Notices
New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

Why??

 
Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM
  #26  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,691
Liked 51 Times in 45 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
I donít modify any of my newer vehicles except to get rid of the run flat tires. On my older iron I search out and install every period accessory I can find. The 1957 Nash Metropolitan I am rebuilding now has the famous accessory ďFlying Into The FutureĒ naked lady on the hood. Might put one on my SL when I drive the Art Car Parade!


Lovely
MBNUT1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 AM
  #27  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BenzV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,728
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
2017 BMW G30 530i XDrive
I think in 50's -60's modification business was not as instated as its now or those who were driving those car back then must have been satisfied with the way their cars' looks .Today's car are more prone to modifications as well.
Nobody would bother to replace their wheels with aftermarket multi spoken ultra thin wheels , those were the days thick side wall tires ruled the roads lol
BenzV12 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 PM
  #28  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 578
Liked 26 Times in 25 Posts
15' E63, 18' S63, 06' F430
Under 50, and as I age, there is less modification and money spent on cars compared to the roaring 20s. Incurring more debts, investments, bills, life changes leaves less for guns and toys. The S class doesn't have a lot of room for non-factory mods. If you have a stock S-class yes, you open up more options in the future at a cost. My s for example lacks the CF exterior option and that is easier to obtain and do (but LOADS of $$$). But I also lack the reclining VIP seat, which seems harder than unbolting and bolting back a bumper.

Now on another car, I went all out. Bone stock Hummer h1. Does NOT help that it is easily modded because the interior quality is built like military, so simple and basic. Exterior armor, flashing lights, light bars all around, LED to all stock lights, FLIR, winch, upgraded grille guard, the interior had a lot of electronics, switches, basic comfort added, sound deadening, etc. Mid 20s then.

I find the w222 platform way harder to modify than compared to the w220, aside from wheels and caliper color.
sakodik is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM
  #29  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 883
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
2019 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
I completely agree with the OP. That said, I have toyed with the idea of wrapping the Pano roof in silver to make it disappear, but I guess Iíve gotten used to it now, so Iíve let it go. I was also concerned that wrapping the roof might cause it to overheat and crack. Other than that, Iíve changed out the run flat tires for conventionals and carry a W221 spare in my trunk, if those count as ďmods.Ē For the most part, I donít care for the exterior looks of my S560, as I felt the refreshed W221 was much better looking. However, the overall driving experience with my 2018 has been so positive, that the car ends up being very attractive to me after all.


I would definitely NOT consider changing from RFT to conventional tires as mods.
BeanTrader is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 PM
  #30  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 516
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
13 S550
I would definitely change out the RFT if I were to keep the original wheels. I think that is the best mod on any stock vehicle.
Venom-AMG is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM
  #31  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Audi a7
Well I can say for me, I am an S class owner and have made In my opinion, modest mods. Mods that most manufacturers offer from the factory, just not on the S.

for me, the e class and CLS are both nice and sporty but dont have the road presence of an S Class. They also do not have the plush interior of an S class.

the S is a a comfortable cream puffer but also handles exceptionally well, whereas the E class and CLS donít ride as comfortably as an S.

so, for me I modded my S class because it was easier to give an S more sporty appearance while not dramatically changing the integrity of the car.

My mods and reasons for them:

22ís - because the s class is a HUGE car and 19ís look tiny. It also fills the wheel well better.

blackout majority of the chrome - because I like the aggressive look of blackout package...car still looks classy.

Aftermarket exhaust- its a big V8 and I like a little sound. Not c63 cracks and pops sound but a nice grunt.

ECU - who doesnít want more power?

yes I couldíve just got an s63, but I saw no reason to pay 15-20k more for a more powerful engine when I can easier achieve that through an ECU upgrade.

I have noticed people have this way about them with the S class in particular that it should be ďleft aloneĒ. I believe any mod is personal preference. The older model S class was dubbed the ďold mans carĒ I believe because the new model w222 is much sleeker and sportier in appearance it has attracted a younger mod interested crowd, including myself...being 26.

when I had an Audi A7, someone asked this same question on someone who downgraded from 20ís to 18ís.. a user said ďbut itís a sports car why wouldnít you want the bigger wheelsĒ. Itís all personal taste.

and as a final note, I live in philadelphia and I am always in NY, where S classes are the taxi cars of NYC... so I would rather my 100k car not be mistaken for a limousine service. 🤪
Ksellers10 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
2014 E350 Sport, 2015 S550 Sport
Originally Posted by Ksellers10 View Post
Well I can say for me, I am an S class owner and have made In my opinion, modest mods. Mods that most manufacturers offer from the factory, just not on the S.

for me, the e class and CLS are both nice and sporty but dont have the road presence of an S Class. They also do not have the plush interior of an S class.

the S is a a comfortable cream puffer but also handles exceptionally well, whereas the E class and CLS donít ride as comfortably as an S.

so, for me I modded my S class because it was easier to give an S more sporty appearance while not dramatically changing the integrity of the car.

