MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Why?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/732614-why.html)

AppleFan1 01-11-2019 12:50 PM

Why??

There are multiple threads here on S-Class modifications by some people here on this forum. It probably has something to do with my age, but even when I was young, I saw no reason to change the original look/beauty of the cars I purchased. I'm pretty sure that those of you that modify the S-Class are rather young and wealthy members of the forum, but why do you want to change the beauty of this gorgeous vehicle? I just don't understand it. So, I'm just asking you to give explanations for this tactic. Fire away but please be easy on me. ��

Prochambers 01-11-2019 01:29 PM

I said the same thing. These manufacturers spend Millions of dollars researching and developing the final version of the vehicle. You have some people who don't want their car to look like another MB and they go crazy with the mods. In many cases they ruin the total look and spend tons of money doing it! Oh well what can you say!

1bad540 01-11-2019 01:42 PM

I think the s clas is modded lighter than the other classes, I always do light mods to my cars in the past. The s I changed the 19" wheels to the also stock 20" wheels so not really a mod.

Venom-AMG 01-11-2019 05:06 PM

Everyone has different taste. Why does MB come out with a new model every 6 years? Why do they need a refresh in between? "Once you settle then you are dead" a quote I was told by my father when I was young.

seamus2154 01-11-2019 07:12 PM

Agreed! Never settle, never compromise, always dream big. I have always said a man without dreams is dead. I find anytime I settle or compromise it eats at me over time. I learned not to do it, its a dead end. If you want to and can...do it. One does not have to eat vanilla ice cream everyday convincing themselves it's good enough.

Wolfman 01-11-2019 08:19 PM

Well, our W222 S550 was actually left as-is, apart from switching to non-run flat tires.
In prior generations, the only thing we touched was typically the suspension and wheels. Less so in Europe as in the US where MB for unknown reasons (actually it was conformity to DOT rules) has it's cars ride higher than designed.

That said, the level of personalization available today with wraps, CF add-ons and wheel option is much higher today. What you see is the expression of personal taste. For better or worse ;)

MBS63AMG 01-11-2019 09:57 PM

The only winner is someone who snatches up a car that has been heavily modified a few years old. Then you have to wonder how abusive the owner was to that car.

stever500 01-11-2019 11:24 PM

I know, I would never change anything on my MB 2018 S63! I did change the steering wheel from the microsuede one to leather, but that's it. I would change my black wheels at some point if the right deal came along but they'd have to be OEM wheels that would have been sold with my car. Anything else? Never. It's so perfect the way it is for me.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ad067c56ca.jpg

Venom-AMG 01-12-2019 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG (Post 7651986)
The only winner is someone who snatches up a car that has been heavily modified a few years old. Then you have to wonder how abusive the owner was to that car.

That can be true but I believe the majority of owners who buys the car new and modify actually takes better care of the car then non modified. To me owners that buy these cars 3-5 years old and then modified it are the ones that uses cheap products. Not all but most i think.

Venom-AMG 01-12-2019 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7652042)
I know, I would never change anything on my MB 2018 S63! I did change the steering wheel from the microsuede one to leather, but that's it. I would change my black wheels at some point if the right deal came along but they'd have to be OEM wheels that would have been sold with my car. Anything else? Never. It's so perfect the way it is for me.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ad067c56ca.jpg

question though is did you upgrade from a previous S class? Would you upgrade to the next gen? If you answered yes to any then all you have done is let MB modify the vehicle for you. I thought my 07 S600 was perfect in.every way but the current gen greatly improved it. I believe there is going over board with mods for this vehicle. Example is installing 30" wheels lol. End of the day, enjoy what you like. You worked hard for it.

badbenzz 01-12-2019 04:40 AM

Frankly I have modified every car I have ever owned. I enjoy having a car a little different than stock. The older I get the less mods I do but always replace stock wheels and will be doing it to my S cab next week with 21" HRE wheels. I like to think the mods I do are tasteful and improve the performance of the car overall. Just my 2 cents.

absent 01-12-2019 05:52 AM

I have modded every car I have ever owned but always invisible, performance improvements only.
I can understand the will to personalize the look of a car that is essentially a mass production, since a lot of folks wish to be a bit different.

