S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

INSANE Interior with S class Maybach 2019

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Streamliner
You know, this whole Maybach discussion reminds me of the old “Duck Test:” If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck! The S560 Maybach looks like an S560, but a bit longer. It drives pretty much exactly like a regular S560, but it’s a bit slower, as it is hauling around a bit bigger body and is damn near impossible to easily park in a metro area. It has the same engine, same other mechanicals, pretty much the same interior, but it has more rear seat leg room and comes in some different colors. It has the same trunk, doesn’t come with a spare and to 99.9% of the folks out there, it looks just like any other S560. It IS a duck! That said, when I can no longer drive myself, I would love to be DRIVEN in an extended wheelbase S Class, better known as the Maybach. Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!
So using your "duck" logic, The E class looks like an S but is a little bit shorter, it drives and handles the same as an S , have Mercedes engines, same mechanics, pretty much the same interior, a little smaller trunk, a little less leg room, has similar colors, has the same options, doesn't come with a spare and to 99% of the folks out there, looks like an S. It MUST be a duck! Quick, someone take the E off, we're ALL driving S class cars! The S is nothing more than a tarted up E with a little more gingerbread on it. Love the "duck" logic.

ps. The day 99% looking at a Maybach versus a S560 and can't tell the difference (just the grill alone) it's time we all go into the optometry business. Just open up the doors and peek in! Just how many classes do you think Mercedes needs? Do they really need to give the Maybach yet another class designation to distinguished it apart from it's other vehicles? Who's the ones hung up on the marketing?

Last edited by rustybear3; 04-12-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Unlike the past models, there is a Mercedes star sitting on the grill and an S designation on the back. It is an S-Class 100%. The flagship at this point is the AMG S65, not the Maybach. And the S65 is an S-Class just like the S650 is S650. There is no other point of view...
You know, next I'm going to hear the argument that the AMG S65 is just a S450 or S560 with a little more power at $233,00 and that they're all similar well...because...S class. How many "classes" does Mercedes have to come up with to satisfy the fact that the Maybach, the AMG S65, and other models are just that....different models apart from others. "S" class is simply a Mercedes designation for all it's full size vehicles; it doesn't mean they are all same models with minor differences. Geez!

Last edited by rustybear3; 04-12-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stever500
You guys arguing about back and forth about all this is a trip. The quality of our problems today... Bottom line is whatever it's called, whatever it's badged as, whatever was before vs. what is now, this new car is still pretty kick a$$. Totally sweet machine for folks looking for exactly this. If I had a wife that said "honey, PLEASE, can we just get the Maybach?" I'd say... "honey, let's do it!"

Fortunately, I live alone, have no GF or wife for now and can do whatever the hell I want. For better... or for worse.
Finally...a guy who gets it!! It's a special car, that if I had the room, could afford it, would love to have it. I love when posters try to put it down as just any S class with a little more gingerbread, then tick off all the differences and make them out to be insignificant.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
My opinion is that Maybach, like AMG, is a specialized version of a given model. The S560/650 Maybach is a very nice version of the class which is denoted on the trunk. S-Class.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by rustybear3
You know, next I'm going to hear the argument that the AMG S65 is just a S450 or S560 with a little more power at $233,00 and that they're all similar well...because...S class. How many "classes" does Mercedes have to come up with to satisfy the fact that the Maybach, the AMG S65, and other models are just that....different models apart from others. "S" class is simply a Mercedes designation for all it's full size vehicles; it doesn't mean they are all same models with minor differences. Geez!
You really seem to struggle of how Mercedes models work. Hence your confusion in this thread.

The S-Class is the luxury class of MB cars. It is a family of cars just like the E-Class. It includes the sedans, coupes and convertibles. AMG model and Maybach models of the same designation are falling under the same family.
There is no other interpretation wether you disagree or not.

I regards to your S-Class being tarted up E-Class comment; the S-Class is a luxury car, the E-class is not. In any trim shape, form or price. The E-Class is a step down from the S and designed that way. It's not to make you feel bad (I have an E-Class too) but the E-class was designed for a different customer demographic. This is why MB sells the 5 E-Class models for every S-Class. It used to be more E-class models but SUV's have changed those numbers.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Yes, mass confusion.

M
Old 04-12-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You really seem to struggle of how Mercedes models work. Hence your confusion in this thread.

