MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Is your S class noticed? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/742937-your-s-class-noticed.html)

superangrypenguin 04-25-2019 09:15 PM

Is your S class noticed?

MBS63AMG's thread of "is anyone interested" has been on my mind the last few days.

I'd like to pose a question.

Everyone here, as well as several people who own vehicles in this category, knows what the S class is. I full well admit when I see one, I get excited, and I gawk. It's a looker, for me, because I'm a car freak and I love German sedans.

That said, I was recently in a car with a colleague and I made a comment to him - "look at that beautiful S class". His response was "isn't that car from Blacklist? What car is it?"

That took me aback and I have been seriously pondering this topic. Do people notice your S class? Do people turn, and stare?

I try and bring myself to reality at times. A person making $40K as a marketing person somewhere has barely enough money to keep their life together. This average Jane/Joe, by my intuition, probably has no idea what an S class is, or the prestige associated with owning/driving one. To me, I've known about the S since I was 8 (parents had one).

I just don't know how the S is perceived by the general public? Thoughts? Is it somewhere along the lines of "holy cow, that's an S", or is it more along the lines of "nice car!"?

Utopia Texas 04-25-2019 09:47 PM

In the past few years Mercedes has made their line up of cars look so similar in design I doubt the average person on the road could tell the difference between a C, E or S Class Sedan. Those of us with interest on these forums can but the average person.....no.
In the 6 years I have owned SL’s the multiple family/friends visiting at my house and going out to my car barn to see my collection, not one of them knew the SL was a convertible!

superangrypenguin 04-25-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7741965)
In the past few years Mercedes has made their line up of cars look so similar in design I doubt the average person on the road could tell the difference between a C, E or S Class Sedan. Those of us with interest on these forums can but the average person.....no.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

That said I am a bit confused, and pardon the ignorance. Have never owned an S personally.

This has been the case for a while, no?

Immediate thought is the W220 and the corresponding C class for that era?

Utopia Texas 04-25-2019 09:53 PM

No, Just my opinion gleened from others I discuss automobiles with on a regular basis. Others may disagree but I believe the similarity in Mercedes current designs makes the line up look pretty generic. Pictures of A,C,E and S Class Sedans. Sure the front areas look a bit different but otherwise?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0a94f05eb.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8a545ec7f.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2511a7e3c.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3db2866a1.jpeg

Nice Ride 04-26-2019 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7741967)
I'm very sorry to hear this.

That said I am a bit confused, and pardon the ignorance. Have never owned an S personally.

This has been the case for a while, no?

Immediate thought is the W220 and the corresponding C class for that era?

Mine gets noticed...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1d597e9e6d.jpg

Nice Ride 04-26-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7741973)
No, Just my opinion gleened from others I discuss automobiles with on a regular basis. Others may disagree but I believe the similarity in Mercedes current designs makes the line up look pretty generic. Pictures of A,C,E and S Class Sedans. Sure the front areas look a bit different but otherwise?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0a94f05eb.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8a545ec7f.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2511a7e3c.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3db2866a1.jpeg

You should add the Maybach also.....

Utopia Texas 04-26-2019 07:29 AM

I assume how much a S Class is noticed is also determined by where you live. Here in the Metropolitan Houston, Texas area we have 5 Mercedes Dealerships and seeing them on the road is quite common. Also the fact they are predominantly black or white in color makes them blend into the crowd so to speak. I personally drive what I like to drive and what others think does not concern me.

Donnymac 04-26-2019 08:21 AM

Beyond a Service Advisor or a Valet, who cares? I,own the car for its engineering, performance and safety levels.

places 04-26-2019 09:08 AM

In DC there are so many black S class cars mostly with diplomatic plates or drivers. You really would not want to own a black S if you live in DC. They're everywhere.

celmem 04-26-2019 09:39 AM

Like the others here, I own a Mercedes because of heritage and technology. (I'm an engineer).
That said. I could not resist the CLS because of the unique styling.
They all look great though...

S550e 04-26-2019 09:56 AM

I work in Los Angeles and the S Class can be spotted here like a Toyota Camry in other places. I enjoy my car and it gets noticed a lot in Orange County. Neighbors came over in shock when I first bought it and getting stopped at the gas station. Other than that, it is pretty well known. My boss has no interest in it what so ever. Tried explaining to him that I can use the priority lane because my S is a plugin and he showed no interest. He drives a similar competitor but his car better competes with the S63 AMG.

teksurv 04-26-2019 10:35 AM

While i don't drive an S-Class I certainly notice them on the road and admire them. There's something about the classic grille with the star on the hood that makes them stand out.

hyperion667 04-26-2019 11:02 AM

I will say mine got noticed.......and I loved how you could actually see peoples reactions to the car.....sometimes negatively too lol. It is a good looking car and does stand out, to me, from other models just by the sheer size of the thing. There are may subtle differences that only the real cars people would notice..........my AMG on the other hand..........gets noticed :)

rustybear3 04-26-2019 11:28 AM

I think more than anything, so many Mercedes are black or white that it's easy for them to get lost in the background. Plus sedans and coupes do pretty much look the same. I have a dune silver metallic (silver/gold) E CAB that gets noticed a lot because of it's color and that it's a convertible. Plus the styling of the CAB coupled with the fact that I didn't opt for the AMG look most owners go for, makes it look a lot different from other MB cars. Do most people know it's an E versus a C or S? Naw!