My mods and reasons for them:

22ís - because the s class is a HUGE car and 19ís look tiny. It also fills the wheel well better.

blackout majority of the chrome - because I like the aggressive look of blackout package...car still looks classy.

Aftermarket exhaust- its a big V8 and I like a little sound. Not c63 cracks and pops sound but a nice grunt.

ECU - who doesnít want more power?

yes I couldíve just got an s63, but I saw no reason to pay 15-20k more for a more powerful engine when I can easier achieve that through an ECU upgrade.

I have noticed people have this way about them with the S class in particular that it should be ďleft aloneĒ. I believe any mod is personal preference. The older model S class was dubbed the ďold mans carĒ I believe because the new model w222 is much sleeker and sportier in appearance it has attracted a younger mod interested crowd, including myself...being 26.

when I had an Audi A7, someone asked this same question on someone who downgraded from 20ís to 18ís.. a user said ďbut itís a sports car why wouldnít you want the bigger wheelsĒ. Itís all personal taste.

and as a final note, I live in philadelphia and I am always in NY, where S classes are the taxi cars of NYC... so I would rather my 100k car not be mistaken for a limousine service. 🤪
well put. I remember building my F15 X5 and choosing the factory "Shadowline" package that deleted the majority of the chrome and replaced it with black. Infiniti and other brands do this as well. What chip and exhaust are you running? I'd love to do an exhaust but would hate to ruin that silent cabin on road trips.
tkelley.EClass is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
badbenzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Del Rey, CA
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
CLK63bs, E550,500E(Fiat),C55,VROD
Interested in which exhaust as well, my research only shows a Remus exhaust for a S550 cab
badbenzz is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Audi a7
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass View Post
well put. I remember building my F15 X5 and choosing the factory "Shadowline" package that deleted the majority of the chrome and replaced it with black. Infiniti and other brands do this as well. What chip and exhaust are you running? I'd love to do an exhaust but would hate to ruin that silent cabin on road trips.
I am running the weistec ECU and Remus axleback exhaust. I think it sounds good. No drone. And it retains the stock butterfly valves, so itís pretty quiet in the cabin until you mash the pedal and valves open. If I had to give you a comparison, itís a much more satisfying sound rolling down the highway vs the loud noise that comes from the stock runflats!!
Ksellers10 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM
  #35  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Audi a7
Originally Posted by badbenzz View Post
Interested in which exhaust as well, my research only shows a Remus exhaust for a S550 cab

yep Remus is what I am running. There arenít many options. Aside from a custom downpipe Remus is your best bet. If you want to test the waters first, go with a resonator delete. Super inexpensive and will give a tad bit more sound. The good thing is if you do res delete like I did, and find you want more sound, you can go with the cheaper Remus option which will just be sport mufflers
Ksellers10 is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
badbenzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Del Rey, CA
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
CLK63bs, E550,500E(Fiat),C55,VROD
WHY?......it's fun
badbenzz is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:22 AM
  #37  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
2014 E350 Sport, 2015 S550 Sport
Originally Posted by Ksellers10 View Post


I am running the weistec ECU and Remus axleback exhaust. I think it sounds good. No drone. And it retains the stock butterfly valves, so itís pretty quiet in the cabin until you mash the pedal and valves open. If I had to give you a comparison, itís a much more satisfying sound rolling down the highway vs the loud noise that comes from the stock runflats!!
I'm really considering this. I had an AC Schnitzer sport exhaust on my X5 50i and although it is considered the most "tame" exhaust for the vehicle, it was a little too much for me after a couple months. It did have a bit of a drone on the highway although it was very mild. I ended up regretting it. However, this car is MUCH quieter so if I could get some noise on acceleration only I would be over the moon. If you are able to make a video that would be much appreciated. Just cruising around in the car and then mashing the gas pedal. That video the shop sent you was AWESOME and I need that in my life.
tkelley.EClass is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 PM
  #38  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W221 W222 W216
I really donít like the trend of lowering your car.

Popular trend in America.
Its disgusting to my European eyes and mind.
Mercbenzking is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:52 PM
  #39  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Audi a7
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking View Post
I really donít like the trend of lowering your car.