The S-Class is the luxury class of MB cars. It is a family of cars just like the E-Class. It includes the sedans, coupes and convertibles. AMG model and Maybach models of the same designation are falling under the same family.
There is no other interpretation wether you disagree or not.

I regards to your S-Class being tarted up E-Class comment; the S-Class is a luxury car, the E-class is not. In any trim shape, form or price. The E-Class is a step down from the S and designed that way. It's not to make you feel bad (I have an E-Class too) but the E-class was designed for a different customer demographic. This is why MB sells the 5 E-Class models for every S-Class. It used to be more E-class models but SUV's have changed those numbers.
You have a real problem separating your classes from your models. The C is Mercedes line of luxury compact models, The E is Mercedes lineup of midsize luxury executive models, and the S the full size lineup of Luxury flagship models. The class designations are more or less designations of the various sizes of the car models themselves....the models all being separate and distinct. Don't tell Mercedes that only one class is luxury and the rest not. Mercedes is a luxury car manufacturer and considers all it's cars luxury models. Even Kelly Blue Book, Carmax and others considers all Mercedes, luxury vehicles.

To wit: "The C-Class is available in Luxury trims. Luxury models have the star in its traditional place atop the grille, and as you might expect, these models put greater emphasis on driver and passenger comfort."

Mercedes websites refer to E class vehicles as "conveying the air of luxury and style alike". Of course dealerships advertise them as luxury vehicles as well.

You want to consider you car your car just a car and not a luxury car, that's on you. Top Speed says: "The Mercedes-AMG E63 S is a growling, snorting, roaring monster designed to haunt your dreams.
While the E Class upon which it is based is a sedate, elegant luxury car, the folks at AMG have more sinister intentions for the midsize car".

For the majority of us owners from A class forward, we consider our cars luxury vehicles that bear the Mercedes Benz nomenclature. Just as my lowest model Cadillac ATS was touted as a luxury sports vehicle.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

You have a real problem separating your classes from your models. The C is Mercedes line of luxury compact models, The E is Mercedes lineup of midsize luxury executive models, and the S the full size lineup of Luxury flagship models. The class designations are more or less designations of the various sizes of the car models themselves....the models all being separate and distinct. Don't tell Mercedes that only one class is luxury and the rest not. Mercedes is a luxury car manufacturer and considers all it's cars luxury models. Even Kelly Blue Book, Carmax and others considers all Mercedes, luxury vehicles.

To wit: "The C-Class is available in Luxury trims. Luxury models have the star in its traditional place atop the grille, and as you might expect, these models put greater emphasis on driver and passenger comfort."

Mercedes websites refer to E class vehicles as "conveying the air of luxury and style alike". Of course dealerships advertise them as luxury vehicles as well.

You want to consider you car your car just a car and not a luxury car, that's on you. Top Speed says: "The Mercedes-AMG E63 S is a growling, snorting, roaring monster designed to haunt your dreams.
While the E Class upon which it is based is a sedate, elegant luxury car, the folks at AMG have more sinister intentions for the midsize car".

For the majority of us owners from A class forward, we consider our cars luxury vehicles that bear the Mercedes Benz nomenclature. Just as my lowest model Cadillac ATS was touted as a luxury sports vehicle.
Marketing vs car classifications.
It is natural that Mercedes as a brand classifies everything they build as a luxury car compared to other brands. Even the A-Class will be the luxurious compact. In Germany, of course a compact would be the Smart Car

But in Germany there are clear definitions on car classes based on the equivalent of the DMV in Germany (Kraftfahrt Bundesamt).

The E-Class is "obere Mittelklasse" - upper middle-class
The C-Class is "Mittelklasse" - middle-class
The S-Class is "Oberklasse" - Upper-class (aka luxury-class)

S-Class does not stand for full-size vs e-Class being mid-size.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Just to show I am not making this up. Here is a snapshot of Germany prime auto-mag AMS (https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/oberklasse/):

Old 04-12-2019, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
Rusty, for those who want the ultimate in luxury, the S-Class cannot be beat, at the given price point. Case in point - on our E-Class cars, the lower third of the door card is hard plastic. I can only hope that is not the case on the S.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,402 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
[QUOTE=hyperion667;7730763][/QUOTE
My thoughts exactly! I think someone here has been snorting a bit too much iocane powder! Probably from Guilder!
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (04-13-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Marketing vs car classifications.
It is natural that Mercedes as a brand classifies everything they build as a luxury car compared to other brands. Even the A-Class will be the luxurious compact. In Germany, of course a compact would be the Smart Car

But in Germany there are clear definitions on car classes based on the equivalent of the DMV in Germany (Kraftfahrt Bundesamt).

