INSANE Interior with S class Maybach 2019

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by places
Thats an interesting decision. What is the drivability and daily practicality of the Maybach in terms of its longer wheelbase? Anyone have Maybach experience?

Or is the 63 the smarter play?
Katie22 is the only one I recall having a Maybach here and she is hands-on in terms of servicing the cars herself.
If memory serves it's a pre - Facelift model.

This is all a question of need. Extra performance oriented will go for the AMG and anyone needing or wanting extra space in the rear will go for the Maybach.
Anything in front of the rear seats is identical to a the same optioned S-Class without sport package (albeit minor design differences).
Old 04-14-2019, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Marketing vs car classifications.
It is natural that Mercedes as a brand classifies everything they build as a luxury car compared to other brands. Even the A-Class will be the luxurious compact. In Germany, of course a compact would be the Smart Car

But in Germany there are clear definitions on car classes based on the equivalent of the DMV in Germany (Kraftfahrt Bundesamt).

The E-Class is "obere Mittelklasse" - upper middle-class
The C-Class is "Mittelklasse" - middle-class
The S-Class is "Oberklasse" - Upper-class (aka luxury-class)

S-Class does not stand for full-size vs e-Class being mid-size.
Guess I am trying to understand makes a S450 more of a luxury car than an equivalently equipped E450 Luxury with leather (airmatic is part of the package) other than size and the attributes that are inherent with that (improved ride due to longer wheelbase and higher ratio of sprung to unspung weight)? I am assuming that the E-Class with airmatic rides vastly better than the base / sport suspension E Class given that Consumer Reports indicated that its ride quality was not luxurious. One thing that comes to mind is that the S's seat comfort and support is superior. I'm assuming that the S would also be quieter. Also the S's styling is far more elegant. What else am I missing?

BTW I agree that the current Maybach is just a stretched more luxurious version of the current S Class. I think the fact that it is still a W222 chassis tells you that.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 04-14-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Guess I am trying to understand makes a S450 more of a luxury car than an equivalently equipped E450 Luxury with leather (airmatic is part of the package) other than size and the attributes that are inherent with that (improved ride due to longer wheelbase and higher ratio of sprung to unspung weight)? I am assuming that the E-Class with airmatic rides vastly better than the base / sport suspension E Class given that Consumer Reports indicated that its ride quality was not luxurious. One thing that comes to mind is that the S's seat comfort and support is superior. I'm assuming that the S would also be quieter. Also the S's styling is far more elegant. What else am I missing?

BTW I agree that the current Maybach is just a stretched more luxurious version of the current S Class. I think the fact that it is still a W222 chassis tells you that.
Mercedes is considered the best luxury car maker in the world. The S-Class represents the best that Mercedes has to offer in a sedan. Even compared to the more exclusive brands like Rolls Royce & Bentley none of their cars come close to the technology and safety of the S-Class.
Mercedes has a brand recognition at the top-end that is key to their model strategy. Unlike BMW which considers the 7 series secondary to the 5 series, the S-Class always comes first with Mercedes, then bringing design elements to lower models.

As such, the S-Class is engineered to satisfy in top trim levels (which used to be the LWB S600) as the standard bearer. Luxury and ride comfort had to be the best. So at that point all other trim levels were options. The price spread between the S-Class models is $140,000 but the car is essentially the same. Less luxury, smaller engines, short wheel base, etc. but you essentially get the same benefits in a bare bone car. The S was never available in anything less then Airmatic, same interior minus much of the leather but full digital dash which used to be reserved to P3 package levels in the E.

The E-Class has always been designed as a mid-level car which is now more apparent by Mercedes pulling the V8 option altogether. The car used to be the bread and butter model for Mercedes, along with the C-Class. This is what sold the most. This now had changed a bit as the GLC/GLE are now sold in large volumes.
Majority of E-Class sales are E300 and downwards (E200, E220). The E450 represents the top non-AMG version and sales make up a tiny percentage of E-Class sales.

