S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Extended Advice for a New Owner of a fully loaded 2015 S550 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 EQS 580 Pinnacle Trim. 2015 S550 4Matic - OE tuning, 2014 E350, 2014 GLK, Sold: Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Kushp14
That is a pretty risky purchase without physically seeing it and factory warranty. Any small and unnoticeable issues are $$$, especially with your options...Check out Ally Major guard, you will not be disappointed.
thank you so much for the info yesterday. Greatly appreciated
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM

2023 EQS 580 Pinnacle Trim. 2015 S550 4Matic - OE tuning, 2014 E350, 2014 GLK, Sold: Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Katie22
Warranties are almost always a way for someone else to make money off of another person based on fear of whatever. Now if were talking about cars statistics show that nearly EVERY new car sold today is likely to be reliable and offer good utility.

I would love to see someone show me stats on the likely failure rate of an S Class and thereafter weight any percentage against the 1000s of dollars they are going to pay for that warranty.............

My own feelings are if you cant afford to fix it you prolly should not have brought it.

Katie
while I partly agree with your first paragraph about people making money off our fear. This is American capitalist economy and the game we all play.

However, I do not agree with your comment about if you can’t afford repairs you shouldn’t buy the car. There are folks like myself that like used cars or CPO cars for half the sticker price of the initial MRSP and spend maybe 5 to 10k grand to protect it under a reputable 3rd party warranty. I call that smart. Statistical analysis is not sufficient enough to make dumb decisions! Because probability can be skewed and the odd might be against you. Simple law of natural selection! A lot of 2019 S class owners complaining that their car broke within one week. Isn’t that weird to you?

I am not a doctor or an Ivy League mba grad but you assumed wrongly about my financial prowess and I can buy a new 2019 S class with either a low interest rates and pay it off within one year if I choose too. I guess you don’t understand financial economics at all for ordinary folks who are walking up the ladder of this American dream on their own. Sleep good at night and enjoy simple things like a luxury car.

I wasn’t looking for a cheap warranty and the thread post was all about looking for a company that is at least reliable to pay for repairs based forum members experience.

But again, there is no fun in making financial decisions paying full price for a high depreciation item like cars IMHO if I cannot claim it as business tax. This is the 1st lesson in America capitalist economy. I work from home and doing IT consulting and the car is just a toy that I wanted. Guess what ? it is gonna seat in the garage because we only drive to church twice a week.

Some folks have good reasons to lease or buy new and I respect them. I don’t have that luxury even though I can afford it. I like to own and my only method of owning is buying them used and getting advice on good warranties. Simple facts of life! I don’t criticize them because without them there won’t be cpo or used cars for humble folks like me! Don’t be deceived by your credit score! Everyone got it too. Lol. It is just a car mate! I’m doing pretty well parking it and driving for fun when I can with the added peace of mind. Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited by ephico2real; 11-06-2018 at 09:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 520 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
And you ignore all professional resources that say paying for a warranty is not advised in almost any possible way. Add to it that as mentioned before many of these warranties are a scam with lots of exclusions. You said most s class owners have issues in first week of ownership and if that is true then the car is under the factory warranty.

If for no other reason virtually NO CARS in the first 100000 miles are going to have any significant repair issues..... If there is a repair it likely will cost far less then the price of the warranty. I know you mentioned capitalism and I would suggest to you that the companies that offer these warranties know exactly what I am saying and thats why they offer this stuff. They did their statistical and factual homework and know they are going to come out ahead.

Could something happen to your car? Sure but then also some magic sky daddy might come down with hell fire tomorrow and destroy the world and your warranty wont help you there. I seriously doubt that that might happen but the people that sell homeowners insurance might suggest that it could................

Look Im trying to save you money. If your worried about your car then put some money aside for this possible repair and pass on the extended warranty........ I got 55,000 miles on the 16 Maybach and its been really good. Couple minor warranty issues but certainly not 8000 dollars worth.......My 06 Ford E series van with 165000 miles has had some maintenance repairs but not anything a warranty would cover and certainly not 8000 worth. MY 18 GTC has had a couple minor warranty issues and now is going well with 10,000 miles and no expectation of any return visits to the dealer.

Last edited by Katie22; 11-06-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
And you ignore all professional resources that say paying for a warranty is not advised in almost any possible way. Add to it that as mentioned before many of these warranties are a scam with lots of exclusions. You said most s class owners have issues in first week of ownership and if that is true then the car is under the factory warranty.

