How long will my brakes last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes-Benz E300 RWD
How long will my brakes last?

Hello,

Hope all is well. Currently running 1mm pads on front and 3mm pads on rear for a S550 2014 Sport RWD. Dealer is pushing for replacement, but always like to check in for another opinion.

Also, they are telling me they change pads and rotors on an S550, never just pads. Is this true? Sounds silly and a rip off to me.

Thanks for the any help in advance!
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
1mm of pad left? 3mm of pad left in the rear? So basically no pad left. I think there is really nothing left to discuss. Pads need to be replaced.

Now, should the rotors be replaced? There is a minimum thickness for the rotors, typically it is stamped onto the rotor itself. If the rotor was worn down below that, you can bet the dealer would have told you it was below minimum spec. But they are probably following factory guidelines that say something like rotors and pads should be replaced as a set, for proper pad bedding etc. If you do not feel warped discs (brakes shake when applied) then rotors are probably fine. If you are concerned about the cost of replacing pads and rotors at the dealer, then you should consider buying the parts online and having a local mechanic do it, if you are not a DIY type. Btw, did you know FCPEuro.com has a lifetime warranty on parts they sell? If you buy brakes and rotors from them and they wear out, they will send you new ones.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 AM

Received 520 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I have 60,000 miles on our 16 Maybach. I do all the work myself and I inspect the brakes as specified. As of yet there is a LOT of pad material left on all four corners. I do know there is sensors on one side of the car that will be set off when the pads get low and it tells you to change the pads on the cars screen.

I suspect at the rate of wear I will get to about 80,000 miles before I have to change the fronts.

Katie
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie Diesel
If the dimples on the rotor are gone then it's time for rotors.. I had a ML63 that needed rotors and pads, I got the dealership parts department to match the $187 price for the front rotors and $153 for the rears and $13 for the sensor.. There's a dealership parts department back east that sells online with free S/H with no tax... My local guys matched and I paid tax. I then went with aftermarket pads.... Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic. The pads are better than OEM and your wheels stay much cleaner. OEM pads create WAY to much dust, Spend a few hours cleaning the car and after a few runs the wheels are filthy. Trust me on the pads, Did plenty of research. If you can change a tire then you can easily do a brake job.. Its only a few more bolts away. Plenty of detailed videos online. When my S550 is due... I'll be doing the job and also going with the Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads.
Nice Ride (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 S450
Originally Posted by W222_Bob
If the dimples on the rotor are gone then it's time for rotors.. I had a ML63 that needed rotors and pads, I got the dealership parts department to match the $187 price for the front rotors and $153 for the rears and $13 for the sensor.. There's a dealership parts department back east that sells online with free S/H with no tax... My local guys matched and I paid tax. I then went with aftermarket pads.... Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic. The pads are better than OEM and your wheels stay much cleaner. OEM pads create WAY to much dust, Spend a few hours cleaning the car and after a few runs the wheels are filthy. Trust me on the pads, Did plenty of research. If you can change a tire then you can easily do a brake job.. Its only a few more bolts away. Plenty of detailed videos online. When my S550 is due... I'll be doing the job and also going with the Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads.
I had those Disc Italia pads installed on my 2018 S450 and it made a world of difference! I can go weeks without seeing dirty wheels. There is a light coating of dust but it is very light colored and does not show.
Nice Ride (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts
2016 S550 sport, 2018 GLC300, M3, Zo7, 2021 Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by MikeAtLincoln
I had those Disc Italia pads installed on my 2018 S450 and it made a world of difference! I can go weeks without seeing dirty wheels. There is a light coating of dust but it is very light colored and does not show.
How do you rate them in comparison to the stock stopping power which is excellent. I also want low dust but don't want loss of performance. Have you gotten them hot and not had fade? Thanks for your review
Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
The rear brakes will be the biggest problem as you have to do some trickery with the computer to get the emergency brakes to release so that you can knock the pads out. Same thing in reverse. The rotor replacement every time you do a brake job is hogwash. I would wager I could get 3 sets of pads for every set of rotors based on my personal experience. I changed my pads at around 43,000 miles.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 S450
Originally Posted by seamus2154
How do you rate them in comparison to the stock stopping power which is excellent. I also want low dust but don't want loss of performance. Have you gotten them hot and not had fade? Thanks for your review
They seem to work fine. I have not done any heavy braking so don't know about any fade problem. As far as stopping power I have had the Distronic brake from freeway speeds to zero with no issue.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Thanks Mike! I saw other very good reviews after googling them. My car just had new fronts put on when I bought it, the rears are looking thin so I am staying stock on those pads before the sensor hits. My next brake job will be all 4 corners with these pads, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM

S550 4-Matic, BMW 335d, BMW 540i, BMW M Roadster
Did my brakes

After 31k miles the pad wear sensor came on and inspection showed the rear pads were thin. The fronts still had some meat, but I decided to replace all with ceramic low dust pads. Ordered from Rock Auto along with 2 new sensors, total cost was under $90. I also ordered a a piston compression tool to push in the rear caliper pistons. After checking Youtube to learn how to retract the electric parking brake, I did the job easily. Note: when following the procedure to retract the parking brake, the car door must be closed, the video did not mention this and it took me a while to figure that out! On my S550 4Matic, the wear sensors are located on the inside right rear pad and the outside right front pad. They are very easy to replace. My discs were in good condition with little wear, so I did not consider changing them. I'm delighted with the brakes after switching to ceramic pads, they are more progressive, have great pedal feel, low dust and fantastic stopping power. They also release nicely from auto-hold whereas the OEM felt kind of sticky. I don't live in a hilly area so can't comment on fade resistance on a long descent! I'm surprised that MB is still fitting those filthy black dust pads as OEM when there appears to be an excellent selection of ceramic low dust alternatives. BMW switched long ago! Total cost for the job, including the tool was under $120 and I took about 3 hours at a very slow pace!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the close the door part. I just watched the procedure on youtube and your right...that was not mentioned. I'll be doing my rears this week. After the electric retraction, did you still need to compress the piston into the bore on the rear?? Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 AM

S550 4-Matic, BMW 335d, BMW 540i, BMW M Roadster
Originally Posted by seamus2154
Thanks for the close the door part. I just watched the procedure on youtube and your right...that was not mentioned. I'll be doing my rears this week. After the electric retraction, did you still need to compress the piston into the bore on the rear?? Thanks
Yes, the piston needs to be compressed. Having the tool is helpful but not essential. If you don’t have the tool, the easiest way is to remove the pads and then reattach the caliper and use a flat tool like a tire iron to push the piston in using the disc as a fulcrum. Be careful not to damage the rubber boot that protects piston. Unlike some cars the rear piston does not need to be rotated to retract. Another thing to check is the fluid level in the master cylinder as compressing the caliper piston forces brake fluid into the reservoir and could cause it to overflow. If the level is high, you might want to suck some out before compressing the piston. I did not have to, but I kept an eye on the level after each compression.