Difference between C and E modes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 203 Posts
2022 EQS580
Difference between C and E modes?

I'm curious why it is that when I start the engine on the 2019 S450, it always has the C (Comfort) driving mode even though I change it to E (Economy driving mode). This is obviously not a big deal, but I like to have it on E for fuel savings since I want the car to go as many miles as possible between refills (not for saving money). Is there any difference on fuel savings between the C and the E modes? As far as comfort is concerned, I don't notice any difference at all in the two modes.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 433 Posts
W212 FL
In E Mode the car should optimize the fuel efficiency as much as it can such as lowering A/C Fan Speed, softening the gas throttle inputs , changing the gears at lower RPMs and switching to sail mode or coasting by just switching in N even when the tranny is in D .Oppps How could I forget ? Turning on the *** (Auto Start Stop ) However, in Comfort none of things should happen aside from turning off the ***
Old 10-31-2018, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by BenzV12
In E Mode the car should optimize the fuel efficiency as much as it can such as lowering A/C Fan Speed, softening the gas throttle inputs , changing the gears at lower RPMs and switching to sail mode or coasting by just switching in N even when the tranny is in D .Oppps How could I forget ? Turning on the *** (Auto Start Stop ) However, in Comfort none of things should happen aside from turning off the ***
Thanks a lot for that info. I have one more question: Why does it always default to C mode when I start the car even though I had left it in E mode?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 S550
Because Mercedes knows what you want more than you do.. It irritates me too. I can't even have the volume on the radio where I want it in my wife's car. If I turn the volume all the way down to 0 when I get back in it's on some minimum setting that I can still hear. At least the display in the instrument cluster stays put now. in my w221 it defaulted to the same thing every time.

Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Thanks a lot for that info. I have one more question: Why does it always default to C mode when I start the car even though I had left it in E mode?
Old 10-31-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 313 Likes on 204 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by obwielnls
Because Mercedes knows what you want more than you do.. It irritates me too. I can't even have the volume on the radio where I want it in my wife's car. If I turn the volume all the way down to 0 when I get back in it's on some minimum setting that I can still hear. At least the display in the instrument cluster stays put now. in my w221 it defaulted to the same thing every time.
Mute not volume=zero
Mute is retained over engine stop and start.
Volume = zero is reset because the volume control controls lots of volumes {radio, navigation, emergency,...} and at startup yu might no be able to cause the right circumstance to transpire so the volume control can control the volume of the desired device.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
There is no difference in comfort between the C and the E modes, right?