If for no other reason virtually NO CARS in the first 100000 miles are going to have any significant repair issues..... If there is a repair it likely will cost far less then the price of the warranty. I know you mentioned capitalism and I would suggest to you that the companies that offer these warranties know exactly what I am saying and thats why they offer this stuff. They did their statistical and factual homework and know they are going to come out ahead.

Could something happen to your car? Sure but then also some magic sky daddy might come down with hell fire tomorrow and destroy the world and your warranty wont help you there. I seriously doubt that that might happen but the people that sell homeowners insurance might suggest that it could................

Look Im trying to save you money. If your worried about your car then put some money aside for this possible repair and pass on the extended warranty........ I got 55,000 miles on the 16 Maybach and its been really good. Couple minor warranty issues but certainly not 8000 dollars worth.......My 06 Ford E series van with 165000 miles has had some maintenance repairs but not anything a warranty would cover and certainly not 8000 worth. MY 18 GTC has had a couple minor warranty issues and now is going well with 10,000 miles and no expectation of any return visits to the dealer.
Saying that a repair will not exceed the price of a warranty is crazy, especially with these cars. You dislike warranties, but others will want to protect their investment- which many people with a W222 do. It comes down to your own car, age, miles and cost of warranty. Its gamble, but the higher the mileage the more sense it makes.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 11-06-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:03 PM

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Like I said anyone buying one if these warranties is ignoring all professional advice that say virtually all extended warranties are NOT ADVISED. They are also ignoring the countless other suckers that did buy one of these and found out that the claim they had was denied because of fine print they didnt see............

I understand that some people feel a need for this stuff and I suppose they make great costumers for the warranty companies..........

For further research if someone disagrees with my opinion here you go.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...anty/index.htm
http://clark.com/cars/beware-buying-...ns-older-vehi/
http://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life/...ties-worth-it/

There is a start but one car go on and on with real facts. Of course you have to kind of turn off the piece of mind thing if your going to go after the facts.............

Last edited by Katie22; 11-06-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Like I said anyone buying one if these warranties is ignoring all professional advice that say virtually all extended warranties are NOT ADVISED. They are also ignoring the countless other suckers that did buy one of these and found out that the claim they had was denied because of fine print they didnt see............

I understand that some people feel a need for this stuff and I suppose they make great costumers for the warranty companies..........
A lot of people on the mbforum here has had success with some reputable ones albeit with mix reactions. Anyway this is Hot lot! Have you read Dave warranty thread?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Warranties are almost always a way for someone else to make money off of another person based on fear of whatever. Now if were talking about cars statistics show that nearly EVERY new car sold today is likely to be reliable and offer good utility.

I would love to see someone show me stats on the likely failure rate of an S Class and thereafter weight any percentage against the 1000s of dollars they are going to pay for that warranty.............

My own feelings are if you cant afford to fix it you prolly should not have brought it.

Katie
So you're saying every individual so chose to purchase an extended warranty should have not bought their s class?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM

Did not say that Kushp. Your making stuff up.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
After owning two S class vehicle now I can say that I tend to agree with Katie22. I had an MB extended warranty on my 2012 and ended up using around half of the value of the warranty cost and then got some of the back half back when I sold the car. On my 2015 I could not get an MB warranty even though I purchased the car while still under factory warranty. I was not interested in an aftermarket warranty because of all the weasel words in the contracts and decided to run without one. I will probably get rid of my car before the 50K mileage mark and odds are that I will not have a catastrophic failure in that time period. I get that some people want predictable spend, and that comes at a premium cost. I have a pretty good indy that can do most of the work I may need and can fix a lot myself. The W222 has been out of for a while now and has a lot of the bones of the W221 so I think it will be a fairly reliable platform for longer term reliability. Remember that forums are a fraction of the population that drives these cars so the feedback here will be skewed to a certain degree towards advocating for a warranty because a lot of the forum members here are on here because they had a problem that needed to be addressed. The other interesting observation is that if you go over to Germany, all the taxicabs are Mercedes sedans. Cabbies tend to buy durable cars that run forever, not saying an S class will run forever but I have heard they are very reliable.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
200E320,2006CLS500,20102015 S550 4 matic,Panamera,1991 porsche 964
FYI ,i did get a MB warranty[100K miles]. after 3 years.it did cost me.I want only engine and drive train and maybe electrical problems covered..I had bad experience with Panamera @40K,and so i was concerned.I am going 81K in Michigan driving all winters and so far doing fine..