S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Something better and the Maybach ain’t it!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,388 Likes on 1,932 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Something better and the Maybach ain’t it!

I really like the way my 2018 S560 drives, but I sure would like something better. This got me thinking about how there really is nothing better, unless one would make the big leap to a Rolls-Royce and even then, I don’t know how much better that might be, just way more exclusive and way more expensive. The Maybach is pretty much nothing more than a stretched S Class, and I really don’t need more rear seat room, the S560 is just fine in that department. So, one might suggest Bentley, but honestly, I would love the color choices, but I don’t think the cars themselves compare favorably with the W222 overall. I realize that I am circling back around to something I probably posted a year or two ago, but my current S560 leaves me wanting MORE!

I really think that M.B. is missing the boat by not having a luxury sedan that is above the S Class. A super luxury sedan that starts at maybe $200K to $250K. It would drive like my S560, but smoother and quieter. It would probably be electric or a hybrid, but it would feel like a big, very mildly tuned V12, offering mounds of velvety torque, with absolutely zero drama. The trunk would be cavernous, with a full size, matching spare under the trunk floor. There would be every stand alone option under the sun. Pano Roof, or just a moon roof or a solid metal sunroof or a plain roof with no opening at all. The number of exterior color choices would put Bentley to shame and there would also be the “color to sample” option ala Porsche. The same would go for the interior leathers. In short, the car would be delivered to the customer exactly the way THEY want it, bound only by governmental regulations and not by bean counters in the M.B. marketing department. The car would NOT look like the corresponding current year S Class, but would have styling unique to itself, while clearly reminding all onlookers that it is indeed a very special Merceces-Benz.

I know I’ll sound like a spoiled child, but I would really like another new car and I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing out there that I really want. I had given thought to a Rolls-Royce Dawn, but RR cars are just too ostentatious and I really don’t feel they are worth the price. So, I’ve got my S560, which I really do like, but I am willing to give M.B. a lot more of my hard earned money, but they don’t have anything better to sell me. Oh well.

Last edited by Streamliner; 10-25-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Why is the Maybach a vehicle you are not considering? It's much more than just more seat legroom. The Maybach is quieter, and has more sound insulation than even an S class, by quite a mile. wheelbase is also even longer.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have driven a new S600 Maybach and honestly, other than the fact that with its 20” wheels, it did not ride nearly as nice as my car, and it had noticeable road noise. It has gigantic rear seat leg room, which means nothing to me, but that’s it. The trunk is the same, spacially challenged trunk that I have, with no room for a spare and the options, exterior & interior colors are nothing different than a regular W222. To me, the Maybach is a huge disappointment. I also feel that as a personal car, it looks ridiculous. A car of that size should have a chauffeur and the owner should be riding in back.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I have driven a new S600 Maybach and honestly, other than the fact that with its 20” wheels, it did not ride nearly as nice as my car, and it had noticeable road noise. It has gigantic rear seat leg room, which means nothing to me, but that’s it. The trunk is the same, spacially challenged trunk that I have, with no room for a spare and the options, exterior & interior colors are nothing different than a regular W222. To me, the Maybach is a huge disappointment. I also feel that as a personal car, it looks ridiculous. A car of that size should have a chauffeur and the owner should be riding in back.
I find that very interesting actually. In the Car and Driver instrumented test, it would appear that based on their scientific testing, the Maybach S was marginally quieter than the regular S.

Thanks for your opinion! Learned something new today.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The S550 or 560 they tested didn’t have 18” wheels with Bridgestone Serenity Plus conventional tires, like mine.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
If you can afford the Dawn, get it now. Life’s too short. The Wraith is my dream car.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Your current car, a Porsche Pan, an Audi A8, or a BMW 7 are the best cars out there you can get without stepping into the realm of being chauffeured. The BMW 7 is the worst depreciating of the cars I mentioned so I'd scratch that one off (even though I love the crap out of them), the Audi A8 is nice but the exterior styling is questionable, ,the Porsche Pan is great but the ride I'm not sure about. That being said, I think the S classes are your best personal driver type car without getting too much attention. I couldn't drive a Rolls or Bentley for my everyday driver. Too many miles and just too extravagant for my everyday life. Would I like to have one, YES!, but I'm not a millionaire.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
I really like the way my 2018 S560 drives, but I sure would like something better. This got me thinking about how there really is nothing better, unless one would make the big leap to a Rolls-Royce and even then, I don’t know how much better that might be, just way more exclusive and way more expensive. The Maybach is pretty much nothing more than a stretched S Class, and I really don’t need more rear seat room, the S560 is just fine in that department. So, one might suggest Bentley, but honestly, I would love the color choices, but I don’t think the cars themselves compare favorably with the W222 overall. I realize that I am circling back around to something I probably posted a year or two ago, but my current S560 leaves me wanting MORE!

