MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   MB to reduce number of models..... (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/745237-mb-reduce-number-models.html)

Streamliner 05-21-2019 12:07 PM

MB to reduce number of models.....

FYI: https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-options-in-us

Katie22 05-21-2019 12:18 PM

Yea they definitely have a lot of choices.

Utopia Texas 05-21-2019 12:32 PM

Well, If they can pare models down enough the “A” Class and “S” Class can share the same platform and roll off the same assembly line. A robotic arm at the end of assembly can slap a “A” or “S” on the trunk so buyers can tell the difference....

All kidding aside, I do not blame MB for the changes. A company has to adapt to survive in a changing market and unprofitable models kill the bottom line.

rediesel 05-21-2019 02:21 PM

My opinion.

1. I never understood having C and E coupes/verts that were built on the same chassis, I get keeping the higher end E vs C (as long as there is would be an E63 coupe to replace C63) especially if the S is getting cut too.
2. I'd prune those GLC GLE coupes.
3. CLS would go in order to push buyers into the GT 4-door (I can't beleive the CLS is now a 5 seat and there isn't a 63 version).
4. I'd cut the AMG down to 1 offering per car.

1bad540 05-21-2019 03:33 PM

to many choices and most are cost cutting terds. Watering down the brand so the actual buyers dont want any. Small.medium large. same for an suv lineup. Not 26 versions of the same terd noone wants.

MBS63AMG 05-21-2019 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7760482)

I sure hope so. Prune it back to the Maybach, S class variants, E class variants, C class variants, GL SUV, and a couple of convertibles. AMG models only within the S , E, and SL's .
Would anyone like to see Mercedes-Benz produce a pickup truck with luxuries like a Ford F-150 Platinum???? I would.

Streamliner 05-21-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG (Post 7761013)
I sure hope so. Prune it back to the Maybach, S class variants, E class variants, C class variants, GL SUV, and a couple of convertibles. AMG models only within the S , E, and SL's .
Would anyone like to see Mercedes-Benz produce a pickup truck with luxuries like a Ford F-150 Platinum???? I would.

Yes! They could call it the S150. Ford would go ballistic!:p:

places 05-22-2019 10:09 AM

100% agree and would love to see this. Unfortunately we are in different times and it seems like MB is only concerned with getting their vehicles in every driveway so exclusivity is tossed. Would love a high quality MB pickup truck. Would be all over it.

rediesel 05-22-2019 12:22 PM

Love this thread starts out with MB cutting models and ends up with having them building pickup trucks,

A pickup built on the G platform would be sweet. The number could be it's payload capacity in Kilograms (500 = 1/2 ton, 750 = 3/4 ton, 950= 1 ton).

syswei 05-22-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel (Post 7761518)
Love this thread starts out with MB cutting models and ends up with having them building pickup trucks,

A pickup built on the G platform would be sweet. The number could be it's payload capacity in Kilograms (500 = 1/2 ton, 750 = 3/4 ton, 950= 1 ton).

They've been building one for a couple years now, it just isn't sold in the U.S.

ygmn 05-22-2019 12:46 PM

actually Nissan builds their trucks.

C280 Sport 05-22-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel (Post 7760614)
My opinion.

1. I never understood having C and E coupes/verts that were built on the same chassis, I get keeping the higher end E vs C (as long as there is would be an E63 coupe to replace C63) especially if the S is getting cut too.
3. CLS would go in order to push buyers into the GT 4-door (I can't beleive the CLS is now a 5 seat and there isn't a 63 version).

Right! This is 100% true. Why have the C and E Class coupe if its built on the same chassis? And why do we need 500,000 AMG Models? S Model, AMG 43, 35, 45, ECT.

C280 Sport 05-22-2019 01:39 PM

Basically to me MB should have
C Class- AWD standard. 1 AMG C Class in a sedan
E Class, sedan, coupe, convertible, wagon except ALL being built on the E Chassis. 1 AMG Option
S Class, Sedan and Coupe with 1 AMG Option
Maybach of course (S Class)
CLS/AMG GT Sedan whatever they want to call it.

SL Roadster with a V6, V8 or AMG option

G Wagon. The AMG versions are not needed.

ML/GLE Size suv

And finally the AMG GT in Coupe or Convertible. Along with the Project 1 as a exotic.

We can dream thou right?

GLS Full sized suv

AppleFan1 05-22-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7760482)

Personally, I'm happy that MB is decreasing the number of models. I get lost in all of these models currently.

Wolfman 05-22-2019 04:38 PM

You guys are funny. Best way for MB to go bankrupt is to listen to some of your suggestions :)

Seriously though, Mercedes has been making most of its money on niche products. Don't like AMG's AMG G-wagons or SUV coupes? They are the cash drivers for the company, apart from general SUV sales.
I see no problem for a company to introduce a range of niche models or remove models based on sales.
Since MB is global and model configurations around the world are to a greater part based on emission and taxation requirements a larger assortment of configurations is required.

One the the reasons MB is making more moves is to maintain profitable while investing heavily in EV tech and battery plants. Key for the Chinese and European market moving forward. New CEO wants to make his mark too...

MBS63AMG 05-22-2019 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by syswei (Post 7761534)
They've been building one for a couple years now, it just isn't sold in the U.S.

https://youtu.be/ZGXdjrpGeOU

Thanks for showing me that. I remember seeing it a while back now that you mention it. Not bad looking.

MBS63AMG 05-22-2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ygmn (Post 7761549)

The Nissan Titan V8 is a good looking truck.

Wolfman 05-22-2019 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ygmn (Post 7761549)

It's platform sharing but it's not just a rebadged Nissan. Fully re-bodied, complete MB interior, electronics, MB V6 engine which uses the MB transmission, re-worked suspension & brakes... Very little Nissan left. That said, no way I would buy one :)

hyperion667 05-23-2019 02:17 PM

Yes, 90 models is a nutty number of models to have. I still like my 63 though :)

Germancar1 05-23-2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel (Post 7760614)
My opinion.

1. The E and C Coupe are NOT built on the same chassis anymore. That was previously the case with the last generation. The E Coupe is Mercedes most useful coupe as far as space goes.
2. Those sell.
3. Cutting the CLS would leave a huge price gap between the E and the AMG GT 4-door which is overpriced IMO.
4. Yeah they should probably go back to and rename the 43/53 cars to AMG Sport like they did before the C450 became the C43 for example.

M