Other Cars Discussion of non Mercedes Benz vehicles

6MT or PDK? What's the perfect Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 03:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Question 6MT or PDK? What's the perfect Cayman?

Hi all,

I drove three similar 981 Caymans and I think I'm homing in on my perfect 981 Cayman build.

First I drove a 2014 Cayman S with the PDK automatic gearbox and the x73 sports suspension. That car had amazing chassis feedback and handling, but it definitely beat me up with its firm ride. And it was low enough that it would scrape on driveways, which made it harder to use in town.

Then I drove two 2015 Cayman GTSes back-to-back. (My write-up of that fun is here.) One had a 6MT with the PASM adjustable suspension and the other was a PDK with PASM and PTV torque vectoring.

The PASM suspension definitely resolves the x73 suspension's firm ride and too low stance. PASM is so comfortable and completely dailyable! But, the PASM suspension is missing so much of the road feedback from the x73. I felt much less connected in the PASM cars.

And when it comes to 6MT vs PDK, I prefer the 6MT because it is one of the tightest and smoothest manuals I've rowed, but that long second gear (83 mph at the redline) is ridiculous. The PDK is better geared and would be my pick for track driving so I could focus on my line rather than my footwork.

After all these drives I think I'd suffer with the x73 sports suspension for sublime poise and feedback and take the 6MT for maximally satisfying shifts. Sports Chrono, PTV, and the 18-way seats are must-haves, too. I didn't notice the 15hp difference between the S and GTS motors, so I could take either option.

What's your perfect spec for a 981 Cayman?

Best,
Mike