S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Waze, Google Maps, Spotify and Siri in 2014 S-Class

Old 04-17-2019, 12:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W222 S63 AMG
Waze, Google Maps, Spotify and Siri in 2014 S-Class

As you may know I have been looking for ways to modernize the software experience in my 2014 S63 since the built-in nav and apps are horribly out of date. I experimented with a third party CarPlay module (didn't work out) but had some success with an iPad Mini.

I recently realized I can fit a full sized (9.7") iPad in the space and I've shared some photos of this - cost was a cellular iPad with built-in GPS (I got a 6th generation refurb from Apple) and a CD slot mount ($16 from Amazon). iPad apps well suited for this purpose include Apple Maps, Waze, Google Maps, Spotify, Podcasts, Audible and my music library as well as some extra stuff like Find My Friends. The home button is within easy reach to use Siri for navigation instructions etc. and the iPad allows for split-screen apps too such as nav and music side by side.

Great substitute for CarPlay without spending thousands on a 2018/2019 S-Class.

Last edited by Mandingo; 04-17-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Where does one place their morning coffee?!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Travel mugs like Contigo fit in door holders just fine.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550
This looks intriguing. I'm thinking of waiting to move on from our 2014 S550 until the redesign of the S class is available so this might work very well on a trip we are taking this summer.

Which CD slot mount in Amazon is working for you? Is it "Universal Car Mount [2 in 1] - CD Slot Tablet Car Mount". How about power? Are you getting power from a flush fit charger in the lighter socket?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:54 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by jimgoehring
Which CD slot mount in Amazon is working for you? Is it "Universal Car Mount [2 in 1] - CD Slot Tablet Car Mount". How about power? Are you getting power from a flush fit charger in the lighter socket?
Yes, it's this mount:-

Amazon Link Amazon Link

I have a lightning cable with a 180 degree connector (can't find the order right now) so it is flush with the side of the iPad and run it through the center console trim to one of the USB inputs in the center console to keep it totally hidden. Enough current to charge normally and maintains/loses a little when the GPS and screen are on. I chose this because iOS is a little fussy about bluetooth driving directions in general - I find sometimes the audio from navigation doesn't come through unless music is playing over bluetooth. This isn't an issue with USB inputs.

Couple of photos to illustrate (ignore reflections on screen, from driver's seat there is very little glare).

Old 04-20-2019, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
That's wicked , you have already 3 displays in your S Class
Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
1. How is GPS and CELL reception down low. The coating on the glass should play havoc on GPS
2. That's where I usually keep my iPhone 8+ in upright position running WAZE for the Po Po
3. The mount for the CD player may cause havoc ($$$) should one cause the DVD to eject, add, etc.....

Nice and clean fit! Not for everyone,

Last edited by Nice Ride; 04-20-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
1. How is GPS and CELL reception down low. The coating on the glass should play havoc on GPS
2. That's where I usually keep my iPhone 8+ in upright position running WAZE for the Po Po
3. The mount for the CD player may cause havoc ($$$) should one cause the DVD to eject, add, etc.....

Nice and clean fit! Not for everyone,
GPS and cell reception are fine, haven't had a situation where I have lost either. I'm on T-Mobile. I think the 9.7" cellular iPad has larger antennas than the iPhone so I expect reception to be as good if not better.

The tongue from the mount that goes in to the CD slot isn't very deep so I don't anticipate any issues - I haven't had a disc in the CD player since I got the car so I am not losing or risking anything there.

Yes, definitely not for everyone but my situation is that I love my S63, it's pretty loaded (3D Burmester sound etc.) and I see nothing in the facelift 2018/2019's that I want EXCEPT better navigation software through CarPlay. To upgrade my car just for that will cost me over $100,000 after the value of my trade in and that makes zero sense. Being able to afford these cars doesn't mean I'm happy wasting money.

In contrast, this set-up cost me $600 and $10 a month in data and in some ways is even better than CarPlay:-

• Access to apps like Find My Friends (good for meeting my kids), Safari for address lookups/opening times, Yelp for restaurants - CarPlay doesn't permit these
  • Bigger touch screen
  • I can make FaceTime video calls (when parked, obviously)
  • My iPhone stays in my pocket - nothing to plug in or remember to remove when I enter/exit the car
  • Split screen apps - having Apple Maps and Podcasts running side by side isn’t something CarPlay offers

Last edited by Mandingo; 04-20-2019 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mandingo
GPS and cell reception are fine, haven't had a situation where I have lost either. I'm on T-Mobile. I think the 9.7" cellular iPad has larger antennas than the iPhone so I expect reception to be as good if not better.

The tongue from the mount that goes in to the CD slot isn't very deep so I don't anticipate any issues - I haven't had a disc in the CD player since I got the car so I am not losing or risking anything there.

Yes, definitely not for everyone but my situation is that I love my S63, it's pretty loaded (3D Burmester sound etc.) and I see nothing in the facelift 2018/2019's that I want EXCEPT better navigation software through CarPlay. To upgrade my car just for that will cost me over $100,000 after the value of my trade in and that makes zero sense. Being able to afford these cars doesn't mean I'm happy wasting money.

In contrast, this set-up cost me $600 and $10 a month in data and in some ways is even better than CarPlay:-

• Access to apps like Find My Friends (good for meeting my kids), Safari for address lookups/opening times, Yelp for restaurants - CarPlay doesn't permit these
  • Bigger touch screen
  • I can make FaceTime video calls (when parked, obviously)
  • My iPhone stays in my pocket - nothing to plug in or remember to remove when I enter/exit the car
  • Split screen apps - having Apple Maps and Podcasts running side by side isn’t something CarPlay offers
Looks like Tesla. I have an extra iPad Mini, I'm going to give it a try. Often I run WAZE just for the Po Po, not that I go above the posted speed limit. A suggestion, in the Low Voltage business, we some times had to use a Dual headed USB cable to get enough power to a Balun kit. So, I'm sure you have 2 USB ports. Look for a 2 to 1 cable, that should solve your power issues and actually charge way faster. The voltage is the same, it will just increase the Amps. 2.5 + 2.5
Nice job and looks great, especially since it can be removed.

Found it... https://www.ebay.com/itm/142941468538

Can you post the part number of the adapter and a photo with just the Ipad off showing the holder?
Thanks again.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 04-20-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Mandingo (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:07 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Good suggestion, I’ll try the splitter.

The mount is this one

Amazon Amazon

I’ll take some photos of the mount next time I’m in the car.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Good suggestion, I’ll try the splitter.

The mount is this one

Amazon

I’ll take some photos of the mount next time I’m in the car.
Does it come with the cup holder mount? Did you try a cup holder mount? I use CD's and DVD's. The cup holder would take away the risk of damaging the CD Changer. It is quite $$$ from what I saw on this forum.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:47 PM

W222 S63 AMG
I only tried CD mount.

Also make sure the iPad mini is a cellular model - just tethering a WiFi iPad to your phone won’t work since only the cellular iPads have GPS.

If anyone wants a used iPad Mini 4 128GB (cellular) let me know, I’m selling mine since I am now using the new full-sized iPad.

Edit: photos attached of split screen view and the holder without the iPad as requested:-

Last edited by Mandingo; 04-21-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 EQS 580 Pinnacle Trim. 2015 S550 4Matic - OE tuning, 2014 E350, 2014 GLK, Sold: Volvo XC90
Nice setup ! Please can you share the link to the mounting kits? Thanks
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Just saw the spy shots for W223/next S-Class and laughed when I saw they have mounted a center screen there too

Last edited by Mandingo; 04-21-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
I only tried CD mount.

Also make sure the iPad mini is a cellular model - just tethering a WiFi iPad to your phone won’t work since only the cellular iPads have GPS.

If anyone wants a used iPad Mini 4 128GB (cellular) let me know, I’m selling mine since I am now using the new full-sized iPad.

Edit: photos attached of split screen view and the holder without the iPad as requested:-

Question, why didn't you go with a stubby USB charger in the ashtray above. The ashtray can remain closed and the cable can run behind...

Also, I found this cable...
Amazon Amazon

and this for cig lighter

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-24-2019, 01:08 PM

W222 S63 AMG
The issue is getting audio from the iPad into the Burmester system.

If you power using the 12V cigarette charger and then use Bluetooth for audio input you will have issues hearing driving directions. The MB Bluetooth connection appears to only route iPad audio when music is playing so you will have to always be playing an audio track in order to hear the navigation instructions (at least that was my experience). Bluetooth also doesn’t give you next/previous track information.

I found the MB USB media inputs allow you to have navigation audio for those times you don’t want to be listening to music and better track control when you do.

It might be different for models after MY 2014 but that was my experience.

p.s. the iPad Mini has been sold.

As an aside, another benefit of the iPad solution overall is the ability to locate your car using “Find My iPhone”:-

And don't forget the ability to watch Game of Thrones when parked and waiting for someone ...

Last edited by Mandingo; 04-24-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Nice Ride (04-24-2019)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S63 AMG
Hello everyone. New to the forums. I just picked up a 2014 S63 and I'm loving it. I came across this thread (which I realize that its almost a year old) and thought that the ipad idea is a great one (thanks for the info by the way). Before I went out and picked up an ipad and the mount on Amazon, I tested out the USB ports with my iphone 11 Pro Max. When i plug it in via USB to either connector in the center console, the car does not recognize the phone as a media device.

