Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > New S-Class (W222)
Where do USAA incentives come from? >

Where do USAA incentives come from?

Notices
New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

Where do USAA incentives come from?

 
Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,717
Liked 357 Times in 272 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
Where do USAA incentives come from?

USAA offers incentives to new car buyers, some MB up to $2,500.00. I wonder who coughs up this money. Is it the dealer or MBUSA? I ask, because if it is the dealer, then you can probably get the same deal with or without USAA, if you drive a hard bargain. If it is MBUSA, then the USAA incentive should be in addition to anything negotiated with the dealer, right? Same would go for the MB Club of America, which I believe offers incentives on new MB, after you have been a member for over a year.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 07:38 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 48
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
USAA offers incentives to new car buyers, some MB up to $2,500.00. I wonder who coughs up this money. Is it the dealer or MBUSA? I ask, because if it is the dealer, then you can probably get the same deal with or without USAA, if you drive a hard bargain. If it is MBUSA, then the USAA incentive should be in addition to anything negotiated with the dealer, right? Same would go for the MB Club of America, which I believe offers incentives on new MB, after you have been a member for over a year.
I am guessing the $2,500 comes to USAA through their TRUECAR affiliation. One Dealer I worked with was adamant they would not combine discounts, such as this, with an additional MBUSA discount. I ended up purchasing a CPO 550SL, from a different dealer, with just 1,800 miles on it for a $40K discount off the original MSRP. First time I have purchased a "used" car in 50 years. I'm a big time CPO fan now and in the future.
fun33 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
ygmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 429
Liked 45 Times in 42 Posts
2015 E400
you have to buy car thru USAA and one of its no haggle dealer...

so you pick the car - they show the price based on dealer price and any and all discounts.
ygmn is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Huntington NY
Posts: 1,417
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Kinda...
Originally Posted by ygmn View Post
you have to buy car thru USAA and one of its no haggle dealer...

so you pick the car - they show the price based on dealer price and any and all discounts.
That is not true. The USAA discount Streamliner is talking about is available at all US dealers. I have used it several times (I want to say it was around $4500 for my last S class- but that was in 2015). It is on top of all other discounts and rebates and is paid by MBUSA. I don't know if USAA reimburses MB for part or all of the discount though.
emilner is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,717
Liked 357 Times in 272 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by ygmn View Post
you have to buy car thru USAA and one of its no haggle dealer...

so you pick the car - they show the price based on dealer price and any and all discounts.
Not true. Any USAA member can download a certificate and use it at any MB dealer. I’ve done this three times now.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 11:30 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
ygmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 429
Liked 45 Times in 42 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Not true. Any USAA member can download a certificate and use it at any MB dealer. I’ve done this three times now.
Sorry yes there are two ways to purchase as USAA gets manufacturer discounts and some dealers are in the USAA network and offer no haggling pricing online using cert and other discounts.

I have not used it as USAA dealers are hours away from me but I do use their online shopping tools to research models and pricing
ygmn is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 12:41 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 48
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Not true. Any USAA member can download a certificate and use it at any MB dealer. I’ve done this three times now.
In my experience, this is true; however, all the dealers I have contacted would not accept the USAA certificate AND combine it with an MBUSA program. They would accept one or the other but not both. I continue to find CPO extremely low mileage (under 2,500 miles) 1-2-year-old models an unbeatable buying opportunity. I'm continually amazed that so many people would purchase any MB vehicle and offer it for resale after putting less than 2,500 miles on it. I'm a buy it and drive it for 10 years kind of guy - I average 5-7 thousand miles per year on my cars.
fun33 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 12:43 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Huntington NY
Posts: 1,417
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Kinda...
Originally Posted by fun33 View Post
In my experience, this is true; however, all the dealers I have contacted would not accept the USAA certificate AND combine it with an MBUSA program. They would accept one or the other but not both. I continue to find CPO extremely low mileage (under 2,500 miles) 1-2-year-old models an unbeatable buying opportunity. I'm continually amazed that so many people would purchase any MB vehicle and offer it for resale after putting less than 2,500 miles on it. I'm a buy it and drive it for 10 years kind of guy - I average 5-7 thousand miles per year on my cars.
I've used it 4 or 5 times and I have never had a dealer balk- it's coming from MB, the dealer isn't paying it...
emilner is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,717
Liked 357 Times in 272 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
OK, so let’s take this a bit further: you order a car from a dealer and at that point, the dealer agrees to an 8.5% discount. Then, when the car arrives, you give them your USAA certificate and get another $500.00 to $4500.00 off, depending on the incentive offered at that time, correct? So, if MBUSA is covering the cost of the USAA incentive, what do we feel the chances are that you can also get some “Customer Retention” money that MBUSA has promised?
Streamliner is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 03:53 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Huntington NY
Posts: 1,417
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Kinda...
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
OK, so let’s take this a bit further: you order a car from a dealer and at that point, the dealer agrees to an 8.5% discount. Then, when the car arrives, you give them your USAA certificate and get another $500.00 to $4500.00 off, depending on the incentive offered at that time, correct? So, if MBUSA is covering the cost of the USAA incentive, what do we feel the chances are that you can also get some “Customer Retention” money that MBUSA has promised?
I usually negotiate the final price with all of the available public rebates (ones that are available to all) and then say plus I have USAA. I did see a bit of disappointment once. I think mainly because the manager believed he could have sold the car for more money knowing there was another big discount available. Once you get to that number I think that is it though.
emilner is offline  
The following users liked this post: emilner
Streamliner (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Isawelvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 459
Liked 41 Times in 39 Posts
2015 ML350 4matic, 2016 Outback
Im a CPO fan too, only way to go.
Isawelvis is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 09:16 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
The Thomas J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 542
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
USAA offers incentives to new car buyers, some MB up to $2,500.00. I wonder who coughs up this money. Is it the dealer or MBUSA? I ask, because if it is the dealer, then you can probably get the same deal with or without USAA, if you drive a hard bargain. If it is MBUSA, then the USAA incentive should be in addition to anything negotiated with the dealer, right? Same would go for the MB Club of America, which I believe offers incentives on new MB, after you have been a member for over a year.
PENFED has this affiliation too. While I have not used it for my last two purchases even though I financed through PENFED, I may consider it next time I am in the market.
The Thomas J is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 48
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
OK, so let’s take this a bit further: you order a car from a dealer and at that point, the dealer agrees to an 8.5% discount. Then, when the car arrives, you give them your USAA certificate and get another $500.00 to $4500.00 off, depending on the incentive offered at that time, correct? So, if MBUSA is covering the cost of the USAA incentive, what do we feel the chances are that you can also get some “Customer Retention” money that MBUSA has promised?
It doesn't cost us two cents to ask. The worst thing that could happen is the dealer says "no". You'll never know if you don't give it a try.
fun33 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,717
Liked 357 Times in 272 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by fun33 View Post
It doesn't cost us two cents to ask. The worst thing that could happen is the dealer says "no". You'll never know if you don't give it a try.
Oh, you can be sure I will ask. I will be hitting them with everything I can find. However, knowing where the discounts come from, I’ll know when they are BSing me and when they are not.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:44 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 44
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Oh, you can be sure I will ask. I will be hitting them with everything I can find. However, knowing where the discounts come from, I’ll know when they are BSing me and when they are not.
Morgan Stanley offers the same thing through their Reserved Living & Giving program. Per their website: "Incentives may be combined with most leas and finance offers advertised. Offer may not be combined with other incentive programs. Special program incentives may not be eligible for use in conjunction with most other retail programs currently offered at the time of delivery. Please confirm compatibility with your local dealership."

So now that we've cleared that up....
RoseyPSU is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Where do USAA incentives come from?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: