Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Burmester 3D vs Burmester 3D

No, the thread title is not a mistake!

When the W222 first launched, (pre FL), the Burmester 3D stereo option had 24 speakers. In the FL version, that number grew to 26 speakers. The main difference is that before there was one overhead speaker (behind the front seats), and after the FL came along, there is now 2 added roof speakers making a total of 3 overhead speakers behind the front seats. I know, that in this 26 speaker version now that there's a dedicated 400W amp that powers these 3 speakers. I don't know if this was the case in the pre FL one.

Anyways, all this to say - has anyone had the opportunity to listen to both systems, and if so, is there a noticeable difference? Bonus points if you are a self professed audiophile. I really want to hear an expert's opinion on this as I am a massive audiophile.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I Bluetooth everything through my hearing aids when I am driving so I could care less how many speakers are in the car. Unfortunately $6400.00. Sound quality for me is superior to external speakers and my phone conversations are routed through the hearing aids also. Born this way and have no other choice.
Works wonderfully in a convertable also. No wind noise...

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 10-26-2018 at 10:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
Gene Gorman (04-02-2023), Nico9182349 (04-03-2023), superangrypenguin (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
C’mon man, no one is going to test these side by side. Just assume the FL version is the equal or very slightly better than the pre-FL version. Burmeister isn’t going to produce an updated system that is decidedly worse. And no one is going to make the decision as to whether to buy the FL car or the pre-FL car on the 2 Burmeister 3D systems.

Do you ask a zillion questions for every decision you have in life! Please do not ever call me for insurance lol
Old 10-27-2018, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Rockland
C’mon man, no one is going to test these side by side. Just assume the FL version is the equal or very slightly better than the pre-FL version. Burmeister isn’t going to produce an updated system that is decidedly worse. And no one is going to make the decision as to whether to buy the FL car or the pre-FL car on the 2 Burmeister 3D systems.

Do you ask a zillion questions for every decision you have in life! Please do not ever call me for insurance lol
Just going to make some general statements here.

1) It didn't add up to me. Based on your logic, a 400w amp then was mated to one overhead speaker. Adding two additional speakers without reworking the amp seems odd, no?
2) Two speakers directly behind one's ears should be better than 1, sure.
3) I've already scoured the internet to see that, indeed, you are right, no one has written about the differences, and thus the last place to ask is on here, where people own these cars.
4) Perhaps not, but one key decision criteria is whether or not the 23 speaker system (B&O) Advanced 3D sound system on the D5 will be better than the S class. One data point I already have is how the 24 speaker Burmester system sounds on the pre FL W222, so wondering if people here have had experience with both systems.
5) Not a lot of 30 year old's buy flagship cars. I didn't get here by being an average ho-hum, so yes, pardon me on asking a thousand questions. It's not every day I drop 6 figures on a car.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:51 AM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Just going to make some general statements here.

1) It didn't add up to me. Based on your logic, a 400w amp then was mated to one overhead speaker. Adding two additional speakers without reworking the amp seems odd, no?
2) Two speakers directly behind one's ears should be better than 1, sure.
3) I've already scoured the internet to see that, indeed, you are right, no one has written about the differences, and thus the last place to ask is on here, where people own these cars.
4) Perhaps not, but one key decision criteria is whether or not the 23 speaker system (B&O) Advanced 3D sound system on the D5 will be better than the S class. One data point I already have is how the 24 speaker Burmester system sounds on the pre FL W222, so wondering if people here have had experience with both systems.
5) Not a lot of 30 year old's buy flagship cars. I didn't get here by being an average ho-hum, so yes, pardon me on asking a thousand questions. It's not every day I drop 6 figures on a car.
yes, but do you also ask a thousand questions when you buy a mutual fund? A health insurance policy? A disability insurance policy? A loaf of bread.

I pray to god you are an engineer otherwise I do not know what your disease is

Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car

yes, but do you also ask a thousand questions when you buy a mutual fund? A health insurance policy? A disability insurance policy? A loaf of bread.