When I go over to Media and Devices, it does see my phone plugged in as an iPod. When I select it, I see an on-screen error that says "No Audio or Video Files". No matter what I do, it will not play Spotify, apple music, etc... I did some reading around Google but can't find any solution except "use bluetooth".

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Also, what would be the differences if i just paired the ipad via bluetooth as opposed to USB (besides the ability to charge) ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:14 PM

W222 S63 AMG
I am the originator of the thread and I am still enjoying the iPad.

Your media errors might be because you have no local music on the iPad? It’s looking for files rather than services.

I have now settled with Bluetooth as the connection rather than USB after trying a few different permutations. The main issue was the fact that the USB didn’t have enough juice for the iPad and it would gradually drain, using the 12V outlet solves this.

The workarounds still remaining:-

Navigation audio doesn’t play over Bluetooth if no music is playing. Solution is to disable Bluetooth on the iPad and audio guidance then plays from the iPad speaker.

Track selection isn’t available from the COMAND Media interface (other than previous/next). Solution is to select tracks from the iPad.

Minor workarounds, otherwise it’s a great solution.

Also note that with the recent iOS updates the iPad will automatically tether to my iPhone when I get in (takes 5-10 seconds) so I canceled my cellular plan for the iPad so no monthly fees. Still need a cellular model though for the built in GPS.

Nice Ride (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:39 PM

2014 S63 AMG
Lightbulb

I am the originator of the thread and I am still enjoying the iPad.

Your media errors might be because you have no local music on the iPad? It’s looking for files rather than services.

I have now settled with Bluetooth as the connection rather than USB after trying a few different permutations. The main issue was the fact that the USB didn’t have enough juice for the iPad and it would gradually drain, using the 12V outlet solves this.

The workarounds still remaining:-

Navigation audio doesn’t play over Bluetooth if no music is playing. Solution is to disable Bluetooth on the iPad and audio guidance then plays from the iPad speaker.

Track selection isn’t available from the COMAND Media interface (other than previous/next). Solution is to select tracks from the iPad.

Minor workarounds, otherwise it’s a great solution.

Also note that with the recent iOS updates the iPad will automatically tether to my iPhone when I get in (takes 5-10 seconds) so I canceled my cellular plan for the iPad so no monthly fees. Still need a cellular model though for the built in GPS.
I appreciate the response. After many more searches, I found a thread on another section of the forums in which a few members discussed how the COMAND system searches the USB connected device for media files. If no such files are present, the connection attempt stops therefor one cannot use third party applications (Spotify, Apple Music).

That was exactly the case with me. I did not have any purchased songs from iTunes. So I simply went in and purchased a .99 song. I connected my iPhone to the USB and voila! the COMAND system recognized my phone and I was able to use Spotify right away.

As far as power.... did you ever try to use the double headed USB cable as Nice Ride suggested in this thread? I'm curious if that approach is viable. Although the 12v cigar lighter will sit right behind the iPad for easy cable routing, the USB option not only solves the audio issue when not listening to music, but also frees up Bluetooth (should you decide to pair your phone). Also, music clarity/volume/acoustics and overall dynamics are superior via USB.

Here's another wrench in the operation .....
Amazon Amazon
lightning into iPad, USB into center console, USB into 12v cigar lighter.

I'm sure this is more than you want to deal with at this point lol.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 S550 Sedan W222
I was able to get CarPlay working successfully with an aftermarket system. It is the same equipment and installation in the W222 (I have a C217):
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-c...play-c217.html
Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Still nothing feasible that doesn't involve pulling the dash apart huh? I'd be in heaven with Waze displaying on my Command display!

I did read somewhere that someone got Siri integrated by tapping the "talk" button twice on the steering wheel and you could just tell Siri to Use the Waze app to find directions to . . ." I figured out the latter, but don't get siri when I hit the talk button (one or twice) on the wheel.

Last edited by LAWYER2; 02-28-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:09 AM

2014 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by daviper
I was able to get CarPlay working successfully with an aftermarket system. It is the same equipment and installation in the W222 (I have a C217):
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-c...play-c217.html
Thats pretty badass man.

On another note, I got the ipad installed over the weekend with Mandingo's method. Working great.

Right now, I'm using a standard cable for power until my "U" shaped lightning cable arrives. At that time, I will run the cable properly through the center console into cup-holder cubby.

Last edited by Alex673; 03-02-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Mandingo (03-02-2020)