Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > New S-Class (W222)
Your wife and the S class >

Your wife and the S class

Notices
New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

Your wife and the S class

 
Old 11-11-2018, 09:12 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350 sport
Your wife and the S class

Hey guys its been a long time since I have posted on MB world. My wife is thinking of replacing her beloved w211 E350. for a newer 212 E, we hate the 213. I am pushing her towards a lightly used w222 or a new S450. but she says its too big. looking at them in the lot last night the S seemed only about a foot longer. I know its wider but is it the much more unwieldy than the E. I want to buy the car for her for Christmas but am unsure if she could handle it. My first car was a 77' sedan de ville so I personally like a big car and the smoother ride it can provide. Can anybody compare the two? Is it too much of a learning curve for a female going to that much bigger of a car?

Thanks Guys!

Chris
E500wanabe is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brookshire, Texas & Cat Spring, Texas
Posts: 583
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
2008 SL550/2017 SL450/1899 Leggett/1919 Model T/1931 Model A/1957 Nash Metropolitan
My friend....how long do you want Peace in your marriage? If she wants a E Class then the E Class it is! Have her test drive a S Class but then go by her decision.......
Utopia Texas is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:55 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350 sport
She should be so lucky! just kidding. I also want it for me to drive on the weekend but on the other hand you are probably are right.I just think that it is the only car that MB makes right now that I like.
E500wanabe is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
syswei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL & CT
Posts: 1,252
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by E500wanabe View Post
Hey guys its been a long time since I have posted on MB world. My wife is thinking of replacing her beloved w211 E350. for a newer 212 E, we hate the 213. I am pushing her towards a lightly used w222 or a new S450. but she says its too big. looking at them in the lot last night the S seemed only about a foot longer. I know its wider but is it the much more unwieldy than the E. I want to buy the car for her for Christmas but am unsure if she could handle it. My first car was a 77' sedan de ville so I personally like a big car and the smoother ride it can provide. Can anybody compare the two? Is it too much of a learning curve for a female going to that much bigger of a car?

Thanks Guys!

Chris
This is only my opinion. We have a W222 which is mostly driven by me. Then we have a Tesla, which is my wife's primary car. Although she does feel the ride is better with the MB, she really prefers to drive the Tesla. One reason: the MB is too big. In fact, over time (we've had the Tesla for 2+ years and the MB 3+) she has actually become less and less interested in driving the MB. So my 2 cents is, don't lead her any particular way; jointly test drive various cars you find acceptable, and let her make the choice, if it is primarily going to be her car.
syswei is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BenzV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,741
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 BMW G30 530i XDrive
May be you need to buy something in between
BenzV12 is online now  
Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 339
Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
S600 Maybach, Ford econoline van, AMG GTC
With the Surround View camera system on our Maybach it is the most easy to park car I ever owned!!! Probably an option on the S550 but makes the car easy to drive.
Katie22 is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,141
Received 154 Likes on 142 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Katie22 View Post
With the Surround View camera system on our Maybach it is the most easy to park car I ever owned!!! Probably an option on the S550 but makes the car easy to drive.
Yes, it is an option.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 45
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
I drive an '18 S560. I currently have an '18 E400 loaner from my dealer. The E has a little less body roll, because it's a lighter car (and I don't have MBC on my S), but I don't think there's a huge difference in pulling into the garage or parking. As mentioned above, my S has a surround view camera and the E does not, so parking the S is actually easier. But as has already been said, whichever car your wife wants is the correct choice!
RoseyPSU is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 10:57 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 707
Received 115 Likes on 101 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2012 SLK350
You really need to ensure she'd be comfortable with the bigger car, cameras and all. My wife thinks my C238 (coupe variant of W213) is too big. Of course she drives a SLK, but she likes smaller cars.
teksurv is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 11:10 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
syswei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL & CT
Posts: 1,252
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
P.S. our 2015 has surround view, and my wife still thinks the car too big.
syswei is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 5,207
Received 546 Likes on 423 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Here is a different option altogether: Try the new CLS450. Different styling and the size should be spot-on. Plus it has the new inline 6 engine which is better than the V6 in the S450...

I am curious as to why there is such a dislike for the 213 E-Class? It the closest thing to the W222 S-Class (features/options/design) and the W212 is quite inferior to the W213. If it's the 4 cylinder engine, you could get a E450 and would have a better engine (same as the S450) and interior.
Wolfman is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,141
Received 154 Likes on 142 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by RoseyPSU View Post
I drive an '18 S560. I currently have an '18 E400 loaner from my dealer. The E has a little less body roll, because it's a lighter car (and I don't have MBC on my S), but I don't think there's a huge difference in pulling into the garage or parking. As mentioned above, my S has a surround view camera and the E does not, so parking the S is actually easier. But as has already been said, whichever car your wife wants is the correct choice!
I'm surprised. The E actually doesn't have surround view as an option? I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain it is an option?
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 707
Received 115 Likes on 101 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2012 SLK350
On the W213 it is an option.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
I'm surprised. The E actually doesn't have surround view as an option? I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain it is an option?
teksurv is offline  
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 5,207
Received 546 Likes on 423 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Originally Posted by teksurv View Post
On the W213 it is an option.
Correct. As it also was for the S-Class few years ago. So if the OP is considering a used S-Class, this may not be included either
Wolfman is offline  
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,185
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Go to the dealer and drive them all. C, E, S, and drive the GLC, GLE and GLS too. Listen to what she says about each. Then you will know what to do.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 PM
  #16  
Member
 
S550e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 138
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
W222 S550e, W212 E350
My wife is 5'2 and I have a W222 and a W212. She can't stand driving the S because of how small she is. Get her the nicest, low mileage W212 you can if thats whats she wants. Both are amazing cars.
S550e is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350 sport
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Here is a different option altogether: Try the new CLS450. Different styling and the size should be spot-on. Plus it has the new inline 6 engine which is better than the V6 in the S450...