The E-Class is "obere Mittelklasse" - upper middle-class
The C-Class is "Mittelklasse" - middle-class
The S-Class is "Oberklasse" - Upper-class (aka luxury-class)

S-Class does not stand for full-size vs e-Class being mid-size.
Your link is dead. Now you are resorting to apples and oranges. Being German, I'm well aware of German Federal classifications. You're now citing German Federal authorities classifications for tax purposes as distinguished by the price of the car. According to them both E and S class are both considered luxury vehicles. As distinguished by Upper Middle class and Upper Class designations respectfully. Your designations were correct except for the fact that you forgot conveniently to list E-Class "obere Mittelklasse" as aka mid level luxury cars.

That's not to say that Mercedes doesn't market and classify all their models as luxury vehicles; they do. Even you admit as much now. Regardless of whether one considers a C class as not being luxury, throughout MB's advertising and websites the E is considered their executive mid size luxury car and S, their full size flagship luxury line. That's a size and price designation if I ever saw one. Das Buch Auto Show explains this:

Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Your link is dead. Now you are resorting to apples and oranges. Being German, I'm well aware of German Federal classifications. You're now citing German Federal authorities classifications for tax purposes as distinguished by the price of the car. According to them both E and S class are both considered luxury vehicles. As distinguished by Upper Middle class and Upper Class designations respectfully. Your designations were correct except for the fact that you forgot conveniently to list E-Class "obere Mittelklasse" as aka mid level luxury cars.

That's not to say that Mercedes doesn't market and classify all their models as luxury vehicles; they do. Even you admit as much now. Regardless of whether one considers a C class as not being luxury, throughout MB's advertising and websites the E is considered their executive mid size luxury car and S, their full size flagship luxury line. That's a size and price designation if I ever saw one. Das Buch Auto Show explains this:

Sorry to burst your bubble but 36K is hardly luxury. We live in a time in which every brand in the world seems to be a self proclaimed luxury brand. In the case of the E, I have driven several as loaners and cannot for the life of me consider them to be true luxury cars. A decent daily driver around town fine, but thats it. I could care less what the German Federation says. The only E worth getting is the 63, period. Entry level E comes with lightweight and inferior plastics, MB tex (not leather), and to me a hollow feeling that one would never experience in an S. You actually have to spend quite some money to get it to an acceptable level of comfort. Comparing the two is apples and oranges. Also, I was appalled at the skimpy windshield wipers the E comes with as std. I believe you need to upgrade to a certain package to get a real MB caliber wiper blade.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,402 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Can I get a show of hands here???

I vote that we all unsubscribe from this thread and wish our bear friend “Happy Trails” in his ultra luxury ride. Nothing anyone can say is going to sway this guy, so I, for one, am going to cut bait. Catch ya’ll a little further on down the trail. Or, as my friend Bruce once said: “Yippie Ki Yay ____________!”

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
hyperion667 (04-13-2019), places (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you are German then why are we talking about this?
Every child in Germany knows what I have explained ad nauseam...

Hmm. Link works for me...

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by places
Sorry to burst your bubble but 36K is hardly luxury. We live in a time in which every brand in the world seems to be a self proclaimed luxury brand. In the case of the E, I have driven several as loaners and cannot for the life of me consider them to be true luxury cars. A decent daily driver around town fine, but thats it. I could care less what the German Federation says. The only E worth getting is the 63, period. Entry level E comes with lightweight and inferior plastics, MB tex (not leather), and to me a hollow feeling that one would never experience in an S. You actually have to spend quite some money to get it to an acceptable level of comfort. Comparing the two is apples and oranges. Also, I was appalled at the skimpy windshield wipers the E comes with as std. I believe you need to upgrade to a certain package to get a real MB caliber wiper blade.
Not my bubble Bub, go argue with the Germans. Go argue with Mercedes. Let's see $50,000+.... to have a little extra legroom and leather in the S Class versus the E. Two practically identical, luxury cars. Ummmm...I'll go with the E and pocket the extra ca$h.

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Can I get a show of hands here???