I pray to god you are an engineer otherwise I do not know what your disease is

Yes. I'm not only an engineer by trade but also a member of the Canadian Bar Association (no, not a practicing lawyer). I live in the details. So yes, to all of your questions minus the loaf of bread. What you call a disease, i'll flip on the head and call others who don't ask questions of their mutual fund/health insurance policy etc as ignorant.
The following users liked this post:
brl12 (04-12-2023)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes. I'm not only an engineer by trade but also a member of the Canadian Bar Association (no, not a practicing lawyer). I live in the details. So yes, to all of your questions minus the loaf of bread. What you call a disease, i'll flip on the head and call others who don't ask questions of their mutual fund/health insurance policy etc as ignorant.
Uniformed or not doing their due diligence perhaps, but ignorant is pretty harsh and judgemental.

As for you spending so much much time on these forums asking so many questions, one has to wonder about you. Do you have other hobbies, a wife, children, a dog to walk? It does appear you spend a great deal of time asking many questions.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

Uniformed or not doing their due diligence perhaps, but ignorant is pretty harsh and judgemental.

As for you spending so much much time on these forums asking so many questions, one has to wonder about you. Do you have other hobbies, a wife, children, a dog to walk? It does appear you spend a great deal of time asking many questions.
I have to wonder why people comment if they have nothing to add to this topic? Like watching a TV, if something doesn't interest you, maybe just move on? No need to attack the poster (me) for a valid question re: W222.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
My god, here we go again.............

Leave the man alone for Odin's sake! He likes to post and ask questions!! WTF is the big deal here? LOL

The following 3 users liked this post by hyperion667:
brl12 (04-12-2023), danmiles68 (04-03-2023), superangrypenguin (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Thumbs up

You sell insurance? I'll bet you're fun at parties

Also, just wondering what you're doing here? I see no Mercedes Benz cars on you user profile......did you used to have one? Plan on getting one? Just like the marque?
It's funny how you request the OP never call you for insurance...........did you have to put that part in there about how you sell insurance? What was the point of revealing that you're an
insurance salesman? Were you hoping to gain favor among other members by sharing this? Maybe try to flex your big bad insurance muscles?
I personally do not think it's all that impressive to sell insurance........but that's just me.

superangrypenguin (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 05:18 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by hyperion667
You sell insurance? I'll bet you're fun at parties

Also, just wondering what you're doing here? I see no Mercedes Benz cars on you user profile......did you used to have one? Plan on getting one? Just like the marque?
It's funny how you request the OP never call you for insurance...........did you have to put that part in there about how you sell insurance? What was the point of revealing that you're an
insurance salesman? Were you hoping to gain favor among other members by sharing this? Maybe try to flex your big bad insurance muscles?
I personally do not think it's all that impressive to sell insurance........but that's just me.
I stopped going to parties 25 years ago.

Might buy my 16 year old son a Mercedes. I considered an S63. I ordered a 760 which arrives in 4 weeks. You are correct. I agree it is not impressive to sell insurance. Anyone can get an insurance license. I have a law degree too. Probably not that impressive to be an attorney, either. Whatever. There was zero point in revealing anything.

Last edited by Rockland; 10-27-2018 at 05:26 PM.
hyperion667 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 06:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63

I stopped going to parties 25 years ago.

Might buy my 16 year old son a Mercedes. I considered an S63. I ordered a 760 which arrives in 4 weeks. You are correct. I agree it is not impressive to sell insurance. Anyone can get an insurance license. I have a law degree too. Probably not that impressive to be an attorney, either. Whatever. There was zero point in revealing anything.
Yes, well I hear you. I'm sure your son will be very grateful I guess depending on the type of law degree you hold; could be boring as well. But good luck all the same!
Old 04-02-2023, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 546 Likes on 356 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Reading this 5 years later trying to find the pre-FL vs FL changes on the Burmester 3D, or at least the true rating of Burmester 3D on the facelift : ) . Still no answer. Even the brochure is being vague about it.

Well, anyway one thing I know, the Burmester 3D in the S560 is an extraordinary sound system compared to my B&W Surround 3D in my BMW! Huge difference.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W222 S560 4matic 2018 and C140 CL 500 1998
In a former life I was an audio engineer and all I want to say is, most people can barely tell the you if they are listening to a 50$ boombox or a 20000$ system in a blind test as long as the loudness is the same. Even highly qualified persons will find it difficult.
Quenthel (04-03-2023)