Popular trend in America.
Its disgusting to my European eyes and mind.

so do you think that using air suspension and putting the car in sport + (which obviously lowers the car), is disgusting? Just curious. I believe everything is perception. If a person lowers their car a few mm, people think itís tacky, but if the manufacturer does it, then itís ďsportyĒ?
Ksellers10 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 08:45 AM
  #40  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W221 W222 W216
Originally Posted by Ksellers10 View Post



so do you think that using air suspension and putting the car in sport + (which obviously lowers the car), is disgusting? Just curious. I believe everything is perception. If a person lowers their car a few mm, people think itís tacky, but if the manufacturer does it, then itís ďsportyĒ?
I donít like the way you think.
just as I donít like the way you Americans do.
Mercbenzking is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM
  #41  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Audi a7
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking View Post


I donít like the way you think.
just as I donít like the way you Americans do.
ehh, everyoneís entitled to their opinion. But your ďnon answerĒ answer is interesting.
Ksellers10 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 AM
  #42  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,143
Liked 675 Times in 654 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking View Post


I donít like the way you think.
just as I donít like the way you Americans do.
hyperion667 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 AM
  #43  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,143
Liked 675 Times in 654 Posts
2012 CLS63
I couldn't pretend to have a foreign view.........I have no idea what it's like to live anywhere else. Although I have traveled to nearly ALL 50 states, I'm not that worldly. I do find other cultures very fascinating however......many different people making up the world is incredibly interesting.
hyperion667 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:07 AM
  #44  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
2014 E350 Sport, 2015 S550 Sport
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking View Post


I donít like the way you think.
just as I donít like the way you Americans do.
I'm not sure where you are from sir/ma'am but I will say your statement is unfortunately quite common. I've been in the military for 14 years and have traveled the globe. I've met people from over 10 different countries and inevitably bump into someone who has this shared what I would call "misconception". After great conversations with dozens of these people, they typically end up saying "well, I guess I had it all wrong; you guys aren't so bad". I mean there are 325 million people in the US, I'm sure there's a massive population of "Americans" here who's thinking would be aligned with whatever yours is. Hopefully this forum will be a place where my previous statement will become obvious. You are not the first person to bash car lowering and I'm quite sure those guys were American so there you go. We're all just people with different opinions, regardless of birth place.
tkelley.EClass is offline  
The following users liked this post: tkelley.EClass
seamus2154 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM
  #45  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,715
Liked 355 Times in 270 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking View Post


I don’t like the way you think.
just as I don’t like the way you Americans do.

Well, rather than dance around the issue, why don’t I just ask this gentleman: Sir, what is your nationality?
(By the way, I don’t like lowered cars either!)
Streamliner is online now  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM
  #46  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Palm Beach, Fl
Posts: 130
Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts
2016 S550 sport, M3, Zo7
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking View Post


I don’t like the way you think.
just as I don’t like the way you Americans do.


Yeah, I just don't get the elevated way of thinking Europeans often have. The King.....

Last edited by seamus2154; 02-08-2019 at 11:23 AM.
seamus2154 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM
  #47  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Palm Beach, Fl
Posts: 130
Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts
2016 S550 sport, M3, Zo7
Originally Posted by tkelley.EClass View Post
I'm not sure where you are from sir/ma'am but I will say your statement is unfortunately quite common. I've been in the military for 14 years and have traveled the globe. I've met people from over 10 different countries and inevitably bump into someone who has this shared what I would call "misconception". After great conversations with dozens of these people, they typically end up saying "well, I guess I had it all wrong; you guys aren't so bad". I mean there are 325 million people in the US, I'm sure there's a massive population of "Americans" here who's thinking would be aligned with whatever yours is. Hopefully this forum will be a place where my previous statement will become obvious. You are not the first person to bash car lowering and I'm quite sure those guys were American so there you go. We're all just people with different opinions, regardless of birth place.
He's not just giving an opinion he cannot hide his contempt and dislike of Americans. As you pointed out this is a narrow, ignorant way of thinking. The video shows you the type your dealing with.
seamus2154 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
  #48  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Audi a7
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post


Well, rather than dance around the issue, why donít I just ask this gentleman: Sir, what is your nationality?
(By the way, I donít like lowered cars either!)
so Mr. Streamliner, I am going to assume that you also donít like the idea of the airmatic suspension lowering your car for you? just curious. Or am I reading too much into it... when you say you donít like lowering are you saying slammed like a souped up civic, or a clean lower to close out the hideous wheel gap? Which is it?😀
Ksellers10 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
  #49  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,143
Liked 675 Times in 654 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by seamus2154 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_ZvEpBfow

Yeah, I just don't get the elevated way of thinking Europeans often have. The King.....
I was also wondering if that was the guy from youtube haha.......would be funny.
hyperion667 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM
  #50  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,715
Liked 355 Times in 270 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by Ksellers10 View Post


so Mr. Streamliner, I am going to assume that you also donít like the idea of the airmatic suspension lowering your car for you? just curious. Or am I reading too much into it... when you say you donít like lowering are you saying slammed like a souped up civic, or a clean lower to close out the hideous wheel gap? Which is it?😀
I have no problem with factory suspensions that lower the car for performance purposes. I just donít like things like the car pictured below.


Streamliner is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Why??


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: