MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Hey Einstein, why no spare? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/734802-hey-einstein-why-no-spare.html)

Donnymac 02-02-2019 07:48 PM

Hey Einstein, why no spare?

Makes no owner sense and very unappealing.

hyperion667 02-02-2019 07:57 PM

Here we go :)

Donnymac 02-02-2019 09:12 PM

I'll just strap it down with duct tape.

W222_Bob 02-02-2019 09:35 PM

Because most wealthy people are above tire changing you know.... They'll lift a phone to call for help and that's about it.

Or unless your on runcrap tires...........

Mitch Alsup 02-02-2019 09:43 PM

It would cost MB money to put a tire in there.
It will remove volume from an already scarce trunk space.
Tire cost weight, weight cost mileage, weight decreases performance.
And your champaign will be warm by the time the tire is fixed anyway, so you might just as well drink it while waiting for the tow truck.

W222_Bob 02-02-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7671305)
And your champaign will be warm by the time the tire is fixed anyway, so you might just as well drink it while waiting for the tow truck.

But you gain back any weight lost when you have runflat tires.... Which crack rims which then MB makes $$$ selling overpriced replacements.

Donnymac 02-02-2019 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 7671305)

Yep I concur with the MB failed decision on an otherwise great car. My 221 runs like a supersonic brick on glass. However,

i would pay extra for a spare.

If I need extra trunk space, my Landcruiser is ready and able.

if I was after performance, any number of cars rip a S550.

As to champagne or single malt, I would gladly share with a speedy tow truck operator, but they don't exist except in an engineers mind.

I'll just settle for duct tape and a junk yard spare.

MB wins. We lose.

Utopia Texas 02-02-2019 10:49 PM

This is the very first time anyone has mentioned this......

rustybear3 02-02-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7671351)
This is the very first time anyone has mentioned this......

:rolf:

Donnymac 02-02-2019 11:11 PM

Ha!

Im sure MB is very worried, too.

Might as well take the tail gate off a pickup and use net wire instead.

hyperion667 02-03-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by W222_Bob (Post 7671294)
Because most wealthy people are above tire changing you know.... They'll lift a phone to call for help and that's about it.

Or unless your on runcrap tires...........

Is that what all your wealthy friends tell you?

LOL

Jud Chapin 02-03-2019 08:04 AM

Looks like that's where we're headed. Stopped at Lexus dealer recently and sales said most of their new ones come with run flats. It cuts weight off cars (no spare). Actually, one of my current cars is a '91 Lincoln Mark VII which I bought new. It now has 230k on the od. I've never needed the spare. Several years ago, the new Vettes came with no spare. In it's place you got a can Fix A Flat.

Utopia Texas 02-03-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Donnymac (Post 7671365)
Ha!

Im sure MB is very worried, too.

Might as well take the tail gate off a pickup and use net wire instead.

The net tailgate on the MB pickup is not the problem. The problem is the steering wheel is off center to the seat by 1mm! The Mercedes X Truck Concept.....
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...ncept-x-class/

W222_Bob 02-03-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

LOL

Just the trust fund ones.....

Wolfman 02-03-2019 02:02 PM

To be clear, the concept of the spare tire is dead. Love it or hate it, that's the way it is and won't change.

This is a separate issue than run flat tires. Mercedes in many markets offers the S-Class with non-run flat tires by default and offers customers the choice for different tire options. MBUSA has decided not to do so (apart from AMG); likely a result of many years worth of roadside-assistance data. You can lament this of course, but most American MB drivers will call MBrace instead of getting out in traffic. The police btw will recommend the same for safety reasons.

For me it's a tirefix kit and non-run flats :)

hyperion667 02-03-2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by W222_Bob (Post 7671763)
Quote:

LOL

Just the trust fund ones.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/13ywUiX9SwSlGM/giphy.gif

Streamliner 02-04-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 7671235)
Here we go :)

Did someone call my name?:D

For the benefit of newcomers to this topic, here goes: Driving much of anywhere outside of a metro area without a spare is just plain NUTS! OK, run flat tires will get you to a shop IF you pick up a nail. However, if you encounter some sort of a road hazard that results in a blow out, you are up the proverbial excrement creek. AND, you better start paddling with your hands, ‘cause you ain’t got a paddle!

So, you take the wife & kids to see Mt. Rushmore or Yellowstone and you hit an unseen hazard, which blows your 20” tire and cracks your AMG wheel. You call MBRACE and they send a tow truck. You are taken to Earl’s Fillin’ Station where Earl peers at the tire, belches and says “I ain’t naer seen a tar like dat. I’ll have to call Omaha in da mornin’ & see if them fellers can send one out double quick.” So you, your wife, your kids & luggage get to spend a night OR TWO, at the No-Tell Motel “down the road a piece,” and Earl will let you know.

