S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Continental Extreme Contact DWS for 2015 S550 4matic with 19” AMG wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB S550 4-matic
Continental Extreme Contact DWS for 2015 S550 4matic with 19” AMG wheels

Hi. I recently replaced my 20” AMG wheels and Pirelli run flat summer tires with AMG 19” wheels and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 all season non run flats. The ride is 100% smoother and softer and still handles well. I do notice that the car seems to wander a little at speeds over 70mph like the car is being buffeted by high winds. Does anyone know if this is a sign of a problem or if this is just the way the Continental s ride? I can put up with this idiosyncrasy. I absolutely hated the run flats. Constant bubbles, bent cracked rims very harsh ride over even minor potholes. I wish German manufacturers would stop putting run flats and put spares back in the trunk!
Old 11-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Drive an E Class but perusing the S boards for tire reviews.

This idiosyncrasy, as you call it, is just that...an abnormality. Perhaps they didn't balance the wheel correctly, nor mount the tire correctly. Worst case is that you received a defective tire. Do not be complacent about it and ask to have the tires reviewed.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,740 Likes on 2,136 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Littlevinny51
Hi. I recently replaced my 20” AMG wheels and Pirelli run flat summer tires with AMG 19” wheels and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 all season non run flats. The ride is 100% smoother and softer and still handles well. I absolutely hated the run flats. Constant bubbles, bent cracked rims very harsh ride over even minor potholes. I wish German manufacturers would stop putting run flats and put spares back in the trunk!

Congratulations on making the change. Why anyone would go with 20” & larger wheels on an S Class Sedan is just beyond me. Ride quality suffers tremendously as the wheel diameter increases and sidewall depth decreases. Throw run flat tires into the mix and ride quality takes another giant hit. I know, I know, the big wheels and ultra low profile tires look so cool, and I guess to some, looks are everything. Even crazier, is the fact that the Maybach offers only one 19” wheel option, while there are SIX 20” wheel options. Of all cars that one would think should put ride quality and silence at the top of the list, they throw the Maybach under the bus, with the huge wheels & run flat tires. Oh well, I so enjoy my S560 with 18” wheels and Bridgestone Serenity Plus non-RFT. The ride is ultra smooth & silent.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB S550 4-matic
Run flat tires 20”

thank you for your reply. I totally agree with you. My car had he 20” run flat wheels/tires when I purchased it from the dealer. I am embarrassed to say that, Unfortunately, I naively believed the salesman that the new “extended mobility” tires rode much better than “run flats!” I commend you for having the good sense to choose ride comfort over appearances. I would like to “ punish” Mercedes for putting run flats on beautiful cars but people buy them anyway and complain on forums afterwards! Insanity. Good luck with your new car!