I really think that M.B. is missing the boat by not having a luxury sedan that is above the S Class. A super luxury sedan that starts at maybe $200K to $250K. It would drive like my S560, but smoother and quieter. It would probably be electric or a hybrid, but it would feel like a big, very mildly tuned V12, offering mounds of velvety torque, with absolutely zero drama. The trunk would be cavernous, with a full size, matching spare under the trunk floor. There would be every stand alone option under the sun. Pano Roof, or just a moon roof or a solid metal sunroof or a plain roof with no opening at all. The number of exterior color choices would put Bentley to shame and there would also be the “color to sample” option ala Porsche. The same would go for the interior leathers. In short, the car would be delivered to the customer exactly the way THEY want it, bound only by governmental regulations and not by bean counters in the M.B. marketing department. The car would NOT look like the corresponding current year S Class, but would have styling unique to itself, while clearly reminding all onlookers that it is indeed a very special Merceces-Benz.

I know I’ll sound like a spoiled child, but I would really like another new car and I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing out there that I really want. I had given thought to a Rolls-Royce Dawn, but RR cars are just too ostentatious and I really don’t feel they are worth the price. So, I’ve got my S560, which I really do like, but I am willing to give M.B. a lot more of my hard earned money, but they don’t have anything better to sell me. Oh well.

A good deal of what you are looking for is found in the <defunct> S-600
Much smoother and quieter than the V8.
Just add "paint to sample" and "leather to sample" options and you are basically there.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by teksurv
If you can afford the Dawn, get it now. Life’s too short. The Wraith is my dream car.
A new Dawn is almost a half million. It's just not worth it to me.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
Certainly, I can appreciate that. I have read many of your posts in regards to what you'd like to have in a car, and it seems that RR offers you much of what you seek. I also get that your S560 offers you a good portion of what you like at a fraction of the price. As a 500k Dawn may seem to not be a good value to you, someone purchasing a nice new Accord might not see the value in the S class. It's all relative, no wrong answers.

A new Dawn is almost a half million. It's just not worth it to me.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by teksurv
Certainly, I can appreciate that. I have read many of your posts in regards to what you'd like to have in a car, and it seems that RR offers you much of what you seek. I also get that your S560 offers you a good portion of what you like at a fraction of the price. As a 500k Dawn may seem to not be a good value to you, someone purchasing a nice new Accord might not see the value in the S class. It's all relative, no wrong answers.
Well, I agree with you to a point. I truly believe that the current S Class is a good value. What I want, is something reasonably better, but still a good value. It is my feeling that RR pads their prices substantially, just to keep the marque exclusive. In 1987, I had a new MB 560SEC and, at the same time, I had a new Rolls-Royce Corniche Convertible. The RR was about half again as expensive as the MB, but I felt that was in line. A new Dawn is today over three times the price of a new S Class Coupe. They have increased the price beyond the level of being something anywhere reasonable, at least to me. If the Dawn was maybe $275K to $300K, I could see that. Half a mil? Can't do it.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
It just isn't a realistic expectation. To change trunk volume they would have to totally redesign the car. And then you would have to restyle it to differentiate it from an S class. They tried that with the last gen Maybach and it didn't well well enough. You say you'd spend more and that's justification for MB to do it. But MB would lose money doing it so why bother? For 99.5% of S class buyers this is the best car out there. They aren't going to spend hundreds of millions to design a car that few will buy. The issues you have are not worth major vehicle redesigns. The pana roof it like sunroofs in the beginning. In the beginning they were optional then they became standard. A few people were pissed because it shortened headroom and added weight up high. Those complaints died out. Then pana roofs came around. First they were optional and now standard. A couple have complained but eventually those complaints will disappear. I agree on the spare- hate RFT's but it is what it is.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
Makes sense to me. I'll have to educate myself on RR, I wonder what pricing has done since BMW took over.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Well, I agree with you to a point. I truly believe that the current S Class is a good value. What I want, is something reasonably better, but still a good value. It is my feeling that RR pads their prices substantially, just to keep the marque exclusive. In 1987, I had a new MB 560SEC and, at the same time, I had a new Rolls-Royce Corniche Convertible. The RR was about half again as expensive as the MB, but I felt that was in line. A new Dawn is today over three times the price of a new S Class Coupe. They have increased the price beyond the level of being something anywhere reasonable, at least to me. If the Dawn was maybe $275K to $300K, I could see that. Half a mil? Can't do it.
Not my business, but perhaps get a 911 gts as a second car.
total change of course, but then it will make you appreciate the S that much more and will likely satisfy that need for more in a car. Fun to switch back and forth. I've been doing that for about 15 years...
hyperion667 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
Audi's present Der Neuer A8 is offering the best interior , Rolls Royce is unerringly offering the best craftmanship but interior wise from door panels to the design of the buttons Audi is nicer car , Rolls Royce is too simple considering its price tag .I want sophisticated things not something that is boasted about how many man hours and labors have been spent in the makings of things such as of milky way headliners , grills ,leather upholstery and so on
superangrypenguin (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Yesterday, I picked up my wife's new 2019 S560. After driving a Mercedes myself for over 30 years, last year I took the adventure to a Tesla P100D. While driving this car has been a blast, I was never impressed, in least bit, with their build quality. I had forgotten just how great they are making the S560's. It was such a pleasure to get back into this car. My Tesla was a $150,000 plus car, and my wife's S560 was approaching $130,000. If you ask me, the S560 is a bargain. The price is so reasonable for the build quality and luxury this car provides.

