MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Thinking about an S 560 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/744215-thinking-about-s-560-a.html)

JHinman 05-09-2019 08:44 PM

Thinking about an S 560

I have been thinking about a new sedan, something suitable for long road trips. An S 560 seems like a really good fit.

i have been on the MBUSA site “building” cars. Every time I choose the nicer leather the program requires loading up the back seat with thousands of dollars of worthless (worthless to me, anyway) options. Is there a way around this? I expect there is no way around it - I just went through that with a new pickup, where some of the restrictions seem to make no sense.

Looking at cars on dealers’ lots it appears that Magic Body Control and Heads Up Displays are very unusual options. Any ideas about why that might be?

Thanks for any input!

tkelley.EClass 05-09-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by JHinman (Post 7752140)
I have been thinking about a new sedan, something suitable for long road trips. An S 560 seems like a really good fit.

i have been on the MBUSA site “building” cars. Every time I choose the nicer leather the program requires loading up the back seat with thousands of dollars of worthless (worthless to me, anyway) options. Is there a way around this? I expect there is no way around it - I just went through that with a new pickup, where some of the restrictions seem to make no sense.

Looking at cars on dealers’ lots it appears that Magic Body Control and Heads Up Displays are very unusual options. Any ideas about why that might be?

Thanks for any input!

MBC is only for RWD. HUD is not that uncommon, keep looking sir.

Streamliner 05-10-2019 12:49 AM

Yes, I’ve got the Exclusive Nappa interior and I have all those useless rear seat functions. The ONLY folks who ride back there are my grandkids! What I would give to have the option to order the best interior with non-reclining rear seats that FOLD DOWN, as available on the E Class sedans. All of those types of warts aside, including no spare wheel/tire, you absolutely will not find a better long distance sedan than the S560.

C280 Sport 05-10-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by JHinman (Post 7752140)

Thanks for any input!

Load the car up anyways. If you ever have to drive someone around let them be in the best backseat in the entire world!

fun33 05-10-2019 08:14 AM

I love my S560 and also am totally satisfied with the #805 Nappa Leather. The #487 MBC and the #463 HUD are definitely options you don't want to miss. The only option in retrospect I could have done without was the #610 Night View Plus at $2,260; it seemed like a good idea when I ordered my S560 but it has never activated (on its own) a single time in 12 months This was my first time buying an MB. I'm 72 years old and have never bought a used car in my life. After one year of ownership, my only recommendation would be to look at a CPO before you order new. I have been absolutely astounded at the number of late model MB's that are available with huge discounts that have ridiculously low mileage. We enjoy our S560 so much we purchased a CPO 2017 SL550 9 months after our S560 arrived. Got our two-year-old 2017 SL550 with only 1,800 miles on it for $45,000 below its original MSRP! The SL had every option I could ever want on it and the CPO added an additional year of warranty to the 3 years that remained from the original owner. Our S560 and SL550 are the perfect combination of vehicles for us; one for fun and one for the extremely long trips. New or CPO, you're going to love the car but I would definitely check out your CPO options before you decide.

JHinman 05-10-2019 08:43 AM

The size of the trunk is an issue for me also. I often carry a long item, and I am quite sure it will not fit in the trunk. I have to fold down the rear seat in my X5 to accommodate it.

Like Streamliner the back seat will rarely be used. My mother will rarely use it, and my dog is unlikely to appreciate the refinement.

Fun33, I have the same concern about the night vision. If it would project a warning to the HUD it would be a good idea. When I ordered my X5 some forum members said the BMW implementation would display the warnings (not the whole view) in the HUD, but thT might have been only non-USA cars.

i think I would prefer MBC over the 4Matic. I don’t ski any more and when I hunt I use my truck, so 4WD in SW Idaho may not be that useful.

Speaking of Idaho, it is a hard place to find a used luxury car. I saw an advertisement for a very nice car in Florida, but hat is a long ways to go to get a car 😕

Streamliner 05-10-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport (Post 7752347)
Load the car up anyways. If you ever have to drive someone around let them be in the best backseat in the entire world!

Yes, I agree. Just because they shove all that rear seat tech down your throat, I still highly recommend going for the Exclusive Nappa interior and everything else you might like.

tkelley.EClass 05-10-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport (Post 7752347)

Amen to this, I'm always toting friends/colleages around and get the same reaction every single time... "I'm going to take a nap..."

tkelley.EClass 05-10-2019 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JHinman (Post 7752365)
The size of the trunk is an issue for me also. I often carry a long item, and I am quite sure it will not fit in the trunk. I have to fold down the rear seat in my X5 to accommodate it.

Like Streamliner the back seat will rarely be used. My mother will rarely use it, and my dog is unlikely to appreciate the refinement.

Fun33, I have the same concern about the night vision. If it would project a warning to the HUD it would be a good idea. When I ordered my X5 some forum members said the BMW implementation would display the warnings (not the whole view) in the HUD, but thT might have been only non-USA cars.

i think I would prefer MBC over the 4Matic. I don’t ski any more and when I hunt I use my truck, so 4WD in SW Idaho may not be that useful.

Speaking of Idaho, it is a hard place to find a used luxury car. I saw an advertisement for a very nice car in Florida, but hat is a long ways to go to get a car 😕

Easy, hire Lemon Squad to do an inspection, do your research on the vin, then have it shipped! I live in RI and my loaded X5 (like 90K loaded) was from TX! S Class is from NJ. E Class is from IL.

DABRONX 05-10-2019 01:47 PM

Im on the opposite in regards to the rear seat tech. Had a 2016 750I with every option including that rear chauffeur package. It looks cool but it was useless. I even have your kids and nobody uses the tablets anymore they just use their phones. The tech is fun for the first couple times then its a thousand question on how do I do this or that? Then the constant fighting about someone adjusting someone else seat or??

Heated rear seats is the only option needed if in cool climate. The more options you get the less trunk space you have. I hate all the new tech as 90% is absolutely useless and take your eyes off the road more than it helps. I hated every time I had to do anything in the BMW it was just tech overload. Every single button you touched had twenty options to it.

Wasn't the old idea that ergonomics made you able to feel where buttons and controls were without taking your eye off the road? Now I go 2 exits not realizing I haven't looked up once trying to turn on my massage seats.

joeyb1000 05-15-2019 09:33 PM

If you can avoid all the rear seat options, you get more trunk space. If you’re looking at pictures, look for cars with no seat adjusters on the rear doors.. then you get the 19cf trunk. It’s very hard to find 560s without rear seat packages, that’s one of the reasons I went for the 450.

JHinman 05-16-2019 08:40 AM

I think the S560 has adequate trunk space for the luggage I would use when traveling (says the guy who has not travelled in anything put an SUV or a pickup truck for decades). Unfortunately I routinely carry a hard case that is approximately 4’-5” long. That won’t fit in any trunk, and it seems that the more luxurious the car the less likely it is to have rear seats that fold down.