MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Will this MB OE Trickle Charger work with my 2018 S63 cigarette lighter? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/747287-will-mb-oe-trickle-charger-work-my-2018-s63-cigarette-lighter.html)

stever500 06-12-2019 12:13 AM

Will this MB OE Trickle Charger work with my 2018 S63 cigarette lighter?

https://www.mercedes-benz-shop.ca/en.../p/A0009822921

On the drop down is says it will work with a 2018 S63 but... with a cigarette lighter and then plugged into the wall A/C jack?

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-Battery-Charger-Function/dp/B00XK475LA/ref=pd_sim_263_4/147-4171733-0577048?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00XK475LA&pd_rd_r= fb18f1ca-8cc6-11e9-a7b7-eb842819f9b0&pd_rd_w=PLZzS&pd_rd_wg=M8Zrq&pf_rd_p= 90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=WYYYEKXYG5WM2Q2E1P3Z&psc=1&re fRID=WYYYEKXYG5WM2Q2E1P3Z

I read this on an Amazon review (see below in bold). I'm guessing it doesn't work like my Porsche one does? On my Porsche I simply plug the Porsche trickle charger that looks identical to this into my cigarrette lighter for months, plug the other side in the wall and it works like a charm. I called 2 MB dealers parts depts today and both said it won't work on my car. Odd... then the 3rd dealer said that it would. Weirder.

from the Amazon review: "3. It comes with a "cigarette lighter"/12V adapter, but the Owner's Manual says to only use it on cars that have a special 12V outlet in the trunk provided just for this purpose, and to not plug it into the standard/normal 12V outlets."

I wouldn't want to have to do this. I want to be able to charge my car for months at a time by plugging it into the cigarette adapter, not attached to the battery, not attached anywhere else on the car. Why can't I do this on my MB?

This works fine with my 911...

Thanks in advance.

seamus2154 06-12-2019 12:45 PM

That is a Ctek battery charger. It is about the best one out there. Many of the top manufactures have Ctek make their battery tender. I have seven cars and have switched over to Ctek on 3 cars presently after research of battery tenders. If MB sells it, then I would follow their instructions. I have it plugged into a BMW and corvette for over 2 years now with not one issue. The other car is on a pigtail off the battery which is easy enough to have installed. I run the wire out the trunk and tender on the floor with trunk closed.

roviw1 06-12-2019 06:01 PM

I have been using ctek chargers for 8 years, the one you show branded Mercedes is actually available for much less, in the UK they cost about £68 or so. I actually have terminals connected to my battery with an extension cord to come up through to the corner of the boot/trunk. Push the connector onto this and shut the lid.
I know you want to connect your one through the cigar lighter but to do that you will need to make sure that the socket stays permanently "live" once the actual car shuts down and goes to sleep.

stever500 06-12-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by roviw1 (Post 7777570)
I know you want to connect your one through the cigar lighter but to do that you will need to make sure that the socket stays permanently "live" once the actual car shuts down and goes to sleep.

Thanks but how do I do this? On my 911, it stays on and charges it for months. I don't have to do anything. I called yet another dealer today and they said that YES, it will work with the cigarette lighter. Which CTEK charger is the one that works with a 2018 S63? The 3300? I can't figure it out. I need one that doesn't need to be connected to the battery in any way, only the car charger.

I found this online...
"Is the Mercedes branded battery maintainer made by CTEK? It certainly looks identical, except for the top label. Is this a case of Mercedes slapping their label on another brand and charging more than twice what the device costs without the Mercedes label."

"The Mercedes Benz brand of charger is basically a CTEK charger very similar to the CTEK MULTI US 4.3 Universal 12-Volt Battery Charger # CTEK56353. The Mercedes charger though puts out a charge of 5 amps and this is 4.3 amps. The Mercedes charger does not have a motorcycle battery option though. They are VERY close but slightly different. For the money though the CTEK is the better option."

Oddly, the one they reference doesn't even have a cigarette charger adapter plug. Wow, why is life so confusing? This should be so darn simple.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-CTEK56353.html

Thanks,

Steve

Jud Chapin 06-13-2019 07:45 AM

I believe all S63's come with lithium ion batteries that call for a different battery charger than the standard. I would contact CTEK and see what they recommend. I'm looking for a S63 coupe now and have been told that they have this type battery. FWIW, I've talked to several MB dealers' parts dept and find them clueless about this. The reason may be that these batteries last much longer than normal car batteries and are much more, $1500+ so they probably have yet to order one.

https://www.ctek.com/

seamus2154 06-13-2019 09:35 AM

As stated above, lithium as opposed to lead acid have different charging needs. That charger may be for the S550 and NOT the S63?? I would verify the battery in your car, then call Ctek for their recommendation. I just bought the 3300 which is the all around, most popular charger, but I have a lead acid in my 2016 S550. Also FYI in the S550 there is a cigarette plug in the right rear trunk, if the interior one is not live after shutdown.

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-pa...ery-0009827710

https://parts.mboflehighvalley.com/v...rical--battery

It shows a lead battery for the 2018 S63 But says "without lithium ion" ??????? It may be vin or option specific? better check with dealer what you actually have as not to screw it up with an assumption.

Good luck

roviw1 06-13-2019 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7777800)
Thanks but how do I do this? On my 911, it stays on and charges it for months. I don't have to do anything. I called yet another dealer today and they said that YES, it will work with the cigarette lighter. Which CTEK charger is the one that works with a 2018 S63? The 3300? I can't figure it out. I need one that doesn't need to be connected to the battery in any way, only the car charger.

I found this online...
"Is the Mercedes branded battery maintainer made by CTEK? It certainly looks identical, except for the top label. Is this a case of Mercedes slapping their label on another brand and charging more than twice what the device costs without the Mercedes label."

"The Mercedes Benz brand of charger is basically a CTEK charger very similar to the CTEK MULTI US 4.3 Universal 12-Volt Battery Charger # CTEK56353. The Mercedes charger though puts out a charge of 5 amps and this is 4.3 amps. The Mercedes charger does not have a motorcycle battery option though. They are VERY close but slightly different. For the money though the CTEK is the better option."

Oddly, the one they reference doesn't even have a cigarette charger adapter plug. Wow, why is life so confusing? This should be so darn simple.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-CTEK56353.html

Thanks,

Steve

One way that may work is to possibly plug your phone charger into the socket while you are sat in the car with the engine turned off. You MAY find that after a short while the car shuts down and the charger will stop supplying power to the phone, some plug in chargers have a small LED on them, this would indicate whether it is live or not.
I mention this because in my X351 Jaguar, if I am waiting in the car and my phone is plugged in after a while the power shuts off and the socket goes off as well.
I have not had my 2015 S500 long enough to see if this is the case in the Mercedes as well.

However as I have read a few other replies on here I would also add that some of the guys are mentioning you may have a Lithium battery and not lead acid, if this is the case then ctek would need to advise what conditioner to use in your case.

Wolfman 06-13-2019 04:24 PM

Our AMG GTC came with that trickle charger included. On the GT & SLS models, the cigarette lighter socket in the trunk stays active and can be used for charging. I am not aware of the S-Class having the same feature. I would also not expect that the interior sockets are usable for charging.
Please confirm that with the SA but am fairly certain that you would have to connect to the battery connector posts under the hood, not the actual battery.

seamus2154 06-13-2019 05:18 PM

There is a cigarette lighter socket in the trunk of the S550. Right side. Need to have OP check the S63 to see if its the same, as the battery location and type are different.

stever500 06-13-2019 11:48 PM

Thanks so much for this info. I'll have them check it when I'm at the dealer on Thursday for the 4th time for engine misfire. They say that they have a software fix this time that should stop it from happening. I had a check engine light again the other day and the car got REALLY shaky and I had to pull over. Pretty embarrassing when others are in the car. I stopped for 1 minute, turned it off and on and it stopped and hasn't done it for 2 days now.

seamus2154 06-14-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7778821)
Thanks so much for this info. I'll have them check it when I'm at the dealer on Thursday for the 4th time for engine misfire. They say that they have a software fix this time that should stop it from happening. I had a check engine light again the other day and the car got REALLY shaky and I had to pull over. Pretty embarrassing when others are in the car. I stopped for 1 minute, turned it off and on and it stopped and hasn't done it for 2 days now.

I will bet it is something small and stupid. Coil, spark plug, connection. Make sure they check your battery type by VIN not a quick answer. Let us know, good luck.

Wolfman 06-14-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 7779000)
I will bet it is something small and stupid. Coil, spark plug, connection. Make sure they check your battery type by VIN not a quick answer. Let us know, good luck.