I vote that we all unsubscribe from this thread and wish our bear friend “Happy Trails” in his ultra luxury ride. Nothing anyone can say is going to sway this guy, so I, for one, am going to cut bait. Catch ya’ll a little further on down the trail. Or, as my friend Bruce once said: “Yippie Ki Yay ____________!”

Great! You've lost the argument and going to cut bait. Wise move. Especially that "duck" analogy...priceless! I still chuckle over that fail. Happy Trails to you also, my friend, in your singular super bestest luxury car in the whole world. Hasta la vista, muchacho.

If you are German then why are we talking about this?
Every child in Germany knows what I have explained ad nauseam...

Hmm. Link works for me...
Really? That's the best you can do after I deflated your flawed analogy? You're right; only german children could misconstrue what you posted that badly.

Your link still a dead end.

Last edited by rustybear3; 04-13-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:50 AM

Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
You can't beat the comfort, ride, and luxuriousness of the Maybach! For rear passengers, it's unparalleled by any available Mercedes as far as comfort and amenities. The different color combinations and interiors available only on the Maybach is dizzying! It is in a class by itself!

You can give any car the Maybach interior treatment , lol .

Old 04-13-2019, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Really? That's the best you can do after I deflated your flawed analogy? You're right; only german children could misconstrue what you posted that badly.

Your link still a dead end.
There was no analogy to deflate. I simply described what these cars are. The classes are as described and the models that I mentioned are classified as such. I don't have to search the web for some interpretation.
If the website link didn't work for you, just click on the appropriate links in the website menu. Can't be easier than that

Your opinion appears to be that the E-Class is the same or equal to the S-Class minus the extra legroom in the back and the Maybach is a huge step up over the S-Class because it has more legroom in the back?
The reality of course is just the opposite...
Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Talking

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Yes, mass confusion.

M
I'm not even trying to insert myself in this argument,
too funny......
Germancar1 (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There was no analogy to deflate. I simply described what these cars are. The classes are as described and the models that I mentioned are classified as such. I don't have to search the web for some interpretation.
If the website link didn't work for you, just click on the appropriate links in the website menu. Can't be easier than that

Your opinion appears to be that the E-Class is the same or equal to the S-Class minus the extra legroom in the back and the Maybach is a huge step up over the S-Class because it has more legroom in the back?
The reality of course is just the opposite...
You describe these cars as you see them...not how Mercedes, or even the Germans perceives them or markets them. I find it hilarious that a simple comment from an E owner such as myself about how wonderful a car the Maybach is and how it's in a class by itself elicits such sour grapes from S owners such as " it's nothing more than a tarted up version of the W222". Yet when I used that exact same analogy on saying that I guess the E is nothing more than a tarted up S you're all up in arms. The fact that you all are willing to put the Maybach down as simply just another S class car is amazing.

The fact that you all think your S models are the only luxury car Mercedes produces is only held by you. Even when it's pointed out to you by direct examples from Mercedes and even the German Federation which you cited that it isn't so, you won't shake from your flawed thinking. Deny the fact that Mercedes markets it Maybach separately all you want; it won't make it so. Deny the fact that the E is a luxury car won't make it so.

I think it's has been interesting how some of you view class distinctions in elitist terms, that you all view your S models as being miles superior to the other models...when in reality it comes down to luxury compact, luxury mid level, and luxury full size & flagship vehicles (per Mercedes). You wanna pay an extra 50 or 60 thousand for a few extra goodies such as more leather, knock your self out. Just get off the kick on how superior your class is and that the others are so inferior compared to what you have.

I happen to think all models of Mercedes are marvelous, luxury vehicles...

Last edited by rustybear3; 04-13-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Too much has been said to do another go around...
places (04-13-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie Diesel
I looked at a 2019 S63 the other day... Right next to it in the showroom was a 2019 Maybach ELWB with an identical interior as shown in this thread..... The S63 was $2k more than the Maybach.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by W222_Bob
I looked at a 2019 S63 the other day... Right next to it in the showroom was a 2019 Maybach ELWB with an identical interior as shown in this thread..... The S63 was $2k more than the Maybach.
Thats an interesting decision. What is the drivability and daily practicality of the Maybach in terms of its longer wheelbase? Anyone have Maybach experience?

Or is the 63 the smarter play?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: INSANE Interior with S class Maybach 2019