Just happenstance in my case as far as getting noticed. I've always chosen a car based upon my needs and likes, and not the status so many seem to crave in driving one. I do admit, it looks sharp especially with the top down, and always draws comments when gassing up or getting a thumbs up while driving through town. But I think most convertible owners experience this more often than the hardtop owners.

2020 04-26-2019 11:30 AM

Cars are not special anymore. If you look back maybe 20 years or longer you could clearly identify a Ferrari, S class, 911 turbo, Maserati, etc from a mile away. Now most cars are very generic. Heck I have to look really hard to tell the difference between a C, E, or S class.

W222_Bob 04-26-2019 11:50 AM

If you buy a car to get "noticed" perhaps you have an identity crisis. It's not a McLaren, Pagani or a Koenigsegg... It's a big sedan that depreciates quicker than you imagine. If you want to get "noticed" I'd suggest picking up G550 Squared as you don't see many on the streets.

W222_Bob 04-26-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 7742260)
I will say mine got noticed.......and I loved how you could actually see peoples reactions to the car.....sometimes negatively too lol. It is a good looking car and does stand out, to me, from other models just by the sheer size of the thing. There are may subtle differences that only the real cars people would notice..........my AMG on the other hand..........gets noticed :)

I DID notice a new S65 at whole foods the other day.. But that's a different beast.

hyperion667 04-26-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by W222_Bob (Post 7742302)
I DID notice a new S65 at whole foods the other day.. But that's a different beast.

Ha, I'd certainly notice one of those too. I'll never forget the time I saw this killer S600 coming up behind me, when it passed there was a foxy, petite blonde behind and she waved to me haha.

1bad540 04-26-2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 7742313)
Ha, I'd certainly notice one of those too. I'll never forget the time I saw this killer S600 coming up behind me, when it passed there was a foxy, petite blonde behind and she waved to me haha.

Thats awesome.. when i was 1st dating my wife i made her drive my wrked to the balls corvette. Some penis in a 911 that thought his car was fast was revving the engine nxt to us...I told her to floor it, demolished the 911. After i told her to roll down the tinted window and give him the finger.. lmao

hyperion667 04-26-2019 04:01 PM

If you look closely you'll also notice a lot of folks looking to see who is driving the (nicer) car than them as well. You know......"who dat?"

Prochambers 04-26-2019 04:08 PM

I get noticed because of the size of the S550 automobile compared to many others vehicles on the road today! I really get noticed once I step out of the automobile and they see that my height matches the size of the car. But I drive my S550 because of the craftsmanship and performance that goes into the vehicle. Matter of fact, I like how my windows have that mirror tinted shade where outsiders can't see you at 100% while you're driving past them. They be trying hard too! Lol!

rediesel 04-26-2019 04:37 PM

I notice the S when I see them, but that's mostly because I notice cars in general. The current lineup is difficult to distinguish at a distance even if you know the similarities and differences. I have serious trouble distinguishing between the C and E on the road when they have the grill star. Sometimes I see an E with the hood emblem and briefly assume it's an S, but it's hard not to notice the size difference.

Rockland 04-26-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by W222_Bob (Post 7742302)

correct,

s450, s560, not noticeable
s63, s65, maybach noticeable

last week when we approached my 760 parked on the street in town there were 4 middle age couples standing around my car. One of the husbands said “we were just standing here admiring your v12.” Then one of the wives asked if she could sit in the rear seat. My wife just rolled her eyes. When we got home she asked me what was different about my car that people would notice it. (She knows nothing about cars :-), I think she thinks I bought another 750 )

superangrypenguin 04-26-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rockland (Post 7742707)
correct,

s450, s560, not noticeable
s63, s65, maybach noticeable

last week when we approached my 760 parked on the street in town there were 4 middle age couples standing around my car. One of the husbands said “we were just standing here admiring your v12.” Then one of the wives asked if she could sit in the rear seat. My wife just rolled her eyes. When we got home she asked me what was different about my car that people would notice it. (She knows nothing about cars :-), I think she thinks I bought another 750 )

In all seriousness, how many people know the difference between a S450 and a S65.

Rockland 04-26-2019 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7742754)
In all seriousness, how many people know the difference between a S450 and a S65.

Everyone that will stop to look at the S65 knows the difference.

And there is a reason for the V12 badging.
If someone didn't know the difference before, it will not take long for them to figure it out.