Rifle mount for trunk? Lets try this again - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic
Rifle mount for trunk? Lets try this again >

Rifle mount for trunk? Lets try this again

Off Topic Use this forum to discuss non-Mercedes related items or anything that doesn't belong in the above forums.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:48 AM

2018 E300

Since my thread in the W213 section of the forum was locked due to a ignorant extreme leftist troll who felt he should interject his unwelcome opinion on a subject matter he knew nothing about nor cared to, finding a solution for safe and secure rifle mounting in the trunk of my wife's E300. I'll start over here and hopefully the man child stays away this time.

Does anyone here have a rifle secured in your trunks? IE with a locking system so kids and criminals can't easily access the rifle with the trunk open?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 PM

2007 FJ Cruiser, 2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT
I've got an electric locking clamp in the back of my truck, with a back-up key.
http://santacruzgunlocks.com/product...-shotgun-lock/

Use it with a timer and it unlocks for an adjustable number of seconds.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 AM

2018 E300
Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
I've got an electric locking clamp in the back of my truck, with a back-up key.
http://santacruzgunlocks.com/product...-shotgun-lock/

Use it with a timer and it unlocks for an adjustable number of seconds.
Thanks! Do you have any pics and how did you install?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM

I'll try to post pics tonite, though my success rate at doing so is rather dismal ever since those heathens at Photobucket pulled their crap on the unsuspecting public.
Sweet set-up though, I've got a chinese 870 knock-off which is mag-fed, wonderful piece of work.
Hidden button actuates the lock thru a timer which you can adjust, mine's set at +/- 10 seconds. Made a holder for the 7-round mag which sits just next to the shotty. Had it all Cerakoted as it sees the elements every time I open the tailgate...

They make locks for AR-type and other rifles as well, which is what I'm guessing is what you want to put back there.

Last edited by peter2772000; 05-08-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:02 PM

2018 E300
I'll try to post pics tonite, though my success rate at doing so is rather dismal ever since those heathens at Photobucket pulled their crap on the unsuspecting public.
Sweet set-up though, I've got a chinese 870 knock-off which is mag-fed, wonderful piece of work.
Hidden button actuates the lock thru a timer which you can adjust, mine's set at +/- 10 seconds. Made a holder for the 7-round mag which sits just next to the shotty. Had it all Cerakoted as it sees the elements every time I open the tailgate...

They make locks for AR-type and other rifles as well, which is what I'm guessing is what you want to put back there.
Use IMAGESHACK for photo hosting. It's free.

Yeah I want to go the rifle route. She keeps a HK P2000 9mm in the center console so it's easily assessable and faster draw than her HK USP45C from her purse. But I'd like an AR15 secured in the trunk since it will provide penetration and range that the 9mm and 45 cannot.

Here is my Truck setup. I just filmed this review.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Nice set-up bud.

Here in Canuckistan, you aren't permitted to carry a ball-point pen if it's intended purpose is self-defense. No joke.
Of course, I transport my shotty for when I go target shooting or hunting.

Thanks to a fine gentleman on this forum, I think I can now post pics. Here goes.

The lock is secured to the panel with a 1/4" steel reinforcing plate. In addition, the panel itself has been bolted to the tailgate so as to make ripping the panel clean off the tailgate very hard.

Last edited by peter2772000; 05-08-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:34 PM

'04 E55 (Totalled out), 2013 C63 P31
**** blood, I just keep that ***** on the front seat!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 PM

By the way, OP, I just noticed your name, you're the same NFA Review Channel from YouTube. I watch your channel, great stuff!
Old 05-12-2018, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
**** blood, I just keep that ***** on the front seat!
The Law (ours);

In Canada, you can ride with an unloaded non-restricted firearm (most shotties or rifles) in the front with you or hanging off the rear window of your pick-up. As long as you're in the vehicle, no problem.
If you're not in the vehicle, the firearm needs to be out of sight. If that's impossible, then vehicle locked, firearm trigger-locked or some other type of locking device.

By the way, in Canada, a pump or lever action can have a barrel as short as you want, as long as overall length is 26" and the barrel was sold as-is from the manufacturer. Otherwise, 26" overall length and barrel length of a minimum of 18". I've got a Mares Leg in 44 Mag with a 13" barrel and another one of my mag-fed shotties with a 12" barrel.
In the US, I believe that barrels length needs to be a minimum of 16", right?

PS: Regardless of the law, I can promise you that if a cop ever sees my shotty hanging off the tailgate, I'll be kissing pavement in handcuffs for a solid 30 minutes before they realize I've done nothing illegal. Our cops are, for the most part, woefully ignorant about firearms in general, as well as the laws regarding them.
They mean well enough, but are clueless.

Last edited by peter2772000; 05-12-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:45 PM

The Law (ours);

In Canada, you can ride with an unloaded non-restricted firearm (most shotties or rifles) in the front with you or hanging off the rear window of your pick-up. As long as you're in the vehicle, no problem.
If you're not in the vehicle, the firearm needs to be out of sight. If that's impossible, then vehicle locked, firearm trigger-locked or some other type of locking device.

By the way, in Canada, a pump or lever action can have a barrel as short as you want, as long as overall length is 26" and the barrel was sold as-is from the manufacturer. Otherwise, 26" overall length and barrel length of a minimum of 18". I've got a Mares Leg in 44 Mag with a 13" barrel and another one of my mag-fed shotties with a 12" barrel.
In the US, I believe that barrels length needs to be a minimum of 16", right?

PS: Regardless of the law, I can promise you that if a cop ever sees my shotty hanging off the tailgate, I'll be kissing pavement in handcuffs for a solid 30 minutes before they realize I've done nothing illegal. Our cops are, for the most part, woefully ignorant about firearms in general, as well as the laws regarding them.
They mean well enough, but are clueless.
Here in the US its similar. If it has an overall lenght of 26", you can have a stock and forward grip as long as its a smooth bore, this is qualified as a "firearm" not a "pistol", "shotgun" or "rifle" and can be purchased without having to go through all the NFA paperwork and licensing youd need for a traditional SBR or SBS. Its very murky as im sure it is with Canadian gun laws, but basically the Shockwave, TAC14, etc fal into this "firearm" classification and can have 14" barrels as long as the OAL is 26". You can even put a brace on and shoulder them legally now!

I was actually pulled over (for speeding) a few months back, and i had that shutgun laying in the floor in the back seat. The cop wanted to checkit out, he was super into it. Told me to have a nice night and slow it down Perks of The South!

And as far as carry and travel, every state has different laws. Here in Georgia you can have a loaded weapon anywhere in your vehicle if you have a valid concealed carry permit. If you have no permit i believe it has to be in plain sight, or can be stored unloaded only in the glove box and center console (not in the door, under the seat, etc.)

Last edited by G_Money; 05-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Money For This Useful Post:
peter2772000 (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 06:27 AM

"Concealed-Carry Permit" LOLOL

In Canada, there are no more than maybe 50-80 concealed-carry permits in the whole country. In order to qualify for one, you'd have to have had an attempt on your life....at least twice. Documented.
One sure-fire way to qualify is if you were killed, but that isn't anyone's favorite option.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
"Concealed-Carry Permit" LOLOL

In Canada, there are no more than maybe 50-80 concealed-carry permits in the whole country. In order to qualify for one, you'd have to have had an attempt on your life....at least twice. Documented.
One sure-fire way to qualify is if you were killed, but that isn't anyone's favorite option.
In NY you must have a concealed carry permit just to handle or purchase a pistol. Technically if I take a friend to the range who doesn't have a pistol permit and I let them shoot one of mine we committed a crime. Wait times for permits are down to 3-6 months supposedly now but mine took 15 months to process a few years ago. Recently, they also made a law that you have to renew your permit every 5 years. My question is who is going to come knock on my door if I don't do it right away...

Don't worry though, your ability to drive as a 16 year old is considered the same as a 95 year old and you never have to retest. I was just at the DMV renewing my license and they just say "read that line" and as long as you can see it you're good to go.

OP -- are you concerned your wife is going to get ambushed or something? And how much training is she/you going to go through to smoothly access and engage with the weapon out of the trunk / use the vehicle for cover and maneuvering? Just because you go out and buy a Porsche GT3RS doesn't make you a track expert if you get what I'm saying. I think, well, it is actually overkill but hey if you want your wife to rock an AR-15 in the trunk have at it. I'm mostly just curious as to why you hold this mindset she needs more than a 9mm or .45 like this is the Helmand Province... Like, what scenario have you drawn up in your mind that she'd run into where getting an AR out of the trunk is the necessary response? She at risk for encounters by belt fed weapons on the daily?
Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 PM

2018 E300
By the way, OP, I just noticed your name, you're the same NFA Review Channel from YouTube. I watch your channel, great stuff!
Thanks for watching!
Old 05-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG View Post
In NY you must have a concealed carry permit just to handle or purchase a pistol. Technically if I take a friend to the range who doesn't have a pistol permit and I let them shoot one of mine we committed a crime.............
Wow! You're telling me that our laws are more lax than NY's? WTF?

As long as the person under my supervision doesn't have a firearms ban, I can bring anyone to the range who has a trigger finger.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5

As long as the person under my supervision doesn't have a firearms ban, I can bring anyone to the range who has a trigger finger.
NY is up there with the most strict states, if not the most. California and Connecticut as well. We had something called the SAFE ACT go through the pipeline a few years ago. Since, some of it has been ruled unconstitutional. For example, it banned anything with a magazine capacity greater than 7 rounds. So, by law, if you had a pistol mag (not even rifle) that could hold 10 rounds you'd have to take it to an FFL (or some sort of professional) and have a pin welded in so the magazine could not physically hold more than 7 rounds. High capacity mags are still banned so basically 30rd+ mags/drums. It was bananas but that part has at least been ruled unconstitutional. Furthermore, it banned the sale of rifles with pistol grips, in other words, it banned the sale of AR-15's and all currently owned "assault" style rifles had to be registered with the state. Therefore, when they went to confiscate them, they knew right where to go. Obviously an extremely small percentage of owners registered their rifles, furthermore, state police who would be in charge of removing weapons from citizens basically said go F yourself, you do it...

Here's a link to some of the shenanigans in a nice, simple, short, powerpoint: https://safeact.ny.gov/sites/default...edFeatures.pdf

They even came out with a "NY compliant" AR platform as seen below. Yes, it is this ridiculous... Notice how it doesn't have a pistol grip and is more like a shotgun and the buttstock is... different.... Because that makes all the difference in the world...

Last edited by PurpleHeartAMG; 05-13-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM

My God, NY should ask to join Canada....and even then, your laws would then be more lax....

Mags designed specifically for CF pistols; 10 rounds. Mags for CF rifles, 5 rounds. A rivet or anything in the mag to limit capacity will do. Except RF, sky's the limit. Using a pistol mag in a rifle = legal. The onus is on what the mag was designed for, not what it's used in.

Such a farce. I've suddenly gone bonkers, decide to waltz into a church/mosque etc to massacre as many people as I can. "Oh wait" I tell myself. "I better bring more 30-rounder mags limited to 5 rounds. I could simply remove the rivet, but that would make it a prohibited article here in Kanuckistan, but that would be illegal."

I swear, the gun laws that they come up with are so "feel-good" to the masses, yet do nothing to limit wack-jobs from performing their deadly deeds. The problem is society and the lack of attention to those who need attention.

Last edited by peter2772000; 05-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Wow, I feel blessed in GA lol. I can go buy any gun I want and take it home the same visit ,as long as it isn't an NFA item (full auto, short barreled rifles amd shotguns, suppressors, explosives/launchers (Yes I could buy an M203 or M320 40mm grenade launcher if i fill out the proper NFA paperwork and wait a few months lol.))
Old 05-14-2018, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Wow, I feel blessed in GA lol. I can go buy any gun I want and take it home the same visit ,as long as it isn't an NFA item (full auto, short barreled rifles amd shotguns, suppressors, explosives/launchers (Yes I could buy an M203 or M320 40mm grenade launcher if i fill out the proper NFA paperwork and wait a few months lol.))
Even now, with a permit, when I purchase a pistol I have to take my receipt to the county clerk, wait for however long it takes to get a county worth of people through, add my new purchase onto my permit, and then I can go pick it up.

With the m203, can you get HE rounds in GA?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM

2018 E300
In FL and we can carry NFA items in our vehicles, just not concealed on our person. I keep a suppressed 10.5" AR15, 6 Mags, and two sets of armor (his/hers) in my Tundra under seat safe.

Here is my console safe. I keep a G34 in there these days.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Even now, with a permit, when I purchase a pistol I have to take my receipt to the county clerk, wait for however long it takes to get a county worth of people through, add my new purchase onto my permit, and then I can go pick it up.

With the m203, can you get HE rounds in GA?
You could get 40mm HEDP, but you would have to fill out NFA paperwork and get a tax stamp for each round that contained more than 7 grams of explosive.

That being said, rounds are not serialized so I don't know how it would work, or even where you coyls get HEDP 40mm in the civilian market. Smoke, CS gas, buckshot/flachette, flare, and chalk training rounds you can just buy off the internet or at a store.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW View Post
In FL and we can carry NFA items in our vehicles, just not concealed on our person. I keep a suppressed 10.5" AR15, 6 Mags, and two sets of armor (his/hers) in my Tundra under seat safe.
Again, I have to ask, why is your mindset such that you need 180ish rounds and body armor at your disposal? I want to stress I'm not sitting here saying you're crazy I'm just genuinely curious what scenarios you draw up in your mind with which the conclusion is to have body armor for two and an SBR nearby in the state of Florida. If survival is the priority then, in my opinion (just an opinion) you're doing it wrong because that type of load out means you're looking to make the news as a hero charging into a building going after a threat if given the chance rather than simply get out of a bad spot and survive.

Unless you guys do like a spontaneous date night where you decide to rob a bank out of the blue, you know, to keep things exciting, and if that's the case then you're doing it right and keep up the good work. Just make sure you hit a location far from home, canvas the area thoroughly for cameras first, park away from all fields of view of cameras / witnesses, wear a mask that fits well and does not impede your vision, have multiple durable bags so that when the dye packs go off not all the cash is hit, and get in and out in under 120 seconds.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Again, I have to ask, why is your mindset such that you need 180ish rounds and body armor at your disposal? I want to stress I'm not sitting here saying you're crazy I'm just genuinely curious what scenarios you draw up in your mind with which the conclusion is to have body armor for two and an SBR nearby in the state of Florida. If survival is the priority then, in my opinion (just an opinion) you're doing it wrong because that type of load out means you're looking to make the news as a hero charging into a building going after a threat if given the chance rather than simply get out of a bad spot and survive.

Unless you guys do like a spontaneous date night where you decide to rob a bank out of the blue, you know, to keep things exciting, and if that's the case then you're doing it right and keep up the good work. Just make sure you hit a location far from home, canvas the area thoroughly for cameras first, park away from all fields of view of cameras / witnesses, wear a mask that fits well and does not impede your vision, have multiple durable bags so that when the dye packs go off not all the cash is hit, and get in and out in under 120 seconds.
Why do you care so much man? This is the US and he has the right to do so. I carry 2+ firearms and a complement of ammunition wherever i go too, and, depending where I'm going, a Level IIIA bulletproof vest. You never know what can happen out there.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Why do you care so much man? This is the US and he has the right to do so. I carry 2+ firearms and a complement of ammunition wherever i go too, and, depending where I'm going, a Level IIIA bulletproof vest. You never know what can happen out there.
I've got no problem that he / they do carry all of this. I'm just sort of getting at that putting a rifle in the trunk of the wife's car would mean she'd have to stop the car, leave it (thus removing herself from cover), fumble around retrieving it, set herself up, then completely reassess the situation. I just feel like having that mindset that if something is going down I MUST get to my rifle is actually putting her deeper into harms way.

I've got all kinds of guns. Again, my thing here is that people approach / train for things the best way possible. And again, it is just my opinion. But if I were in his shoes, my wife was in a sedan and being shot at, I'd tell her pedal to the metal and get out of the area as quickly as possible and then stay away. Don't go back in once you've grabbed your armor and rifle looking for a fight.

Similarly, if someone is carjacking you, you don't grab the rifle from the trunk. You grab a handgun from within arms reach, which they are already set up for.

But again, I'm not saying DONT do it and give me your guns. I've got AR's, FN FALs, custom .308 bolt action, 6.5 creedmore, levers, .22's, shotties, like 14 pistols... Definitely pro 2A but also pro lets make the right decisions when it comes to protecting loved ones and remove them from danger and/or minimize it as much as possible rather than increase the risk and potential for poor decision making.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:06 PM

'12 E63 AMG

You don't have Bloomberg & his $$$ mucking up your country.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Yeah, lucky us.
In 2015, we were the first country in the modern world to end gun registration. Long guns, yet guns nevertheless.

Enter Turdeau;
His liberal a$$ is bringing in more ridiculous gun laws this fall to fight gang violence. Yet the term "gangs" isn't used once in his proposed law.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: