S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Can my cell phone supply internet to my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Can my cell phone supply internet to my car?

I'm mostly interested with searching for navigation, not sure what else. Even when I subscribed never saw much benefit to benz's bult in internet for the apps, never worked right for me. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450 (on order)
I do not know for sure, but I do not believe so.

I do however have a different issue with this. My cell phones (iPhone X and iPhone XS), both fail to get good reception in the car, in certain cases completely losing it. Regardless of the location, when I exit the car, I get 4 or 5 bars. When I hold the phone next to the cutout on the windshield, I also see some improvement but not as much as what I see when I exit the car. The wireless charging console seems like only sometimes improving the reception, but it could be placebo effect as well (as I am not sure whether iPhones support external antenna through induction).

The only feasible way I found to be able to communicate through my phone in the vehicle is to subscribe to the monthly package MBrace has, and enabling Wi-Fi calling on the phone. I believe my 2018 S560 has the deal going through Verizon, which has a very decent reception across the geographies I roam in... It says the in-vehicle hot spot supports up to 10 devices, and I have these phones, as well as an Amazon HD firetv stick in the back, and they can all be going with no issues with respect to bandwidth.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by garygnu
I'm mostly interested with searching for navigation, not sure what else. Even when I subscribed never saw much benefit to benz's bult in internet for the apps, never worked right for me. Thanks!
In the US the answer is no. I rented a ‘17 S63 in Germany just under 2 years ago and there I used my cell phone data plan (for the internet radio/wi-if)—actually it may have been my IPad data plan but in any event in Germany the phone/iPad data plan was the car data plan. When I took European Delivery of my S63 in November 2018 in Germany, I attempted to use my cell phone while I had my US spec car in Germany. I was not successful.

It seems like in the US that MB is changing things up a bit. My ‘14 and ‘16 S class cars used Verizon Telematics while my ‘19 S63 now is using AT&T of which one has to sign up separately specifically just for the data plan to use the WiFi/apps/Internet radio features.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by MTrauman

In the US the answer is no. I rented a ‘17 S63 in Germany just under 2 years ago and there I used my cell phone data plan (for the internet radio/wi-if)—actually it may have been my IPad data plan but in any event in Germany the phone/iPad data plan was the car data plan. When I took European Delivery of my S63 in November 2018 in Germany, I attempted to use my cell phone while I had my US spec car in Germany. I was not successful.

It seems like in the US that MB is changing things up a bit. My ‘14 and ‘16 S class cars used Verizon Telematics while my ‘19 S63 now is using AT&T of which one has to sign up separately specifically just for the data plan to use the WiFi/apps/Internet radio features.
After the 30 day free trial from AT&T, I said "the hell with it". Who needs it? I have an unlimited data plan from T-Mobile and I can get Tune-in radio (or anything else) though my phone and use bluetooth. It works fantastic.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450 (on order)
True that 2019 and beyond moved to ATT. Before that it has been Verizon. To be fair, while ATT quality is better, Verizon seems to have better rural coverage. In the end, come 2020, all will be reconsidered again with 5G, as Benz seems to have plans to go big there, starting in the US. The HW is changing (good news for me), and the provider is most likely to be reconsidered. Sadly I have the month to month plan from MBrace due to the reason I mentioned above...
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by salamigs
I do not know for sure, but I do not believe so.

I do however have a different issue with this. My cell phones (iPhone X and iPhone XS), both fail to get good reception in the car, in certain cases completely losing it. Regardless of the location, when I exit the car, I get 4 or 5 bars. When I hold the phone next to the cutout on the windshield, I also see some improvement but not as much as what I see when I exit the car. The wireless charging console seems like only sometimes improving the reception, but it could be placebo effect as well (as I am not sure whether iPhones support external antenna through induction).

The only feasible way I found to be able to communicate through my phone in the vehicle is to subscribe to the monthly package MBrace has, and enabling Wi-Fi calling on the phone. I believe my 2018 S560 has the deal going through Verizon, which has a very decent reception across the geographies I roam in... It says the in-vehicle hot spot supports up to 10 devices, and I have these phones, as well as an Amazon HD firetv stick in the back, and they can all be going with no issues with respect to bandwidth.
I subscribe to MBrace primarily for the internet/hot spot feature, which to my understanding is 3G technology in the US. My iPhone through AT&T uses 4G, so it's considerably slower when connected to MB's 3G network in my car. If I turn off the MB network connection in the car my phone works much better. I also use my laptop in the car and the internet connection is "ok" but again much slower.