S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Odd things I've noticed about my W222 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 S-Class, 2016 GLC-Class
Odd things I've noticed about my W222 S550

Besides the harsh'ish ride, which is covered in other discussions, I've had a mostly great experience thus far... A few things I find odd...

1. The steering assist when using cruise control... I have to squeeze the steering wheel, or shake it a bit, EVERY 20 seconds when I'm on the highway. I hold the steering wheel with one hand - but somehow the system doesn't know that. It's annoying enough that I'm just not using the feature at all. Is it really this sensitive? Or do I need some sort of recalibration done?

2. The "kick" to open the trunk stopped working...

3. My keyfob stopped allowing me to open the car without taking out the key and clicking the unlock button. I've had a new battery for about a week before this started happening.

-- 2 and 3 started happening at different times. The trunk stopped opening before I had the issue with the doors...

4. There's a bit of a rattle noise coming from the side sunshades when they're up. I guess I'll just keep them down and get the windows tinted...

5. I kinda miss the "active" bottom cushion in my BMW 750Li. It definitely keeps you comfortable on long trips. I kinda wish the S-Class had the same feature along with the (very light) back massage feature...

6. Not enough air in the back seat... But I hear this is a popular complaint...

7. My windshield wiper washers only wet the outer edge of the windshield. I'll be asking about this at my next service visit.

I think that's all for now... By the way - where do you buy scents for the interior airflow?

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 06-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
you can get the scents from your local dealership. In the UK they are £60 each.
The following users liked this post:
Sal Collaziano (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Your steering wheel is fine. It responds to a motion not touch. Just give it the slightest movement and your dash light will immediately turn to green.
The following 2 users liked this post by fun33:
Nice Ride (06-04-2019), Sal Collaziano (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the replies... Any help with starting the vehicle from outside the car? I can do it through the Mercedes Me app - but I'm not aware of how to get in without the car shutting down...
Old 06-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Kick to open trunk never worked for me. Not sure if i have that capability. I have a MY 2015 S550 4Matic as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phillyfinest:
bkdc (06-04-2019), Sal Collaziano (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Thanks for the replies... Any help with starting the vehicle from outside the car? I can do it through the Mercedes Me app - but I'm not aware of how to get in without the car shutting down...
I think that's just how it works. You can't achieve what you are attempting in my experience.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbuck
I think that's just how it works. You can't achieve what you are attempting in my experience.
Interesting... So you can start the car, but then it'll shut off before you get in - and you need to start it again... Unique. :p
Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450 (on order)
Never understood this myself either...
The following users liked this post:
Sal Collaziano (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 05:45 PM

Interesting... So you can start the car, but then it'll shut off before you get in - and you need to start it again... Unique. :p
Yes, but in the interim you can get it to drive out of your garage or tight parking spot without you having to get in to it.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Yes, but in the interim you can get it to drive out of your garage or tight parking spot without you having to get in to it.
Isn't that a feature of the 7-Series?
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
CLK350
#4 - If you are still under warranty, bring it to dealer and they will replace revised set.
I did on mine and roller sounds and feels more solid when rolling up.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by akipal
#4 - If you are still under warranty, bring it to dealer and they will replace revised set.
I did on mine and roller sounds and feels more solid when rolling up.
I'll run this by them. Going up and down sounds fine - but I get a plasticky rattle sound when going over bumps while they're up...
Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
CLK350
I'll run this by them. Going up and down sounds fine - but I get a plasticky rattle sound when going over bumps while they're up...
i know I had same rattle problem
What I meant by sounds and feels different was that I think MB updated its mechanism
Now rattle sound is gone
Old 06-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by akipal
i know I had same rattle problem
What I meant by sounds and feels different was that I think MB updated its mechanism
Now rattle sound is gone
I see. Thank you. I'll be bringing it up tomorrow when I'm at my local dealership...
Old 06-09-2019, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Besides the harsh'ish ride, which is covered in other discussions, I've had a mostly great experience thus far... A few things I find odd...

1. The steering assist when using cruise control... I have to squeeze the steering wheel, or shake it a bit, EVERY 20 seconds when I'm on the highway. I hold the steering wheel with one hand - but somehow the system doesn't know that. It's annoying enough that I'm just not using the feature at all. Is it really this sensitive? Or do I need some sort of recalibration done?

3. My keyfob stopped allowing me to open the car without taking out the key and clicking the unlock button. I've had a new battery for about a week before this started happening.

-- 2 and 3 started happening at different times. The trunk stopped opening before I had the issue with the doors...

4. There's a bit of a rattle noise coming from the side sunshades when they're up. I guess I'll just keep them down and get the windows tinted...

I've always had rattles coming from the right rear area of my car. I've decided that with all the new airbag requirements, the extra wires and airbag units must be the source of the rattles. I don't know , but it's been the same whether or not the sunshades or up or down.

6. Not enough air in the back seat... But I hear this is a popular complaint...

I think that's all for now... By the way - where do you buy scents for the interior airflow?
4: I've always had rattles coming from the right rear area of my car. I've decided that with all the new airbag requirements, the extra wires and airbag units must be the source of the rattles. I don't know , but it's been the same whether or not the sunshades or up or down.
Your last question: I just bought a new bottle of air scent at my dealership yesterday. Got the sport scent for a change. $148.00 tax and all !!!!!. Your favorite cologne will work just as well but will evaporate more quickly. I just bought it from the dealership to give them a visit and to support the place.

As far as #3. If you are pressing the "lock" button on your fob twice when locking the car, the touch of the door handle won't work. This was happening to me and I finally figured it out that my wife was pressing the lock button twice on the fob. The next day, I had to use the fob to unlock the car......this may also be why the KICK under the boot problem may be happening to you.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

It's to prevent a thief from getting into your running car and taking off with it. However, it looks like the car would recognize your key fob and allow you to just drive off. I've never used the MBrace features at all so I have no personal experience with this. I do know my wife's Ford Explorer operates normally.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
4: I've always had rattles coming from the right rear area of my car. I've decided that with all the new airbag requirements, the extra wires and airbag units must be the source of the rattles. I don't know , but it's been the same whether or not the sunshades or up or down.
Your last question: I just bought a new bottle of air scent at my dealership yesterday. Got the sport scent for a change. $148.00 tax and all !!!!!. Your favorite cologne will work just as well but will evaporate more quickly. I just bought it from the dealership to give them a visit and to support the place.

As far as #3. If you are pressing the "lock" button on your fob twice when locking the car, the touch of the door handle won't work. This was happening to me and I finally figured it out that my wife was pressing the lock button twice on the fob. The next day, I had to use the fob to unlock the car......this may also be why the KICK under the boot problem may be happening to you.
Thank you. As for the lock situation - it's possible I could have hit the lock button twice. That's an interesting "feature"... I typically just touch the door handle to lock it...

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
It's to prevent a thief from getting into your running car and taking off with it. However, it looks like the car would recognize your key fob and allow you to just drive off. I've never used the MBrace features at all so I have no personal experience with this. I do know my wife's Ford Explorer operates normally.
Still seems strange that one could not unlock the doors with the keyfob without the car shutting down...

I just added #7 as my windshield wiper washers only wet the outside edge of my windshield...
Old 06-09-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
I find the trick is to kick and sweep a little to the left at the apex of your kick. This greatly improves the automatic trunk opening feature for me.