The way I look at it is that the S450 is a lower-end version of its top car and the E450 is the highest-end version of its mid-level car (non-AMG). One has to decide which one is a better personal fit. I love the look of the S-Class and like the E-class but am not a fan of the E-Class in Luxury trim. The sport grill suits that car better.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 CLS550, 2014 E350, 2014 GLK 350
Deep sea blue

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I still say that it is not much more that a tarted up, regular W222, with more rear seat leg room. Virtually everything available on the Maybach, with the exception of the grill, the V12, two-tone paint and some proprietary wheels, is available on the S450 & S560.
I have deep sea blue on my S550. Maybach is only slightly more posh than that. Mine has blue seats, not as much quilting. I also don’t have footrests or tables but those are available.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by jherrjr
I have deep sea blue on my S550. Maybach is only slightly more posh than that. Mine has blue seats, not as much quilting. I also don’t have footrests or tables but those are available.
Hmm,

This whole discussion about Maybach vs. 'S-550', reminds me of an American car company who does something exactly similar. It's literally just the "Tahoe vs. Suburban"; 2 exactly same vehicles only difference being the overall length of each other.

Every single option with the exception of 'exclusive' cosmetics are available throughout the whole S-Class lineup. I would personally love to own an S650 Maybach, but I'll give it a couple of year for someone else to eat 60% of the depreciation. I personally enjoy larger vehicles, the length and practicality is shared between the Maybach and Suburban- abhorrently large, and little to none. Point being, you are not missing out on anything if you don't own one or have the regular S560.

The picture below is of the regular S550, fully optioned out. (Now compare it to a Maybach- Spoiler Alert: No difference).
Attached Thumbnails INSANE Interior with S class Maybach 2019-292_p45_l.jpg  

Last edited by JohnDoeMB; 10-26-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 W222 W216
Originally Posted by JohnDoeMB
Hmm,

This whole discussion about Maybach vs. 'S-550', reminds me of an American car company who does something exactly similar. It's literally just the "Tahoe vs. Suburban"; 2 exactly same vehicles only difference being the overall length of each other.

Every single option with the exception of 'exclusive' cosmetics are available throughout the whole S-Class lineup. I would personally love to own an S650 Maybach, but I'll give it a couple of year for someone else to eat 60% of the depreciation. I personally enjoy larger vehicles, the length and practicality is shared between the Maybach and Suburban- abhorrently large, and little to none. Point being, you are not missing out on anything if you don't own one or have the regular S560.

The picture below is of the regular S550, fully optioned out. (Now compare it to a Maybach- Spoiler Alert: No difference).
There is quite a bit of difference. Talking from experience, a normal s class rides very differently than a Maybach. They might look the same inside but they’re not the same car. I’m not even going to mention the extra leg room because it’s irrelevant. The Maybach is isolated better from the road noise and the ride quality is much better.

Last edited by Mercbenzking; 10-26-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking
There is quite a bit of difference. Talking from experience, a normal s class rides very differently than a Maybach. They might look the same inside but they’re not the same car. I’m not even going to mention the extra leg room because it’s irrelevant. The Maybach is isolated better from the road noise and the ride quality is much better.
Is it? I assumed the noise isolation and suspension engineering were identical. Whats different in a Maybach?
Old 10-26-2019, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
I would really like to hear from someone you had owned or owns both. Would be interesting feed back.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 PM

2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Seems like a high cost endeavor to have two different systems present on these chassis'. How or why would a manufacturer do such a thing when the ultimate goal is making money? I dont buy that the two are different in the respect of isolation from the outside world but we'll see what facts present themselves.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

I ride in a Maybach S650 to O’Hare frequently and I’m picked up in a regular S560 4 hours later at LAX.
Rental though, is a different story
S650 has nicer leather trim, as passenger the engine does not make any difference to me.
Otherwise, same car.....

Last edited by absent; 10-26-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Mercbenzking
I drove a brand new S600 Maybach when they first came out and was completely UNDERWHELMED! At the time, I owned a 2015 S550 sedan, with MBC, 18” wheels and conventional tires. My opinion is that my S550 rode MUCH nicer than the Maybach, riding on 20” wheels and run flats. In addition, there was a distinct “whining” sound, which appeared to be coming from the area of the transmission, which was probably a defect that was later cured, but I did not experience anything that told me there was more insulation in the car, even though I’m sure there probably is.

It is my feeling that the Maybach is, indeed, nothing more than a stretched S Class. Even the crummy, little trunk is the same on the Maybach, along with the same, tired exterior & interior color choices. Now, they have made some changes recently, to make the car a bit more distinctive than your average W222, a new grill, two-tone paint, etc., but to me, unless you plan on riding in the rear seat and not driving the car, then there is no good reason to get the long wheelbase model, unless you just have to be able to say “mine’s bigger than yours.”