hyperion667 01-12-2019 12:01 PM

I've done mods over the years just to make it more exciting for my own personal ego.......wheels were the only thing I did to my S, but have done other cosmetic things on my AMG to make it 'look' cooler....TO ME you know? And perhaps being younger is a fault for that particular aspect of modding........I'd also add I've wasted a metric ton of money that I'll never see again.......again; living and learning. Hell, I don't have the S anymore, but still have the wheels lol.......as well as every other piece and bit from all of the MB's I've purchased since 2011:smash:
Back then, on the W212 forum we had SO MUCH fun modding and posting pictures of the ways we were trying to differentiate our cars from the rest.........it's kind of a hobby I learned over the years. Attending cars and coffee events. making new freinds and learning more about cars has been really fun for me and meeting cool, like minded people as well.........jeez I'm rambling

tkelley.EClass 01-12-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BeanTrader (Post 7651569)
There are multiple threads here on S-Class modifications by some people here on this forum. It probably has something to do with my age, but even when I was young, I saw no reason to change the original look/beauty of the cars I purchased. I'm pretty sure that those of you that modify the S-Class are rather young and wealthy members of the forum, but why do you want to change the beauty of this gorgeous vehicle? I just don't understand it. So, I'm just asking you to give explanations for this tactic. Fire away but please be easy on me. ��

I think its just taste and wanting to maybe stand out from the flock a bit. Im in the ladder boat. Then again, I only pursue tasteful modifications; nothing too crazy. An S63 is mint out of the factory but a standard S550 (sport or not) is a little bland for my taste. To each his/her own, they are fabulous machines so mod away as you see fit is what I say :-D

AppleFan1 01-12-2019 09:17 PM

Okay guys. I get it now. The consensus seems to be to each his own. I guess I don't like to mod my cars. Just curious: Of the people here that like to mod, who is under 50 years old? Thanks for the great discussion to this point.

seamus2154 01-12-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BeanTrader (Post 7652800)
Okay guys. I get it now. The consensus seems to be to each his own. I guess I don't like to mod my cars. Just curious: Of the people here that like to mod, who is under 50 years old? Thanks for the great discussion to this point.

I am over 50 and slightly mod most every car I own. Tastefully. Right now my 2016 S550 sport is just tint, and PPF. I am considering just HRE rims with Michelins in the future.

absent 01-12-2019 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BeanTrader (Post 7652800)

Turning 60 in March, I've been modding all my cars beginning with a Fiat 126 in 1976.
I still remember what I did to it, replaced the steering wheel to a sport one and modded the carburetor, exhaust , etc, to increase the stock 23HP to a hard to control, monstrous 30HP!

hyperion667 01-13-2019 08:08 AM

I'm 43 :y

sam9187 01-13-2019 09:21 AM

I'm 44

tkelley.EClass 01-13-2019 09:54 AM

Im 32 and have been modding cars since I was 16. My tastes have certainly matured but I'll always do a little something here and there.

1bad540 01-13-2019 11:32 AM

39. Ive modded everything I own.

Streamliner 01-13-2019 12:40 PM

I completely agree with the OP. That said, I have toyed with the idea of wrapping the Pano roof in silver to make it disappear, but I guess I’ve gotten used to it now, so I’ve let it go. I was also concerned that wrapping the roof might cause it to overheat and crack. Other than that, I’ve changed out the run flat tires for conventionals and carry a W221 spare in my trunk, if those count as “mods.” For the most part, I don’t care for the exterior looks of my S560, as I felt the refreshed W221 was much better looking. However, the overall driving experience with my 2018 has been so positive, that the car ends up being very attractive to me after all.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c994c20d0.jpeg

Utopia Texas 01-13-2019 12:57 PM

I don’t modify any of my newer vehicles except to get rid of the run flat tires. On my older iron I search out and install every period accessory I can find. The 1957 Nash Metropolitan I am rebuilding now has the famous accessory “Flying Into The Future” naked lady on the hood. Might put one on my SL when I drive the Art Car Parade! :)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d3fd2e8a4.jpeg

hyperion667 01-13-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7653136)
I don’t modify any of my newer vehicles except to get rid of the run flat tires. On my older iron I search out and install every period accessory I can find. The 1957 Nash Metropolitan I am rebuilding now has the famous accessory “Flying Into The Future” naked lady on the hood. Might put one on my SL when I drive the Art Car Parade! :)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d3fd2e8a4.jpeg

That is one fine looking automobile!

Utopia Texas 01-13-2019 04:25 PM

And the screaming 55HP puts fear in the hearts of all go cart owners......:)