S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Surrendering to run flats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Surrendering to run flats

I hope streamliner doesn't blacklist me but I've decided to buy run flats. I agree that we should have a spare tire in the trunk and I agree that non-run flats ride better.

When I bought the car it came with 19 inch run flats. I bought a set of 20 inch rims like I saw in Europe and put non-runflat tires on the rims and in three years I had four blowouts. I had to repair the rims twice. Last fall I decided I would put the 19 inch rims with run flats back on the car for the winter and I haven't had any blowouts.

In the forums it was suggested that 19 inch rims have fewer blowouts than 20s so I decided I would buy new tires for my 19 inch rims and in discussing what to buy with the tire shop arrived on business for 25 years the manager told me that run flats are more forgiving and less likely to have a blowout if I had a pothole. Continental makes a pro contact GX SSR with a 50,000 mile warranty.

This is a bit of a disappointment to me and I understand that I can call roadside and I understand that I can jack up the car and use the spare which I keep in the trunk but honestly I prefer to not get a flat.

So for this reason I'm going to surrender and buy run flats for my car.

I imagine that Michelin makes something as well so I'm going to look into that.

The analogy that the manager gave me was that if he sat on a regular tire it would give him but if he sat on a runlet it would not. Seems logical.

Forgive me streamliner.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Perhaps you are correct for your driving.

For me, I watch for potholes and miss them. Other than a nail in my S-600 Run-Flats, I have not had a flat tire in 20-odd years.
I replaced my Run Craps with std tires. THe ride is better.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup

For me, I watch for potholes and miss them. Other than a nail in my S-600 Run-Flats, I have not had a flat tire in 20-odd years.
If you live in PA where I live there is no such thing as trying to avoid potholes. They are everywhere. I hit a pothole at the PA/OH line on the PA turnpike at 60 mph. Here is the result. Oh by the way, I drove 40 miles at about 40 mph with a this hole in the sidewall with out damaging the 19 inch AMG rim. I just wished my ‘19 S63 had runflats. I am now a believer of runflats after this incident. The damage below was on my ‘16 S550 4matic with 19 inch AMG wheels (sport package) about a year ago.

Last edited by MTrauman; 06-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MTrauman:
declo2000 (06-03-2019), garymac (06-02-2019), Nice Ride (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I had a 2015 BMW with fun flats. I put 40,000 miles on them before trading it in for an Audi A8 (they were staggered). They were the best tires I've ever had. I have no problem with run flat tires.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:21 PM

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts
2016 S550 sport, 2018 GLC300, M3, Zo7, 2021 Sierra Denali
There is an argument for and against RF's. I can really understand living up north with potholes. My attitude towards Rf's would probably be different there. Can totally understand you decision. I live in sunny south Florida where it's smooth and flat, no potholes. I hate the harshness of Rf's so I'll be going to Michelin's soon.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Driving habits

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup

Not sure where you live but I drive in NY NJ and PA and we have thousands of potholes. I average 26 mpg because I do not drive fast. Never had a accident or a ticket. If you lived here you might feel differently
Old 06-02-2019, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by e55phil
I hope streamliner doesn't blacklist me but I've decided to buy run flats. I agree that we should have a spare tire in the trunk and I agree that non-run flats ride better.

When I bought the car it came with 19 inch run flats. I bought a set of 20 inch rims like I saw in Europe and put non-runflat tires on the rims and in three years I had four blowouts. I had to repair the rims twice. Last fall I decided I would put the 19 inch rims with run flats back on the car for the winter and I haven't had any blowouts.

In the forums it was suggested that 19 inch rims have fewer blowouts than 20s so I decided I would buy new tires for my 19 inch rims and in discussing what to buy with the tire shop arrived on business for 25 years the manager told me that run flats are more forgiving and less likely to have a blowout if I had a pothole. Continental makes a pro contact GX SSR with a 50,000 mile warranty.

This is a bit of a disappointment to me and I understand that I can call roadside and I understand that I can jack up the car and use the spare which I keep in the trunk but honestly I prefer to not get a flat.

The analogy that the manager gave me was that if he sat on a regular tire it would give him but if he sat on a runlet it would not. Seems logical.

Forgive me streamliner.
Hey Phil, no worries. It’s whatever works for us as individuals. I took delivery of a new SL450 a few weeks ago. Came with 19” wheels and run flats. I’m amazed at how much better the RFT are, compared to only a few years ago. Wishing you many thousands of safe, happy, trouble free miles.
The following users liked this post:
e55phil (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by e55phil

Forgive me streamliner.
I had the same line of thought but for my wife's car.
Run flats, with their stronger side walls, are more resistant to potholes indeed and since we have them here in Chicago more frequent then on the streets of Baghdad after invasion, they are sorely needed when you don't want to be stranded on the side of the road.
In this city, a woman alone in a car disabled on the road is a deadly combination.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Received 168 Likes on 123 Posts
63 Falcon vert
RF question. At a reasonable speed(30, 40, 50)when flat, what is the remaining driving distance one can expect?