S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

thinking about returning my 2016 CPO S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
thinking about returning my 2016 CPO S550

I picked up a 2016 CPO S-550 last Thursday (Valentine’s Day gift for my wife). However, 5 days later I’m thinking about returning the car under the “7 day/500 mile satisfaction guaranteed” clause.

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical from the beginning because:
1) The car had 2 previous owners
2) It was involved in a minor accident (according to CarFax, there was minor damage to the front and back of the car but the airbags were not deployed)
3) During the test drive, the left turn signal wasn’t working. This raised 2 questions.
1. If they missed the malfunctioning turn signal during the CPO inspection, what else did they miss?
2. Why is the turn signal failing so soon? Could this be residual damage from the “minor” accident?

However, I ignored my concerns because:
1). The car is certified so any issues would be covered by warranty
2). It was a low mileage car (21,000 miles) with quite a few options (not often found in this region)

Yesterday, I noticed coolant on the floor of my garage. The dealer repaired the leak by replacing the coolant hose. When I asked if it was odd that a hose would fail in a <3 year old car with 21k miles, I was told that premature coolant hose failure is a known problem with these cars. However, looking through this forum and other web sites, I couldn’t find any owner comments that support the dealer’s claim. In the back of my mind, I’m wondering if this might be another problem that stemmed from the “minor accident”.

I have approx 36 hours to make a decision on returning the car. However, the policy states that I would have to buy another car of equal or greater value. The reality is that they don’t have any other CPO cars in stock that interest me. There are a couple of new S560’s in the dealer’s inventory that are equipped to my likings. However, even thought I’m eligible for the 12.5% employee relative’s discount off of MSRP, I really don’t want to spend $100k+ for a car.... especially under these circumstances.

So my question for this forum are:
1). Have you heard of premature coolant hose failures in these cars?
2). Would you be inclined to suspect that this car will be problematic over the next few years or would you place your trust in the CPO warranty?
3) Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by livenupe; 02-20-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by livenupe
I picked up a 2016 CPO S-550 last Thursday (Valentine’s Day gift for my wife). However, 5 days later I’m reathinking about returning the car under the “7 day/500 mile satisfaction guaranteed” clause.

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical from the beginning because:
1) The car had 2 previous owners
2) It was involved in a minor accident (according to CarFax, there was minor damage to the front and back of the car but the airbags were not deployed)
3) During the test drive, the left turn signal wasn’t working. This raised 2 questions.
1. If they missed the turn signal malfunction during the CPO inspection, what else did they miss?
2. Why is the turn signal failing so soon? Could this be residual damage from the “minor” accident?

However, I ignored my concerns because:
1). The car is certified so any issues would be covered by warranty
2). It was a low mileage car (21,000 miles) with quite a few options (not often found in this region)

Yesterday, I noticed coolant on the floor of my garage. The dealer repaired the leak by replacing the coolant hose. When I asked if it was odd that a hose would fail in a <3 year old car with 21k miles, I was told that premature coolant hose failure is a known problem with these cars. However, looking through this forum and other web sites, I couldn’t find any owner comments that support the dealer’s claim. In the back of my mind, I’m wondering if this might be another problem that stemmed from the “minor accident”.

I have approx 36 hours to make a decision on returning the car. However, the policy states that I would have to buy another car of equal or greater value. The reality is that they don’t have any other CPO cars in stock that interest me. There are a couple of new S560’s in the dealer’s inventory that are equipped to my likings. However, even thought I’m eligible for the 12.5% employee relative’s discount off of MSRP, I really don’t want to spend $100k+ for a car.... especially under these circumstances.

