MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   New W222! Wireless CarPlay, Suspension Lowering, Chrome Delete, Engineering Mode (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/731995-new-w222-wireless-carplay-suspension-lowering-chrome-delete-engineering-mode.html)

piage 01-05-2019 02:25 AM

New W222! Wireless CarPlay, Suspension Lowering, Chrome Delete, Engineering Mode

24 Attachment(s)
MBworld,

Very loyal W222 owner. I’m new to this site and read through many threads and appreciate all the input all of you have had. But wanted to pick the brains on a few topics.

To start off I picked up a 2018 S450 Sedan recently and absolutely love the car. It’s my 3rd S-Class!

Chrome Delete
Noticed on other threads that some users had their egos easily bruised on a chrome delete thread. Yes I chrome deleted my car. Vinyl wrapping window trim, grills and rear reflectors. I did badge delete and kept the Mercedes symbol chrome along with wheel emblems. I deleted the hood ornament and went with a flush Mercedes Star. Additionally powder coated the wheels gloss black. I preferred the gloss look on the wrap and wheels since it looks more like paint, instead of matte finish. I highly suggest wrapping instead of paint for the chrome delete since it’s easy to remove and redo if needed. I paid $1000 for chrome delete and powder coating and ceramic tint through a friend of mines shop.
https://sgpmotorsports.com

Wireless CarPlay
I’m only going to discuss IOS devices, android users can go buy a BMW (only joking, maybe). Since I was pretty excited for CarPlay on the 2018 S, my 2015 S didn’t not have it. I was really pleased with the functionality, on top of that newest software updated enabled google maps and Waze which is an incredible lifesaver. I noticed on my iPhone CarPlay settings they have an option for wireless CarPlay with newer vehicles. I tried connecting my car using the voice switch, it only would switch on Siri, tried disconnecting Siri, deleted CarPlay off my iPhone X, but no luck. I talked to a friend that works at Apple and he says it’s per car but he’s familiar with my car and said it should definitely have it. Any Mercedes Engineers or techs here that can confirm this? Please reply below. Attached is an old article from earlier last year before this car was brought out.
http://www.carplaylife.com/feature/h...play-wireless/

Suspension Lowering
Okay yes we are going to discuss this, I would love to slam my car to the ground but realistically I know that’s not an option. The car sits a little high for my taste but was trying to figure out whether to go with Lowering Links or OBD2 Module software. From my understanding ‘Links’ lower to a fixed height and the Module is adjustable. Yes I understand that you’re tricking the software with the module, but wouldn’t it make more sense to go with the module since it’s always adjustable. This is coorelated with the next section but is there any need for the OBD2 Module if I can access Engeering Mode since the software is already there to change settings. They both cost roughly the same. Quotes from good friends for quality links are $300, Module is about $500 on Amazon. Let me know your suggestions or experience if any, not opinions, you can keep that your stock ride height to yourself.

Engineering Mode
Okay so the manufacturers of the headunit of majority of all Car makes are from the same company. Most software is uploaded by the manufacturer. The actual manufacturers allow for complete capabilities with their hardware but auto manufactures limit the functionality with their operating systems. I wish to let’s say jail break the software maybe access engineering mode to either change settings, unlock certain features and as stated above section lower suspension without the need of modules. How do I access engineering mode to unlock these features. Engineers and wiz’s reply.

Please enjoy some photos of the current line up and some adventures. Thanks!

IG: @piageafshar

tkelley.EClass 01-05-2019 04:14 AM

Looking very bat mobile, congrats! Im actually digging the flush hood ornament.

Wolfman 01-05-2019 01:43 PM

No wireless CarPlay on MB's. Apple is obviously capable but MB's controller doesn't support it. It's up to manufacturers to implement features such as wireless, dual display etc. BMW has it but then they want to charge you on a regular basis via a subscription model.

Nice Ride 01-05-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by piage (Post 7646176)
MBworld,

Very loyal W222 owner. I’m new to this site and read through many threads and appreciate all the input all of you have had. But wanted to pick the brains on a few topics.

To start off I picked up a 2018 S450 Sedan recently and absolutely love the car. It’s my 3rd S-Class!