I am curious as to why there is such a dislike for the 213 E-Class? It the closest thing to the W222 S-Class (features/options/design) and the W212 is quite inferior to the W213. If it's the 4 cylinder engine, you could get a E450 and would have a better engine (same as the S450) and interior.
The perception I had when I drove it felt as if the lower portion of the dash was trapping my legs while the top half was too far away it just didn't feel right. A 4 cyl. in a car like that is ridiculous. I didn't like the trickery they used programming the throttle response it just felt like a step backward. The E 450 I haven't looked at yet. The CLS feels too tight inside. She will probably just get nice 2016 E350 when all is said and done.


Thanks guys!
E500wanabe is offline  
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,022
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by RoseyPSU View Post
I drive an '18 S560. I currently have an '18 E400 loaner from my dealer. The E has a little less body roll, because it's a lighter car (and I don't have MBC on my S), but I don't think there's a huge difference in pulling into the garage or parking. As mentioned above, my S has a surround view camera and the E does not, so parking the S is actually easier. But as has already been said, whichever car your wife wants is the correct choice!
surround view camera is 360 right? my 2014 got it.
OP needs to check the options when buying for his wife or giving a test.
raja777m is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 03:16 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
CazzoGrosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: FLORIDA, ITALIA, ARGENTINA
Posts: 550
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2002 FERRARI 360 SPIDER, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by E500wanabe View Post
She will probably just get nice 2016 E350 when all is said and done.


Thanks guys!
My kind of woman W212> W213
CazzoGrosso is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,747
Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by E500wanabe View Post
The perception I had when I drove it felt as if the lower portion of the dash was trapping my legs while the top half was too far away it just didn't feel right. A 4 cyl. in a car like that is ridiculous. I didn't like the trickery they used programming the throttle response it just felt like a step backward. The E 450 I haven't looked at yet. The CLS feels too tight inside. She will probably just get nice 2016 E350 when all is said and done.


Thanks guys!
The W212's are very nice cars and a 2016 should be well sorted. I think that the W222 is an absolutely beautiful car that I imagine drives beautifully as well but is it is a BFC and from a size standpoint only I personally much prefer the size of the W212. It's kind of Goldilocks in my opinion.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 11-13-2018 at 07:50 PM.
MBNUT1 is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
stever500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 413
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
18 MB S63, 12 911 Turbo S
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
Go to the dealer and drive them all. C, E, S, and drive the GLC, GLE and GLS too. Listen to what she says about each. Then you will know what to do.
Yes, what he said. Only buy what she LOVES. Has she spent 30 minutes driving a newer S Class? If not, she may surprise herself and LOVE the car. I have a loaner E300 now or whatever it's called, it's superb! Handles so much better than my new S63 but I would never want to own the E. I love the massiveness of the S63 and it's visual appeal to me. Everyone is different. In the end, she probably won't like the S and you'll get her an E. Maybe you can talk her into ... yes... an E63, used. Oh heck yeah!!!! Rock on.
stever500 is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
absent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Winnetka, il usa
Posts: 2,405
Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
19 S63, Lusso (wife), GLA250, Wrangler(kids)
Always keep your wife happy and get her the car she really wants, whatever it is..
...whatever it is.....
absent is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 5,207
Received 546 Likes on 423 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Originally Posted by E500wanabe View Post
The perception I had when I drove it felt as if the lower portion of the dash was trapping my legs while the top half was too far away it just didn't feel right. A 4 cyl. in a car like that is ridiculous. I didn't like the trickery they used programming the throttle response it just felt like a step backward. The E 450 I haven't looked at yet. The CLS feels too tight inside. She will probably just get nice 2016 E350 when all is said and done.


Thanks guys!
Understood.
But keep in mind that the new CLS is barely out. Is it even at the dealers yet? From the sound of it you only tried the old model and the new CLS has even newer tech than the latest S-Class. The car also rides on a new platform that the AMG GT4 door also shares.

Personally I would drive all before making a educated choice, even if it ends up to be the W212...
Wolfman is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 214
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
My friend....how long do you want Peace in your marriage? If she wants a E Class then the E Class it is! Have her test drive a S Class but then go by her decision.......
Sad but true.
Bklyn is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:58 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350 sport
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Understood.
But keep in mind that the new CLS is barely out. Is it even at the dealers yet? From the sound of it you only tried the old model and the new CLS has even newer tech than the latest S-Class. The car also rides on a new platform that the AMG GT4 door also shares.

Personally I would drive all before making a educated choice, even if it ends up to be the W212...
Ill have to check out that new CLS.
E500wanabe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Your wife and the S class


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: