Please Help - Phantom Sounds!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
14 & 07 S550, 15 S8, 14 750i, 04 GS 430
Please Help - Phantom Sounds!!!

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all well. Looking for some advice on the following. Let's start by identifying the vehicle at hand.

S550 4Matic
Riding on Factory stock 19" AMG wheels (not bent or cracked) with Continental all season run flats (brand new).
Out of Factory warranty (also, no extended warranty).
70K miles

Now here comes the fun part:
I am hearing a VERY slight groaning/clunking sound coming from the front Driver (left hand) side when making a FULL and COMPLETE right turn. Let me explain the FULL and COMPLETE part a bit further. The sound only emanates when the steering wheel is turned completely to the right (to the end). Basically when making a U Turn. Simple right turns on the road will NOT trigger the sound. Going on reverse with again the FULL and COMPLETE turn of the steering wheel also does NOT trigger the sound. Only going forward. Doing the same turning left will NOT trigger the sound.

This has been checked numerous amount of times by my local Mechanic who strictly works on high end German cars (so far this car (W222), my previous W221, my 2016 Audi S8 and a previous 2014 BMW 750I x drive). This shop has always been on point regardless of the task at hand. So I have been very confident on their service. However, this time, no one could find the issue.

So far I have replaced (as per their advice) the Differential/Crankshaft/Transfer case fluids, Axel boots the front lower (rearward control arm - the one that the shock sits on) and also did a full alignment and put on new tires. THESE DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! My Mechanic took all other suspension components off, thoroughly checked and put it back on due to not finding any faults with them.

So the million dollar question is, does anyone have any other advice for me here before I take the drive of shame to the dealership? Please keep in mind that this does NOT compromise the ride quality or effect the drive quality one bit. Again, only comes at making Complete right turns. My mechanic just told me to leave it alone at this point until it gets worse. Still I would like this PHANTOM sound gone.

Any help, suggestion or just a simple reply would be greatly appreciated. Also the active dynamic seats just stop working recently and was told that the pump has failed, but leaving this one alone for now. Thought I just mention it, incase anyone has a simple fix.

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING THIS LONG AND MOST LIKLY BORING POST.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Dumb question, but ill ask anyway... Can you have someone check outside the car while driving slow to see if tire is somehow rubbing against wheel well.... Also, will the car do it in the raised position as well?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Dumb question, but ill ask anyway... Can you have someone check outside the car while driving slow to see if tire is somehow rubbing against wheel well.... Also, will the car do it in the raised position as well?

NOT A DUMB QUESTION AT ALL.

I did have this checked and no sign of the wheel rubbing. Also inspected every single suspension component on that side and none of them show any sign of any rub marks. They all look very solid and untouched.

Also, yes, it does it in all suspension settings (lifted, comfort and sport).

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate any feed back.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Sounds like it could be a bad CV joint.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 632 Likes on 471 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Does it groad first or clunk first or at same time?
Foot on brake make it better or worse?
On all road surface types?
Only when turning right?

Does it happen at all speeds? if slow have someone outside car listen and try to confirm location.
All ball joints are good?
Anything loose? Have all front end bolts checked.
Check steering stops
Check ball joints and maybe lube bushings.
Check sway bar ends

This has to be fixed by someone who gets lucky and finds what is loose or hitting
Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
You know, these are exactly the types of problems that the factory/dealer database is great for. If this is something truly wrong with the car, it has probably happened before to other cars and is documented. If it were me, I’d take the car to an MB dealer and have them check it out. Sometimes, they instantly know what the problem is. It’s worth a shot.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by superpop
Sounds like it could be a bad CV joint.
This was ruled out by my local mechanic. As he cut open the boots to inspect. So I had to replace the boots with new ones and fresh grease.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ygmn
Does it groad first or clunk first or at same time?
Foot on brake make it better or worse?
On all road surface types?
Only when turning right?

Does it happen at all speeds? if slow have someone outside car listen and try to confirm location.
All ball joints are good?
Anything loose? Have all front end bolts checked.
Check steering stops
Check ball joints and maybe lube bushings.
Check sway bar ends

This has to be fixed by someone who gets lucky and finds what is loose or hitting

groans and clunks at the same time.
Foot on brakes or not doesn't make a difference nor does road types.
yes, only turning right all the way, similar to making circles.

I hear it at low speeds because it only happens when the sheeting wheel is turned all the way to the right, similar to if I was trying to make doughnuts. So I haven't tried at high speed unless I was actually trying to do burnouts and doughnuts, which I don't think I am capable of lol. Did have someone out side but they could not locate the sound. It is more audible in the cabin.

ball joints good, all components were checked, bolts tightened and the mechanic when went to the extent of injecting grease to all bushings were applicable.
sway bars were good.

Dont know about the steering stops. Could you tell me more about this? Which parts would need to be checked? I don't think this was addressed by my mechanic as this is the first time I heard about steering stops.

Thnak you so much for taking the time and replying.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
You know, these are exactly the types of problems that the factory/dealer database is great for. If this is something truly wrong with the car, it has probably happened before to other cars and is documented. If it were me, I’d take the car to an MB dealer and have them check it out. Sometimes, they instantly know what the problem is. It’s worth a shot.
Yes, you are correct. I am leaning towards the dealership visit. Just wanted to check in here before I did. I will definitely keep the thread updated with any progress or a fix.

Thanks for the reply.