MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   W222 Wheel nut socket (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/737814-w222-wheel-nut-socket.html)

sclass350d 03-06-2019 09:15 AM

W222 Wheel nut socket

Getting close to that time to put new shoes on my S 350d w222. The car came with continental contact sport 2, rear need replacing after 13k miles still about 1500 - 2000 miles left on the front.

Think i'm gonna try michelin pilot sport 4s this time, any recommendations much appreciated.

Now onto my question I've read conflicting reports about what socket to use to remove the lug nuts, some say a standard 17mm is fine others say this will damage the nut. I called my local dealer ship they told there is a special socket which they dont sell and dont know where to source it... most helpful :(

I found this online ... looks about right, but its only listed for c & e classes...

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/6247

joeyb1000 03-06-2019 12:41 PM

yes, you need a special tool. I bought

Sunex 2714 1/2-Inch Drive 17mm Covex Extra Thin Wall Mercedes Benz Wheel Lug Socketfrom amazon.

seamus2154 03-06-2019 12:51 PM

That Sunex is a nice socket and fits perfectly. But I have a nylon coated 17mm rug socket from my other German cars and it works perfectly. Its a stainless steel cap and doesn't look damaged from the 17mm to me. If you buy the sunex I would wrap a single layer of duct tape on the outside to protect the rim...which is why I use the specific nylon coated lug socket. Sometimes you spin off and touch the rim.

Oh, I just noticed your link is what I am talking about having the coating to protect the rim. Thats it!!

Nice Ride 03-06-2019 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by joeyb1000 (Post 7698757)
yes, you need a special tool. I bought

Sunex 2714 1/2-Inch Drive 17mm Covex Extra Thin Wall Mercedes Benz Wheel Lug Socketfrom amazon.

What about this one?

seamus2154 03-06-2019 07:52 PM

This topic had me buy this one today: Free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protective-...72.m2749.l2649

MBS63AMG 03-06-2019 09:05 PM

17mm will work. I use BF Goodrich tires. I keep 50 pounds in all 4 tires all the time. I get 30,000+ miles on a set . I have staggered wheels. I now have 64,000 miles on my car. Car drives and feels great. Less pressure equals less miles. I keep 50 pounds in each tire of my Honda Goldwing and I get 15, 000 + miles on each pair of tires. My friends get less than 8,000. Why they don't take my advice is beyond me. Been doing this for 20+ years.

Nice Ride 03-06-2019 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG (Post 7699196)
17mm will work. I use BF Goodrich tires. I keep 50 pounds in all 4 tires all the time. I get 30,000+ miles on a set . I have staggered wheels. I now have 64,000 miles on my car. Car drives and feels great. Less pressure equals less miles. I keep 50 pounds in each tire of my Honda Goldwing and I get 15, 000 + miles on each pair of tires. My friends get less than 8,000. Why they don't take my advice is beyond me. Been doing this for 20+ years.

What is the Max Pressure of your tires?
Is that Cold Pressure?

I usually run 5 over recommended.

seamus2154 03-06-2019 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG (Post 7699196)

It's commonly known in trucking that higher pressure will get you better mileage on fuel and tires but there is a line. Thats why we see so many truck blowouts on the road. Hard to figure load and heat when on that edge. I think because you have kept a quality tire you have gotten away with it but I wouldn't say its safe. There is a lot of info out there explaining the issues of low and high pressure. Both are dangerous. Both give you the wrong contact patch and handling issues. Thats why there is a recommended pressure for the weight and handling of the car. Low pressure does wear tires considerably more I agree. I also hate my runflats because they are so hard. I want the comfort of the tire at a safe level. The most I go over for road trips is 5 psi. We get 100 degree weather here and 80 mph is slow on our Turnpike. So running max tire pressure here at 90 mph I feel would be unsafe.

Quadrobenz 03-07-2019 03:26 PM

I just looked at the sidewall of my Conti 5P tires. The Max cold inflation pressure is 51PSI. MB recommends 39/39 up to 155MPH, 49/51 up to 186MPH, all with full rated load in the car. I use 45/39 for normal use, 2 passengers. That is above the MB recommended pressures for light loads.

seamus2154 03-07-2019 07:47 PM

Max tire pressure on the tire means nothing as related to the car. The recommended tire pressures loaded and for speed are all that should be used as recommended by MB. That is if you are using the OEM tire when those recommendations were made and tested. If you switch brands then you have to follow the brands recommendation. This is how Ford had all the blowout issues with the explorer years ago. The difference was manufacture recommended and then tire brand recommended PSI.....they were wrong and lawsuits ensued after many deaths.

sclass350d 03-09-2019 03:38 PM

Not having the best time with my sclass for sure, posted already here about moisture in both headlights waiting for a gel pack install later this month.

Today I finally got around to getting two new rear tyres fitted, only to find they marked both alloys, take a look on here:

https://alloydamage.blogspot.com/201...arch-2019.html

Not a good day for sure, naturally the manager started with "we noticed some marks before we started our work"..... which is total nonsense as both rims were mark free.

Luckily I took detailed photos prior to letting them work on it so now starts the blame game. :( :( :(

seamus2154 03-09-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sclass350d (Post 7701310)
Not having the best time with my sclass for sure, posted already here about moisture in both headlights waiting for a gel pack install later this month.

Today I finally got around to getting two new rear tyres fitted, only to find they marked both alloys, take a look on here:

https://alloydamage.blogspot.com/201...arch-2019.html

Not a good day for sure, naturally the manager started with "we noticed some marks before we started our work"..... which is total nonsense as both rims were mark free.

Luckily I took detailed photos prior to letting them work on it so now starts the blame game. :( :( :(

So hard to find a competent tire shop. With all the fancy rims and low profile tires along with rubber band runflats I am still shocked at how few a shops there are that have the right equipment and skilled techs to keep up with todays cars. Most of the shops have 1980's tire machines! Like they are working on steel rims these day??? Yes, but not many.

I leave nothing to chance when having tires dismounted. I ask for an inspection and agreement of condition prior. I did have a mark once and the tech stopped in his tracks before dismounting the tire and came right out and told me to look at it before he started. I'd call bulls##t on your guy.

sclass350d 03-10-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 7701513)
So hard to find a competent tire shop. With all the fancy rims and low profile tires along with rubber band runflats I am still shocked at how few a shops there are that have the right equipment and skilled techs to keep up with todays cars. Most of the shops have 1980's tire machines! Like they are working on steel rims these day??? Yes, but not many.

I leave nothing to chance when having tires dismounted. I ask for an inspection and agreement of condition prior. I did have a mark once and the tech stopped in his tracks before dismounting the tire and came right out and told me to look at it before he started. I'd call bulls##t on your guy.

Cheers for the reply Seamus, you must have a connection with the emerald isle with a name like that? Im a paddy too :):)

So Im not alone with this issue, pre-inspection a must for me no matter what work Im having done in future.

was gonna ask for it this time but this particular company came highly recommend so I didnt do it.... kicking myself now but at least I have photos.

seamus2154 03-10-2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by sclass350d (Post 7701739)
Cheers for the reply Seamus, you must have a connection with the emerald isle with a name like that? Im a paddy too :):)

So Im not alone with this issue, pre-inspection a must for me no matter what work Im having done in future.

was gonna ask for it this time but this particular company came highly recommend so I didnt do it.... kicking myself now but at least I have photos.

It happens, a learning lesson. Even when I am at the dealer I ask them to walk around the car with me and note condition. I am not playing that game afterwards.
Yes Sir, first generation born here, family from county Clare, actually going over in July for my first trip to Ireland! Really looking forward to it. Be well my friend and good luck with the repair.