So my question for this forum are:
1). Have you heard of premature coolant hose failures in these cars?
2). Would you be inclined to suspect that this car will be problematic over the next few years or would you place your trust in the CPO warranty?
3) Any other thoughts/suggestions?
7 day, 500 mile satisfaction guarantee, yet you still have to buy a car of same or equal value? Does not seem like a satisfaction guarantee to me? I would ask to see the General Manager of the dealership to discuss your concerns and gauge the possibility of returning the car with zero obligation to purchase another vehicle.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rockland:
aypues (02-23-2019), livenupe (02-20-2019), thxrick (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 Ford Expedition EL, 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR
Originally Posted by Rockland

7 day, 500 mile satisfaction guarantee, yet you still have to buy a car of same or equal value? Does not seem like a satisfaction guarantee to me? I would ask to see the General Manager of the dealership to discuss your concerns and gauge the possibility of returning the car with zero obligation to purchase another vehicle.
The only satisfaction with that is from the dealers wallet.

If you are unhappy with the vehicle after 5 days, I would think there will always be something in the back of you mind regarding it.

Perhaps there is another CPO at a neighboring dealership you can get.

The car seems like a hot potato.
The following users liked this post:
livenupe (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:28 AM

S550
Fair point. I'm scheduled to meet with the GM later today and I will definitely see if I can get out of the deal altogether. That would be ideal!!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Absolutely! Get out of it and walk away if you can. This dealership seems a little hinky IMO.
livenupe (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
I think you may be over reacting.... But i wouldnt have bought the car w any accident history. The cpo cars are usually pretty good but you do have to know how to weed them out.
livenupe (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
I would walk, no run away from this since it’s cover under the 7 days guarantee. Accident from carfax and 2 owner car with low mileage is a indication that the first owner didn’t like it after the accident and second owner didn’t like it either.

Accident where airbag didn’t deploy only means ( to me ), the insurance company wasn’t really to total the car.

Get out of that car today and would suggest not buying a car that has a carfax accident.

Good luck.
livenupe (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Let us know what happens.
livenupe (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts
2016 S550 sport, 2018 GLC300, M3, Zo7, 2021 Sierra Denali
It was my understanding CPO cars cannot have paintwork or an accident history? Prior accident and now issues....not adding up to a small dent or minor damage IMHO. I would run out of this deal.
livenupe (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by 1bad540
I think you may be over reacting.... But i wouldnt have bought the car w any accident history. The cpo cars are usually pretty good but you do have to know how to weed them out.
I'm pretty sure the car cannot be offered as CPO since it was in an accident.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
https://jalopnik.com/what-is-a-certi...car-1595837186
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 PM

S550
Hopefully, history will prove that 1bad540 was right when he said that I'm over-reacting. After much deliberation I decided to stick with this car for a couple of reasons:
1) There isn't another car in their inventory that I like. If I walk away from this car, I'm guaranteed to be stuck with a car that's "ok" at best. If I stick with this car, there's at least a chance that I'll be happy (assuming thre are no more "issues").
2) The GM through in a few goodies (worth approx. $1k).
3) This is the second car that I've purchased from this dealership (previously leased a 2016 E350) so I know they're decent people. On 2 other occasions, I found a better price on a car at a different dealership (a Lexus RX and a Porsche 911) but took it to this network for service. While they're not always the lowest price, they're technicians are generally pretty competent and service oriented (better than average based on my experiences)
4) The GM is new to his role (been around their system for 20+ years) and I'm trusting that he'll make good on his word and "take care of me" if I have additional problems.
5) They really have gone the extra mile to try to make this right for me.

Thanks to everyone for offering a perspective. I'll keep you posted.
LiveNupe
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 PM

S550
Nice RideThere are some dealers who won't sell a car (CPO or otherwise) that doesn't have a squeaky clean Carfax. However, I've learned that's a dealer decision, not a requirement or policy by MB. For example, I know that's the policy of the MB dealer in Ontario, CA... they won't sell a car with a Carfax history. Period, end of story.

However, I've talked to other dealers who will sell a car with an accident history as long as the airbags weren't deployed. I have CPO and Carfax documents from my car as proof

Last edited by livenupe; 02-20-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 PM

S550
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
I would walk, no run away from this since it’s cover under the 7 days guarantee. Accident from carfax and 2 owner car with low mileage is a indication that the first owner didn’t like it after the accident and second owner didn’t like it either.

Accident where airbag didn’t deploy only means ( to me ), the insurance company wasn’t really to total the car.

Get out of that car today and would suggest not buying a car that has a carfax accident.

Good luck.
Not that this changes your perspective, but the 2nd owner had the accident. S/he sold the car immediately afterwards.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222 S550e, C207 E550, W212 E350
I say good decision. When buying an S, you want all the options you can get so you are not regretting the purchase. Since yours is CPO'd, I would not be scared to own that car, all problems can be taken care of through the warranty.
Hope you have cleared you mind as well, sometimes these things can get hectic.

With that being said, Post your spec! Pictures??
Happy Driving!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:10 PM

S550
Originally Posted by S550e
I say good decision. When buying an S, you want all the options you can get so you are not regretting the purchase. Since yours is CPO'd, I would not be scared to own that car, all problems can be taken care of through the warranty.
Hope you have cleared you mind as well, sometimes these things can get hectic.

With that being said, Post your spec! Pictures??
Happy Driving!
As soon as I get it back from the dealership, I'll be sure to post some pix
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by livenupe
Nice RideThere are some dealers who won't sell a car (CPO or otherwise) that doesn't have a squeaky clean Carfax. However, I've learned that's a dealer decision, not a requirement or policy by MB. For example, I know that's the policy of the MB dealer in Ontario, CA. However, I've talked to other dealers who will sell a car with an accident as long as the airbags weren't deployed. In addition to discussions I've had with salesmen at a couple of different dealerships, I have CPO and Carfax documents as proof.
Ted Moreno/GM and Mike Daniel/Service Director of Ontario Mercedes are great people and very customer oriented. If Ted promised you something, he will come through. Ask Ted provide you the VMI ( service history ) of this car do you know what was actual done to the car and the accident.

Have you tried FJ Newport, they have a great selection?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 PM

S550
Originally Posted by S63AMG888

Ted Moreno/GM and Mike Daniel/Service Director of Ontario Mercedes are great people and very customer oriented. If Ted promised you something, he will come through. Ask Ted provide you the VMI ( service history ) of this car do you know what was actual done to the car and the accident.

Have you tried FJ Newport, they have a great selection?

Sorry if my comment wasn't clear. I didn't buy the car from MB Ontario. I was only intending to say that the MB Ontario dealership is an example of a dealership that WON'T sell a car with a Carfax history, not that I bought this car from them. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by livenupe; 02-20-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Ive seen plenty of cpo cars w light accidents on thecarfax.....mostly bumper damage. I dont think they will cpo a car with major damage. Most cpo cars bmw& benz in Ny have the bumpers repainted. I know my last cpo w221 had both bumpers done at the dealer before i got it, and so did my bmw 750 cpo that i had before that one.

Last edited by 1bad540; 02-21-2019 at 08:50 AM.
livenupe (02-24-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by 1bad540
Ive seen plenty of cpo cars w light accidents on thecarfax.....mostly bumper damage. I dont think they will cpo a car with major damage. Most cpo cars bmw& benz in Ny have the bumpers repainted. I know my last cpo w221 had both bumpers done at the dealer before i got it, and so did my bmw 750 cpo that i had before that one.
Anyone that does not live in NYC but has traveled there knows this to be true on repainting bumpers. Probably everyone repaints bumpers due to the tight parking spaces and the way people drive. I see that some people put on those “rubber bumpers” on top of their manufactured bumper to avoid all the scrapes and scuffs.
livenupe (02-24-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
So a CPO car has to pass inspection, does that mean it is accident free?

You would hope so, but there have been a few instances where cars with documented accident damage have slipped through the cracks. However, this is rare in the case of manufacturer certified cars. Although there are many documented cases where dealer “certified” cars have been found to have damage on their history reports. Remember, just because a collision is not revealed on the CarFax, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen; this is why an independent inspection is always recommended for any pre-owned car purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nice Ride:
livenupe (02-24-2019), Utopia Texas (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
A tiny collision isn't going to hurt anything lol, and the coolant hose bursting more than likely has nothing to do with the collision, however even if it did, it's fixed and over with! I have no doubt you'll enjoy your car the way it is, and these are pretty stout cars TBH, but if you're really that worried, just go back and get another one!
livenupe (02-24-2019)