My lease is up in September of next year. It will be interesting to see where my choices take me.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carsnob

Not my business, but perhaps get a 911 gts as a second car.
total change of course, but then it will make you appreciate the S that much more and will likely satisfy that need for more in a car. Fun to switch back and forth. I've been doing that for about 15 years...
Your overall idea is a good one. For most of the last 45+ years, I have owned both a comfortable sedan and a more sporty car. Lots of 911’s in the mix, lots of SL’s. With my recently departed 2013 SL550, I would love driving it around with the top down, but when I put it in the garage and then took my S560 out, the difference was dramatic. Drive a U-Haul truck around for a few days and get in a W222 and you will think that you surely died and went to Heaven!

But, that’s not what I’m talking about here: If VW can do Bentley and BMW can do Rolls-Royce, then surely MB can do something better than simply stretching a W222 a few inches and slapping a Maybach emblem on it. I want the MB things I love, but just taken to the next level. I know it’s not an easy thing to do, so that’s WHY MB should do it. Call it a shorter wheelbase/Maybach Personal Ultra Luxury Sedan. An S600, but way more special than, well.....an S600.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The old Maybach was like that, full custom, looked different than an S class, 400-500k. Sales weren't worth the cost to keep them separate.

There's a Maybach 62s Landaulet in the shop right now that belongs to DJ Khaled, it's a really awesome car, but the tech underneath is so old to keep cost down, it's a 2009 model with undercarriage from the late 90s. MB doesn't want to make that sort of compromise on the new cars, and it's not financially logical to redesign a whole car just to sell a couple hundred of them, even at 200k profit each.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The old Maybach was like that, full custom, looked different than an S class, 400-500k. Sales weren't worth the cost to keep them separate.

There's a Maybach 62s Landaulet in the shop right now that belongs to DJ Khaled, it's a really awesome car, but the tech underneath is so old to keep cost down, it's a 2009 model with undercarriage from the late 90s. MB doesn't want to make that sort of compromise on the new cars, and it's not financially logical to redesign a whole car just to sell a couple hundred of them, even at 200k profit each.
That is so cool! Got a pic? Is the old Maybach based on a W140? A gentlemen here in FL who owned one and I got to drive it told it was. His was about $500,000 new.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
My prediction is that Streamliner will be an early customer of the MB EQ S.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
You can pick up a new Dawn in low $300k, they are heavily discounted and plenty in inventory so you can find one that you like easily.
Btw, rode in the new 2019 Phantom, there simply is nothing else in existence coming even close to the absolute comfort and feel of ultimate luxury of that car.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Perhaps you've had it too good for too long.......go and try to configure a Honda; try to pick the trim and the interior color
Old 10-29-2018, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
That is so cool! Got a pic? Is the old Maybach based on a W140? A gentlemen here in FL who owned one and I got to drive it told it was. His was about $500,000 new.
No, but I will get one if it's still there monday.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahU KEwiq2aXx4qreAhXRmVkKHV-HATkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fusionmotor co.com%2Fvehicles%2F375%2F2009-maybach-62s-landaulet&psig=AOvVaw3Bf_XB_e0sQMpfYCxtQLPr&ust=15 40872322101083

Looks like this though. All white in the back, front interior is all black. Like a really fancy w220 front cabin, rear looks custom. I believe they were around $500k new, yes.

The car is a mix of 220/140 parts, yes. The suspension looks like W140 but it has ABC and SBC and other things that came later, most of the switchgear and trims are similar to 220 parts.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...40872322101083

Looks like this though. All white in the back, front interior is all black. Like a really fancy w220 front cabin, rear looks custom. I believe they were around $500k new, yes.

The car is a mix of 220/140 parts, yes. The suspension looks like W140 but it has ABC and SBC and other things that came later, most of the switchgear and trims are similar to 220 parts.
We had a brand-new Maybach 57 on loan from MB for a week back in 2003 and it was an outstanding driving experience. This thing was just very well put together but it was a financial failure. That car simply didn't look good enough and was too understated even though it was more luxurious and better in many ways than the Phantom.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...40872322101083

So I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 57s with only 27,000km. One owner, no accidents. Asking $84K, which is a bargain.

That said the main reason I've stayed away from it is that my parts wholesaler has stated that the parts for the Maybach are beyond comprehension, from a price standpoint. He cited off a few items (like the water pump). Because of the Maybach's goal to be as quiet as possible, and because of the lack of volume, Maybach parts prices are just stupid.

Based on your post it appears there are some interchangeable items with a good ol' S. Any idea how common the commonalities are?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something better and the Maybach ain’t it!