Chrome Delete
Noticed on other threads that some users had their egos easily bruised on a chrome delete thread. Yes I chrome deleted my car. Vinyl wrapping window trim, grills and rear reflectors. I did badge delete and kept the Mercedes symbol chrome along with wheel emblems. I deleted the hood ornament and went with a flush Mercedes Star. Additionally powder coated the wheels gloss black. I preferred the gloss look on the wrap and wheels since it looks more like paint, instead of matte finish. I highly suggest wrapping instead of paint for the chrome delete since it’s easy to remove and redo if needed. I paid $1000 for chrome delete and powder coating and ceramic tint through a friend of mines shop.
https://sgpmotorsports.com

Wireless CarPlay
I’m only going to discuss IOS devices, android users can go buy a BMW (only joking, maybe). Since I was pretty excited for CarPlay on the 2018 S, my 2015 S didn’t not have it. I was really pleased with the functionality, on top of that newest software updated enabled google maps and Waze which is an incredible lifesaver. I noticed on my iPhone CarPlay settings they have an option for wireless CarPlay with newer vehicles. I tried connecting my car using the voice switch, it only would switch on Siri, tried disconnecting Siri, deleted CarPlay off my iPhone X, but no luck. I talked to a friend that works at Apple and he says it’s per car but he’s familiar with my car and said it should definitely have it. Any Mercedes Engineers or techs here that can confirm this? Please reply below. Attached is an old article from earlier last year before this car was brought out.
http://www.carplaylife.com/feature/h...play-wireless/

Suspension Lowering
Okay yes we are going to discuss this, I would love to slam my car to the ground but realistically I know that’s not an option. The car sits a little high for my taste but was trying to figure out whether to go with Lowering Links or OBD2 Module software. From my understanding ‘Links’ lower to a fixed height and the Module is adjustable. Yes I understand that you’re tricking the software with the module, but wouldn’t it make more sense to go with the module since it’s always adjustable. This is coorelated with the next section but is there any need for the OBD2 Module if I can access Engeering Mode since the software is already there to change settings. They both cost roughly the same. Quotes from good friends for quality links are $300, Module is about $500 on Amazon. Let me know your suggestions or experience if any, not opinions, you can keep that your stock ride height to yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7G3J13...iglink20394-20

Engineering Mode
Okay so the manufacturers of the headunit of majority of all Car makes are from the same company. Most software is uploaded by the manufacturer. The actual manufacturers allow for complete capabilities with their hardware but auto manufactures limit the functionality with their operating systems. I wish to let’s say jail break the software maybe access engineering mode to either change settings, unlock certain features and as stated above section lower suspension without the need of modules. How do I access engineering mode to unlock these features. Engineers and wiz’s reply.

Please enjoy some photos of the current line up and some adventures. Thanks!

IG: @piageafshar

Cool photos, I especially like the car peaking out of the garage..... Congrats! I also do like the flush hood ornament. Any additional photos of the Chrome Delete? How does the wrap hold up?

piage 01-05-2019 09:25 PM

I guess the article I linked above mentioned that wireless CarPlay capabilities were available on MBUX which will be released on late 2018 / early 2019 MB models such as the model A, if I'm not mistaken, Im pretty certain the hardware capabilities are there, but seems like an ultimate fail on MB part by not including it on the 2018 S redesign, right?

piage 01-05-2019 09:31 PM

Thanks! I have some photos of the car I took today, honestly there was heavy rain coming here to so-cal so it was pretty gloomy out, another member asked for pictures of the wheels. I'll also attach a few pics that were quick snaps that I grabbed overtime, maybe if theres more requests I'll actually go shoot some detailed photos of the whole car in the next couple days. Let me know if you need me to point anything out.

piage 01-05-2019 09:39 PM

Also forgot to mention the wrap holds up honestly better than I expected, most shops around do guarantee their work so you never run into issues unless you leave your car out baking in the sun for 10 years lets say, like any stick or paint will start to degrade at that point.. But definitely do recommend wrapping over paint any day!

aypues 01-05-2019 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by piage (Post 7646804)
I guess the article I linked above mentioned that wireless CarPlay capabilities were available on MBUX which will be released on late 2018 / early 2019 MB models such as the model A, if I'm not mistaken, Im pretty certain the hardware capabilities are there, but seems like an ultimate fail on MB part by not including it on the 2018 S redesign, right?

yes. MBUX will probably not appear until the 223. Pretty sure the hardware is different, it’s not just a software upgrade, with the augmented reality nav, etc..

teksurv 01-06-2019 04:09 PM

Your S450 looks awesome. Very different than most, I would definitely notice it on the road in a good way. Of course, I'm partial to the white coupe and that Porsche.

HSCLA 01-07-2019 12:15 PM

Nicely curated. Might consider blacking-out the factory MB emblem on the grill below the other one. Well done.

teksurv 01-07-2019 11:54 PM

Saw this 126 and reminded me of this thread. https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...60sel-amg.html

MercPlease 01-10-2019 07:43 AM

Looks sick!

piage 02-08-2019 11:50 PM

Jhubb0617 03-05-2019 05:05 AM

Truly beautiful car. You honestly made me order the flat hood ornament just now. Which lowering module did you decide upon? And how much did they charge for the chrome delete?

Love the look overall.

piage 03-05-2019 10:58 AM

Thanks! I haven't had the time to go and get it lowered, but think lowering-links makes the most sense. I actually had a good friends shop do the job so my quote might be a lot lower, but the scope was: powder coating, tint and chrome delete all for $1000