Unexplained mis-fires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Unexplained mis-fires

Over the past month I've had some unmentionable things happen to my engine. A month ago I noticed the car simply stalled after cranking it up to back out of the garage for work. Fired it back up and she ran fine all day. Then 3 weeks later, while in stop and go traffic using Distronic, a warning tone sounded off saying that Distronic now disabled and the motor shut off while in stop and go traffic. Panicked to get it started back up to avoid people from getting angry behind and blowing the horn. Fired up and ran great till I got home. At this time I started getting concerned. Then a week later (this Tuesday), I was going down the interstate and suddenly I had a dramatic loss in power and I limped it to the side of road. I went through 2 start-stop cycles including opening and closing the driver door. It then cranked up and drove like a charm for about 2 hours. Then like a miracle, it stalled and sputtered just ONE MILE away from my MB dealer !!!!! I immediately limped it into the service bay at my dealership and told them all that had happened and I was afraid to take it home. An immediate computer scan showed that the engine has been mis-firing over the past few days. I felt it was a God-send that it got me to the dealership before truly shutting down and leaving me stranded.
It's been in the shop for two days and they said it appears that it was a computer code issue as far as they could tell but that I should take it , drive it, and just monitor it carefully as they couldn't see anything of major issue. The only thing that was definite was that it had been mis-firing. Why? They are not sure.
I suggested that the spark plugs might need changing but they said they checked out fine.
So I will stay on top of this and let you guys know what comes about on it. It has 70,000 miles on it I suggested spark plugs might need changing but they said hold off on that for now as they looked fine. The only other thing I can think of is bad gasoline.

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 04-27-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I had a 2008 SL that acted just like you have described. The first time it happened was on a up ramp to a crowded freeway at 70mph and scared the crap out of me. Coasted to the side of the road and the engine started right up. Second time in my driveway just idling. Took it to my Indy and told him what it was doing and he immediately told me it was a pressure regulator/ purge valve between the gas tank and intake of the engine. He changed it out and it never had another problem. Don’t know if this is your problem but might be worth looking into.
PS- What do you like and dislike about your G90?

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 04-27-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I had a 2008 SL that acted just like you have described. The first time it happened was on a up ramp to a crowded freeway at 70mph and scared the crap out of me. Coasted to the side of the road and the engine started right up. Second time in my driveway just idling. Took it to my Indy and told him what it was doing and he immediately told me it was a pressure regulator/ purge valve between the gas tank and intake of the engine. He changed it out and it never had another problem. Don’t know if this is your problem but might be worth looking into.
PS- What do you like and dislike about your G90?
The technicians said the car needed an update on the computer. They scanned the car and found nothing significant and could not replicate the problem. I picked It up today and it ran fine. They said it could be bad gasoline. Right now , no real answers but I will definitely keep what you said in mind and I appreciate that.
The G90 is an awesome car. I've only got 10,000 miles on it but it is so quiet, runs smooth and all the features are flawless. My wife drives it mostly but when I drive it, I'm amazed at how nice this car is. I have zero complaints at this time. Genesis is building a great car but I'm afraid their dealer network is not doing enough to make the sales grow, at least in my area.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
could be ignitors going bad.