Meanwhile, a fellow in his nice, new Genesis G90 happens down the same road and hits the same road hazard and blows his tire. He calmly opens his cavernous trunk, lifts up the cover and sitting there is a gorgeous, spare, jack & tool kit, top photo. He makes the change and 20 minutes later he and his family are on their way. As they pass the No-Tell Motel, the wife says “what a sleazy dump, I can’t imagine who would stay there.”

I know, I know, this HARDLY ever happens, but why should we ever be put in such a situation? In my S560, I carry a brand new W221 compact spare and a W222 jack & tool kit. The spare sits on top of the trunk floor, bottom photo, which is ridiculous, but it gives me great peace of mind, especially when driving out of town. AND, there is nearly enough room to put a spare under the trunk floor and I’m sure the MB designers COULD have left room for one, but THEY have decided that we no longer need one. Idiots.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a498c9379.jpeg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...edf9411e5.jpeg

AppleFan1 02-04-2019 12:30 PM

Call me stubborn if you wish, but I am fine with the run flats. My old 2014 S550 came with Bridgestone Turanza and the new S450 has the Turanza. I'm not sure if the new RFT has been improved or the suspension on the S450 is improved, but I find the new one more comfortable and quieter than the old. I have no compelling reason at all to switch to non RFT. It's great to have the trunk space as well.

superangrypenguin 02-04-2019 03:43 PM

No iota of a joke, but the straw that broke this penguin's back, ultimately, was the lack of a spare tire on the W222. Bought a 2019 A8L instead :D

Good job Mercedes /s.

Prochambers 02-04-2019 03:54 PM

I also invested into the W221 spare tire. I rather have a spare tire to get off the road quickly than to be waiting around for anyone's tow truck. I even have a portable 2 ton jack to make changing the tire that much easier, which has it's own case. I have (3) cars and I'm old fashioned but if I do get a flat, I can then deal with having my regular tire plugged at a local tire shop without getting..."Uhm excuse me sir! We don't carry any of those RFT's here!" The newer tire technology isn't for us all, no matter how they try to tell you it is!

NACHE 02-04-2019 03:58 PM

Same deal...the `19 gtr....i p u`d 1-23-19....F.Jones Lv,Nv....dealer...Nope...NO..!!! no spare..or tire kit (fix flats)...either..thats MB on the CHEEEP.

Nache
Drive safe

Streamliner 02-04-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BeanTrader (Post 7672494)
Call me stubborn if you wish, but I am fine with the run flats. My old 2014 S550 came with Bridgestone Turanza and the new S450 has the Turanza. I'm not sure if the new RFT has been improved or the suspension on the S450 is improved, but I find the new one more comfortable and quieter than the old. I have no compelling reason at all to switch to non RFT. It's great to have the trunk space as well.

Nothing wrong with the latest series of Run Flat Tires. Not as smooth riding as non-RFT, but way better than earlier versions. However, what happens when the tire—conventional or RFT—gets SHREDDED by a road hazard, or the wheel gets cracked hitting a pot hole? It doesn’t happen often, but if it ever does, if there is a spare in the trunk, you are on your way in less than an hour. If not, you are going for a ride in the cab of a tow truck. At the very least, MB should make a spare optional and let buyers decide.

AppleFan1 02-05-2019 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7672810)

Nothing wrong with the latest series of Run Flat Tires. Not as smooth riding as non-RFT, but way better than earlier versions. However, what happens when the tire—conventional or RFT—gets SHREDDED by a road hazard, or the wheel gets cracked hitting a pot hole? It doesn’t happen often, but if it ever does, if there is a spare in the trunk, you are on your way in less than an hour. If not, you are going for a ride in the cab of a tow truck. At the very least, MB should make a spare optional and let buyers decide.

In the case of a shredded tire, I would pull off way to the side of the road and call MBrace or AAA. I would never attempt to do the repair on my own especially on a busy highway.

ygmn 02-05-2019 08:48 AM

Just make the spare tire an option and everyone is happy!

Streamliner 02-05-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BeanTrader (Post 7673022)
In the case of a shredded tire, I would pull off way to the side of the road and call MBrace or AAA. I would never attempt to do the repair on my own especially on a busy highway.

In most cases, that’s exactly what I would do. However, when one of those services arrives, but you have no spare for THEM to put on, you will be going for a ride in the tow truck. There is a good chance you will have to leave your car wherever it is towed to, rent a car and come back in the next day or two. RFT are one issue and I have no problem with them, as I can easily swap them out. But having no spare and no good place to put one, should an owner wish to provide their own, is just insane, IMO.