The following users liked this post:
garymac (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I drove a brand new S600 Maybach when they first came out and was completely UNDERWHELMED! At the time, I owned a 2015 S550 sedan, with MBC, 18” wheels and conventional tires. My opinion is that my S550 rode MUCH nicer than the Maybach, riding on 20” wheels and run flats. In addition, there was a distinct “whining” sound, which appeared to be coming from the area of the transmission, which was probably a defect that was later cured, but I did not experience anything that told me there was more insulation in the car, even though I’m sure there probably is.

It is my feeling that the Maybach is, indeed, nothing more than a stretched S Class. Even the crummy, little trunk is the same on the Maybach, along with the same, tired exterior & interior color choices. Now, they have made some changes recently, to make the car a bit more distinctive than your average W222, a new grill, two-tone paint, etc., but to me, unless you plan on riding in the rear seat and not driving the car, then there is no good reason to get the long wheelbase model, unless you just have to be able to say “mine’s bigger than yours.”

Thanks for the insight gents. I've yet to get a ride in a Maybach but I assume my well equipped 125k S will be identical minus some interior amenities and a bigger engine. Curious to hear other opinions.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My guess is that the V8 models with 4-Matic are probably a hot item in Manhattan for high end livery use.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by absent

I ride in a Maybach S650 to O’Hare frequently and I’m picked up in a regular S560 4 hours later at LAX.
Rental though, is a different story
S650 has nicer leather trim, as passenger the engine does not make any difference to me.
Otherwise, same car.....
That interior looks a bit underwhelming for a RR doesn't it? Also, kind of looks like a GLK with a different front end
Old 10-27-2019, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
That interior looks a bit underwhelming for a RR doesn't it? Also, kind of looks like a GLK with a different front end
I think it's a bit on the dull side although I'm sure the finishing is second to none. Personally prefer the interior of Bentley.
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
declo2000 (10-28-2019), hyperion667 (10-27-2019), Streamliner (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 W222 W216
When you spec a car with all the available options, it’s kind of difficult to believe it’s different than the Maybach.

I have been driven in a maybach from the earliest year to the current and I have found it that they always felt much better in terms of suspension, engine noise, than the nicely specd regular s classes.

It may be because Maybach has the active suspension? And the regular s doesn’t usually here in Europe. The air suspension is also worse than the active one for comfort.

The interior has felt the same to me, premium leather is the same in both. But the designo package is quite better. There’s no difference in the interior but I find the Maybach more refined overall.

I believe I read somewhere an article, well documented, they had taken a Maybach cabin apart and there was a substantial difference in the amount of insulation used in general on the Maybach cabin.

Also out of experience I find the regular s class to be badly insulated. I have read different threads on this forum where people felt the same way just by cruising down the highway.

In regards of insulation, Audi does a better job in their A8 line. I used to own a 2013 flying spur and when I first had my own s class in 2014, that car was worse in any aspect.

These are just my experiences. I still hold to this own day that everytime I drive or ride in a Maybach the car and the ride quality feels much much better than a regular s class.

[Edit to add this part here]
What I perceive as a normal s class here in Europe is different than the ‘normal’ s class in North America.
So I base my views on the market here.

Last edited by Mercbenzking; 10-27-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I looked at the MBUSA site and tried to compare a 560 with a Match 560. The only difference other than standard finishers and of course size, was the weight and wheel/tires which can easily become identical. Maybach is several hundred pounds heavier, this might contribute to a better ride but that's all I found.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by places
I think it's a bit on the dull side although I'm sure the finishing is second to none. Personally prefer the interior of Bentley.
Yes, and those water bottles look even fancier than Fiji water
Old 10-28-2019, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Yes, and those water bottles look even fancier than Fiji water
Hotel provided water,LOL.
The iphone didn't capture the interior well but in person it is much better looking and the quality of everything you touch is second to none.
Probably the best riding, most comfortable car I have ever driven after the Phantom.
Ridiculously expensive though and judging the way Phantom is priced, might be the best value as a used car.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just thinking more about this: if they do put more insulation in the Maybach, why not make it optional on the other, lowly W222’s? I’d pop for it.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S550
Exactly!

I'm also waiting for Mag-Tronic suspension to be released... But in all seriousness, I am thoroughly surprised Mercedes has not developed a
; even at a 20K checkmark option, I'd imagine it would be worth it to someone after a test drive:

Also found the website of the company who bought the Bose suspension system (they added it to a Mercedes)

Last edited by JohnDoeMB; 10-29-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:15 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
^^Oh THAT video....................again
Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 AM

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I have a 2016 Maybach and yes the interior is really nice. With that said IT IS an S Class and so I wave are anyone with an S Class because they are all really nice cars.