S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

What happened to remote parking pilot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
What happened to remote parking pilot?

From 2015 there were lots of articles written about the Mercedes Remote Parking Pilot feature. It was even listed in an early version of the 2019 S-class Dealer Ordering Guide. Since then it has virtually disppeared. What happened?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
Europe only due to U.S. regs/laws. I imagine if you are overseas you could possibly download the app and see if it works when you get home. But, IMO, it's gimmicky anyway and more "look what is possible" vs useful.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by flint350
Europe only due to U.S. regs/laws. I imagine if you are overseas you could possibly download the app and see if it works when you get home. But, IMO, it's gimmicky anyway and more "look what is possible" vs useful.
Suppose you have never been in a garage in Europe Absolutely essential. Parking is so tight that that parking a S-Class will be a challenge. Aisles are also tiny. Last time I parked in Munich with a S-Class cab I had 3" on the driver side to a concrete pillar and 6" on the passenger side. I was able to exit due to the space the pillar provided.
On a rainy day, your clothes will get dirty sliding by neighboring cars.
The auto park apps are fantastic...
Old 07-05-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Suppose you have never been in a garage in Europe Absolutely essential. Parking is so tight that that parking a S-Class will be a challenge. Aisles are also tiny. Last time I parked in Munich with a S-Class cab I had 3" on the driver side to a concrete pillar and 6" on the passenger side. I was able to exit due to the space the pillar provided.
On a rainy day, your clothes will get dirty sliding by neighboring cars.
The auto park apps are fantastic...
Absolutely agree with you Wolfman!

In the summer of 2017 I rented a S63 in Frankfurt for 10 days. Additionally, I did Euro Delivery on my ‘19 S63 in November ‘18 in Sindelfingen.

Parking Pilot would have been extremely useful in both of these trips as the parking with a big S Class in Europe is difficult. Although my wife called me the “rock star” parker as I am used to city driving in the US with large city parking garages with my S Class. I seemed to park the big S class with ease (good thing my wife was not driving the big S Class as she would have crapped a bird). I did have one scary moment with my new S63 just after leaving the AMG factory tour in Affalterbach when I parked my new S63 in a tight spot in downtown Bremen in a underground parking garage at a hotel near the Altstadt (old town) area. Thought I was going to lose my front bumper with a concrete pillar but I got lucky as my new car left Europe without a scratch.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
Well, I have been to Europe and IF I had my (or other) S-Class there, I may find the park pilot of some use. However, I drive in the US and don't need it here and the OP lives in Kansas! My only point was that it is, at best, marginally useful here if ever implemented as I wouldn't be parking in such cramped spaces very much, if at all. Europe is a different matter and it is available there.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
Even though I live in Kansas my wife is in a wheelchair and cannot walk. Most times the handicapped spaces are full and I have to park in the aisle (blocking it), get her out of the car, wheel her to a safe place, return to the car and put in into a parking space. Then repeat when we leave. Park Pilot would be most convenient. My previous car was a Tesla Model S that had that feature and I loved it.