steering wheel actually is centered, as opposed to the S class, which seriously bothers me. It causes me to contort - and this problem is probably worse for me than many of you because I'm a skinny/not heavy guy.
3) The massage function on the Audi (if the performance of said function is the same as the outgoing A8 -reviewers have said it's gotten even better) is significantly better than the S class.

So I'm not sold the S class is more comfortable/quieter. Almost every single review has listed that the A8 rides better and is more comfortable than the S. I have not driven the A8 but will the day it lands here. Btw, I'm that guy who carries a decimeter to test drives.....and tries to do as scientific tests as possible to be as objective as possible (same speed, same day, same road tests)
You are overthinking this decision, bordering on paralysis by analysis. Spare tires and massage differences are not big factors in the grand scheme of things. Go drive both cars and pick the one you like the most. Either would be a great choice.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
"Anything a Mercedes can do an Audi can do even worse." Yes, talking about fake exhaust tips, however... I've ridden in all (outgoing A8, not this new one) and if I picked one other than the S Class it would be the 7. There are too many gimmicks in the Audi for my taste. I've owned an Audi, liked the car but it was repurchased by them. I guess that soured me a bit. In any case I'm sure you'll be happy either way.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

Honestly and this is not a diss, if you are not in love with an S class you would be crazy to buy one. At this class of car it's all experiential not numbers.
bkdc (08-05-2019)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The audi looks like an outdated plasticky VW from the front. Wish they stayed true to the original more, and now they went Lexus like, and the why Lexus sales have dwindled. Just doesn't have the road presence. The Mercedes is the one you want to pull up in. I'd check out the new Lexus LS before the A8.

This is all making me very tired, tired enough to sleep in it though

Last edited by Jason B; 10-22-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
I have owned a G12 7er which was stolen, and which I loved. I am test driving the A8 which arrives tomorrow at my local dealer. I suppose I am in the minority but I have tried and have never connected emotionally with the S Class. So, it’s a personal choice.

This review last week strongly preferred the 7er over the A8 as the better driving vehicle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pmvw6F8aDo#

Last edited by Rockland; 10-22-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
The reviews for the 2019 A8 are pretty specific in that the electronics, for example driver assist, are antiquated and need a update to even match much less expensive cars.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Honestly and this is not a diss, if you are not in love with an S class you would be crazy to buy one. At this class of car it's all experiential not numbers.
Let me be as blunt as possible.

The W222 is a backup car. I view it as the more reliable car, and while one person upthread has stated that my views on the efficacy of the massaging seats are unimportant, I beg to differ because I'm spending my own money on my next car.

I do not connect emotionally at all with the W222. Don't get me wrong please, it's an amazing car. It's the more sensible choice. It'll be more reliable (I'm sure).

But that said I'll heed the advice of so many of you upthread. Take the D5 for a drive, and if I love it, buy it, and move on. Fingers crossed, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one here who isn't emotionally connecting with the W222.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I am a bit puzzled by your comments. Of course you should drive both cars and then pick the one you enjoy more! Just don't use phrases like "scientific" or "objective" because whatever your reasoning and findings are will be just subjective, nothing more. After all, some of your base criteria only seems relevant to you and compared on your personal judgement (like the massage).

FWIW, I think Audi really stepped up its game on the A8 but they haven't improved the looks of the car. In its non-S version, the car is still boredom on wheels. I saw quite a few on my last trip in Germany and could not get exited. Btw, the car had good reviews in Germany but also its fair amount of complaints with it new touch-surfaces. Keep in mind that the lighting tech will likely be dumbed down for the US...
Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
All I had to do was sit in and look at each car at the dealership. It wasn't even close. The Audi simply didn't look like it would be a car for me... that was out. The BMW is my heart, I've owned 8 of them, but the hockey puck design flaw on the side of it turned me totally off, for years. That was out too. The interior also wasn't even in the same league as the new S63, to me at least. The seats especially. Then I saw the S63 in the showroom. My heart beat faster, I may have salivated a bit, I thought to myself... yes, this is the one for me. It's my third one in a row. I couldn't imagine not owning this car . My first view of my car in a dark, dirty warehouse of cars at my MB dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by stever500:
declo2000 (08-06-2019), superangrypenguin (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
I think I would pick the W222 albeit Audi A8's interior is fantastic and render both its rivals look so dull to me . Audi A8's grill is not getting any fancy of me either so I don't fancy such a big whale mouth like grill. BMW's headlamps are very rude and crude as well .
superangrypenguin (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
“The W222 is a backup car. I view it as the more reliable car, and while one person upthread has stated that my views on the efficacy of the massaging seats are unimportant, I beg to differ because I'm spending my own money on my next car.”

If you want reliability you might want to look at Honda or Toyota...
Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
“The W222 is a backup car. I view it as the more reliable car, and while one person upthread has stated that my views on the efficacy of the massaging seats are unimportant, I beg to differ because I'm spending my own money on my next car.”

If you want reliability you might want to look at Honda or Toyota...
It's a given that I'd buy the 7 year ELW directly from Mercedes. On a balance of things, the W222 is a mid cycle refresh with the old M276 (albeit DELA 30) motor. It's a tried and tested motor so it will be orders more reliable, but if not, I have a 7 year ELW to rely on directly through MB, versus Audi does not back their own ELW.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a given that I'd buy the 7 year ELW directly from Mercedes. On a balance of things, the W222 is a mid cycle refresh with the old M276 (albeit DELA 30) motor. It's a tried and tested motor so it will be orders more reliable, but if not, I have a 7 year ELW to rely on directly through MB, versus Audi does not back their own ELW.
what the heck is ELW?

ELW?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Jason B

what the heck is ELW?

ELW?
https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...ient=firefox-b
Old 10-23-2018, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Out of curiosity, does this steering wheel not being centered not drive some of you insane?

https://tdrvehicles.azureedge.net/photos/import/201810/1403/0049/0fb394ae-7992-4344-b959-263dd2301213.jpg?w=800&h=600
Old 10-23-2018, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
It's just not something I notice while driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes S-Class vs Audi A8 vs BMW 7 Series review - which is the best? | carwow