Misfire CEL's in the E63s and S63 have been a well-known issue (in the US) and had been addressed a while back with a software fix. This was pricey for MB as it resulted in a number of buy backs as they couldn't figure it out.

Wolfman 06-14-2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 7778537)
There is a cigarette lighter socket in the trunk of the S550. Right side. Need to have OP check the S63 to see if its the same, as the battery location and type are different.

Having the socket doesn't mean it's able to accept a trickle charger. I would very be careful.
I can take a look at the instruction booklet for the charger; it may mention something about models. S63 uses lithium batteries btw...

Wolfman 06-14-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 7778537)

Delete

Wolfman 06-14-2019 09:06 PM

Here is a page from the MB trickle charger manual. Even though it is a current product it references old models like the M-Class or SLR, everything is the same...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3560325656.jpg

seamus2154 06-14-2019 11:23 PM

If you look at the link in post #6 that part# is for an 2018 S63 and it is a lead acid battery. It says w/o lithium ion? So it appears the S63 can have either? That was the reason I personally would think it may be vin specific.

stever500 06-14-2019 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 7779707)
If you look at the link in post #6 that part# is for an 2018 S63 and it is a lead acid battery. It says w/o lithium ion? So it appears the S63 can have either? That was the reason I personally would think it may be vin specific.

What an odd mystery this has become. I'll know more after Thursday when I bring my car in for repair. They'll probably have it for a week again like last time but they gave me a sweet E Class that was very much fun to have. I sent my service guy all the quotes you guys wrote so he'll have everything he'll need.

seamus2154 06-15-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7779717)
What an odd mystery this has become. I'll know more after Thursday when I bring my car in for repair. They'll probably have it for a week again like last time but they gave me a sweet E Class that was very much fun to have. I sent my service guy all the quotes you guys wrote so he'll have everything he'll need.

Oh, service guys LOVE when you mention you read it on the internet or a forum!!! They about melt into the sidewalk...... LOL, Good luck!

Wolfman 06-15-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 7779707)

I am not sure why this would matter. The question is wether the trunk outlet is usable for charging or not.

The S63 has a lithium battery. That said, I am not familiar enough with the S63 to say that it doesn’t have a 2nd battery for electronics...

seamus2154 06-16-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7779993)
I am not sure why this would matter. The question is wether the trunk outlet is usable for charging or not.

The S63 has a lithium battery. That said, I am not familiar enough with the S63 to say that it doesn’t have a 2nd battery for electronics...

I agree, it should be a lithium. The battery costs 1300 dollars, I can't imagine it being a lead acid but it does say w/o lithium? It also doesn't appear MB ever designed the chargers to go anywhere but the trunk outlet.? Either way a bit too expensive not to be certain.

Moe305 08-20-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7779717)

Hi there!
I’m having the exact same issue with my S63 coupe.
Any updates on the fix?

stever500 08-20-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moe305 (Post 7832954)
Hi there!
I’m having the exact same issue with my S63 coupe.
Any updates on the fix?

The did something that fixed it. I have no idea what! I'm away from home for a week attempting my 2nd to last state highpoint right now (Granite Peak - Montana). I may have posted it in another post somewhere... sorry, I'd have to check my receipt when I get back to Maryland but they did a software upgrade of some sort and no problems since. It's been about a month.

Quadrobenz 08-20-2019 03:37 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a94276d89.jpeg
A trickle charger should not be necessary unless the S63 is stored for 2 months or more. I thought all US W222 S63’s had Lithium batteries but perhaps I am wrong. Easiest way to tell is look at the trunk well. If it looks like this (w/o the ABC Accumulator on the left) it has a Lithium battery. I routinely leave my 2015 S65 sit for 5 weeks and it starts right up with no detectable battery weakness. My S65 has the 12V outlet in the trunk.

Moe305 08-22-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7833147)
The did something that fixed it. I have no idea what! I'm away from home for a week attempting my 2nd to last state highpoint right now (Granite Peak - Montana). I may have posted it in another post somewhere... sorry, I'd have to check my receipt when I get back to Maryland but they did a software upgrade of some sort and no problems since. It's been about a month.

Glad they fixed it! I’d appreciate it if you could get back to me when you’re back

dmccorki 11-29-2019 02:34 PM

Not relevant to S63 but the S550 trunk 12v outlet is not live when the ignition is off. So per CTEK and Mecedes, it cannot be used to charge the battery without modification to make it full time live.